“Fun little shack on the beach”
Review of Chiquita

Chiquita
Ranked #18 of 79 Restaurants in Mahahual
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Fernando and his family run a great beach bar... The best margarita and piña colada. Really good guacamole and lobster tacos

1  Thank boxerloverx3

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent four days in Mahahual and ate almost all of our meals with Fernando and Hilda at their little beachside palapa restaurant. Fernando goes out in his boat and catches it and his wife Hilda prepares it that day. Best fresh seafood in Mahahual hands down!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I took the bus over to Mahahual's Malecon beach walk area, and just happened upon this place. We were intending just to stop in for a quick drink...not even an alcoholic one, just some water.

We ended up sitting at the bar top for just a moment, and we met Fernando, the owner. He was talking to another couple seated next to us about his food, how he gets his vegetables from a local Amish community about an hour away, and how he and his family catch their own seafood from the ocean right out in front of the place. How he is retired at a young age because he built the bar, built his house, pays nothing for the freshest seafood, and only has to pay a small amount to "rent" the beach area from the government.

The conversation continued about how he cooks those wonderful fresh catches, and he even showed us a lobster he had recently caught. We talked with him about some other foods we like to eat from the Yucatan area of Mexico, and he told us about the way he cooks those traditional dishes with his own variation and using seafood instead of chicken/pork/beef/etc.

At this point, we were basically hooked on trying the food.

Now, we had just come from eating a tamale each from the street vendor that drives a bicycle powered cart. We told Fernando that straight away. He said don't worry, I can make you a small sampler platter for two people so that you can try my food, and I know you just ate. And it will be very reasonably priced also. He said that what he was making us was not on the menu, and would include traditional offerings like we had just spoken of. Sounded great to us, and impossible not to take him up on it. So we did.

Out of the woodworks came about 4 other people/employees/family members that we had not seen prior to this. They all went back into the kitchen, and started working on our food. Fernando stayed out front talking with us while the wonderful smells started drifting up to us.

45 minutes later, our food arrived. This is where the questionable part starts. After telling him that we had just eaten, and clearly stating that it would be a small sampler platter for two, out comes the hugest plate of food I have ever seen in my life. It was more than the two of us could have eaten at our hungriest moment.

A whole lobster, Grouper cooked in the style of cochinita pibil, conch, another white fish that I never identified, Red Snapper, Nachos, French Fries, Guacamole, Habanero Salsa, Tortillas, Chips, and sautéed Plantains. It was a huge feast. And it was incredibly, fantastically, and wonderfully sabroso - great food, all of it.

Of course, we couldn't even finish half of it. When we had to get going, we told Fernando we were ready for the bill and that we were finished. He asked if we were sure we were done, because they were going to take it in the back and eat it. Again, no issues here, I am very glad that the food didn't go to waste.

But then the bill came. That plate of food was $70 US dollars.

I take ownership of that fact that I did not clearly clarify the price before I placed the order. But with that being said...

I do feel like I was taken advantage of. Even Fernando himself stated that it would be small and reasonably priced, and neither of those things happened. In US prices, that was absolutely a $70 plate of food, and it was worth every dime...but the deception of the size of it from the beginning is where I take issue.

Also, I can't help but think...was it made that large so that there would be extra for the staff to eat on my dime? After taking the plate away, I've never seen 4 happier people eating it up, and even Fernando was eating some as he was writing my check.

I can't say for sure if it was malicious or not, but I certainly left there thinking that it was. All in all though, it was a great experience before the bill came, and the food was top notch. Don't let this keep you from going there, in fact I recommend it, just be acutely aware of what you are ordering before you order it, since "small" and "reasonable" have different meanings around here!

2  Thank adamthepianoman
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We went in family to eat at this nice small restaurant on the beach and we have been really nicely welcomed by Fernando and his family there. We tried shrimps al coco which I strongly recomend and lobster wich was delicious. But take the nachos to start with your margarita, there are huge !!! Thank you again and hope to come back very soon in Mahahual to try you other specialties...

1  Thank Ricky B
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We got off of our cruise and got on the bus for $3 per person to take us over to the beach area. We walked around for a while, and everyone tries to stop you to sell you something or show you a menu. The offers ran from necklaces to cocaine, both of which we turned down. I picked Chiquita based on the table available surrounded by palm trees. It was right on the beach and they had a clean bathroom. They sell buckets of 10 beers for $10 and have reasonably priced cocktails. All of this is great, but the food, the food was wonderful! My husband had the whole fish that was one of the best things either of us had ever eaten. They brought with it a bowl filled with dozens of warm corn tortillas. It was easily enough to feed two people, and it was only $14! We also got an order of shrimp tacos, they were the small cocktail shrimp, but were seasoned really well and were delicious! A plate of three with a side of rice and plantains was $9. The service was very friendly, but not overbearing. People will continue to come to your table and try to sell you things, but aren't pushy. I will definitely be going back to Chiquita's next time we have a cruise stop in Costa Maya.

1  Thank Elizabeth B