“Awsume pool side bar”

Ranked #52 of 83 Restaurants in Mahahual
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Ok so I did not eat or drink here but we did hang out at the huge pool. It was really clean nice and refreshing on a hot day. There was a bar and bar stools u can swim up to and sit down and drink while still being in the pool. We did take a couple picture and the guy was really nice and it only took a couple mins.

1  Thank Jaime S

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Cruising is a great way to see the world. But one of the few bad things about cruising is the prices, particularly for alcoholic beverages. They can really add to the cost of a cruise and this is why it is so common to see cruise vacationers exiting the ships in droves at each port, seeking out inexpensive libations before resuming the trip.

The desire for a drink is what led me to visit Senor Frogs in Costa Maya, Mexico. Approaching the establishment, it seemed like a cool place. The theme, the swim up bar, and the music all make it look inviting. We walked in, sat down, and took a look at the menu. Our jaws dropped when we saw the prices for beer and mixed drinks. The costs were almost as bad as those on the cruise ship, and the selections were not very good. The food was pricey as well, and we started to doubt whether stopping here was a wise decision.

Since we were already there, we went ahead and ordered some drinks and a snack anyway. We were happy to discover that Senor Frogs accepts credit cards because that meant we could conserve cash. But we did not like some of the things that happened as we sat at the table. At one point, a pair of women with bottles of mixed drink put hats on my wife and I, then proceeded to pour shots down our throats. It all seemed fun and festive, until we were told at the end that we had to pay $7 each! What kind of service is this? We were not warned there would be any charges. They just placed the hats on our heads and started pouring booze. We were not happy. What they served was in no way worth the money.

Senor Frogs Costa Maya does offer some respite from a hot day and there are some decent drinks to be found here. The swim up bar looks inviting as well. But the prices, aggressive selling, and other factors lead me to lower my rating to 2 stars and give this establishment a non- recommendation. An excursion away from the cruise ship is supposed to be relaxing and economical, but Senor Frogs is neither. Avoid it and look elsewhere.

1  Thank Great_Beer_Now
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Had high expectations based on TripAdvisor...horribly disappointing. Food was not prepared here, but at neighboring "nice" restaurant. Food was below expectations, poorly prepared, poorly presented. Service was non-existent and nonchalant attitude from waiter. I ordered loster tacos....it didn't taste like lobster nor look like lobster. DO NOT GO HERE!!!

1  Thank wolfmand1
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Went her only because we have been to other Senior Frogs and enjoyed it. The food was OVER triple the regular cost (prices go up when the cruise ships come in) and my daughter got sick off the chicken tacos. Lunch for one adult and two teenage girls $120 american!!

2  Thank sarbecca
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We waited over 25 min for a waiter, finally we stopped one and asked for a beer (cheapest thing on the menu - not that were cheap but Im not about to spend $20 on a mixed drink). After our 1 drink we finally got our check. We put our card in the book, when the waiter came back he took the card out and only had the receipts in there. We didnt notice it because he had put a bunch of receipts in there which distracted or threw us off. About 20 min later we went to buy something at a shop and we realized what happened. When I went back and approached the guy you could tell by the look on his face that he was caught. He tried to play it off at first like he didnt know what I was talking about and when I told him to show me his book he had it stashed away tucked inside the flap. Oh and by the way the 'free' nachos were disgusting! 10 chips with watered down nacho cheese and runny beans. I will never visit another Senior Frogs again because of this, I dont care where it is!

4  Thank 974CindyS974