“Highly recommended”

La Posada de los 40 Canones
Ranked #2 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel, probably the nicest in town, is perfectly located. It's located at the edge of the hotel/restaurant/shop zone on the malecon but within a minute of walking time you are in the middle of everything. Their beach is about 15 steps from the hotel and is perfectly maintained. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable. Ours (room 23) was wonderful and had just about the most gorgeous view you could ask for. The restaurant and bar look directly out onto the malecon and beach and are exactly what you would expect in such a wonderfully tropical setting. And to top it all off, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend 40 canones to anyone who was going to spend some quality time in Mahahual.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vetinguy

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We left the ship Dawn and we scouted for a place to sit and have a margarita. 40 was the one I chose because it was clean and comfortable. I had the best margarita in my life and I tried a lot or different ones. We had the nachos and they were excellent . But I wished I could have tried an entree but I was full. I will have something to come back for now. Alfonso Perez was my waiter and was very attentive and enjoyable. And I didn't catch the guys name that was working with him because I was really enjoying my margaritas and nachos by then. I wish they had a place where I live. Don't miss this gem. Have a margarita, you won't be sorry. Here is a picture of my waiter and table so you do not miss it. enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathy k
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family and I had lunch and spent our afternoon at this restaurant and we had amazing service from Alfonso Perez and Wilberth Gonzalez. They really made the experience at the restaurant memorable. Both of these guys were wonderful! They have magnetic personalities and their attention to detail made us feel like we were being pampered! We got the red snapper (which was my daughters favorite fish she's had) and the lobster. Both were fantastic!! Thanks for the great experience!! We want to come back just to see you two!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The photos in the web page were great, the reality was disappointing. The room we were was really small and uncomfortable. It was raining and we had to spend some time inside the room, there was no place to sit, the only place you could hang around was the bed. The TV was really small and to make things worse pair of ropes blocked the view of the TV. I was expecting and austere hotel but not uncomfortable. The courtyard is nice, but you can't hang around there. The view of our room's terrace was a rooftop. The restaurant was OK. The bathroom was also very small. I understand small in NYC but in Mahahual beach with plenty of space I don't.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

It's quite a pretty looking hotel with a nice beach. The food was surprisingly good. Most people who actually stay here are Mexican as the only Americans or Europeans you tend to see are from the cruise ships which arrive every day or two for a morning leaving early afternoon.

As the hotel room doors and walls were extremely thin we would have expected the staff not to carry on their conversations at full volume at 5:30am in the morning - very inconsiderate. Also the hotel was half empty and as I wasn't overly satisfied with our "seaview" I asked for a room that was apparently empty with a far better view. It was confirmed that it wasn't booked the next two nights but we would have to pay extra. We didn't pay extra so we made do with our crappy seaview while the good room sat empty. NOT what normal hotels usually do.

Some words of warning - this was the ONLY restaurant open after 4pm each day - ALL the other places close their shutters the second the ships pull away. The only ATM's in town had no money in them for the duration of our stay (only gas station didn't take credit cards). There really is nothing to do other than go to the beach - no walks, no nearby attractions. We would have spent some extra time in Tulum instead of a four hour round trip from there. If you're touring from Cancun I would swing out to Chichen-itza, take a stroll in Vallidod down the road then continue 1.5 hrs to Tulum. After that I would not go any further South - wander up the coast instead.

Room Tip: If you ask for a seaview room ask them to send you a picture of the view first.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I did not stay at this hotel,but walk passed it 2-3 times a day,also took a look at the menu and the prices are very reasonable.The restaurant and bar section is the best in Mahahual,it's huge and airy and no peddlers to bother you,they have masseus and water sports right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We really was looking for a hotel/cabanas just outside the city centre of Mahahual as we have a real hard time with the invasion of tourists that appears when one of the cruiseships arrive to town. It's horrible and you can't walk many meters without someone trying desperately to sell you stuff.

The places we had in mind was fully booked and we ended up at 40 Canones by coincidence. By what a nice coincidence it turned out to be! It's a really nice hotel, with beautiful details everywhere.
We stayed in a double room on the 3rd floor, with a nice balcony towards the ocean. What a view! And the hotel is more or less situated on the beach, with just the walking path that goes through all of Mahahual in front of it.

The room was spotlessly clean, and quite big. The restaurant was great and staff friendly.

So if you want to stay in the middle of Mahahual this is a great choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family