“Great beach front location ”
Review of Blue Kay Mahahual

and 1 more site!
Blue Kay Mahahual
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I loved it here. We stayed in a cabaña on the back row which was basic and a little bit of a squeeze for two people but for two nights we didn't need anything else. The cabañas each have a porch area with a table and chairs which is perfect for relaxing. The rooms have mosquito nets on the windows and between the walls and the ceiling as well as a mosquito net over the bed. We had a water bed in our cabaña which was interesting! We assumed this was in case the roof ever leaked so that no mattress would get ruined. Still, once you get used to it the bed was pretty comfortable and the linen was very clean.

The toilets and showers are shared with other guests but are always kept vey clean. All showers have hot water although you'll probably want a cold one after being on the beach all day.

The location is great and is set on the best bit of beach in the area. Sun loungers are free for guests to use and the on-site bar/ restaurant serves up reasonably priced food and drinks throughout the day.

Would definitely recommend if you're looking for a relaxing few days on the beach.

Go for dinner at the Crazy Lobster if you can - great, authentic Mexican cuisine and very reasonably priced.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte H
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Charlotte,

Thanks a lot for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay Cabañas. We really appreciate your comment and we are very happy to know that you enjoy our facilities and services.
Yes, you are right...it is very interesting the water bed.. :) Some of our guest don't like the idea, but really it is a different bed in a different and beautiful place :)

Thanks again for chosen us and we really look forward to welcome you again very soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is a really nice spot. The accommodations are almost like camping with a walk to the bathrooms and showers. If you are an all inclusive, Club Med kind of person this is not for you but if you are a not a princess and are fun loving and sun loving you will love this place. The bar is good and the beach was nice too. A short walk to the bars and restaurants. The town gets a lot busier when the cruise ships are in port.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KerryVDZ

Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay Bungalows. We really appreciate your words and we are very happy to know that you enjoyed your days in our facilities and beach club.

We want to thank you for chosen us and we look forward to welcome you again very soon!

Best regards!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

So we were staying for 2 nights at Blue Bay. We had a cabin in the second row and later for the budget price on the 3th row.
We got the tip from Arthur in Tulum. Because we were looking for a budget paradise. When we arrived it was paradise. The weather was great. A cabin with a bunkbed. Because i was traveling with my cousin. The bathroom are really clean and there was a bar around. The people from cleaning and reception were very helpfull when i lost some stuff that we found back. We met a few interesting people specially the barman Pope. He gived us very usefull tips (specially for Bacalar Laguna). So that was great only the weather was 2 days pretty bad so we decided to move on and the wifi is not the best. But for the last one (come on you are traveling and in Paradise)

One tip for the budget travelers. Bring some food for breakfast and pocketknife to safe money for first day. No Breakfast including and no kitchen.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay and we are very happy to know that you enjoyed your days with us and our services and facilities.

Thanks again for chosen us and we look forward to welcome you again very soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We reserved our cabanas thru booking.com
We arrived at the hotel and apparently our place was already occupied, but they managed to find a place for us. Cabanas are beachfront. Try to get the first row. Our bed came with a water mattress: an experience I'll never want to do again. The night was very tropical humid and quite cold: the water inside got us literally freezed for 6 hours, a nightmare.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D1fretta

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay and we are really very sorry about your opinion and inconvenience with the water bed.

We work hard to offer our guests the best services, so we hope to give you the best in the future too.

Thanks again for chosen us and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Pro's: great value for money, best beach, close to the village (but not in the vilage) close to great diving shop. good bar.
con's no private shower, they've used very sticky epoxy paint....
to debate upon: unbalanced waterbeds in the cabins, interesting choice.

the atmosphere was great, would definately recommend if you dont mind spartan

Room Tip: take the back cabins, more value for money.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your review of your stay at Ko'ox Blue Bay and we are happy to know that you enjoyed the "pro" issues of your comment. We are taking into account all the details that you found wrong or not convenience in the cabins, so we will be working on them to improve our daily work.

Thanks again for chosen us and we look forward to welcome you again very soon!
Best regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have read the positive reviews for Blue Bay. My experience was far from enjoyable at this property. Perhaps I did not have the same quality of bungalow that the other reviewers describe. My accommodations were less then what I would expect in a hostel, and priced at much more.

Upon arrival, the receptionist insisted that I must have a printout of my confirmation number. Since I had not been sent an email from Kooz, I could not locate my confirmation. She stated that I did have a reservation, but the printout was vital. This has not been required at other Kooz hotels.Check in took quite a bit of time.

I was shown to a spartan, tiny cabin with torn screens, no fan, and aged sheets that had seen many guests. It was incredibly depressing. I had booked the room because nothing else was available in Mahaual on my chosen weekend. Having stayed many times at the Kooz 57 in Merida, I thought that the quality might be acceptable at Blue Bay even though it is not a four star accommodation. I was very wrong.

My bunk beds had seen many travelers;the mattress was covered by a thin, worn sheet. There was no mattress cover. The mosquito net was available on the top bunk, but it was torn. There were no other adornments in the room. The" shared bathroom" was a huge, dark palapa with no hot water. Soap was in a dispenser in the showers;shampoo and body cream were not supplied. Towels are issued on a "deposit and ID" basis. Although I was confirmed for a "second row from the beach", I was given a tiny "closet" next to the laundry.

I had dinner at the affiliated restaurant. My "lobster" burrito was expensive, and contained 90% rice. If there was any lobster in the burrito, it was well hidden. A shrimp dish was excellent.

I spoke with the manager about my dissatisfaction with my bungalow, and he did offer to procure another room for me at a sister hotel However, the price for the replacement room was much more then I wished to pay...about 3 times as much. Since I had waited until 3PM to hear of a possible vacancy, the manager charged me for two nights and two breakfasts. I stayed one night, and consumed one breakfast. I gladly bit the bullet, and left Mahahual.

I live in mexico, and I travel throughout the country. I expect to get what I pay for, and I am frequently pleasantly surprised by the value for the price. The Blue Bay was a huge disappointment, and certainly led to my decision to continue my vacation elsewhere.

When I left the Blue Bay, I drove to Xcalak and was fortunate to find a room at Tierra Maya. The hotel and location were incredible, and made the long drive from Puerto Aventuras very worthwhile. I believe that Blue Bay and Kooz hotels need to take a careful look at the quality of their accommodation in Mahaual. I expected so much more from a Kooz property.

Room Tip: The other bungalows may be better, but the the claustrophobic closets that are "shared bath&quo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank womantraveler59
KooxHotels, E-Business Manager at Blue Kay Mahahual, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and we are really very sorry for your dissapointment of Ko'ox Blue Bay.
We were investigating all what are you saying and we will continue do it, to improve our work of every day.

We look forward to welcome you in other Ko'ox Hotel in Mexico.

Best regards,

Ko'ox Hotels Team

Reviewed 18 December 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned, this resort is one one of the best locations in town as it is just a few metres away the beach and away from the 'central' part of town where the restaurants and bars are located. We stayed here for 4 nights and found staff to be friendly and helpful. We had booked a cabin with a bunk bed but they gave us one with a double bed, which was nice. However, I still don't understand why anyone would fit the cabins with waterbeds instead of just using a regular mattress. They're not the most comfortable thing in the world!

On arrival, we found that the cabin had not been swept and the floor was littered with sand, which makes me think that they didn't really clean after the last guest left. Considering the beachfront location of the cabins, they should be swept every day, as the sand gets everywhere and becomes very annoying. Someone had thrown noodles in the shared bathroom sink, and in the sink they stayed for the 4 days we were there. All surfaces were very sticky too for some reason. Plastic bags, clothes, and pretty much everything kept getting stuck to the walls and shelves. The door kept jamming too and part of the inner frame had come off and not been fixed.

It was nice to have a chair on the porch, but be aware that when it rains the porch kind of floods and becomes unusable. This could also be easily fixed by paying more attention to the construction of the roof.

WiFi connection is only available in the lobby by reception and not in the cabins. This would not be so bad if it wasn't because guests (and even the owners) choose the area to indulge in their chain smoking sessions. Very unpleasant and probably against non-smoking laws too. There should be no need to ask people not to smoke in a public area.

It got cold during the last night we were there and when I went to reception to get an extra blanket the first thing I was asked is whether I had left my ID with them. I was most definitely NOT going to steal a heavy blanket and carry it with me during a 4-month trip around hot and sticky Central America.

All in all, a nice place to stay with decent rates if you book online, but I would expect more for the price they charge.

Room Tip: Apparently they also have a dormitory with beds starting at 150 pesos, although they don't adver...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple