“A bit pricey but lovely place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mahahual
Nacional Beach Club & Bungalows
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We were here during the slower season, so it was mostly Mexican tourists (which I find refreshing). They showed us a couple of rooms, one w/o AC and one with. Both rooms were quite lovely. They gave us 250 MXN a night off of the rack price. They are right across from the beach and chaise lounges with umbrellas on the beach for your use. The A/C worked VERY well. The room was spacious and extremely comfortable with a small patio with chairs. They also have a very tiny fresh water pool which was very enjoyable. Staff were all quite friendly and helpful. Our bus wasn't leaving until much later, so they offered to hold onto our bags and allowed us to use the other facilities until we were ready to go. WiFi was down while we were there so can't comment on that.

One irritating things was the plethora of small ants that were in our bathroom and on our bed, but they weren't a major issue.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Nacional Beach Club & Bungalows

Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I drove to Mahahual from Cancun chasing more affordable prices. Nacional Beach Club fit the bill perfectly: right on the water and very affordable. My husband and I actually stayed in the little teal cabana out front, right behind the bar with a direct view of the Malecon.

Evan was a great host, very flexible and hospitable. He gave us the wifi code before we had even paid for our room, and during a power outage one night he brought a bunch of candles around and even opened up the bar for us. Jose the bartender (not sure if he'll still be there!) was a good sport made just about anything we asked him.

The room itself was immaculate, with a comfortable bed, hot water, big ceiling fans, and screens on the windows. We had zero issues with bugs, one of my first times anywhere in Mexico where I could say that!

Also good to note that we went during Carnival, which was fantastic!

Room Tip: The cabanas were cheaper, and we thought they were beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

It's green awning and umbrellas stood out like a beacon amid the tourist trap row. My wife was giving me dirty looks as I insisted we leave the cruise ship dock area and go downtown. Hey, no Senor Frogs for me! When the van dropped us off I was beginning to doubt myself until we walked upon the Nacional Beach Club. Great people, fun laid back vibe. $10 gets you a chair and umbrella on the beach with bar service. Inside was full of laid back 20-30 somethings chilly on the free wifi. Food was excellent, tacos and guac with a view of the beach, all good. HIghly recommend. Escape the cruise ship dock with its cheesy tourist traps and get to the Nacional, you will be glad you did.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ColonelTim
Reviewed 25 March 2012

It took me longer to review Nacional Beach Club & Bungalows than I wanted it to, because it was difficult to find the listing on TripAdvisor. While Nactional Beach Club and Bungalows is undoubtedly "special", they also offer every amenity if not more than other hotels in Mahahual. As such, I think they should be listed under "hotels" where they would quickly become #1 - but perhaps re-allocation is not necessary, their reputation clearly precedes them as they certainly do not lack a multitude of happy customers.

In fact, as a regular visitor to Mahahual (having been 8 times in the past 18 months alone), now that I have discovered this gem, I would not stay anywhere else. Evan and Anna provide a warm, caring environment, Perla, and the other staff offer professional, attentive and kind service, and Kevin and Stumpie provide authenticity and entertainment.

The suites are comfortable and well appointed and are integrated into their natural surroundings with Evan and Anna taking great care to preserve and nurture their property from recycling to composting to growing their own garden to more plans in the works.

I truly feel I have not only discovered my new favorite accommodations in Mahahual - beachfront, walking distance to all my other faves - but have made new friends. Having 22 years of international hospitality management experience, I would not hesitate in recommending Nacional Beach Club and Bungalows. Tell them Stacey from Belize sent you, and have a great time!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I think the title sums it up succinctly. For the money spent, this is probably the best place you can stay in the town of Majahual. If there is availability.

Let's start with the rooms. The rooms are big, the electricity works, the a/c works, and the hot water is extremely reliable. The bathrooms are high quality - showers are well-designed, the toilets are high quality, the water pressure is fine, and there is actually room for two or even three people in the bathroom simultaneously. There is a nice porch outside each room, for private relaxing. The porch door has a well-crafted screen system, allowing full ventilation into the room, without insects making their way in. The two upper story rooms have nice views of the ocean from the porch.

Location is heart of Majahual, on the beach, and there is a nice off-street parking area. The dining and bar areas are outstanding - and the owners take great pride in making certain they are clean and well-maintained. There is a nice small infinity pool in the outdoor bar area, if that's your thing.

The owners come from the organic food side of the world, and while that might be tough to pull off completely in Costa Maya, they put a lot of effort into serving high-quality, natural food. Everything, except maybe the corn tortillas, was made from scratch in their kitchen. By a cook that actually cares and takes great pride in the food. The food is simple yet very good, their red and green salsas are fantastic, and after careful scientific survey we've concluded they serve the best ceviche on the Maldecon. They are also one of the few places that serves breakfast in the area, and open at 8am as well. Big plus, they serve french-press coffee. Most coffee in this area is instant, not here. They take coffee as seriously as you do.

I think the greatest thing about this place is some sort of serendipitous combination of personal service and ownership pride. The owners, Ana y Evan, really care about their operation, their customers, and their facility. They take great pride in providing high quality of service and operations. And it shows. This is the type of service and quality that you find rarely in Mexico.

We give this place our highest possible recommendation. We have visited twice, and plan to go back in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My daughter and I won a cruise to Mexico in January of 2011. This being our first cruise, we had no idea what we would do on our day trips. At Costa Maya/Mahahual, we walked around and did the touristy things, but had no extra cash to pay for any excursions. We did however, have enough money for a bus ride to the beach, but did not understand that the return trip would not be by bus, but by taxi only, and would cost extra! After paying for our beach chairs at Nacional Beach Club and having a great day lounging, we realized that we didn't have enough cash left for a taxi ride back to the ship! Evan was gracious enough to loan me the taxi fare and trusted me when I told him I would send him a payment via PayPal once I returned home. That is uncommon hospitality! Thanks again Evan!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank jdvroegop
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My girlfriend and I were on a cruise and just happened to stop by the outside bar. we liked it so much we stayed there our entire day. Evan and Ana are so nice and we suggest anyone looking to visit the area stay with them. The rooms are simple yet very nice and right on the beach. if you dive stay with them because they have a very nice dive guide right next door which also has the best prices we encountered all week. I'll have to say we will be back but next time we will be staying with them for at least a week. Evan was nice enough to to show us the rooms and treat us like long time friends. Not to mention he makes the best Rita's my girlfriend and I have ever had. I have been working in the Hospitality industry for a long time and Nacional Beach Club and Bungalows is going to be our annual trip from now on. Thank you so much Evan y Ana we look forward to seeing you soon. I truly can't say enough about how much we enjoyed their hotel and restaurant. It is a small luxuary hotel at a very affordable price. Loved it loved it loved it. see you two very soon and thank you so much for making the last day of our cruise the best.

Room Tip: he has two types of rooms suites and bungalows. both are very nice I would stay in the bungalow pers...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple