Blue Kay Mahahual
Ko'ox El Hotelito Beach Hotel(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$67
Posada Pachamama(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
US$43
US$39
  • Beachfront
US$97
Koox Matan Ka'an Hotel(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$71
Porto Coral(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$47
US$84
US$82
Margarita del Sol(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$61
Hotels.com
Luna de Plata . Hotel(Mahahual)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$61
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewscabana styledelicious drinkslocation is beautifulhot waterprivate bathroomgreat beachnice spotcruise portbeach frontcosta mayashort walkin towntaxi ridesea viewpalm treesfishcabin
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We reserved our cabanas thru booking.com
We arrived at the hotel and apparently our place was already occupied, but they managed to find a place for us. Cabanas are beachfront. Try to get the first row. Our bed came with a water mattress: an experience I'll never want to do again. The night was very tropical humid and quite cold: the water inside got us literally freezed for 6 hours, a nightmare.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D1fretta
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay and we are really very sorry about your opinion and inconvenience with the water bed.

We work hard to offer our guests the best services, so we hope to give you the best in the future too.

Thanks again for chosen us and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards!!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Pro's: great value for money, best beach, close to the village (but not in the vilage) close to great diving shop. good bar.
con's no private shower, they've used very sticky epoxy paint....
to debate upon: unbalanced waterbeds in the cabins, interesting choice.

the atmosphere was great, would definately recommend if you dont mind spartan

Room Tip: take the back cabins, more value for money.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay and we are happy to know that you enjoyed the "pro" issues of your comment. We are taking into account all the details that you found wrong or not convenience in the cabins, so we will be working on them to improve our daily work.

Thanks again for chosen us and we look forward to welcome you again very soon!
Best regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have read the positive reviews for Blue Bay. My experience was far from enjoyable at this property. Perhaps I did not have the same quality of bungalow that the other reviewers describe. My accommodations were less then what I would expect in a hostel, and priced at much more.

Upon arrival, the receptionist insisted that I must have a printout of my confirmation number. Since I had not been sent an email from Kooz, I could not locate my confirmation. She stated that I did have a reservation, but the printout was vital. This has not been required at other Kooz hotels.Check in took quite a bit of time.

I was shown to a spartan, tiny cabin with torn screens, no fan, and aged sheets that had seen many guests. It was incredibly depressing. I had booked the room because nothing else was available in Mahaual on my chosen weekend. Having stayed many times at the Kooz 57 in Merida, I thought that the quality might be acceptable at Blue Bay even though it is not a four star accommodation. I was very wrong.

My bunk beds had seen many travelers;the mattress was covered by a thin, worn sheet. There was no mattress cover. The mosquito net was available on the top bunk, but it was torn. There were no other adornments in the room. The" shared bathroom" was a huge, dark palapa with no hot water. Soap was in a dispenser in the showers;shampoo and body cream were not supplied. Towels are issued on a "deposit and ID" basis. Although I was confirmed for a "second row from the beach", I was given a tiny "closet" next to the laundry.

I had dinner at the affiliated restaurant. My "lobster" burrito was expensive, and contained 90% rice. If there was any lobster in the burrito, it was well hidden. A shrimp dish was excellent.

I spoke with the manager about my dissatisfaction with my bungalow, and he did offer to procure another room for me at a sister hotel However, the price for the replacement room was much more then I wished to pay...about 3 times as much. Since I had waited until 3PM to hear of a possible vacancy, the manager charged me for two nights and two breakfasts. I stayed one night, and consumed one breakfast. I gladly bit the bullet, and left Mahahual.

I live in mexico, and I travel throughout the country. I expect to get what I pay for, and I am frequently pleasantly surprised by the value for the price. The Blue Bay was a huge disappointment, and certainly led to my decision to continue my vacation elsewhere.

When I left the Blue Bay, I drove to Xcalak and was fortunate to find a room at Tierra Maya. The hotel and location were incredible, and made the long drive from Puerto Aventuras very worthwhile. I believe that Blue Bay and Kooz hotels need to take a careful look at the quality of their accommodation in Mahaual. I expected so much more from a Kooz property.

Room Tip: The other bungalows may be better, but the the claustrophobic closets that are "shared bath" are dreadful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank womantraveler59
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and we are really very sorry for your dissapointment of Ko'ox Blue Bay.
We were investigating all what are you saying and we will continue do it, to improve our work of every day.

We look forward to welcome you in other Ko'ox Hotel in Mexico.

Best regards,

Ko'ox Hotels Team

Reviewed 18 December 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned, this resort is one one of the best locations in town as it is just a few metres away the beach and away from the 'central' part of town where the restaurants and bars are located. We stayed here for 4 nights and found staff to be friendly and helpful. We had booked a cabin with a bunk bed but they gave us one with a double bed, which was nice. However, I still don't understand why anyone would fit the cabins with waterbeds instead of just using a regular mattress. They're not the most comfortable thing in the world!

On arrival, we found that the cabin had not been swept and the floor was littered with sand, which makes me think that they didn't really clean after the last guest left. Considering the beachfront location of the cabins, they should be swept every day, as the sand gets everywhere and becomes very annoying. Someone had thrown noodles in the shared bathroom sink, and in the sink they stayed for the 4 days we were there. All surfaces were very sticky too for some reason. Plastic bags, clothes, and pretty much everything kept getting stuck to the walls and shelves. The door kept jamming too and part of the inner frame had come off and not been fixed.

It was nice to have a chair on the porch, but be aware that when it rains the porch kind of floods and becomes unusable. This could also be easily fixed by paying more attention to the construction of the roof.

WiFi connection is only available in the lobby by reception and not in the cabins. This would not be so bad if it wasn't because guests (and even the owners) choose the area to indulge in their chain smoking sessions. Very unpleasant and probably against non-smoking laws too. There should be no need to ask people not to smoke in a public area.

It got cold during the last night we were there and when I went to reception to get an extra blanket the first thing I was asked is whether I had left my ID with them. I was most definitely NOT going to steal a heavy blanket and carry it with me during a 4-month trip around hot and sticky Central America.

All in all, a nice place to stay with decent rates if you book online, but I would expect more for the price they charge.

Room Tip: Apparently they also have a dormitory with beds starting at 150 pesos, although they don't advertise it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Blue Bay park for one night while on my bike trip. The cabins were simple but I thought they were great! Only two complaints about my stay was the waterbed (not sure if they're in every cabin)? And the fact that the cabins had no Internet. The staff were friendly and some spoke English well. The price was right (300 pesos) but I was there in the off season so not sure if its always this price? The cabins closer to the beach are 500 pesos I think. Overall a very nice place with a great beach. I would come back for sure.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Hello!!

Thanks a lot for your review of your stay in Koox Blue Bay :). We are very happy to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
We will take into account the issue of the water and internet and we are looking forward to welcome you very soon again!

Best regards!!