“Personalized service and laid back atmosphere”

Hotel El Caballo Blanco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mahahual
Ottawa, Ontario
“Personalized service and laid back atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at Hotel El Caballo Blanco a few times in the past couple of years and just keep going back. The atmosphere is totally laid back and you are made to feel like it is your home in Mahahual. Tina and her staff could not possibly make our stay any better. They know everything and can provide you with recommendations on anything you would like to do in the area. For us it is eating, drinking and scuba diving. The scuba diving is totally amazing. The reefs are beautiful and very healthy.

The hotel is small with very comfortable and spotlessly clean rooms and common areas. There are lots of stores and restaurants all around the hotel and Pro Divers is literally one big step away from their front porch.

I don't even know where to start with the food. If you want anything all you have to do is ask in advance and they will do their best to find and cook it for you, although you will probably find their regular menu more than satisfying.

The atmosphere in Mahahual is small town Mexico and everyone knows each other so there is a lot of incentive to provide good and honest services. As mentioned, Tina knows just about everyone and always provides very good advice.

If available choose one of the rooms in the front facing the ocean with the large balconies. They are worth every peso. Although probably not advisable, we never felt the need to even bother with using the safe.

We will definitely be back in the near future for another visit to a true Mexican paradise.

Room Tip: Choose one of the premium rooms with the large balconies. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luv2travel9999
reenibohini, Public Relations Manager at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us this wonderful review! It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest!
We greatly appreciate it and hope to see you soon.

Marie Sanchez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've stayed at many of the hotels in Mahuhaul and there are quite a few "good" hotels that I was very satisfied with during my prior trips but Caballo Blanco is a notch above the rest for a variety of reasons. First, the location and views are simply breathtaking, just picture that idealistic Caribbean ocean view you might see in a Carona commercial and you will start to understand just how special this place is. From the moment I arrived I felt like I was visiting friends - kind of a cheesy cliche I know but I can't describe it any other way! By the time you leave the entire staff will know your name, have treated you like family, and have made it very hard to leave (believe me, I ended up extending my trip a few days because I couldn't bring myself to leave!). Tina, the owner, and her family run the hotel and I couldn't have asked for a better host. The rooms are great, comfortable beds, sky TV, internet access, etc. All that you would expect in a great hotel. Try the lobster tacos, incredible and you won't be disappointed. Finally, I'm writing this review with mixed emotions....The selfish side of me would like to keep this gem to myself;). Bottom line, if your thinking about a trip to Mahuhaul or anywhere in the southern yucatan this is the hotel for you. You will not be disappointed!

I arrived as a guest but left having gained new friends vowing to return as soon as humanly possible. After saying our goodbyes as I was leaving and exchanging hugs with Tina and staff (which speaks volumes) I began my trip back home....a sad trip home. The next time I'm traveling for work and staying at one of the big national chains I'm going to give the front desk person a hug when I check out....just kidding but you get the point. I'll post a bunch of pictured that I took during my stay. Words can't possibly express how much I enjoyed my stay ! Thank you Tina, looking forward to my next visit!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but in my opinion spending the few extra dollars form the rooms facing the o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John S
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Wow! The best!!!! Coming from you that's something! I believe you have stayed in every hotel in Mahahual. It was such a pleasure having you here with us. I was so sad to see you leave. Next time I'll have to hide your keys. Thank you for writing such a beautiful review for us, and posting such great pictures. It means a lot to me. If your in that big chain hotel and they won't give you a hug, remember there's plenty of hugs waiting for you here. Come back soon, we will always have room for you here.
Bigggg hugggggs!!!!
Belize
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have stayed in several locations in Mahahual and this is my favorite spot. You cannot ask for a better view of the reef than the ocean front room. The lower levels have enormous front balconies just above the boardwalk. They are great for people watching on cruise ship days. There is a nice little infinity pool(slightly larger than a hot tub) on the roof. This is a great place to bring a few drinks and enjoy the afternoon or sunset. Fun murals in the rooms too.

Room Tip: Ocean front only
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank scro830
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us this wonderful review!
We greatly appreciate it and hope to see you soon.
Marie Sanchez
Portsmouth, Ohio
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Very clean with all the comforts of home. Cable tv and a/c which most hotels in this town do not have. You can hear the ocean from your bed and the view is completely amazing!

This was my third time staying at this hotel and service is consistently excellent.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank cherylwrt
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review, and choosing to stay with us on more than one occasion . It's always a pleasure seeing your smiling face on my patio. We look forward to seeing you agin soon. Good luck in Alaska.
Big hugs,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed in this outstanding establishment for the third time in the last two years and I could not imagine bringing in my 50th birthday in any other way. The rooms are pristine, the bed more comfortable than my own at home (did I mention amazing sheets, pillows and comfort)? Tina (the owner) clearly takes pride in the quality of services, food and comfort that all her guests receive. When I am not scuba diving, I am enjoying the magnificent view of the ocean, surfing the net and watching the smiling faces of people coming and going from the hotel. A real personalized experience for all to be had here!

Being a foody, I am hard to please. The lobster pasta alfredo is AWESOME and if you have never tried it, you have to taste the Chilaquiles with eggs for breakfast (fried tortillas mixed with salsa, cheese and cream).

Make sure you also check out the frothy margaritas! Can't wait to return in September.

Room Tip: Pay a slightly higher rate and ask for room 3 or 4....you'll be thankful for the comfy deck chai...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank android114
I'm honored that you chose my hotel for such an important event . It was wonderful being able to share your birthday with you. Since you have traveled the world and stayed in so many beautiful places, that you regard my hotel so highly just means that much more. It's always a pleasure to see your beautiful smiling face on my patio. I can't wait to see you both again. I'll be counting down the days. Big hugs to you both.
Moose Jaw, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely amazing. Great views with very friendly staff. The rooms are quite spacious and have a great view of the beach. Would highly recommend this hotel over any other in the area, the staff were very helpful and always made sure we were looked after. No matter how long your stay, this is the hotel for you.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Alldayal97
Wow!!!! Don't think I've ever been compared to a hilton before. Thank you so much. What a great compliment. We strive to give our customers the best possible. Thank you for appreciating our efforts and taking the time to write such great things about us. I hope to see you again very soon.
All my best,
Cape Cod
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed 2 nights at El Caballo Blanco and it couldn't have been better. We've stayed in many places in Mahahual/Costa Maya and we feel this place is tops on our list. Clean, fresh, modern and the shower is to die for! No gravity fed water system here. When you want water pressure, you got it! The location along the malecon is nice, also. The beach is clean and beautiful. The water is calm. The lounge chairs are comfy. We will be back, Tina....thanks so much!!

Room Tip: Pay a few bucks more and ask for a "front" room.....if available.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple