We arrived near dusk after a long drive without a reservation looking for a room in Mahahual. Allan told us that there was only one room left that night, as the others were either occupied or shut down for maintenance. We said okay, and got the downstairs room, to the right of the main house (facing the ocean). After giving us the key, he said that we were welcome to change rooms the next day if we wanted to, as some more would become available.
The room was nice on first look, but we later found two trails of ants walking through and some big lone wolf ants (not a big deal for me, but my wife wasn't happy), there was no toilet paper in the room (good thing we'd brought some with us) and there was some rusty bits in the bathroom. When I got in the shower, the water pressure was not very good and I had to perform a calisthenic routine in order to get all the soap off properly. Also, the fan rotated at about 12 rpm on high speed, and even with all the windows open the air didn't circulate quite enough to keep us satisfactorily cool at night. I felt the sheets were slightly sandy. My wife said, "One really good thing about this place are the towels though"- they were very soft and comfy. With no notice, late in the evening, I can have some tolerance/understanding about some of the room issues- though lack of toilet paper, a weak fan and water pressure are things that should be there, late arrival or not; ants run on their own schedule and sand could have blown through the windows when we left them open- it's quite windy there.
Well after having a very nice cooked (included) breakfast the next morning on our way out to the dive trip, we arranged to change rooms, and then got the stand-alone cabana to the left of the main house (facing the sea). This room was much better than the first room. I think the high conical palapa roof does a lot to help circulation of air, as does being right on the beach to catch the full force of the wind. Somehow the construction allows for air to come in full force through one window, circulate throughout the room and leave full force through another window- very comfortable. No ants in this room, the fan worked just fine, water pressure was much greater, plenty of toilet paper, and comfortable, smooth sheets. Again, the towels were large, plush, and snuggly soft. Truly an excellent room.
Our complimentary breakfast the next day was better than the first day, and we stayed until noon relaxing in and around the room. Internet reached into both rooms we were in, something we hadn't yet experienced in Mexico. I wanted to take advantage of the free kayak use to go out to the reef, but didn't get around to it.
Additionally, we were really only in town looking to book a dive trip out to the Chinchorro Banks, and had talked with Dreamtime about booking a trip. He wanted $190/diver. Allan told us that DT is only a booker for that trip, and sent us to someone else who was only asking $165/diver - there are only two outfits in Mahahual with a license to go out to the Chinchorro and they don't usually go on the same day, so pretty much whoever you book with you'll go out on the same boat. So that was some good help from Allan.
Overall, I give four dots, due to the condition of the first room. If we had originally stayed in the second room, I could give a full five dots to the Balakmu. Cost value is very reasonable for the nice second room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balamku is a small ecological hotel that offers beautiful rooms all facing the Sea and directly on the beach. We guarantee privacy, tranquility and excellent service. Since we are 6 kms south of Mahahual, our hotel is never noisy or crowded. We do not work with cruise ship folks so privacy is never compromised. The newly improved beach road makes access to town easy in less than 10 minutes. Kayaks are free to explore the reef just metres from our beach for great snorkeling. Large breakfasts are included as well as taxes.Enjoy the Caribbean Sea away from the crowds and relax in our natural environment.Please join us for private YOGA here or in town. Exceptional experience! Look for our YOGA retreats on FB ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your Balamku Inn on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balamku Inn On The Beach Hotel Mahahual
- Balamku Inn On The Beach Mahahual, Mexico - Costa Maya