“Coberg's Royal Trip”

TRS Yucatan Hotel
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I need to preface this report by saying that I have been privileged to go to many upscale all-inclusives as well as vacations at 5-star resorts around the world. I am not trying to brag, just putting it into context.

We got in on Sat. July 3rd, after spending an exceptionally long time at customs (two hours); It was a Saturday during a holiday weekend. Our transfer, Best Day private, was excellent. It took about 75 minutes to get to the resort. We arrived at the resort and check–in was busy. I am not one of those people who need the welcome drink etc, but I know some people care about things like that. So, if one is not offered and you want one just ask (I didn’t and just went to the bar and ordered something different instead) we were taken to our room, room 6930, a full suite, which was extremely large and absolutely gorgeous. The only problem was, as people warned us, the sofa bed was awful and my son needed to sleep on it. I asked for a pad but they told me they didn’t have one. I had several other staff members ask for one, and our last night, we received some extra blankets to be put under the sheet. It definitely is a problem. We had lovely dinner at El Jardine, delicious Caribbean lobster for my son and me; my husband enjoyed the steak) and then golf carted to the Colonial lobby to hear Quarzo, the most popular band at the resort. Later, we stopped at the royal lobby for an after dinner drink and finally I relaxed with a Jacuzzi on our terrace to unwind from the trip happily anticipating the week ahead.

Sunday morning, as usual, I awoke before anyone in my family. After showering in a wonderful shower, I went to Punta Emille for a cup of coffee. Returning to our room, I found that my husband had awakened and we went to El Jardine for a delicious breakfast. (El Jardine breakfasts were my favourite meal. They were incredible). They had a great selection of breakfast foods and real fresh squeezed orange juice along with a wide variety of other juices, champagne, mimosas etc. to select from.

After our son woke up, we grabbed the map of the resort and explored, seeing crocodiles, flamingos, ducks, geese, iguanas and other types of lizards. We lunched at the beach paella party at Colonial beach enjoying the music and festive atmosphere. (This was the only real lunch we had tending to skip lunches as we had large breakfasts. My son skipped breakfasts as he slept late. He would either get room service, sandwiches around pool bar or hors d'oeuvre at the royal lobby) we then headed for the Royal beach, by Kantenah. The water was warm and pleasant However; we made the mistake of not first going back to our room to get our water shoes and instructions, from a trip advisor friend, telling us how to avoid the rocks. My husband got cut up and I had a pretty intense fall. The falling was my own fault as I should have gotten the instructions .Later ,We visited the protected area for turtles and and enjoyed the nice walking paths )We walked around white Sands and the Riviera section Then we went and saw the Kantena and Colonial section. I loved the contrast between seeing so much nature vs. the partying environment. , We had an interesting dinner at Rodizio (WS/R Lobby) the Brazilian place. They brought out meat served by the "ESPETO CORRIDO"; waiters were dressed in traditional Brazilian clothing as well as a nice salad bar. I have been to other Brazilian restaurants and this, like others was interesting. My son doesn’t eat beef, pork, or lamb but had plenty to eat and enjoyed the atmosphere. As usual, during this vacation, we had no room for desert. We stopped by the piano bar and cigar bar before heading back to the Royal lobby. When we returned to our room, I noticed an enormous basket of fruit, chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. When we checked in I saw a note wishing us a happy anniversary (my husband and my 32) and thought that was it and how that alone was nice. This was really special.

Mon. morning, I hung out in the Royal lobby drinking coffee, reading novels and checking in at work until my husband awoke. We had another great breakfast at El Jardine and then we went to look at the Salt water pool, La Rocas in the Riviera section, as I was fascinated that there was fish in a pool where people were swimming. Afterwards, we went to the spa to utilize the free services. There were pools, Jacuzzis, steam, and saunas; lazy river, etc .My husband could have moved into that place! I met a person who was vacationing form Mexico City along with her mom. Her mom spoke no English; I spoke little Spanish. The daughter spoke both, encouraging me to speak in Spanish her mom English and translating when necessary. I learned about the inside life of middleclass Mexican residents that I never really knew. I could have remained there and conversed for ever, but I was turning into a prune. I was delighted to bump into them a few days later to finish our conversation. We then “swam” in the Royal pool. There, my son and several iguanas became friends. One opened up his very large mouth and another tried to climb up his chair. Hospitable people that we are, we went back to our room to get them fruit from our basket and they seemed to like us even more. We dined at Mare Nostrum for dinner where Mariachis, strolling Mexican string musicians/vocalists (2 performers), willingly serenaded us with song requests. We peeked in at the International show at Rivera, but it was not our cup of tea so we left. Although, they didn’t have a good turnout, they still provided beverage service. We shopped the local vendors at the Colonial lobby. My husband was particularly interested in the pre-made and cigars made "while you wait" He purchased some and tried them though out the week. He didn’t like them and felt they were overpriced for their quality. We listened to some okay music for a few minutes in the lobby, then stopped in at Churchill’s, the cigar bar (where he looked at the cigars but felt they were all overpriced). After we relaxed with some coffees for him and drink for my son and me, we enjoyed Hemingway’s, the piano bar, for a few minutes .My husband, son (also musician) and I appreciated the pianist there. He was quite good, however there was less background noise and better acoustics.

On Tuesday, it rained all day. Once again I spent my early morning at the Royal lounge till my husband awoke and again had breakfast at El Jardine I scheduled a Spanish lesson. It was a little disorganized but when the teacher finally arrived, she was delightful. The material was quite elementary, however. Since it was private, I was able to pick her brain. The lesson was complimentary and I probably should have taken some more. The semi finals of the world cup began and we watched it at the Colonial sports bar with people from around the world passionately supporting their team. Germany was playing and there were many Germans as well as fans of Uruguay. Their customs were fascinating and the waitress passed around beer for those who didn’t want to go up to the bar chancing missing a play during the game. There was no food service at this particular game. Then I came to room to work.

We ate dinner at Sumptuori Japanese cuisine. We sat at the teppanyaki table. However they also have regular tables, a tatami area, and sushi bar.Japanese sat next to some Spanish newlyweds. (There were quite a number of honeymooners from Spain.)My son and I enjoyed our meal, although it was salty. It was way too salty for my husband so we stopped at a buffet where my son and I got a glass of wine and he got a sandwich to eat. We are spoiled with Japanese food in our community we went past the Pre-hispanic show .The costumes looked great, but we weren’t impressed with the show. We spent time at the lobby and then returned to the Royal lobby for some beverages and finally called it a night

On Wed. the weather did not look too good. We over indulged in delicious Spanish breakfast food at El Jardine and went to lobby bar and used computer while enjoying some special drinks.

We fed the fish outside the Royal lobby some bananas form our fruit basket, as advised on the site, while waiting for the pontoon boat ride around the resort complex. Afterwards we went to watch the second semi-finals of the World Cup. Because it was Spain vs. Germany and there were so many people there from each, it was even more crowded than one would expect even during the World Cup and the resort was well prepared. They had a buffet right outside the Colonial theater, a gigantic screen set up in the theater and plenty of wait staff to handle the overflow from the Sports Bar. Excitedly people from Germany and Spain stood when their country’s national anthem was played. The crowd was as zealous as a crowd can be was. There are two soccer fields at the sports complex as well as soccer on the beach. We learned that every day at 5:30 there is a pick-up game at the sport complex. Adult guests, children, and staff are all invited to play. My son, who was a serious soccer player through college thought he might enjoy playing and he did. My husband and I decided to take a cart over there and watch the end of the game. It was fun.

We ate dinner at Porto Fino, the Italian Place. My husband loved the marinated duck breast, on a lettuce bead and raspberry dressing salad. I got the minestrone soup with fresh vegetables thought it was okay. I then got the grilled king prawns with a spinach and herb sauce. It was too rich for me to eat, but the rest of my family thought it was good. My son enjoyed the salmon cream soup Fruto De Mare, Mussels, Mixed Sea Fruits Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan. After dinner we took a colectivo to Playa. The colectivo was easy extremely inexpensive, clean modern and air-conditioned. We had a fantastic time listening to an authentic band play some great Latin music. My son conversed with the fellow musicians and they told him if he returns, they would enjoy having him sit in. We had to take a taxi back, as it was after 1 AM; colectivoss are off from 11 PM - 4 AM.

Thursday, we thought we would try a different buffet. I got myself a mimosa which I liked even better than the ones at El Jardine. My husband waited a while for coffee and then decided to go back to El Jardine instead as it was much calmer and the service was better. We tried to take out a hobiecat, but the red flags were up. We ended up staying around the Royal pool. Our son decided to play soccer again and again we went and watched the ending. That evening we were invited to the manager’s reception. The top people from all over the resort were there. They served delicious bellinies and hors d'oeuvres. The managers seemed interested in our ideas. We told an upper level manager about our mattress pad situation and she promised to take care of it. However, it never happened. We also told her how much we enjoy all of the canapés and hors d'oeuvres ( very upscale and brought out by chefs in uniform all day and night long) she said that this was a new improvement. It wasn’t as good just a short time ago, but she fought for improvement and was glad that I mentioned it. There was an incredibly talented guitarist/ vocalist before at the Colonial lobby. She perfumed in both Spanish and English and was clearly the most talented person we heard on the resort. (Frankly we were not that impressed with most of the performers) We had lobster at El Jardine again and my husband ordered the flaming appetizer as he knew I would enjoy” the show.” I also enjoyed watching the waiter prepare Mayan coffee, but was too stuffed to even think about ordering it. We tried the disco (twice two separate evenings) for a few minutes each time. There was recorded music playing techno while we were there. Once, my son stayed for a few more minutes, totaling maybe five. It was mostly empty and way too loud, even for my 25-year-old son who frequents clubs as a musician. He admitted none of the clubs he goes to have music nearly as loud.

Friday, it rained so we spent a good bit of time at the Spa. We also walked around the lobbies to observe all of the activities going on. We walked on some of the paths looking again for animals. We weren’t able to make reservations for the beach BBQ scheduled for Friday evenings because by the time we tried to, both the 7:00 PM and 8:30 PM seatings were booked. We did come by to see, it sitting right outside at the bar just to look at the festive atmosphere there were tables and chairs beautifully set up on the beach that was lit up with candlelight. There was waiter service for drinks and instrumentalists played live music .We went back to El Jardine that night and had the Capellini with Lobster, (flaming lobster, cream, garlic, onion, butter, white wine, tomato and lemon) prepared beautifully at ones table served every Friday night It was fun to watch .They give you’re a huge amount so I left ¾ of it over. I wanted Mayan coffee, but again had no room for it as the lobster was extremely rich. I stopped by the Royal bar to say goodbye to Luis, thanking him for his wonderful concoctions (turning me on to Vanilla Galliano etc.) and headed back to bed.

Saturday after breakfast I visited Vianelly around the Royal pool, and Filberto in the lobby to say goodbye and thank them for all of their warmth and kindness. I started thinking how we never made it to “Tea Time" from 5-6 PM. We never took out a boat or snorkeled mostly due to the weather and partly due to our laziness. We also never go to hear the live band music at the Gran Azul outdoor buffet area at the main Col/Kan pool each evening from 8-11.

Our plane arrived, taking us to the airport. Lines were long, but we made our plane. We couldn’t believe for the price we paid we had such a gorgeous room, unlimited golf carts, premium drinks, such a lovely pool, great snacks at the lobby etc. etc. If it wasn’t for the rocks on the beach and the mattress situation, it would be perfect. I told my daughter and her boyfriend they need to start coming with us on our vacations as it was a trip we will always remember.

• Stayed: July 2010
8  Thank coberg
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Palladium is a nice resort, but the lack of any discernible air conditioning in the common areas/restaurants was devastating. The dress code requires long pants for men in all the restaurants except the buffets, but I was reluctant to dress up and go have a dining experience in dress clothes when the temperature inside the places was always at least 85 degrees. We only had one or two decent meals at the buffets in one week's time. The European guests all seemed surly, and for some reason had the annoying habit of never stepping aside for anyone or only using their one half of the sidewalk. My wife was almost ran into/over several times, and was ready to blow a gasket by the time the trip was over. The beach was nice, but I don't think we will be returning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fergus354
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Had originally booked a junior suite at Whitesands but as usual I decided to upgrade to the Royal Suites upon arrival.
To be honest, the money spent upgrading was probably wasted as the benefits were only marginal when compared to our original room.
Yes you get a butler (we hardly saw ours) yes you get litre bottles of vodka, whisky etc in your room (the fridge was always stocked up with beers etc) and you get exclusive use of one restaurant and also the Royal Suite lobby. The most useful extra was the ability to call a golf cart at anytime to ferry you round the resort which is huge.
Now it is a BIG resort and in the heat and humidity of the Yucatan this can be a problem. I dont mind the heat but in the evening I do like to dress up and chill out in nice air conditioned surroundings. Unfortunately most of the public areas in the Grand Palladium were only marginally cooler than the outside! If like me you find sweating when eating your meals uncomfortable then this may be an issue for you. Having said that, the rooms were cool which seemed odd that they could'nt get the a/c right elsewhere!
Another perk is the ability to pre book the a la carte restaurants. This is only really needed if you want to eat between 7.45ish to 9pm. Otherwise we had no problems getting a table but the food at these restaurants was very variable. The Brazilian and Chinese were excellent, the Italian (which I love) was abyssmal and I had the worst Pizza of my life here. The choices were fairly limited at most of the restaurants and we ate at the buffets mostly as it soon became apparent that a lot of whats on offer at the a la cartes was also available at the buffets.
There is also the exclusive area of the beach (which was wonderful) available to Royal Suites guests. However we found that anyone could and was using this area without any staff preventing them.
The bars are everywhere and we did'nt have to wait too long for drinks. After all we were'nt in a hurry to go anywhere so we did'nt mind a bit of a wait sometimes.
The staff are all very friendly and genuinly are trying to do their best. Tips are really appreciated.
All in all a little disappointing and I felt the upgrade was not worth the money. What I would say is if you are staying in the other parts of the hotel complex, try to get a block near the lobbies. The walk to the restaurants and lobbies will kill you otherwise in the heat.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank RAYWATTY

Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Royal Suites Yucatan.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Our trip started with a trip across the United States, from Alaska to Georgia we drove, took a ferry and drove some more. So after our 13 day trek across the nation we were ready for some fun in the sun! So here I go with our trip report.

We flew AirTran nonstop from Atlanta to Cancun. We had upgraded our seats the night before to Business Class and we were so glad that we did, because as we drove up to the Atlanta airport the lines for AirTran curbside check in were wrapped around the outside of the building, we went inside and found the same thing. There must have been over an hour wait in those lines. The workers kept trying to herd us to the back of the line when my husband said in a loud voice “BUISNESS CLASS!” Well that parted the Red Sea really fast and we were next in line. We sailed though the rest of the airport with only about a 15 minute wait to go through security, then off to find our plane.

The flight from Atlanta to Cancun is only about 2hours and 50 minutes and with business class you have free cocktails and snacks. The best part is that you are on and off the plane first so you have a head start on vacation time, also the big roomy seats and the one on one attention. It is just a nice way to start your vacation. (did I mention free cocktails)

We arrived at the Cancun airport and zipped right through immigration but got the red light in customs (dang) but it only slowed us down for about 10 minutes and we were off again.

We had booked our vacation through Funjet and it included free transportation to and from the resort, with Lomas Travel, I thought ahead and upgraded to a private transfer also through Lomas(very reasonable) Funjet handled everything, and they were there waiting for us, and we were ushered into a small clean van and off we went to the resort, our trip down was just about an hour, but we loved looking at all the other resort entrances on the way down. The only problem we encountered was that we were dropped off at the Rivera Lobby (mix up with Lomas’ paper work) but the bell hops quickly worked it out and we were on our way to the Royal in just seconds.

We arrived at about 1:30pm and our room was not ready yet and I was starving so after a quick lunch at the Kabah buffet in the Rivera lobby (we knew how to get to that one) we did some looking around and realized just how huge and incredibly beautiful this resort is. It was getting close to 3:00pm so we decided to walk back to the Royal lobby and see if our room was ready and it was!!! So off we went in our royal golf cart to Cabana 7216.

The Cabana is beautiful. The room is shaped like an octagon with a king size bed, a love seat, desk, and a small table with 2 chairs. The only problem I found with its design was that you could not sit on the loveseat and watch TV you would have to lie in bed; I would also request that they replace the light fixture in the center of the room with a ceiling fan/light fixture. It would really help the air flow in the bedroom (some of the others in the cabanas were saying that they could not get their room cool, but we did not have that problem) the bathroom is just as large as the bedroom and the outdoor shower is to die for . The wooded deck that overlooks the lagoon is so neat and we fed fish right there every day. I would have one suggestion for the deck chairs on the cabana decks and that would be to have thicker cushions on them, the ones they have now are very thin and you feel like you are sitting straight on the wood.

We were a short walk from the Royal pool, and that is where we decided to spend our first afternoon. It was heavenly. I turned to John and stated “I could live here” he agreed.

The second day we got up and headed to breakfast at El Jardin then off to the Royal beach…This became our habit for our whole trip. Breakfast, Beach, Lunch, nap, Pool… It seemed to work really well for us. One day we went to the salt water pool instead of the beach, but we considered it to be so close to the same thing we called it the beach.

The beach: BEAUTIFUL not a whole lot I can say other than that. The water goes from a deep sapphire blue to a light blue…THERE ARE ROCKS! We were entering were it looked like there were no rocks, and wham! I hit my toe and I do believe I broke it. It turned purple and I could not move it. It is still tender and a tiny bit discolored. Please wear your water shoes. Also there are a lot of topless women on the beach. When I saw this, I ripped off my top and my husband spent a whole day following me around begging me to put it back on. (Just kidding, hubby did a lot of begging for me to “when in Rome” I just chopped it up to him drinking too much, knowing nobody wants to see these puppies unleashed) I will say though that near to our last day there was this beautiful couple (male and female) on the beach. They were both in matching thong bikini bottoms and nothing else. They were playing paddle ball. I have to say, you know you should look away, but it is like a train wreck, and you just can’t!

The Pool: Our afternoons were spent at the Royal pool. My only complaint about the pool is how deep it is I was either having to actively tread water, swim, or sit/stand on a step. Other than that it was wonderful. The water was warm and yet cooling all at the same time. Drinks flowed, time passed with laughter and fun. (I am just so glad that what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico!)

We left the resort twice. We took the collectivo to Tulum hired a guide. It was wonderful. The only problem we ran into was that as soon as the tour was over, we were standing on the cliff over looking the most beautiful sea, it started to rain. I am not talking a little rain, I am talking raindrops the size of lima beans, and they were falling hard and fast!!! It rained so hard that when the drops hit the dirt, mud would fly up and coat our legs to our knees. The raindrops hurt when they hit you they were falling so hard. It rained like this for a least half an hour. It started raining again as we walked back to the main road, and we decided to take a taxi back to the resort. We also did a tour of Coba which took all day, but was Very interesting in informative, and in the end we got to swim in a Cenote which was great!

I will go through the restaurants we ate at and give you my findings. The thing is. Food is subjective, and what one person hates another person loves. Neither my husband nor I found the food bad. We may not have liked something, but that is anywhere you go. I will have to say that sometimes the food on the buffets were not hot enough and on our last full day there they were doing inspections and taking temps of the food on the buffet.

El Jardin -The Royal restaurant is in its self reason to go Royal. Everything was wonderful, from lobster to veal. I have two words for you Banana Flambé it was so incredible we had it 3 times! The service was impeccable, Damian was fantastic, and it was so funny the night we came in just to have the Banana Flambé he just couldn’t get that we only wanted dessert…it took a while but then it hit him and the biggest smile came across his face!

La Adelita- Mexican the food was tasty the shrimp was very fishy but the steaks were great. The salad bar was increadible as was the squash soup.

El Dorado- The steaks were very good. This would be one of our favorites.

Sumptuori- If you like show table Japanese food I hear it is wonderful. The night we went, we did not have a show table, they sat us in a corner and the air was not working. My husband loves sushi and was just not impressed. We sat there for about an hour waiting for our main course, when we just had to get up and leave because it was so hot with no air stirring my hair was sticking to the back of my neck and I just did not want to eat anymore.

Portofino- Loved it, we ate there twice. The food was wonderful both times.

Rodizio- The food here was very good. We have a Brazilian restaurant here in Atlanta where we have eaten a few times, and the main difference is that the food comes out much more quickly in the one here than the one at the resort. Where at our Brazilian restaurant you get a new meat almost every 5 to 8min. you are lucky if they come around every 20min with your meat at Rodizio. But still, it is vacation…chill

Mare Nostrum- we liked the food here, but is was not as good as some of the other choices we had made. My husband and I have traveled all over the world and we just could not see how this was considered Mediterranean

We had the Buffet one night and it was very good with lots of choices.

We used the Royal carts to go everywhere, and loved them. If we ever go back and can’t go Royal, our feeling are really going to be hurt because the royal carts spoil you…just how does one get around without them??? Ok, Ok, I know I have 2 feet and the resort has a train and a cart, but I am lazy and impatient.

To tell you that this was the perfect vacation would be lying to you. No vacation is perfect, but this one came darn close. We didn’t have to worry about anything for 10 days. Were there kinks? Yes, like them knocking on the door while we were napping to tell us they needed to work on our roof. Seriously??? Yes, but we just went to the pool early and hung out with our new friends. Did we have ants in the bathroom? Yes, but they came and sprayed and no more ants…We are in the jungle people! We could not have had a better vacation. It is a beautiful resort. In fact it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of places.

What you get for the price is just wonderful. I don't know how you could make it any better and not charge a whole lot more. We will be back and we will bring friends...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank aunderwood

Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

Reviewed 21 June 2010

FLIGHT:
Flew JetBlue. Wonderful, wonderful experience and would highly recommend them. We were in and out of the airport in 30 minutes. USATransfers was waiting for us. Took off for the Palladium within 10 mins. Took 90 mins. to arrive at the resort.

ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN:

CHECK-IN:
Room was ready for us at 2:00 when we arrived. No wait at all. Received their special drink while visiting the receptionist who walked us through all our ammenities including butler/concierge service. Taken to room via golf cart. by the way, do not take the breakfast meeting unless you are willing to spend a few hours learning about how you can spend your money buying weeks. I understand it is fairly high pressured sales. We own a timeshare in Myrtle Beach and it is a deed. Whatever you get here is not anything you will ever own in the future, so just beware. They also try to tell you it's a big breakfast you get for going. Well, they eat exactly what we ate at El Jardin..nothing more, nothing less. So don't go for that either.

ROOM:
Received third floor, bldg 70 as requested and had an ocean view. Met one of the butlers who hooked me up to the internet. Had to use ethernet connection but by end of the week could use the wifi connection as well.
Room was spectacular. Huge. Had open bathroom concept which was fine for hubby and I. Balcony overlooked the mangroves, the lake, and had ocean view. Also had a jacuzzi tub. Used that once.
Never used room service. Just preferred to eat at El Jardin every morning. Rooms were very quiet and we never heard other voices. Only thing was when they cleaned you could hear furniture being moved, but nothing at night ever woke us up. They ask that everyone be quiet after 10 p.m. Minibar was restocked every day with peanuts and drinks. Maid service was impeccable and he/she made towel animals for us every day. Service was always performed between 11 and 2. Night service was done around 8:00 where bed was turned down and chocolate laid on the turned down blanket. Very nice.
Never used the minibar's alcohol but there was plenty of booze to make what you wanted.

RESORT:
The resort itself is huge,absolutely no doubt about that. We were driven anywhere we wanted throughout the resort. Never waited more than 10 mins. just ask bartender, butler or receptionist to get transportation for you. Very handy. You can easily get lost but it is interesting to see where every path leads you. I found the chapel on one of my walks of the resort complex in the morning.

FOOD:

The food is very very good for the most part. We ate at El Jardin every morning but one. You just can't go wrong with breakfast. Any eggs you wanted, any type were available to you. If you didn't want the buffet, you could order off the menu, or both! There weren't always pancakes (only once) on the buffet, so I ordered them one morning. We ate dinner at El Dorado twice. The filet mignon was excellent! And the potatoes and vegetables were very good and they had the best caesar salad that we found. We ate at Sumptouri twice, once tepanyaki and once regular table. I would not do the regular table again as the food is different. I thought we were getting grilled shrimp but it ended up being covered in breading (tempura). The fried ice cream is yummy. We ate a few meals at El Jardin (lobster) which were all good. We always ate at the Kabah when we went for buffet. Asian was our first night there, it was awesome! I ordered grilled shrimp and the chef just threw on a few handfuls...sooo good. I wish I could have done that all week! Otherwise, lunches there were great. You could order grilled veal, grouper, mahi mahi, chicken, salmon. I mean, there's no reason you can't find something to eat. If you ever think the food is terrible, then you just aren't easy to please because no matter what, there's something for everybody. We also stopped by on Italian night and I got the fettuccini pesto..sooo delish! So please don't worry about the food, it was very good.
The times that the restaurants seemed to get busy was around 7:30 to 9:00. We always ate around 7 so it was never a problem with or without reservations.

POOLS AND BARS:

Pools are huge, got warm after being sunny all day so wasn't as refreshing as the ocean, but that bothered hubby more than me. The pool at RSY is very small, so we didn't hang there that often. Wasn't really any music playing except at the little bar and it wasn't turned up very loud. Not a big deal but then the pool was so quiet! The White Sand adult pool may have had 10 people at any one time. I believe the capacity was down last week esp. at White Sand and Riviera and RSY.

I wasn't all that impressed with the activities people. You really didn't see a whole lot of them. I guess I'm comparing this to the Star Friends at Iberostar. They would come around and talk to everyone, even eat breakfast with you, but the People of Palladium really weren't all that visible. It seemed to me they stayed in the activities hut near the towel hut and that was pretty much it. So I don't give very high marks to them. We never saw any of the shows. There wasn't even much advertisement about them. Only once did I hear an announcement about coming to see one. I again compare this to Iberostar where they constantly told you about what was going on and made it more personable.

The bar is nice at the Royal Suites, but small. They can get you sandwiches and they also have trail mix there for you as a snack and also fruit was put out on skewers around noontime. Very nice. This was not available anywhere else. The bartenders for the most part that I encountered were very cheery and nice. Filberto ended up being my favorite but unfortunately I didn't really get to know him till our last night. The lobby bar at RSY is not busy at all, and we were waiting to go to dinner. He introduced me to some great shots, i.e, Sambuca and Amaretto, so after we ate we came back and I had more shots with him. He was very nice to talk to and I would recommend visiting him every night if you can. We met a few employees that were more over the top than some. I wouldn't say there were a lot of waiters and waitresses that went too far out of their way for you, but some were more helpful than others.

The swimup bars are not easily accessible, esp. if you are on the opposite side of the pool. It is quite a distance to go for a drink and then to go back to your chair, isn't really a well thoughtout layout of the swimup bar. I much prefer the one at Iberostar which was more centrally located to all sides of the pool plus it has an ice cream shop up above where you can help yourself. At Palladium they are very stingy with their ice cream. It's not a big deal, but I like my ice cream!!

The private beach is probably one of the best perks of the RSY. It was so far away so it's a must to take a golf cart ride there. We enjoyed the beach beds and the water right out front is incredibly awesome, but beware of the rocks going into the water. You might think it's straight the whole way out, but just a few feet and watch out...you need to sort of jump or get help jumping over this area. Our last time there we found a spot just beyond the makeshift gazebo that is up that is flat the whole way out. Good luck finding it! ;)

Beach bar at the private beach has little or no service, even though I was told there was some there. The girl came out maybe twice our whole week but we had already ordered drinks so there was nothing for her to get us. She would bring around sandwiches. If you weren't there for them, they might have some left over in their fridge, just ask. We got a fruit bowl once. I guess you just had to hit it at the right time.

We never got to the spa. I'm not sure what the big deal is, except that it may be peaceful and quiet there. It isn't the easiest place to get to since it's pretty far from the RSY but we are okay with that. I'm not sure I would have gone even if it was right next door, so no big deal.

We did have butler service and anything we needed we got. They had to come the first day there to fix up the internet for me. I ended up needing an ethernet cable which they provided and it worked fine. The last day there I lost the connection but ended up being able to connect to the wifi. Not sure why it wouldn't all week, but at least I had it and was able to Skype with my daughter to keep in touch.

We did make it into Playa Del Carmen one night by taking the Colectivo. What we ended up with was a huge bus going into PDC instead of the small Colectivo. We paid $1 pp. On the way back we obtained a colectve and I gave the driver $6. So it cost us $7 to go up and back to PDC for two. It was worth the trip. I would definitely do that again and not spend $50 for a taxi and get the overall experience of riding with the locals.

This resort (the entire complex) is just so huge. And since it is 90 mins. south, we will probably not go back, but that's not to say that I wouldn't give it a try if it is your first time. It is definitely worth checking out. I think overall we liked Iberostar Paraiso LIndo better for location, length of time getting there and bar service, entertainment and the complex is easy to get around. But I don't regret our stay at the Palladium and am glad for the experience. everyone just needs to figure out what they want and what they are willing to settle for.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank courtrep45

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Royal Suites Yucatan

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort years ago. It’s always a pleasure when our guests have a wonderful time with us.
We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to show you the newest development and progress.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Royal Suites with another couple, we are all in our 30s. We spent a week at the Valentin last year and had the most amazing time - our expectations were high. We spent weeks researching and reading reviews and decided that, especially with the price we paid, we were in for something great at the Palldium.

Overall, we had a great time together, the facilities are beautiful and the staff at the hotel really did their best to go above and beyond our expectations. I work in the hospitality business so I understand that sometimes things don't go as planned, the staff at the Royal Suites did an incredible job of gracefully resolving issues and doing so with a smile.

The food was terrible. Period. Three days after returning home we are still "feeling the effects". I read the reviews about the food and really thought, "hey, I can survive on nachos if I have to". Well, nachos are just "stadium cheese" that's been sitting out for who knows how long and chips. We tried several of the ala cartes and found the food to be sodium-packed and over cooked. Breakfast at El Jardin was usually pretty safe, dinner there was average at best. We aren't picky eaters and we don't require every meal to be fresh and delicious but one would have been nice. The "gas station" sandwiches at the pool started looking like the only safe option. Room Service was just the same terrible food delivered to your door.

The resort is large and beautiful. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to belittle the experience there or ramble on, until this trip I would have never guessed that bad food could have so impacted a vacation. We were physically unable to eat anything else there and for that reason, we will not return.

The Royal Suites are advertised to offer free WiFi, the connection was the slowest I have ever encountered, slower than dial up - it wasn't worth accessing, even in the Royal Lobby. (which kept me off line for several days, not necessarily a bad thing).

The beaches are beautiful (much nicer than at the Valentin). I loved the assortment of pools and was especially intrigued by the Salt Water pool. The drinks were great. The cart service was certainly a treat and the drivers are delightful. We were amazed at how pervasive smoking was around the resort - on the beach, at the pools, outside the restaurants.

We paid very little for this vacation and have learned a very valuable lesson about that.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LCHRH
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Travelled here April 16- 23 and booked 6months before with WestJet Vacations.
When we arrived a the Royal lobby they made it seem like we were good to go to our room but after siging all the paper work and putting on our bracelets the manager told us they overbooked and there were no rooms available in the Royal suites. We were unhappy they were bumping us to the Riviera section, and lost a day dealing with our WestJet rep to resolve the issue. It took long to get everything fully resolved through phone and email, but we ended up getting a credit back for the room difference, and also got a room on the 3rd floor with ocean view while keeping our Royal perks.
I have heard this happening in other parts of the resorts, but not the Royal section reason we booked here. It looks like it happens period. We met many people that got bumped during our stay, including people in wedding parties.
The beach, restaurants, food, pool, rooms, spa, and service everywhere but with management was excellent. Even though the resort was very nice we would not recommend it or go back in the future.
Tips if you do go
Bring water shoes!
Only eat at El Jardine ,we ate steak and lobster everynight better than any other al a carte
Dont order room service we never got what we ordered (tried 3 times)
There are sandwiches and fruits bowls on the Royal beach around 12:00 everyday don't miss them
Try and go to the Royal beach earlier if you want to get a Bali bed they are limited
Go to the spa late in the evening when it's not as busy
Shows aren't worth watching at this resort, better to go to bed early and get up early
It takes long to be picked up by the karts at the Royal beach so plan to spend the day there
Good luck!