“Paradise Found”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2008

We stayed at the MBG for one night in March having business to attend to in Chetumal. This is an amazing property!!! We stayed in a castita right on the ocean! The castita had a small kitchen , private shower,1 king size bed and 2 twin bed in another room.It is an open concept area with windows on both sides making it open and airy. The owners are very accomodating and genuine !! Although you are quite secluded and away from the masses it is all very civilized! The place is immaculate, the service excellent and the food is divine, dont forget to bring a good book and snorkle equipment!!!! We would go back, but next time we would stay much longer!!!!! Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank vexated
There are newer reviews for Mayan Beach Garden

Reviewed 11 February 2008

Mayan Beach Garden is a lovely, secluded and cozy place to visit. My boyfriend and I stayed there for about a week in the beginning of January. We were very happy with our experience. The owners (Marcia and Kim) were great---telling us about the local attractions, taking us snorkeling out to the reef and checking in periodically to make sure that our stay was pleasant, without being at all overbearing or invasive of our privacy. It honestly feels as if you're staying with friends at their beautiful Mexican hacienda!

We loved the clear ocean water, the sound of the waves crashing while we slept, the constant sea breeze through our open windows (we wouldn't have imagined turning on the A/C, we were always perfectly comfortable), the secluded and small scale of MBG, and the blanket of stars each night from being so far away from the lights of any city. The food was fabulous and the menu was creative. It was so nice to have lunches packed for us while we ventured off to the Mayan ruins and beyond. We really liked the family-style dining (which is mostly only during dinner). The other guests were a pleasure to meet and chat with. I took a cooking class one day, which was tons of fun! I learned how to make authentic dishes while Marcia translated. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes to cook!

I should mention a few things possible deterants/cautions for travelers...MBG is incredibly secluded and it's an exhausting trip to make in one day from Cancun (especially if you're flying somewhere else in the same day). It's a better idea to split the trip up between two days each way and take your time.There are so many wonderful things to see in between, as well as possible delays on the road. We stayed just outside of Tulum our last night, which was perfect. If you're in that area, make sure to check out the cenotes just past Coba---they were absolutely amazing.

Definitely beware of the gas station attendants completely ripping you off. We really wished that we had known beforehand, because it apparently occurs constantly when filling up on gas. Make sure that you get out of the vehicle and watch them as they start the pump with all ZERO'S. These gas pumps do not automatically start at zero, so if you're not paying attention, the attendants will start pumping your gas and adding the price to the amount that previous vehicles have paid. We ended up paying $80 to fill up our Jeep.

Also, there is still tons of devastation from the hurricane, including damage to the coral reef (which is really a very short swim from the beach). The clean-up effort is going strong, though at first it can be a bit shocking, so just be prepared. There is also tons of trash on the beach, which is a regular thing, hurrican or not, and can be really depressing to see. However, they do a great job of keeping the MBG beaches very clean. Overall, it was a great experience and unlike any other Mexican vacation I've been on. If you're up for an adventure with great rewards, MBG is a great pick!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AJWBoulder_CO
Reviewed 9 February 2008

We just returned from a two week stay at the Mayan Beach Garden and loved every minute. This small resort was badly damaged by Hurricane Dean but the owners, Marcia and Kim are rebuilding with the determination and spunk of true pioneers. They lost three cabanas but the the remaining three are totally rebuilt and extremely comfortable and clean. Deluxe accomodation on a remote beach with lots of great destinations to explore. This is a true frontier a long ways from the hectic tourist trappings of many other destinations in Mexico. You are treated as their special guests. We loved the meal plan and especially enjoyed meeting other travellers at dinner. It is a wonderful social time to get together and exchange stories. We made many new friends and will always treasure the relationships formed. They would pack us a wonderful picnic lunch for our forays to the Sian Ka'an and Mayan ruins. We snorkeled almost everyday, beachcombed, explored, saw lots of wildlife, and birds. The towns of Mahahual, Xcalak, Bacalar, and Chetumal are close enough for daytrips and very interesting to visit. Beware of the local gas station where they have a million ways to overcharge you for your gas. Stay guarded and don't tell anybody your business. Keep your cash and documents close and never leave them unattended. Email yourself a copy of your passport and credit cards so if anything happens you can easily cancel everything. We hope to return and give it a hearty snorkels up!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bestyoucando
Reviewed 14 August 2007

Mayan Beach Garden was an absolute delight and joy! I arrived, (after booking my stay on-line), after dark. I was warmly welcomed! I could hear the ocean waves, smell the salt in the air and feel the warm breeze on my face. I couldn't wait until daylight to see it! I had room service in my cabana and the food was fantastic (see photo)! I picked MBG simply because it was near Mahahual and I wanted to visit there. Little did I know MBG was a sparkling jewel in the jungle on the edge of the sea! My cabana was great because of the things that it didn't have, no AC, no phone, no TV- I did not miss any of these things! I fell asleep in my comfy king size bed listening to the waves. I spent my days beach combing and relaxing by the sea. I found a new hobby, collecting sea-beans! The owners of MBG are wonderful, warm folks who are very knowledgable about the area, the plants, the birds and the ways of the Mexican people and their society. Very good dinner company in the community dining area! The food was absolutely delicious, I mean fabulous......to die for! (I was asked prior to my visit what foods I liked and didn't like) I was very pleased! Next to the dining area is their personal library that they graciously share with lots of books about everything surrounding you. The service was great, as all I had to do was to ask for what I needed. The garden part of the Mayan Beach Garden was beautiful and a joy just to walk through, palm trees with coconuts, conch shells lying around the bottom of the trees, flowers, lovely white sand - just beautiful!
Needless to say, I highly recommend Mayan Beach Garden, it was a wonderful experience I will always remember. I will visit there again, and again. If you are lucky enough to visit there, tell Marcia and Kim and their crew, Denise says "Hello"!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank Denise4
Reviewed 11 April 2007

We had a wonderful time in Mexico, staying in both Tulum and Mahahual. The reviews for the Mayan Beach Garden are very polarized (either 1 or 5 stars, little in between), and I thought I'd try to provide some more context for those wrestling with the decision of where to stay.

I truly believe MBG has a lot to offer the right person. As long as you have the right expectations, you'll have a lovely time. Here are the Pros and Cons:

PROS:
1. Great food. Yes, the meals are communal, and you can't eat whenever you want. But the food was excellent. Authentic flavors, good variety, healthy, etc. When we were there, too many dinners were chicken-centric, but there was also pasta, veggies, bread, desserts, etc. Breakfasts are great. When you pay for the meals-included plan, it's really cheap for good meals. The fresh fruit was wonderful.

2. Great snorkelling. One review said the reef is 300-400 yards away. Hogwash. You have two options: Swim 100 yards out to the reef (sounds hard but pretty easy, shallow most of the way) or walk 10 minutes up the beach to "the point". Both options put you right in prime snorkelling, with colorful coral formations, gorgeous fish, excellent visibility, etc. You can see more exotic fish the further out you go. It's not "curbside snorkelling", but pretty close. And better than anything Cancun/Playa/Tulum has to offer. More on the beach in the CON section.

3. Area Attractions. MBG is truly in the middle of nowhere (you'll realize just how much on the drive there). But there are wonderful day trips that are very worthwhile. Everyone derides Mahahual as being a tourist ghetto, but I found it quite charming, especially in the AM before the ships arrive. BACALAR (1+ hour drive) is a quaint town with a lovely Fort and a Spectacular Lake. If the idea of a Lake doesn't entice you, you have to see this one. Amazing water!! The Dzibanche & Kohlunlich Mayan Ruins (2 hours drive) are great. Chetumal is a nice city. You really have the opportunity to see the heart of Mexico in this region, both good and bad--as much of a sociological adventure as anything else, and a real treat.

CONS:
1. The beach. If you're looking for pristene beaches with postcard-perfection, this is not your place. The water is clear and the sand is white, but there is a lot of sea grass. The staff cleans the beach outside the hotel, but if you walk 30 feet away, the trash on the shore gets pretty bad. So, if you just like to sit on the beach and listen to the waves in peace, this is a perfect place--quiet, secluded, and beautiful. If you like to stroll along beaches, you won't be so happy. If you like to snorkel, just overlook the sea grass and you'll be in paradise.

2. Isolation. Most people want seclusion when they run off for a relaxing vacation. I'm no different. I'd die in Cancun, where 100 people compete for 5 feet of sand and cram the buffets. But I also like some civilization--a nearby town, shops, restaurants, etc. MBG is a 30-minute drive from anything. If that excites you, then go for it! The hotel has most creature comforts you might want (snacks, liquor, DVDs, internet, boogie boards), so you'll be fine. Just keep in mind that seclusion is relative--you're in the middle of nowhere, but other guests are right next door, and there are neighbors nearby (some with noisy dogs at night). I loved the peace and tranquility, but missed having some sort of beachside nightlife to stroll through. At night, all is very quiet. I really craved a cozy bar or a group of folks to play scrabble with into the night. If you just want peace, this is your place. If, on the other hand, you like peace during the day, then some fun at night, you'll need to bring the fun yourself.

IN A NUTSHELL:
MBG was not perfect, but we had a great time. As long as you are prepared for both the highs and lows, you'll be delighted. I think this is a great place for couples with children (kids can race around while you relax nearby), and older folks (you can lie in the shade in a hammock and read for hours). For those needing a little more excitement (nighttime strolls, restaurants, evenings at the bar with a Margarita), I'd suggest something in Mahahual proper or even Tulum. Or split up your vacation--3 days in Tulum, 3 days at MBG. That way, you get a nice variety.
The MBG owners are very nice, as are the help. It feels like a B&B on the beach--very intimate. The beach trash is a shame, but as long as you just hang out around the property, you'll be happy. Nights can be hot w/ AC. March was too warm a few nights, I bet summer is unbearable. The rooms themselves are simple but very tasteful and spacious.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
14  Thank TravelMan35
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

I read this review back in 2007 and never responded to it. I'm not sure why, but I think it is a fairly written review. Not a lot has changed in 10 years except that we have a full bar now with darts. We've added some music during dinner and people do stay up late conversing and playing games from a selection that we have but mostly darts. Other wise, the pros and cons aren't that far off even today.

Reviewed 29 January 2007

We spent 5 lovely nights at Mayan Beach Garden in the very first days of 2007. These days were the best of our 10-day stay in the Yucatan province. We loved it, we loved it, we loved it!

We are a French couple in his early fifties and we have two boys (17 and 14) who were travelling with us. You would think the boys could have becme quickly bored in such a remote place: no night club for miles around sure, not even other children their age in the hotel or in the few beach houses around the hotel at the time we stayed. Well, while the boys would have appreciated some companies, they did not complain because there was so much to do and keep them happy and excited. Parents as well. we had a really great family time.

We loved the simplicity of the bungalow, the beauty of the beach, the corral reef at your feet just a few dozens of meters from the shore and we loved our lexpeditions in the near-by Sian Khan reserve. The kids loved everything and in particular their gentle encounter with a great sting ray. They felt they had never seen a fish as beautiful and swimming so elegantly. They could go back to Mayan Beach Garden any day. They learned hundreds of things on the wild life of the Yucatan, on the Mayan culture, birds, the corral reef, fishes, sharks, sea beads, etc.. not only from looking around them during our daily expeditions to the beach, the Isna Khan and the Mayan sites but also from browsing into the numerous books that are on display in the hotel lounge.

The food was delicious: just like in a Mexican home: fresh and home-made, simple and very tasty. We loved everything, from breakfasts to dinners. We felt that the meals were carefully, neatly and gently prepared by the staff and the owners. Food variety was quite good. Staff was smiling and very courteous. And the prices were incredibly affordable

Marcia, the owner, was the treat of our stay: always available to answer all our naive questions, replace the tuba lost in the waves, gently direct our steps in our adventureous quest, and discuss our new findings. Her husband. Kim, was also very nice as well as amusing with a very good sense of humor. You feel you are in a remote place but with these two charming and neergetic persons, you also feel that you are in very good hands and that they will face any need that could arise.

No question, we will return as soon as we can.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank Veroniquemarie
Reviewed 17 January 2007

We visited Mayan Beach Garden this past summer for our honeymoon. We were looking for a place that was private, and away from the hustle and bustle of the big resorts. This is exactly what Mayan Beach Garden had to offer.

Booking the trip was easy online, and I was very comfortable and confident based on the many pictures and reviews that I had seen on the web. The driving directions were easy to follow, and I was surprised at how easy driving in Mexico was. The road was well maintained, and there was little traffic. (Make sure that your car rental quote includes insurance).

The hotel was peaceful, just as we had hoped. The beach was amazingly white, and the water warm and blue. We could walk for an hour down the beach, before we decided to turn back. There was some plastic containers on the beach, which were brought in by the tides. This was easy to overlook as there were no people on the beach. (a good trade-off in my opinion) The food was well beyond our expectations) We had packed food to nibble on during the day, all of which we brought back home. Every day we were surprised by some new and wonderful dish. Dinners were also very entertaining, as we talked with the other guests whom had arrived from many different parts of the world.

The hosts are wonderful people, and very knowledgeable about the area. They can help you plan an excursion to Mayan Ruins in the area, or take you snorkelling in the nearby reef. The ruins that we visited were not swarming with tourists, and the reef was loaded with fish and coral...simply amazing.

So if you are looking to escape, this is the perfect place.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple