“Exactly what the doctor ordered!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Canada
“Exactly what the doctor ordered!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Sirenis Overall: Over the many years, we have been to numerous all inclusive resorts, including Mexico on the Riviera Maya and also on the pacific side, Cuba and Dominican Republic, most of them 5 stars. We visited the Grand Sirenis from June 16 to June 23, 2014 for my 50th birthday and we can say that it has been quite a pleasurable experience. So much so that we never go back to the same place, simply because there are too many places to see in this world, but for the Grand Sirenis, we would make an exception. We upgraded to a 3rd floor sea view and it turned out to be a great decision. We were in room 2952 in the Naab building. We had spectacular sea view with some palm trees between us and the view. Also, the building's location is great because you get the fabulous sunrise on the sea but after a day in the sun, you want the shade and by the time we would make it back to the room, the balcony was in the shade. After taking a shower, you don't want to sweat in the sun again and there was always a nice breeze. We had 10 minutes of rain during the whole week and it was around supper time when we were showering, so much for rainy season?? Many times when we travelled, we had that light musky smell in the room simply because you are in the jungle (or other reasons?). P.S. We once had that same odor in a nice condo in Florida. I don't know about the rooms on the 1st floors, but there was absolutely no smell in our room and it was super clean. Our friendly maid was diligently making the beds, changing the towels and doing a different animal designs with the towels everyday and filling up the fridge everyday as well. The resort is also very clean, including the restaurants and facilities. And one extraordinary thing as well, no insects took any of my blood all week!! Usually, it's a nightmare for me and it's the same thing in Canada. P.S. I once got a mosquito bite on a "warmer" (-5C) day in December here in Canada. Wherever I go, they quickly find me and it's not only mosquitoes, any blood sucking insects!! I don't know if they are around other times of the year, but this time, nothing!! Even after 3 major walks in all of the resort very early in the morning next to the jungle. So for anyone who is a non-consented major blood donor like me, you will be very happy to know that there no blood sucking insects in June on the Riviera Maya. I had a can of Off, didn't use it once!! The resort is very big and I read reviews from people complaining about the long walks. For us, it wasn't a problem at all, it's not that big of a walk and besides, they do have golf carts passing by quite often with stops marked with little flags all over the resort. There are also elevators in all the buildings for upper floors. Speaking of buildings, they have 2 concierges in all of the buildings which was really great! No line up to book your à la carte restaurants for the week! They have a laptop and they do it for you with a smile! They are also there for any questions or complaints you might have. Also, I had read that they invite you to a 1 hour 1/2 lobster dinner for a presentation and I knew it was for timeshare, as they are pressured to try to sell it. So, I politely declined and that was the end of it! The concierges are there everyday from 7:30AM to 7:30PM but they change shifts. The ones we met were Adrian, Isaac and Merlin in the Naab building and I'm giving them 5 stars for their excellent service. They were very friendly, fun and kind! Just like all the personnel on the entire resort! We are also giving Lou-Ann from the spa a 5 stars as well!! We are not really spa people but on the day of my b-day, my husband and I went to the Sirenis spa for a 1 hour 1/2 hydrotherapy and also a 30 minutes massage, followed by an excellent meal after while watching the dolphins jumping around in their big pool! Very pleasant!
Food: We also read many complaints about the food. We are from Montreal and without bragging, Montreal is well renowned for the food, so we are used to eat very well. We found that the food was quite good at the main buffet with plenty of variety if you are a picky eater and the food was fresh. We were allowed 3 à la carte restaurants during our week stay and we chose the Mexican El Patio (after all we were in Mexico!), the steakhouse and of course, the Japanese. The Mexican was traditional Mexican food and it was quite good with a cute presentation. We were celebrating my 50th birthday while we were in Mexico and for my birthday, we went to the steakhouse restaurant El Rancho. My husband mentioned that it was my birthday while I was visiting the ladies' room and they brought me a plate with little cakes with a candle and all the staff came and sang happy birthday and then they shook my hand, which was sweet! On our last night, we tried the Japanese restaurant Ikebana and it was quite good as well, like all the Japanese restaurants in resorts but I was pleasantly surprised that they had hot Saké. They also have a coffee shop which has great coffees! It was a nice touch after the evening meal to take a walk, sit down at the coffee shop terrace and have a good cup of coffee.
Beach: It is true that the beach is not that big and rocky when you go in the water. There was also a good current and enough waves while we were there as well. We had bought water shoes and we ended up needing them. I don't know about other months of the year but the water visibility was quite poor and therefore, the snorkeling was not that great. But the surrounding bay is very nice and they kept a mini Mayan ruin on the site. Again, I don't know about other months of the year, but there was plenty of chairs and palapas available. From May to October, it's nesting season for the sea green turtles and therefore, there were a lot of turtles swimming next to you which was absolutely great if you are into that, like me!
Pool: We are not big pool people since we have one at home but we did end up going to the main pool one afternoon and we found it was a little loud but that's because we were near the main activities. We didn't go to the others and therefore, we can't comment. But they had a big swim up bar in that pool with seats in water on both sides and the service was very friendly. P.S. I don't particularly like mojitos that much but they had the best mojitos I ever had and that was all over the resort!
Excursions: We didn't book any of the suggested excursions, we did our own excursions. Sirenis has a Budget car rental desk and one day, we rented a car which was very clean with A/C. We drove to Akumal which is a lovely little town. Akumal means "Place of turtles" in the Mayan language, so you are pretty sure to find turtles there. We were told that 6 months ago, they changed the law and you can't go in the water now with long fins, only short ones in order to protect the coral reef. We had our own mask and tuba, which are not that great and no fins. We met Mexicans there who for $50 U.S. for the both of us, lend us excellent masks, tubas, short fins and life jacket and one of them brought us in the open sea, where you are guaranteed to see turtles. And turtles we saw, huge ones, about 3-4 feet circumference!! And also many fish!! Unfortunately, the coral is not very healthy, in fact many areas are completely white, which means that the coral is dead. It's a good thing that they are finally imposing laws, every little bit helps! But for that specific excursion, you first of all have to be a pretty good swimmer, or at least very comfortable in water and also in pretty good shape because you do have to swim a while before you reach the area where turtles are in abundance. Definitely worth while because Akumal beach is very nice and for those into scuba diving, they have an amazing diving area there with many showers and full equipment and the guys working there are very professional and friendly. After Akumal, we drove to Tulum where we visited the ruins for a very small entrance fee. It is truly a beautiful and well kept site and they also have a beautiful beach, also very worthwhile! On another day, we took a taxi from the resort ($20 U.S. each way) to Playa Del Carmel's port where we took a ferry to Cozumel. We then rented a car and drove the whole island. Apart of the small town of St-Miguel (town in Cozumel where the ferry arrives) Cozumel is not very developed. It has kept its spectacular natural beauty! We also ended up in a little typical Mexican town called El Cedral where you can visit a Tequila museum and also buy quite expensive but very good tequila! ;)
In conclusion: We highly recommend the Grand Sirenis, it is truly a top notch hotel but without any pretention! Here is a video that I made from all the pictures of our trip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spiYBDpcmGk Hope you enjoy!! And if ever you might have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Until then, happy vacations!! :o)

Room Tip: Try our room!! 2952 (Naab building, 3rd floor), very nice sea view, always slightly breezy, very cle...
16 Thank AquaOceanCanada
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hola AquaOceanCanada,

First of all congratulations and thank you very much for staying in Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for this unforgettable occasion and taking the time to write your positive impressions; I am sure this has helped many travelers confirm that the Grand Sirenis Resort is the perfect hotel for their birthday celebration.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed the room, the animal designs with the towels, the food, our beach and the most important our service; it is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Adrian, Isaac, Merlin ,Lou-Ann and all your friends that you made at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Sirenis Riviera.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Polish first
Yateley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks in July 2014 as a group of five adults. This hotel is one of the very best because:

First impressions are important. The entrance and the hotel grounds are quite breathtaking. A gigantic sign and water fountain, a long long drive way and finally two identical voutred entrance halls.

The second thing that strikes is the size of the complex. I lost count: so many restaurants, swimming pools, bars. Quite daunting at first but it soon starts to feel like home
The food is great in the main restaurant with an enormous choice and excellent service. This could become a little repetitive after two weeks but the large choice of a la carte restaurants prevents that happening

We liked all of the a la carte restaurants but particularly the Japanese where the show is great and the steakhouse where the steak was perfect

There were many people who made our stay memorable, so many we cannot mention them all but here are just a few:

Omar who took us on a cycling tour, was very friendly and helpful and concerned about our safety

Roberto who was our waiter when we went to the Italian restaurant could not have been more attentive

The people who cleaned our room so well every day even when they had to work around us as we sat around like large lumps

The bar staff all of whom should get awards for the speed and efficiency with which they mix cocktails. Order a Long Island Iced Tea: Five spirits, perfectly mixed in 20 seconds. I videoed it and put it in YouTube.

The waitresses who tolerated my pathetic and ultimately futile attempts to learn Spanish

Nowhere is paradise. We have no complaints at all about the Grand Serenis just a few wishes for an even better stay next time:

It would have been good if there was a bar with modern music. The lobby played muzak, the disco played…well disco music.

Maybe a bit more could be made of the beach. The beach bar would have been a great place for old people music, beer and a BBQ

Better pillows?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Ivorwopper
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hola Ivorwopper,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your group vacation. We always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions, and comments which help us find out about their preferences.

I am very proud to have received your personal comments about our staff members especially Omar, Roberto and our housekeepeer, I will gladly pass on your compliments to each one and let them know that they make the difference with the impeccable service.

I am really happy and enthusiastic we met your expectations and would love to welcome you back one day.

Joice Rivadeneyra
Assistant Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Recently visited this hotel with my wife on honeymoon.

We had a great time, met some fantastic people and all the staff where fantastic.

Alberto and Amalcar are two fantastic bar men and made us very welcome every time we where at the bar. 5/5

Abraham at the front desk was also fantastic. Any problems we had he sorted them for us. 5/5

Rigo and Fernando the bell boys are brilliant. They sorted our bags, give us advice on day trips and lifted us at our room regularly and took us where ever we needed to go at the hotel resort. 5/5

The only complaint I would have with this place would be the food in the buffet. Everything tasted the same, the butter was sour, and well the sausages and bacon I only had to look at it and I was nearly sick over the food. If your looking an English or irish fry don't expect to get it here. I lived on pancakes for 10 days with no butter on them.

The restaurants where good especially Japanese. The steak house and French restaurant is quite good too. The Brazilian could of been better. The meat was quite raw and the man who welcomes everyone at the door could of been a bit more pleasant. I forgot my restaurant ticket and he looked at me as if I had two heads when I told him. The couple behind us also commented on him.

The spa is amazing. We just went to hydro pools and steam and sauna rooms and it was great.

Overall it is a good place and you will have a good holiday. The staff are fantastic and I would go back.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Gavin B
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked the holiday via Thomson and was told we would fly on the new Dreamliner. We upgraded our seats to premium for the extra room due to my husbands mobility issues so he would be more comfortable on the 10 hour flight and really looked forward to the holiday. When we arrived at the airport there wasn't a Dreamliner insight!!!! So we didn't have the luxury or extra space we paid for or were promised. I am very disappointed with Thomson and recommend you double check all Thomson promises for the Dreamliner flights as apparently they are not available from all airports yet. Think this should have been explained at booking to us as we would have chosen a different airport to to fly from!!!!

After this disappointing start to our holiday, a 10 hour flight and an hour and twenty minute transfer on the coach from Cancan airport I couldn't wait to get to the hotel and hoped it would be as good as the brochure pictures. We'll I can safely say we were not disappointed. As soon as we got off the coach to check in we were handed a glass of chilled fruit juice, which was greatly appreciated after the long journey. Check-in was swift and painless and the staff very helpful explaining the hotel layout and all the usual things a new guest needs to know. The bell boys then took us and our luggage to our rooms. The bell boys couldn't do enough for us they were so helpful and became good friends of ours during our stay. Without Rigo, Ever, Rosalio and Edgar we would have struggled to get around at this hotel. The complex is huge. Bigger than we realised when we booked the trip. And as my husband can't walk any great distances If the bell boys hadn't been there we really would have struggled to get about. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Having said that nothing was too much trouble for any of the hotel staff. Natalia and Jonathan were on concierge and we're also superb. Helping with anything and everything they could.

Our room was spacious and clean, however we did have one of the rooms with the hole in the bathroom wall. This didn't bother us as a couple but might be difficult for families sharing a room. I'm sure if this was a problem to you the hotel would move your room as they can't do enough for you as a guest. The ground staff also worked tirelessly to keep the gardens looking immaculate.

The food was good. Lots of choice at the buffet with themed food nights like Oriental on a Sunday and also Mexican. We tried the Brazilian, Steakhouse and Mediterranean al a carte. Noa the chef at the steakhouse was brilliant and we had our steaks cooked to perfection.

My only critique of this hotel is the lack of sun loungers with shade around the quiet pool. Although there are signs up everywhere saying you can't reserve sun loungers this still happens and unless you are up and out before dawn you struggle to get anything poolside and may find it easier to go to the beach instead. No matter if you are poolside or on the beach the waitresses are very attentive and we never found ourselves without refreshments. Do not feed the iguanas or raccoons! It's obvious that previous guests have. My daughters were surrounded by 11 iguanas at one point while trying to eat their chips a lunchtime. They don't keep there distance either they charge at you and even jump all over the sun-beds to get at the food.

Just a couple of words of caution. The marble floors in the lobby's are highly polished and there for very slippery. We did see a couple of people fall during our stay. Also avoid using the USD ATM on site. It's nothing to do with the hotel and the charges are horrendous for withdrawing money. There is a $5.85 charge for using the machine which I consider reasonable but the the next screen says you will also be charged 10% of your withdrawal in currency fees. so we would have been charged $56.00 for withdrawing $500. Shocking! Don't take prepaid currency cards they are a waste of time given the ATM charges take lots of pesos.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious but I'd recommend a room on the second floor b...
11 Thank Wendy H
Suffolk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Overall, the resort is beautiful and we had a really nice time. But unfortunately, this is only a 5* resort experience if you have the money to be able to afford the experiences. Also, here are a few hints or tips that i think would make your holiday easier/better:
- If you haven't already booked your holiday to the Grand Sirenis, when you do, request a room on a higher floor. The hotel blocks are built around a jungle area where lots of little critters and animals live and often make their way into the hotel blocks.While having a better view on the top floor, you also have less ants crawling into your room.
- If you order room service, of which, unless you have paid to be in the premium travellers club, there is a very restricted menu, no matter how much you order, the waiting time for your food will always be 45 minutes to an hour. After having a stomach upset for 3 days and finally deciding to eat something small, i ordered 1 margherita pizza and i was left waiting for 75 minutes. Also, most of the travellers who ordered room service put theirs trays outside their rooms at night to be taken away. Again, doing this has attracted the animals into the hotel blocks to eat the remaining food on the plates. so unless you want a raccoon scratching at your hotel room door because they want more food the night after youve ordered room service and left the trays outside, i would recommend leaving the trays inside your room until you leave for the day the next morning and then put your trays outside. Because of all the people bustling about at different times in the morning there are far fewer animals about at this time. plus this helps answer the hotels request for you not to feed the animals around the resort as they are meant to be the pest control.
- On your first morning, if you are travelling from the UK with first choice or thomson, you are asked to join them in a welcome meeting to give you all the information you will need to enjoy your holiday, such as trips and the local area. The thomson reps did a great job in our welcome meeting and provided us with lots of helpful information. But obviously, they lead you to believe that the excursions that thomson provided were a damn sight better than any others provided by the companies within the resort because of their "value added" feature. Having not much money but wanting to go out on a trip, we booked on to their cheapest trip and went snorkelling to see the turtles with "Underwater world". Our guide was lovely and very helpful, but it was dissapointing to overhear a conversation whilst at the beach a few days later between a hotel customer and a member of staff for a different snorkelling company walking around the resort trying to sell their own tickets on to a trip. I was very annoyed to hear that this company was offering the same amount of time for snorkelling and seeing the turtles, yet it was half the price and just out to sea from the beach at the resort. We didn't have to travel far, but the price was much more expensive and the only added feature to our trip was that we also got to snorkel in a freshwater cenote afterwards, but there wasnt much more to see anyway. So i would strongly recommend comparing all trips before assuming that one, or specifically the thomson was the best. Also, the thomson reps didnt exactly know the cost of the departure tax and from booking our holiday through to leaving cancun airport back to manchester we were told 4 different prices.
- If you feel like you still need the internet while being on holiday, there is wi-fi available in the resort. however, you have to pay for it, and i dont think it was cheap. plus the signal is not always great and so you dont always get it. if you only want to check in once in a while to see whats going on with the world, the thomson reps allow you to use their ipads if they are free instead of paying for the internet.
- The a la carte restaurants are only open for service in the evenings and they can get booked up pretty quickly, so i would arrange with you concierge quickly once you arrive which restaurants you want to go to. The French restaurant costs extra if you want to go there, but the others are all included. We tried the mexican, japanese, steakhouse and brazilian restaurant. All were good, except the braziliant restaurant just appeared boring and dull and the front of house waiter had a face like he wanted us out of the door before we'd even got in it. Also, our food was slightly undercooked in the steakhouse restaurant, so when they ask you how you want it, order it a bit stronger than you want it so it comes out perfect. We asked for our food to be cooked medium-rare and medium-well and they came out rare and medium-rare. I would also advise you to spread out your restaurant bookings as you only get a set allowance of reservations. we didnt start going to the restaurants until our second week and by the end of the first we were getting very very bored of the food within the buffet as apart from breakfast, every mealtime had exactly the same food and it wasnt exactly delicious.
- Finally, we would have loved to visit the spa, but it was just too much money for us to afford. so if you want to go, make sure you keep AT LEAST 2000 pesos separate for a couples trip to the spa.
It probably sounds like a massive rant, but some of these things would have been really helpful to know before we went as not knowing just caused annoyment. The resort is beautiful, if you like getting involved in the games and activities the reps are quite funny, and everyone is very friendly and helpful, especially the bar staff. if you order a drink and stay seated at the bar they will more than like refill your drinks before your halfway finished! we became one bar mans little guinea pigs as he made up drinks and gave them to us through out the night! even without having much money, you can have a great time at this hotel, and as the season gets busier im sure it would be even more amazing than our trip was.

Room Tip: Request a high room. It provides for a better view over the trees, plus less ants.
9 Thank Danni K
Slough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked this resort with Thomson and travelled on 20th July 2014.
I don't usually write reviews but having read most of the reviews on here prior to my arrival and freaked myself out a bit. I would like to come on and give a bit more of information on my stay.

Service - Was good, from the moment you land at cancun there are people there who want to help you, most Mexicans are working for tips as this is a good source of income, however they will give you the best possible service to earn that tip before expecting it. The bar staff are very quick considering how many people is at each bar each evening and what I like is that most of the time you are near the pool or beach, or even watching entertainment, the waitresses come to you so you dont have to get up to the bar.
Restaurant service was pretty standard. Most staff are very attentive learning your drinks after the first round and keeping them coming.

Value:
We paid £1080 pp for two weeks all inclusive inc flights. Very good value for money.

Sleep quality
The beds are a bit firm, and the pillows are a bit hard, but it didn't affect me in sleeping, one thing that did really bug me was the bed sheet, it was too small and didn't tuck in around the mattress so you woke up in the middle of the night and you found yourself laying on a bare mattress that god knows how many other people have slept on YUCK!

Cleanliness
Everywhere in this resort is really clean, like hospital clean. Considering the size of the resort and how many people that are there, that is really impressive.
The maids didn't clean our room until the afternoon's though, which was rather annoying when we had come back in out of the sun.

Location
It is around a 2 hour transfer from cancun airport, and that is thankfully that when we arrived went directly to our resort because it was the closest. On our return it took closer to 3 hours as we had to do 3 pickups. Travelling to cancun takes approximately 1.5 hours so no good if you want to see cancun as well. Playa del carmen is 20 minutes and most of the parks (xcaret/xel-ha) etc can be reached in 30 minutes.

Rooms
Are large, with bed and seating area, desk and balcony
we had a large spa tub in our room that looked lovely until we filled it up and a clump of hair blew out of one of the jets. The staff wasn't to know i suppose, the tub looked very clean before we filled it up so it obviously had been cleaned.
WARNING, you have to pay 750 pesos for the safe.

Beverage selection
EXCELLENT. premium spirits available if you ask the bartender for the exact brand(jim bean) for example he will give you it, the cocktails had a huge menu and we really enjoyed the baileys.

There are 8 A la Carte available they are: Steakhouse, Cajun, Mexican, Japanese, French, Mediterranean, Brazilian, Italian.
We ate in the Steakhouse,cajun,mexican, japanese and brazilian. All of which are excellent.

the buffet restaurant has theme nights three times a week (italian, oriental and mexican) and there is always choice there when you eat.

Room Tip: High floor rooms are the quietest
12 Thank Andrew G
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a very large resort with lots of space and different areas to spend your time. The bedrooms are very comfortable, large, clean and the AC works extremely well. Mini bar restocked daily which is included in the all inclusive. However, the bathroom is more or less in the bedroom. Although a separate room, it is not sealed but separated by a piece of frosted (in our case but some I think nothing!) glass which is fixed at a few points. The toilet and shower doors are also open top and bottom. Unless you are sharing with someone you know extremely well I think this would be embarrassing.

There are several pools. However the two with swim up bars play VERY loud music until 5pm each day with a DJ chatting as well. The smaller, quieter areas get full very early.

The beach is a great alternative. Lots of well spaced out sun beds, good natural umbrellas and excellent waitress service from the two bars. Lunch there also good, BBQ, salads, chips etc.

Breakfast very good with a wide selection and served until 11.30. On our last morning there was cauliflower cheese!!!! Not recommended when you're thinking about a long flight home!

There are a number of al a carte restaurants to choose from. Our favourite was the Japanese and our least favourite the Mexican. The Italian we visited twice and on both occasions they got my order wrong and on our second visit we felt very rushed, they brought our main course whilst we were still eating our starter and our pudding before we were ready as well.

You have to pre book these and are limited to three a week. We had heard that you have to pay for drinks in these but this is only the case if you don't want the house wine, local beer or selection of soft drinks offered. The other general restaurants are ok. Very noisy sometimes and with a random selection of things which can be a bit overwhelming. However service was good, tables nicely laid and everything clean and nicely presented.

We tried room service once, included in all inclusive and it was terrible.

The coffee shop is good, has a few tables outside and stays open into the evening. Ice cream parlour also good and a great place to cool down!

The two bars are totally lacking in atmosphere. It's like sitting in an aircraft hanger. There is no outside seating to eat or drink in the evening apart from a handful of tables on the terrace.

The reception staff were very helpful and all other staff very friendly and polite. We overslept and missed our first morning 'welcome meeting' and subsequently never saw a rep the whole two weeks.

• Stayed June 2014