“Smack in the middle”

Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill
Ranked #1 of 78 Restaurants in Mahahual
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mahahual’s premier ocean front dining experience. A unique cultural and culinary blend of the best of Mexico and the US. Our food, music and ambiance combine the tastes and flavors of both of these two wonderful countries. We are located on the Malecon right in the center of the downtown beachfront. We offer comfortable inside dining as well as tables in the sand, just a few steps from the beautiful clear Caribbean waters. Best food and conversation in town!
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The restaurant was right in the middle of the downtown area on the beach. They offer free beach recliners that can be reserved online at no cost so that if you arrive on a cruise ship day there is no question of whether or not you will have beach access with service for food and drink. A used bookstore and Mexican crafts store is located inside in case you want something to read while hanging on the beach and to take with you when you leave. They also offer free calls to the United States and Canada so you can call home and check on your children or in my case my cats and free WiFi. The rest rooms are just steps away or like me after a couple of brews a quick jog away. The food and drinks are very reasonably priced and the portions are large. Once you arrive and stake your chair and area you are free to roam up and down the beach area browsing the tons of shops. Good food, good prices, and guaranteed seating only at Tropicante. What more could you ask for?

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

First let me apologize for not sharing this earlier but I went here in May 2011, while on Carnival Dream. I did not want to do a formal excursion so I decided to email the American Proprietor before setting sail in order to reserve lounge chairs (paid for them we we got there...I think it was 7 pp). When we got to port we (me, hubby and 4 kids) took a cab to the establishment and enjoyed food, swimming and beachside massages (3 of my kids got 10 minute massages...think I paid 10$ each). The establishment is set in a little town approx 10 minutes away from the port. The restaurant is on one side of the street and the beach, lounge chairs and tables were about 100 feet across the street directly in front of the establishment. The staff was friendly, courteous and prompt. The food was tasty and reasonably priced...there was a website with menu. There are at times locals who will walk by and try to sell handmade goods but they are not overbearing. This was a great place to relax.

1  Thank cephuslilnation
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We did not get to spend too much time here, but we wanted to stop and check it out before heading back to the port because we had read so many good reviews on TA about this place. Everything was pretty much as most of the other reviews had stated before we left. The food was delicious and reasonably priced for this section of the beach with large portions (see pic). Drinks were cold and inexpensive for this area of the beach too! I think they were $3 per beer here, but I'm not quite positive. The owner was on site and made sure to take time to come over and talk to us even though we were not here long. The beach looked pretty in this area and was mostly comparable with all of Mahahual. I could imagine having a nice relaxing day here. Would definitely recommend checking them out for a bite to eat!!!

1  Thank Shawni_and_Buck
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Definitely find this restaurant when in Mahahual (Costa Maya, Mexico). Steve the owner is fabulous! His directions were right on target. We arrived on our cruise ship, left the port and found a cab right where he said they would be. The cab drive was 5 minutes to the Tropicante at $2 per person - again, just as Steve said. We arrived to find our name on a chalkboard and 5 lounge chairs and an umbrella just as we had asked for. The food, drinks and service were exceptional. Jorge was extremely helpful. He arranged for my kids to paddle board - which they loved. Everything about our day was wonderful!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This restaurant should not be missed if traveling to Costa Maya. Steve is a wonderful asset to this city. The food was fresh & excellent. Service is exceptional, the staff could not be more helpful.

1  Thank Jeanette K