“Excellent Visit to Mahahual, Mexico...Hotel Caballo Blanco GREAT!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mahahual
Hotel El Caballo Blanco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mahahual
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Excellent Visit to Mahahual, Mexico...Hotel Caballo Blanco GREAT!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Recently my wife and I spent the 4th of July weekend in Mahahual, Mexico and had the pleasure of staying at Hotel El Caballo Blanco. The hotel is located right on the beach and the rooms are very comfortable with soft beds and nice linens. Our balcony view was amazing and the hotel has a covered rooftop terrace with Jacuzzi. The rooftop common area allowed us the opportunity to enjoy a nice evening outside of the room but yet comfortable at the hotel without having to go out. We had the comfort of purchasing our own drinks and ordered food delivered right to us on the rooftop....what could be better! Also, the hotel had great working Internet Wifi THROUGHOUT the hotel not only in the lobby. On the rooftop there were many electrical outlets for us to keep our cell phones and tablets charged the entire weekend. The hotel has a restaurant and we had breakfast the last day before we left and it was great. We had the hungry mans breakfast and chilliquilles (A traditional Mexican breakfast dish) My breakfast was great with giant pancakes and fresh eggs and toasted bread. My wife absolutely loved the chilliquilles. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner Tina who was lovely and very helpful in giving us some local tips and places to visit and see. The hotel offers the restaurant service between 9-6pmish and they stock cold beer and soda for purchase as well. However, the rooms do have refrigerators if you choose to bring your own beverages......that is great as so many hotels do not offer this in Mahahual in an attempt to make you purchase their beverages. One tip-bring plenty of cash prior to arrival as there is only one ATM on the entire malecon in Mahahual and most times it is empty!! Another great thing about the hotel is they have beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach for their guests and offer bar/restaurant service all day on the beach. I also had a massage while I was there as the hotel has a woman on site on the beach for the guests. For 300 pesos ($25 USD) I received an hour long massage on the beach...it was awesome!

My wife and I will back to visit Mahahual and no doubt be staying at the Hotel El Caballo Blanco.

Room Tip: Ask for Room #6 on the 3rd floor facing the beach and amazing view and breeze all day Also it is a f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ironmike4117
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was such a pleasure having you stay with us. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay and our restaurant. We enjoyed having you. It's great to know our efforts are appreciated. We hope to see you all back very soon. Your not too far away. Thank you again.
Tina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My partner and I spent 2 nights here in May 2014. Bathroom looks newly renovated but it's tiny. Hard surfaces of room were clean, but linens and furniture less so. We had to remove our black bed covers and keep them off for the stay because they just weren't clean and fresh. They didn't smell, they just looked worn and had a lot of lintish specks. The futon in our room had sand on it. We didn't say anything because were only there for 2 nights and it was fine to just store the bedcovers on the futon. We asked them to change the sheets for us and keep the bed covers off and when they did that, the sheets were nice and clean.

Towels had stains on them but again, we asked for new fresh towels and they complied. The lady staffing the reception desk was accommodating, but doesn't necessarily volunteer info. E.g., we didn't know there was a terrace on the roof open to everyone until we saw people up there and asked about it. That should be something that is told to guests on arrival.

They do have lounge chairs right on the beach and they give you beach towels, so that is great. Again, something we stumbled upon.

You have to leave your key if you want your room cleaned.

The balcony for rooms 6 and 7 are small, only wide enough to acommodate chairs, but not lounge chairs. The rooms below (presumably 3 and 4) have huge terraces.

The room has air conditioning but we didn't need it with the fan on and the windows open. The sea breezes were delicious and refreshing.

The value is decent for a beachfront hotel at Mahahual, but if you're willing to stay a bit farther from town, you can save 30% or more.

So in short, I'm not sure whether I'd stay there again or not, but thought this review might be helpful for others to decide. I would say this is more like a house divided into rooms rather than a hotel. For a short stay, it's adequate.

Room Tip: Rooms with the big terraces are better although the rooms above look down on your terrace.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Style_Buff
reenibohini, Owner at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us your opinion. My favorite part of your review is you stating it's more like a home than a hotel. 99% of my customers come because of that and enjoy it. We have no big chain hotels here as of yet , but I'm sure they're coming. I prefer to stay "homey" it's worked so far. " Lintish " specks on your bedspread of course is possible. I assure you all rooms are stripped and cleaned weather you stay with us one night or ten. At check in I tell my clients about the extra key, pharmacy, restaurant, beach and pool. I will from now on add beach towels are available.thank you for that suggestion. There is always someone at the front offering towels for the beach when our clients walk out. Our hotel has been in service for 5 years. We have not redone our bathrooms, although it's nice you thought they were new. Most of our clients love that we have 6 to 800 count sheets and for most that is a little luxurious here in the Caribbean . We are a small, beach front, seven room hotel, in a little fishing village in the Caribbean . I try to give my clients the best things available . Thank you again, Tina
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This quaint, quiet and VERY clean hotel felt just like home, set in the middle of the incredible beauty of Mahahual and its turquoise and teal blue waters... While being personally taken care of by the hotel´s owner, Tina, who knows what great service means!!, we were able to forget about the cares of the world, work and life in general. We highly recommend checking-in at EL CABALLO BLANCO and spending your afternoons gazing off at the calming Caribbean Sea from their amazing balcony. Top of the line, air-conditioned, Sky tv (just in case), internet, great water pressure, delicious food (try the Chilaquiles Rojas for breakfast). You´ll definitely not want to leave!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StaceyWerner
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. It was such a pleasure having you both stay with us. We were sorry to see you leave. Good thing is your not too far away. We hope to see you both back very soon. Chilaquiles are waiting!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here last year and I couldn't wait to return. We stayed in the Luxury Suite. The price is very reasonable, very well decorated, very clean and comfortable. It has a large terrace with 2 wonderful lounge chairs and table on the 2nd floor. Their is a walking street (?) with restaurants, shops, etc, right below and across is the beach. They also have a small restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner with Award Winning Lion Fish. Tina who is the owner is originally from CA and is very helpful and fun loving. I can not wait to return.

Room Tip: The Luxury Suite is the best as you have your own outside lounging area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy B
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review for us. It was a pleasure having you stay here with us. Wow!!! The best... Thank you! I hope you come back and see us very soon.
Elyria, Ohio
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I have been traveling to the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan for 20 years. we have found favorite places that we return to. This will be one of them. The location in Mahahual is perfect. The pictures on the web site do not do the view justice. We had a room with terrace over looking the sea. The in room coffee maker and small fridge were great. We are early risers,even on vacation and it was great to have our coffee and watch the sunrise. The shower was the best I have experienced in Mexico,lots of hot water and great water pressure. We even extended our stay an extra day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for the great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Our rooms are equipped with individual hot water heaters that heat on demand, so you never run out of hot water. I'm so glad you enjoyed it all. We hope to see you back very soon. It was a pleasure serving you.
All my best,
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at Hotel El Caballo Blanco a few times in the past couple of years and just keep going back. The atmosphere is totally laid back and you are made to feel like it is your home in Mahahual. Tina and her staff could not possibly make our stay any better. They know everything and can provide you with recommendations on anything you would like to do in the area. For us it is eating, drinking and scuba diving. The scuba diving is totally amazing. The reefs are beautiful and very healthy.

The hotel is small with very comfortable and spotlessly clean rooms and common areas. There are lots of stores and restaurants all around the hotel and Pro Divers is literally one big step away from their front porch.

I don't even know where to start with the food. If you want anything all you have to do is ask in advance and they will do their best to find and cook it for you, although you will probably find their regular menu more than satisfying.

The atmosphere in Mahahual is small town Mexico and everyone knows each other so there is a lot of incentive to provide good and honest services. As mentioned, Tina knows just about everyone and always provides very good advice.

If available choose one of the rooms in the front facing the ocean with the large balconies. They are worth every peso. Although probably not advisable, we never felt the need to even bother with using the safe.

We will definitely be back in the near future for another visit to a true Mexican paradise.

Room Tip: Choose one of the premium rooms with the large balconies. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luv2travel9999
reenibohini, Public Relations Manager at Hotel El Caballo Blanco, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us this wonderful review! It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest!
We greatly appreciate it and hope to see you soon.

Marie Sanchez
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've stayed at many of the hotels in Mahuhaul and there are quite a few "good" hotels that I was very satisfied with during my prior trips but Caballo Blanco is a notch above the rest for a variety of reasons. First, the location and views are simply breathtaking, just picture that idealistic Caribbean ocean view you might see in a Carona commercial and you will start to understand just how special this place is. From the moment I arrived I felt like I was visiting friends - kind of a cheesy cliche I know but I can't describe it any other way! By the time you leave the entire staff will know your name, have treated you like family, and have made it very hard to leave (believe me, I ended up extending my trip a few days because I couldn't bring myself to leave!). Tina, the owner, and her family run the hotel and I couldn't have asked for a better host. The rooms are great, comfortable beds, sky TV, internet access, etc. All that you would expect in a great hotel. Try the lobster tacos, incredible and you won't be disappointed. Finally, I'm writing this review with mixed emotions....The selfish side of me would like to keep this gem to myself;). Bottom line, if your thinking about a trip to Mahuhaul or anywhere in the southern yucatan this is the hotel for you. You will not be disappointed!

I arrived as a guest but left having gained new friends vowing to return as soon as humanly possible. After saying our goodbyes as I was leaving and exchanging hugs with Tina and staff (which speaks volumes) I began my trip back home....a sad trip home. The next time I'm traveling for work and staying at one of the big national chains I'm going to give the front desk person a hug when I check out....just kidding but you get the point. I'll post a bunch of pictured that I took during my stay. Words can't possibly express how much I enjoyed my stay ! Thank you Tina, looking forward to my next visit!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but in my opinion spending the few extra dollars form the rooms facing the o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John S
Wow! The best!!!! Coming from you that's something! I believe you have stayed in every hotel in Mahahual. It was such a pleasure having you here with us. I was so sad to see you leave. Next time I'll have to hide your keys. Thank you for writing such a beautiful review for us, and posting such great pictures. It means a lot to me. If your in that big chain hotel and they won't give you a hug, remember there's plenty of hugs waiting for you here. Come back soon, we will always have room for you here.
Bigggg hugggggs!!!!