“Amazing Holiday!”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing Holiday!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What an amazing holiday there is not a bad thing I can say about this hotel and feel it should be shouted about! I have never filled a review in online before but feel this hotel is well worthy and for everyone to know how fantastic it is as people are always too quick to complain and not compliment.
Me and my partner went in June this year for 2 weeks for a relaxing break and loved every minute and barely left the resort as there was so much to do.
We mainly sat by the lively pool each day and loved the entertainment team especially Jamie and Mario. Playing water polo and volleyball each day was fab and we loved the swim up bar.
The 3 members of staff who made our holiday were Iver, Luis and Ibanue. They worked on our bar and couldn't do enough for us. They remembered what drinks we liked and made us surprise drinks throughout the day and kept the bar lively. Perfect service!!!

The hotel was the cleanest I have ever been in. The whole place was immaculate and the staff were constantly cleaning and maintaining high standards.

The gym and spa facilities were fabulous and we had an amazing aloe Vera treatment on the 1st week and was well looked after.

The restaurants were great and had plenty of options. I am a vegetarian and usually struggle but nothing was too much trouble. We even visited the Brazilian restaurant and I was informed I wouldn't be able to eat but Angel ensured chef made me something which was great as I was planning on eating in the buffet after my partner had experienced the Brazilian.
Our favourite was the Japanese.
The only advise I would give is that you make your meal reservations as soon as you arrive as they do book up very early on so you may miss out on certain days and slots.

The beach was gorgeous and there was plenty of sun loungers so no need to worry about reserving or getting up early.
The canoes, peddle boats and snorkels are All free to use and the jet skis very cheap.

My only gripe is only a small one but it should be noted. I was slightly disappointed to have to pay for wifi in such a luxury hotel. Have never had to pay before and it also wasn't very good in our room 2500's block. It only worked when I was near the hotel lobby which defeats the object really.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to any young couples looking for a gorgeous resort that offers top notch service and plenty to do.
We will definitely be returning :-)

8 Thank Emma W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I traveled to Riviera Maya, Mexico for a week in July with 3 others. It was my second time in this beautiful area of Mexico - last year, I stayed at the Grand Bahia resort and this was definitely an upgrade from that. Our flight was a late one, so we arrived in Cancun around 7pm and took the shuttle to the resort, which was just over an hour away and checked in by 9:30pm. The check-in was quick and we headed to the buffet for some food before heading to our rooms in one of their resort shuttles.

ROOMS:Our room had the AC blasting, which was awesome for the hot, humid weather. It was also big with a balcony, tidy and most importantly, clean. Our bathroom was large was well - oh let me mention that I loved taking hot showers after the beach because the water pressure was great. The pool is only minutes away and the beach is about a 5 min walk from our rooms in the 2500 building. The lobby was further for us but we didn't mind the nice walk. If we got lucky, we were able to hop on a shuttle. The only thing about theit shuttle service is that they are more frequent late at night and had a real hard time finding one during the day. If we did find one, they were for "members only."

POOL/BEACH: We got up bright and early for breakfast and to get spots at the pool or the beach. We had a harder time finding chairs at the pool because even by 9am, they were full! Well, there was noone using them, only towels on them. The beach was easier to get chairs since they're 2 beach areas - one for mayan beach buildings and the other for riviera maya. The snorkeling area is great and it's right by the riviera maya beach. We saw so many fish there! The ocean water is perfect and I already miss it! We did the parasailing and jetski activities which is extra, and the booth is by the beach snack bar.

FOOD: let me just tell you they had the best food! The main buffet, pool snack bar, beach snack bar, and the beach BBQ all had amazing and delicious food. The last resort I was in can't even compare. They also have theme food nights like Mexican on Tuesday and Oriental on Fridays. The a la cartes were booked with our concierge the day after we checked in, The concierge are available in the room buildings on the first floor. They were super friendly and helpful. We booked the steakhouse (3/5), cajun (3/5) and brazillian (5/5). We were hoping for the Japanese but it was booked solid the entire week we were there.

DRINKS/BAR: They have great drinks and the bars are never too full to get them. The two lobby bars do get crowded at night time though and if you want an area to sit with your friends, you'll need to get there right after dinner. By 9-10pm, we couldn't find anywhere to sit around the lobby. The servers are always coming around to take drink orders from you as well so make sure you tip them!

EXCURSIONS: We went to Xplor (full day), Cenote Maya + Ek'Balam (full day) and Playa Del Carmen.
1. Xplor ($169USD) was extremely busy as it was peak season and it took around 30-40 minutes to register & get our helmets & locker keys. Another 2 hours waiting in line to go on the zip lines, and at least another 30 minutes for the keep through the jungle. rafting and swimming in the cenote had no lines. Rafting was serene, calm and beautiful in the cenote but with a bunch of other rafters, it's easy to bump into each other or block the narrow passageway. The food here was delicious too. The best part was definitely the zip lining, despite the long wai time.

2. Cenote Maya & Ek'Balam ($139USD) was probably the best excursion out of the three. Propelling down to the cenote maya and swimming in the huge underground cave was amazing. So much fun! After that, we were fed food by the locals - again super tasty. Then, we were driven to the archeological site of ek'balam! I totally recommend doing this excursion together. It's less commercial or less tourists.

3. Playa Del Carmen: we had fun walking through the lively streets of playa del carmen and visiting the restaurants for local food. I had the best fish tacos ever at Yo Amos Tacos. We also went to the beach, which was beautiful (much better than the beach at the resort because it's white sand with no seaweed/rocks/ etc). Wish we were there for longer though, to enjoy the beach more.

ENTERTAINMENT: They always had some kind of show or actvity going on and the entertainment team are so funny and friendly! We learned to dance on stage on one of the nights, which was memorable. The dancers and singers are very talented and put on a great show everynight. During the day, they kept everyone entertained by the pool or at the beach with volleyball, yoga, body pump, etc.

Overall, I had great experience here, I wish my stay was longer! I definitely recommend this resort to anyone considering going to the Mayan Riviera. Oh, one thing to note is that this resort is mainly families, not a lot of young people partying.

Room Tip: 2500's + were closer to the beach, but a longer walk to the lobby/main restaurant. If you want...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank FoodSisterhood
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hi FoodSisterhood,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your vacation. I know that our staff will be truly motivated by your kind words about your experiences.

I am glad to know you enjoyed our food, the bars, the majestic room, our beautiful beach and the concierge´s services; it’s good to hear you left happy with the concierges, we have desks distributed over the buildings so they can provide a quick and efficient service covering all the spots of the resort, which as you said it is huge.

I am happy and enthusiastic we met your expectations and would love to welcome you back one day and see your dance steps.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Me and my girlfriend have just got back from the grand sirenis and it was absolutely incredible! The place looks spectacular and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The room was very spacious and clean, the bathroom area was lovely and the jacuzzi bath was a great touch. The concierge were so helpful with any questions as well as booking the restaurants. The pool was really nice and the swim up bar is great. The only thing I would advise is that if you want sun loungers with an umbrella then you need to be up early...we hated having to do it but it was necessary if you wanted to avoid the sun. The pool side entertainment team were great. Charlie, Jamie, mario, Carlos and many others were all brilliant and very friendly, and the range of activities catered for the majority of people. The buffet had a good range of food and the restaurants were all amazing. We went to all 7 over our two weeks, highlights would be the Japanese, Brazilian and Mediterranean. The evening shows were all brilliant and over our two weeks there was only one or two shoes that were repeated, ranging from grease, the lion king and Chicago. The spa was also brilliant and would definitely recommend a visit. We did 4 excursions whilst their. The Captain Hook boat trip which was really good and the entertainment was too class. We also went to tulum jungle and our guide Miguel was brilliant, very knowledge and friendly. Chichen Itza was also brilliant and a must do. Again our guide, Sergio was incredible, knowledgeable, friendly and made the whole bus laugh. We also went swimming with dolphins at Delphinus. I'd recommend this over the one at the hotel as you get more time with dolphins and less people in your group.
I'd recommend this place 100%, we had a lovely holiday in a really amazing resort. 5/5!!

• Stayed July 2014
8 Thank JakeG1991
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hola JakeG1991,

Thank you for sharing your comments with all the readers, I appreciate your time and dedication as we think it is a good way to constantly keep improving our service.

I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed our rooms, food , the shows, the pool, our beautiful spa and our staffs’ friendliness; I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Charlie, Jamie, Mario and Carlos.

Thank you also for bringing to our attention the chairs and palapas on the beach; I Would like to share our umbrella´s policy “ The Pool and beach seats are not permitted to be reserved we feel it is necessary for those who truly are looking for a Seat”

Thank you also for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Sirenis Overall: Over the many years, we have been to numerous all inclusive resorts, including Mexico on the Riviera Maya and also on the pacific side, Cuba and Dominican Republic, most of them 5 stars. We visited the Grand Sirenis from June 16 to June 23, 2014 for my 50th birthday and we can say that it has been quite a pleasurable experience. So much so that we never go back to the same place, simply because there are too many places to see in this world, but for the Grand Sirenis, we would make an exception. We upgraded to a 3rd floor sea view and it turned out to be a great decision. We were in room 2952 in the Naab building. We had spectacular sea view with some palm trees between us and the view. Also, the building's location is great because you get the fabulous sunrise on the sea but after a day in the sun, you want the shade and by the time we would make it back to the room, the balcony was in the shade. After taking a shower, you don't want to sweat in the sun again and there was always a nice breeze. We had 10 minutes of rain during the whole week and it was around supper time when we were showering, so much for rainy season?? Many times when we travelled, we had that light musky smell in the room simply because you are in the jungle (or other reasons?). P.S. We once had that same odor in a nice condo in Florida. I don't know about the rooms on the 1st floors, but there was absolutely no smell in our room and it was super clean. Our friendly maid was diligently making the beds, changing the towels and doing a different animal designs with the towels everyday and filling up the fridge everyday as well. The resort is also very clean, including the restaurants and facilities. And one extraordinary thing as well, no insects took any of my blood all week!! Usually, it's a nightmare for me and it's the same thing in Canada. P.S. I once got a mosquito bite on a "warmer" (-5C) day in December here in Canada. Wherever I go, they quickly find me and it's not only mosquitoes, any blood sucking insects!! I don't know if they are around other times of the year, but this time, nothing!! Even after 3 major walks in all of the resort very early in the morning next to the jungle. So for anyone who is a non-consented major blood donor like me, you will be very happy to know that there no blood sucking insects in June on the Riviera Maya. I had a can of Off, didn't use it once!! The resort is very big and I read reviews from people complaining about the long walks. For us, it wasn't a problem at all, it's not that big of a walk and besides, they do have golf carts passing by quite often with stops marked with little flags all over the resort. There are also elevators in all the buildings for upper floors. Speaking of buildings, they have 2 concierges in all of the buildings which was really great! No line up to book your à la carte restaurants for the week! They have a laptop and they do it for you with a smile! They are also there for any questions or complaints you might have. Also, I had read that they invite you to a 1 hour 1/2 lobster dinner for a presentation and I knew it was for timeshare, as they are pressured to try to sell it. So, I politely declined and that was the end of it! The concierges are there everyday from 7:30AM to 7:30PM but they change shifts. The ones we met were Adrian, Isaac and Merlin in the Naab building and I'm giving them 5 stars for their excellent service. They were very friendly, fun and kind! Just like all the personnel on the entire resort! We are also giving Lou-Ann from the spa a 5 stars as well!! We are not really spa people but on the day of my b-day, my husband and I went to the Sirenis spa for a 1 hour 1/2 hydrotherapy and also a 30 minutes massage, followed by an excellent meal after while watching the dolphins jumping around in their big pool! Very pleasant!
Food: We also read many complaints about the food. We are from Montreal and without bragging, Montreal is well renowned for the food, so we are used to eat very well. We found that the food was quite good at the main buffet with plenty of variety if you are a picky eater and the food was fresh. We were allowed 3 à la carte restaurants during our week stay and we chose the Mexican El Patio (after all we were in Mexico!), the steakhouse and of course, the Japanese. The Mexican was traditional Mexican food and it was quite good with a cute presentation. We were celebrating my 50th birthday while we were in Mexico and for my birthday, we went to the steakhouse restaurant El Rancho. My husband mentioned that it was my birthday while I was visiting the ladies' room and they brought me a plate with little cakes with a candle and all the staff came and sang happy birthday and then they shook my hand, which was sweet! On our last night, we tried the Japanese restaurant Ikebana and it was quite good as well, like all the Japanese restaurants in resorts but I was pleasantly surprised that they had hot Saké. They also have a coffee shop which has great coffees! It was a nice touch after the evening meal to take a walk, sit down at the coffee shop terrace and have a good cup of coffee.
Beach: It is true that the beach is not that big and rocky when you go in the water. There was also a good current and enough waves while we were there as well. We had bought water shoes and we ended up needing them. I don't know about other months of the year but the water visibility was quite poor and therefore, the snorkeling was not that great. But the surrounding bay is very nice and they kept a mini Mayan ruin on the site. Again, I don't know about other months of the year, but there was plenty of chairs and palapas available. From May to October, it's nesting season for the sea green turtles and therefore, there were a lot of turtles swimming next to you which was absolutely great if you are into that, like me!
Pool: We are not big pool people since we have one at home but we did end up going to the main pool one afternoon and we found it was a little loud but that's because we were near the main activities. We didn't go to the others and therefore, we can't comment. But they had a big swim up bar in that pool with seats in water on both sides and the service was very friendly. P.S. I don't particularly like mojitos that much but they had the best mojitos I ever had and that was all over the resort!
Excursions: We didn't book any of the suggested excursions, we did our own excursions. Sirenis has a Budget car rental desk and one day, we rented a car which was very clean with A/C. We drove to Akumal which is a lovely little town. Akumal means "Place of turtles" in the Mayan language, so you are pretty sure to find turtles there. We were told that 6 months ago, they changed the law and you can't go in the water now with long fins, only short ones in order to protect the coral reef. We had our own mask and tuba, which are not that great and no fins. We met Mexicans there who for $50 U.S. for the both of us, lend us excellent masks, tubas, short fins and life jacket and one of them brought us in the open sea, where you are guaranteed to see turtles. And turtles we saw, huge ones, about 3-4 feet circumference!! And also many fish!! Unfortunately, the coral is not very healthy, in fact many areas are completely white, which means that the coral is dead. It's a good thing that they are finally imposing laws, every little bit helps! But for that specific excursion, you first of all have to be a pretty good swimmer, or at least very comfortable in water and also in pretty good shape because you do have to swim a while before you reach the area where turtles are in abundance. Definitely worth while because Akumal beach is very nice and for those into scuba diving, they have an amazing diving area there with many showers and full equipment and the guys working there are very professional and friendly. After Akumal, we drove to Tulum where we visited the ruins for a very small entrance fee. It is truly a beautiful and well kept site and they also have a beautiful beach, also very worthwhile! On another day, we took a taxi from the resort ($20 U.S. each way) to Playa Del Carmel's port where we took a ferry to Cozumel. We then rented a car and drove the whole island. Apart of the small town of St-Miguel (town in Cozumel where the ferry arrives) Cozumel is not very developed. It has kept its spectacular natural beauty! We also ended up in a little typical Mexican town called El Cedral where you can visit a Tequila museum and also buy quite expensive but very good tequila! ;)
In conclusion: We highly recommend the Grand Sirenis, it is truly a top notch hotel but without any pretention! Here is a video that I made from all the pictures of our trip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spiYBDpcmGk Hope you enjoy!! And if ever you might have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Until then, happy vacations!! :o)

Room Tip: Try our room!! 2952 (Naab building, 3rd floor), very nice sea view, always slightly breezy, very cle...
16 Thank AquaOceanCanada
Hola AquaOceanCanada,

First of all congratulations and thank you very much for staying in Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for this unforgettable occasion and taking the time to write your positive impressions; I am sure this has helped many travelers confirm that the Grand Sirenis Resort is the perfect hotel for their birthday celebration.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed the room, the animal designs with the towels, the food, our beach and the most important our service; it is pleasing to note your positive comments, I will be sure to let the team members know that their efforts are appreciated and have not gone unnoticed, specially to Adrian, Isaac, Merlin ,Lou-Ann and all your friends that you made at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Sirenis Riviera.

Yateley
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks in July 2014 as a group of five adults. This hotel is one of the very best because:

First impressions are important. The entrance and the hotel grounds are quite breathtaking. A gigantic sign and water fountain, a long long drive way and finally two identical voutred entrance halls.

The second thing that strikes is the size of the complex. I lost count: so many restaurants, swimming pools, bars. Quite daunting at first but it soon starts to feel like home
The food is great in the main restaurant with an enormous choice and excellent service. This could become a little repetitive after two weeks but the large choice of a la carte restaurants prevents that happening

We liked all of the a la carte restaurants but particularly the Japanese where the show is great and the steakhouse where the steak was perfect

There were many people who made our stay memorable, so many we cannot mention them all but here are just a few:

Omar who took us on a cycling tour, was very friendly and helpful and concerned about our safety

Roberto who was our waiter when we went to the Italian restaurant could not have been more attentive

The people who cleaned our room so well every day even when they had to work around us as we sat around like large lumps

The bar staff all of whom should get awards for the speed and efficiency with which they mix cocktails. Order a Long Island Iced Tea: Five spirits, perfectly mixed in 20 seconds. I videoed it and put it in YouTube.

The waitresses who tolerated my pathetic and ultimately futile attempts to learn Spanish

Nowhere is paradise. We have no complaints at all about the Grand Serenis just a few wishes for an even better stay next time:

It would have been good if there was a bar with modern music. The lobby played muzak, the disco played…well disco music.

Maybe a bit more could be made of the beach. The beach bar would have been a great place for old people music, beer and a BBQ

Better pillows?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Ivorwopper
Hola Ivorwopper,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya for your group vacation. We always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions, and comments which help us find out about their preferences.

I am very proud to have received your personal comments about our staff members especially Omar, Roberto and our housekeepeer, I will gladly pass on your compliments to each one and let them know that they make the difference with the impeccable service.

I am really happy and enthusiastic we met your expectations and would love to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Recently visited this hotel with my wife on honeymoon.

We had a great time, met some fantastic people and all the staff where fantastic.

Alberto and Amalcar are two fantastic bar men and made us very welcome every time we where at the bar. 5/5

Abraham at the front desk was also fantastic. Any problems we had he sorted them for us. 5/5

Rigo and Fernando the bell boys are brilliant. They sorted our bags, give us advice on day trips and lifted us at our room regularly and took us where ever we needed to go at the hotel resort. 5/5

The only complaint I would have with this place would be the food in the buffet. Everything tasted the same, the butter was sour, and well the sausages and bacon I only had to look at it and I was nearly sick over the food. If your looking an English or irish fry don't expect to get it here. I lived on pancakes for 10 days with no butter on them.

The restaurants where good especially Japanese. The steak house and French restaurant is quite good too. The Brazilian could of been better. The meat was quite raw and the man who welcomes everyone at the door could of been a bit more pleasant. I forgot my restaurant ticket and he looked at me as if I had two heads when I told him. The couple behind us also commented on him.

The spa is amazing. We just went to hydro pools and steam and sauna rooms and it was great.

Overall it is a good place and you will have a good holiday. The staff are fantastic and I would go back.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Gavin B
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked the holiday via Thomson and was told we would fly on the new Dreamliner. We upgraded our seats to premium for the extra room due to my husbands mobility issues so he would be more comfortable on the 10 hour flight and really looked forward to the holiday. When we arrived at the airport there wasn't a Dreamliner insight!!!! So we didn't have the luxury or extra space we paid for or were promised. I am very disappointed with Thomson and recommend you double check all Thomson promises for the Dreamliner flights as apparently they are not available from all airports yet. Think this should have been explained at booking to us as we would have chosen a different airport to to fly from!!!!

After this disappointing start to our holiday, a 10 hour flight and an hour and twenty minute transfer on the coach from Cancan airport I couldn't wait to get to the hotel and hoped it would be as good as the brochure pictures. We'll I can safely say we were not disappointed. As soon as we got off the coach to check in we were handed a glass of chilled fruit juice, which was greatly appreciated after the long journey. Check-in was swift and painless and the staff very helpful explaining the hotel layout and all the usual things a new guest needs to know. The bell boys then took us and our luggage to our rooms. The bell boys couldn't do enough for us they were so helpful and became good friends of ours during our stay. Without Rigo, Ever, Rosalio and Edgar we would have struggled to get around at this hotel. The complex is huge. Bigger than we realised when we booked the trip. And as my husband can't walk any great distances If the bell boys hadn't been there we really would have struggled to get about. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Having said that nothing was too much trouble for any of the hotel staff. Natalia and Jonathan were on concierge and we're also superb. Helping with anything and everything they could.

Our room was spacious and clean, however we did have one of the rooms with the hole in the bathroom wall. This didn't bother us as a couple but might be difficult for families sharing a room. I'm sure if this was a problem to you the hotel would move your room as they can't do enough for you as a guest. The ground staff also worked tirelessly to keep the gardens looking immaculate.

The food was good. Lots of choice at the buffet with themed food nights like Oriental on a Sunday and also Mexican. We tried the Brazilian, Steakhouse and Mediterranean al a carte. Noa the chef at the steakhouse was brilliant and we had our steaks cooked to perfection.

My only critique of this hotel is the lack of sun loungers with shade around the quiet pool. Although there are signs up everywhere saying you can't reserve sun loungers this still happens and unless you are up and out before dawn you struggle to get anything poolside and may find it easier to go to the beach instead. No matter if you are poolside or on the beach the waitresses are very attentive and we never found ourselves without refreshments. Do not feed the iguanas or raccoons! It's obvious that previous guests have. My daughters were surrounded by 11 iguanas at one point while trying to eat their chips a lunchtime. They don't keep there distance either they charge at you and even jump all over the sun-beds to get at the food.

Just a couple of words of caution. The marble floors in the lobby's are highly polished and there for very slippery. We did see a couple of people fall during our stay. Also avoid using the USD ATM on site. It's nothing to do with the hotel and the charges are horrendous for withdrawing money. There is a $5.85 charge for using the machine which I consider reasonable but the the next screen says you will also be charged 10% of your withdrawal in currency fees. so we would have been charged $56.00 for withdrawing $500. Shocking! Don't take prepaid currency cards they are a waste of time given the ATM charges take lots of pesos.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious but I'd recommend a room on the second floor b...
11 Thank Wendy H