“Could have been better!”
Review of Hotel Arenas

Hotel Arenas
Ranked #14 of 23 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Corozal Town, Belize
“Could have been better!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was our second time to this hotel. The first time was great but now their service has declined. The rooms need some maintenance nonetheless it was very clean and ac was nice. The curtains can be changed or washed. The beach was wonderful, very private. The ceviche was to die for. The continental breakfast that is included is a shame- toast bread with coffee- that's it! I recall the first time I went there, the breakfast was wonderful. Overall with minor changes, Hotel Arenas can go back to being great!

Room Tip: Go for the superior rooms. Nice views!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kyn2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Our experience at this hotel was not a good one!!! Aside from the lack of concern shown from hotel staff for issues such as the air conditioner not working and no shower curtain or bath mat to prevent shower water from splashing, or no internet signal we were offered a simple shrug of the shoulders……..

My husband and I were on a road trip and left all our valuables back in our condo locked in a safe in Playa del Carmen with the exception of my 35 mm camera valued at $500 USD. We checked into Arenas Hotel between 5 and 6pm on Tues. Feb. 26, 2013 and stayed in room #3 for one night. While we were out for dinner someone entered our room and stole my camera. It was stolen out of my beach bag while left in my room. The camera was removed from the camera case that is why I did not notice it missing until we returned to Playa del Carmen. This was the only time the bag was out of my sight. The property is very small and we had to walk by the front desk to exit and it is a short drive to town to go out for dinner. The staff watched us get in our car and drive off that evening.

When I got back to PDC I sent two emails to the hotel before I received this response: “HOTEL DUE TO POLICIES THAT ARE PLACED IN HOTEL ROOMS suggests giving VALOS YOUR THINGS TO HOME, IN CASE OF THEFT, the procedures MINISTRY TO THE PUBLIC. WHICH SUGGEST THAT PUT YOUR CLAIM. THE INFORMATION RECEIVED BY YOU REVIEW ALL HOTEL AND ROOM OF EMPLOYEES AS EACH MONTH.”

TRANSLATION>>>>Hotel suggests leaving valuables at home in case of theft!!!!! They also claim their total surprise and that this has NEVER happened before.

***This property and it’s management have no concern for it’s customers and have just added insult to injury with their cold response.

Valuables can be replaced but my holiday memories that were captured on my camera are priceless and can not be.

Since I have returned from Mexico I see another traveler has had the same experience.
People, lets stand up for ourselves and STAY AWAY from this property.

***Please note this rating by another trip advisor member:

Traveller rating:
"Very bad service"
13 Jan 2013 A TripAdvisor Member
The beach and hotel infrastructure are very good, however the service is terrible, the rooms gave me the dirty, daily cleaning in the rooms always leave much to be desired, and to top it off, stole personal items from the room, clothing and electronics. We complained and said goodbye to staff but there. Too bad about the place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debbie1012

Travellers are raving about these Mahahual hotels

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Our third trip to the Costa Maya while staying in Mexico, and our second stay at this hotel. Staff is very friendly and professional and always willing to help you in anyway. Cost of room for low season, is very reasonable. Away from the 'town centre' and the boat people, when cruise ship in town, making this a very quiet location. the little beach across from the hotel is very quiet and shallow but the snorkling is wonderful as you swim tothe reef's edge and see loads of fish. Toitally recommend this hotel with sea-view room. Sadly, if there is not tourists in town, from either ships or passing thru, it can be quiet, but yet not good for the local business. But the area is a wonderful place to visit and see another side of Mexico.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Colima, Mexico
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Hotel Arenas is maybe a "once upon a time" good hotel and could be a great hotel today if the staff all received an attitude adjustment, and the hotel took more care in maintaining their rooms.

This was our second time visiting the beautiful beach in Mahahual and we decided to try one of the "nicer" hotels down the road. At first glance, it looks very nice and well maintained but once you get a closer look, it´s nothing more but a "has been". The receptionist/hotel manager boy that ran the front desk told us when we were inquiring about the hotel that it included breakfast for 700 pesos a night, we thought it was good value and decided to stay the next day. The next morning when we checked in, we were given a choice between 2 rooms so we decided on the king size with refrigerator. Later that night to find a large black scorpion climbing out from behind the head board as we were drifting off to sleep. We went down to the front desk and they sent 2 young boys up to get rid of it. They were lifesavers.
The next morning, when we went down to have breakfast, the waitress told us that we didn´t have breakfast included. We asked her to check and I watched as the front desk boy/hotel manager shook his head no. My partner then had to go and speak to him directly and then he decided to give us the continental breakfast which consisted of cheap boxed juice, coffee and one slice of toast. I was in total disbelief at what was being offered to us for breakfast and at the fact that he decided to not include breakfast for us.
When we finished we both realized that we forgot to bring money to leave a tip so we were going back to our room to go get some money but as we got up from the table the waitress yelled from across the room in Spanish - "Sir, gratuity is not included in your breakfast". My partner replied that we were on our way to go get some money but I couldn´t help but feel shocked as the other tables stared at us during this small confrontation.
We went upstairs, packed our bags and on our way out left a nice tip to the young boy discreetly, as he was the one who was actually serving us (also the boy who got rid of the scorpion for us).
I DO NOT recommend this hotel. My partner and I have been traveling around Mexico for 2 years now and I have always been happy with Mexican hospitality and friendliness. Arenas hotel puts Mexican kindness to shame.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KmLXalapa
Oakbank
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The hotel is a bit of a walk into town. We did not find it too far but we are both walkers. As long as you don't mind walking by garbage all the way. Arenas is a newer hotel and has a fridge which you will need. It does not cool off much even at night A good thing when you are traveling down there in winter. The hotel provided all necessary toiletries and also rented their one bicycle. Do not expect much with the wifi? Apparently it can only
Handle 3 users at one time and front desk is always on. We found good wifi in town in multiple
Places. Arenas has a young man doing handyman jobs as well as bell boy, coconut opening bartender etc. he is a great young hard working man. He made our stay enjoyable. The small restaurant had decent food and good service.
Overall a decent hotel fairly priced.
Mahahual need to go to work on a beach clean up though. I think they are going for the record for longest string of garbage along the coast. It is a nice quiet little
Place to visit though. As mentioned in other reviews, town pretty well rolls
Up the carpet when cruise ships leave.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank badavy13
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Staying in the Playa del Carmen area for an extended stay, we decided to take our second trip south and visit Mahahual..overnight...2.5 hours south. Day was gorgeous, beaches beautiful but loaded with 'boat people', as you have to remember this is a cruise ship destination. Capable of 5 ships per day, fortunately when we arrived there was only one and they were nearing the end of their day therefore departing soon. We decided to check out the nearby hotels but opted for a few more secluded, boutique type hotels south of the main beach area...maybe like 1 mile south of the activity.

The Hotel Arenas was right on the beach (well across the dirt roadway)...had their own private beach area for customers/quests; service on the beach..either drinks or dinner or breakfast...very accommodating. Very friendly. We choose the top floor room to spoil ourselves. Very clean, a/c, gorgeous view...sunrises directly in front of you...very spectacular! Cost of food was very moderate considering the area. Only spent one night but will spend more on next trip. Mahahual has beautiful beaches...great snorkelling. Where the malecon (walkway) is, there are lots of vendors and restaurants and beach palapas to take in the view. The vendors are very similar to 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen!!! which is why we chose to stay a bit out of it at the Arenas. Overall a GREAT experience. Again, boat people abound if a ship is in port. Check schedules!

Room Tip: don't be afraid to ask to view the room.;
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CookyM-G
marshall mo
Reviewed 13 April 2011

i had the pleasure to stay at hotel arenas. the rooms & staff were great ! i spoke no spanish when i arrived yet was still able to have a great time & learn a little spanish when i left. the staff was great & saw to our every need. the rooms were always spotless, the food was reasonably priced & excellent to eat. when one the staff luciana found out i was a finicky eater. she went out her way to order for me knowing my preferences i was never disappointed. if you are a couple on a romantic get-a-away, business man, or on family vacation. this little hotel has it all. right on the beach with free kayaks & just a short distance from the store & nightlife. i will visit again & recommend to anyone staying in mahahaul to do the same.

Room Tip: rooms 5-6 have the best ocean view
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends