“Repeat guest will NEVER return”
Review of TRS Yucatan Hotel

TRS Yucatan Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that my now husband (we are on our honeymoon) and I have been to this palladium complex 3 times before and wanted to spend our honeymoon in the place where we took our first vacation together. We are not brats, we are not in the least bit condescending; we are humble and easy to please. So in booking our honeymoon, I knew that coming back to this complex and spending $3200 would be complete luxury. I COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG.

Check in was strangely impersonal, and the guy almost seemed Like he was doing us the favor. He didn't really explain anything to us and pretty much blew us off and told us to come back at 3 for our keys. When we came back, he literally just handed us the keys. No offer to show us to the room. No offer to have our bags brought over. We had to carry our own luggage in the blazing heat a quarter of a mile to our room. When we walked in the room, it was a furnace. We called to have our room changed but they said they were full and there was nothing they could do. We had to beg for a fan, just to sit in the room to try and work something out with the travel wholesaler. After 5 calls to the front desk, we finally got a completely useless fan that kept falling apart. My husband and I returned to the front desk, to see if we could have our room changed, and saw staff members frantically opening and assembling the flimsy fans. When my husband attempted to speak with one of the employees about having our room changed to one with AC ( not even a suite, not even at the royal-we would take anything!) the guy that checked us in copped a huge attitude and barked at my husband. His name is Jorge. He was a jerk from the second we arrived at the hotel. Just wanted to get his name out there. It is then that Arturo, not even a front desk employee-he works for the timeshare portion of the hotel-pulled my husband aside and was honest about the situation. The front desk staff at check in failed to inform us-to inform a guests-that the royal suites, along with portions of the Riviera and White Sands are WITHOUT AIR-CONDITIONING No AC on most of this side of the resort. And it had been broken for days. And they continued to check people in and NOT TELL THEM!!! Now we begged for a new room and finally Lucia (a truly sweet employee) got us one with AC in the Riviera. But we couldn't move until the next day. When we made our way to the buffet for dinner, we saw that the restaurants didn't have AC either. It was close to 100 degrees in there. So we spent the night sweating and not sleeping, not anything on the first night of our honeymoon. Note that no one made up or tuned down this room at all while We used it.

Next day we make our way to breakfast, and are seated at an absolutely FILTHY table. I'm taking stamina and wet and fresh egg mush on the tablecloth. No water glasses so no one came to give us water, which we desperately needed after our sweltering night in the room. I asked for water. The guy never came to the table.

Finally, at 3pm, not a second earlier, we were able to check into the new room. Glorious AC, but no hot water. We called to have it fixed, they acted like I had asked them to part the seas. Spent the day at beach and pool, came back to get ready for dinner-still no hot water.

Next day the train that shuttles people to and from the lobbies breaks down. People are waiting aimlessly for the green train and when we ask where it is, they say 12 minutes away. After 40 minutes, we walk to the next lobby to learn the train broke down and the whit buggies that take people to the rooms is now the train. NO COMMUNICATION! And when I told them that the other lobbies don't know this and everyone is standing around waiting for the train, they started laughing.

Today is day 4, I don't think things are likely to change. We have received none of this Royal service we paid for. We can't even enjoy our days together because we are so cranky at having to constantly ask people to fix something. I am
so disappointed by this hotel and the entire palladium brand, a brand I used to love, a brand I recommended to my clients (I am a travel agent) but this brand did what a hotel chain should never do: took a repeat guest and turned them into a never-return guest.

So if you're booked here, call your travel agent or whatever you booked through. They are still checking people in to these sauna-like rooms, not telling them a thing about it. Change your hotel. If you do not, you will be very sorry.

Stayed: July 2014
23  Thank caribe_chic
Antonio P, Gerente at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Caribe_chic,

I am really sorry that your stay in our resort has been a disappointing experience. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.
We deeply regret that you changed your image of our hotel as we work hard in order to provide nice experiences to our visitors, and despite breakdowns can always happen everywhere, we spent all our efforts to solve it as fast as it could be, trying to put in place all the means to minimize the negative impact in our guests, finally restoring all the services and facilities. We take note of your comments in order to improve our service and we are trying to contact you before leaving to personally know more details about your inconformity and make your stay more enjoyable. And on the other hand, we hope that you would not have the same bad impression of the whole team that makes of this resort an enchanting feeling.

I look forward to hearing from you on this matter and thank you again for any information or comments that can help us be a better hotel.

Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,344)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Let's start with the positives. Nearly every server we encountered was friendly and helpful. The food is just average. The buffets have great variety and the items are fresh. There should be more top shelf liquor. Particularly vodkas (Smirnoff triple distilled was at the high end of their offerings). They could also offer DeKuyper mixers.

The biggest problems are the customer service and the front desk staff. Many parts of the resort have no air conditioning. The air conditioning has been out of service since our arrival two days ago. We gave a letter for the manager of the Royal to the front desk staff and sent copies via email to the corporate office. We have yet to receive a reply. They don't even give updates on the repairs to the equipment. The system's failure has rendered much of the resort unusable.
We can't even comfortably enjoy our room for sleep or anything else. We were told by one front desk employee that "all-inclusive didn't include air conditioning." It took this same staff 45 minutes to find our reservation. We had to call interval international from our own cell phone. We were told the staff could not make phone calls to the U.S.! Any business can have an equipment malfunction. These unfortunate circumstances have to be overcome with outstanding customer service. Royal failed miserably.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AlanandAmber
Antonio P, Gerente at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear AlanandAmber,

Thank you for your good comments about our facilities, services and staff. We are working every day to improve our facilities and the quality of service that we provide to our clients.

Concerning the air conditioning breakdown, we are happy that it could be finally solved and we have everything working now, we are very sorry because we could not provide all the updates about the situation because we didn’t know where the leakage was, therefore we hadn’t the information of when it was supposed to be fixed.

In reference to your letter, as you still at the hotel we preferred to talk personally to you, apologizing directly and explaining the compensation that we are glad you liked and agreed.

Thank you again and for any further comment, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The resort is gorgeous and the maid staff, restaurant and bar staff were so nice, helpful and hospitable. I wish I could say the same for the reception at the royal suites. I stayed in a beautiful room but my whole stay I was without air conditioning which was miserable in the Mexican heat. I was sweaty every night and did not have one full night of sleep. The resort made no efforts to fix the air conditioning or to accommodate us. They just didn't care. The resort, pools and beaches were beautiful but I am very sad that the upgrade seemed more like a curse than a lucky chance.

Room Tip: Make sure any room you accept has air conditioning before you stay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jasmine B
Aurora C, Manager at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Jasmine B,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact the case of air conditioning already was solved.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The place is beautiful, but we have been without air in our room for 4 out of 5 days. The entire place is a sauna, you can not enjoy a meal anywhere. The food is ok. Could handle the bad food fs we were eating in comfortable surroundings. There has been no explanation for air problem and the Royal Suites front desk was not very helpful and weren't to thrilled to provide us with fan. The first time we did an all inclusive and disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Melissa C
Antonio P, Gerente at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Melissa C,

We deeply regret the very negative impression you had about your stay with us, since one of our purposes as a hotel chain, is to exceed the expectations of our guests, always committed to reaching excellent standards in our services and providing the highest quality and of course, ensure that our guests have an outstanding experience in every moment of their stay.

Regarding your comments about the incident air conditioning, we would like to express our sincere apologies because despite having done everything possible to fix the breakdown raised asap and try the best to accommodate our guests offering the best solutions we had at our disposal, we perfectly understand the great inconvenience this may mean, as it is not at all what you want to find on your holiday as well as the kind of experience we are used to provide.

Again, I would like to apologize for your experience in your last vacations. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great experience while with us, at times we do fall short in our efforts.

I hope you could give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

With all the choice of resorts, we decided to split our two week honeymoon between two resorts. The second week of honeymoon we spent in Royal Suites Yucatan after a very disappointing first week at a Secrets resort. As soon as we entered the hotel grounds, we were just blown away by the beauty of the resort. At reception, we were given a warm and friendly welcome and upgraded to a Royal Suite. Immediately we were relaxed as we explored the gorgeous grounds. We are quite active people so we loved to walk along the beautiful coast line from the rocky coast and all the way along to the lovely 2km sandy beach. The scenery and nature was just stunning. We never got tired of watching iguanas run around and seeing racoons around the site. Towards the end of the week when we got more lazy, we were happy to take the golf carts around and never waited more than a few minutes to be picked up. The private pool at the Royal Suites was lovely for spending a few hours, great drinks service and Bernando the bar man was great. We also were very impressed by the beautiful and spacious spa and spent a couple of lazy afternoons there. We also enjoyed some snorkelling and although it was not mind blowing, there were still plenty of fish to see to entertain us.

Another major advantage for us of this hotel was the location close to Akumal beach (amazing snorkelling with turtles and free), Tulum ruins and several cenotes. On two mornings, we caught the collectif taxi from just outside the hotel and made trips out for only a couple of dollars, back in time for lunch. If we werent enjoying the hotel so much or had more time, we could easily have made more trips to the surrounding attractions.

The beds were comfortable, we loved the outdoor jacuzzi and the room service was good.

Food wise the hotel was fine, I dont expect Michelin star food at all inclusive hotels, but overall the quality was very good. Breakfast buffets had an excellent selection as did the lunch. Room service we ordered once for lunch and were very impressed. We enjoyed all our evening meals, especially the Brazilian restaurant. I am very fussy but there were only a few small faults I could find, first that the house white wine was undrinkable (the sparkling was fine), and second that the natural fruit juices at breakfast were watered down with sugar added, thirdly that most of the desserts werent homemade and hence were quite artificial, but hey, we didnt need to put on even more weight!

The only part of the stay we did not enjoy was a special dinner put on for honeymooning couples which are held every week. We were herded into a restaurant with about 100 other couples. It was very awkward, we had no choice of the food and did not particular enjoy the menu and were starving by the time food was eventually served. Looking around it looked as some other couples felt the same, as some left early before even the main course was served. I do not recommend this experience at all- it was not romantic and we would have eaten far better at one of the restaurants.

This wonderful hotel really saved our honeymoon from being a big disappointment to a big success and we really wish we had spent our whole two week honeymoon here. Ironically it was much cheaper than the first hotel we stayed at (Secrets Silversands) and we thought the value for money was fantastic. We would certainly return here one day.

Room Tip: Any room that is either on the first or second floor, or on the ground floor and away from a pathway...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Clare C
Aurora C, Manager at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Clare,

First and foremost, thank you for believing in us and for making The Royal Suites your holiday’s destination, for us is really important to realize that our guests feel like home and become part of our Palladium family. We really appreciate your comments, especially because you know well the hotel and the service, so it shows us the improvement that we work for.

If there is anything further we can do, please, just let us know, and also please tell us when you would come again in order to make the proper arrangements and assure your vacations are fantastic.

Thanks again and best regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I traded our Starwood timeshare for interval international and I was able to get the Royal Suites when exploring online. We stayed between July 11-18 2014. We had great weather and a beautiful room, one bedroom in building 70. Our pretty room was kept fresh and clean with sweet towel decorations daily. A stocked mini fridge w liquor, water and peanuts. The shower was decent. Toiletries ok. The blow drier blew a fuse every day if I had the power on high for more than 5 minutes. Fuse box is in the closet. FYI.
The resort which is part of the Grand Palladium is HUGE. Royal Suites is adults only and has a nice pool area. Also an indoor bar where Filiberto is an excellent bartender and person! A true pleasure!
The staff upon arrival was pleasant. We had a long day and finally got to the resort about 4pm. It is over an hour from Cancun airport. Since we were Interval International users one of their concierges, Erika B. Came out to greet us. She was very sweet and promised us all sorts of special treatment, particularly club car priority (to get around the facility) as we were "Royal" and finally caved to her hard pitch of listening to a 90 min timeshare info session. For doing this we would get 200.00 at the spa and 400.00 airline credit.
Well over the next few days I had to wait as long as everyone else for the cars and there were even fewer at the Royal than elsewhere.
She never mentioned the special Royal only beach area. I found this out on day 3. Nice area, good bar yet I had to wait 40 minutes to get a club car back to our part of the resort. Finally after some other guests walked back 3 times to complain to the bartender and have him call again for a ride and I stopped another driver (sorry I don't go that way) to have him radio for a ride, we got picked up.
I left two messages in person and one on the phone for Erika who said how special we were to contact me and she never did. At all. At that point I cancelled our time share meeting.
I took my own trip to the spa, zentopia. Very beautiful pool area and I had an outstanding 80 min massage with Guadalupe. The locker area was very disappointing. The waiting room to relax in before the massage was awesome. It had big mobiles floating around and sofas that looked like rocks. Very cool and peaceful.
The snorkel trip we took to Akumal was great! I saw plenty of sea turtles!!! Also some rays and a huge baracuda. The guys running it were excellent.

The food was ok. I was hoping for much more Mexican. The one actual Mexican restaurant was good not amazing. Their guacamole was very good and I was excited to finally have some! Le Jardin, the restaurant only for the royal suites area was good and changes the menu theme each night. Their service was very good. They also have a great breakfast! Much to choose from! Love the staff there.
A big let down is that there is no drink or food service on the beach or pool. That is by a server. You have to get up and get everything yourself. I have never seen this at a resort of this caliber and found it odd as well as a big negative.
That and the difficulty waiting for club cars to get around are the biggest negatives here. Also the food is decent but I want awesome native food.
All in all the resort was a mixed bag. I really enjoyed my time on the beautiful white sand beach and blue water. The Mexican people are wonderful. I would explore some other options before picking this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank RobynCooperHenning

Dear Robyn ,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

First off the girls at the front desk greeted us with a combined "Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. Clarke". and this was our first time there. The ladies at the front desk made our check in so easy. We were then escorted to our room on the 3rd floor of building 70. Isreal carried our bags to our room and we met with our butler. Thoughout the whole stay they checked up with us to make sure we had everything. Our Junior Suite was everything we wished for and more. It was so clean. Our houseman was so friendly and kind. We always had plenty of towels and our fridge was always stocked. The ala cartes we picked were the Asian, el Jardin, Steakhouse, Ribs and More, and Brazilian. Our BBQ had gotten rained out and they got us into the Italian restaurant without a reservation in 5 minutes. The buffets were plentiful and good food. I have severe allergies to seafood, shellfish and Rosemary. They addressed my allergy needs and have a program in place to prevent cross contamination. I felt so safe. Also noticed special sections for diabetics, gluten free, and dairy free.
Our first morning we took advantage of the Segway Tour. What a way to see the whole resort as it is so large. I would say it shaved a day or two off of the walking around lost feeling. The pool and beach were amazing and wait service was terrific. I see a lot of people complaining about the beach being so far, but really look at the big picture......We left the Maritimes Canada were it was -35 degrees and it was only warming up when it dumped 40+ cm of snow, so you know what, a short golf trip to a beach is fine by me! The secret pool was a cool place late at night. And the spa!!! I watched my husbands shoulders relax as soon as we entered the spa. The pool there was so relaxing.
We took a trip to Playa for the afternoon and had a blast at Senor Frogs.
Overall the buildings were designed perfectly, Super Clean. Food and Drinks are second to none. The fact that the resort was separate from other resorts is a huge plus. I have never felt so safe. Loads of activities and entertainment. But Palladiums greatest asset is their staff!! Aurora and her staff treat you like family!! It may cost a little more but it is so worth it. We have found "our spot". Thanks again Aurora and our Royal family!!

Room Tip: upper floor for privacy and the jaccuzzi on the deck is amazing!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dave-PegClarke
Aurora C, Manager at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Dave-PegClarke,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!