“Happy at the Mayan Beach Garden”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Mayan Beach Garden is simply the finest Inn we have ever vacationed at. Marcia and Kim have created an oasis of calm in an “off the beaten track” beach location in south eastern Mexico. We truly appreciated the friendly ambiance and engaging conversations around the dinner table and of course the food and service were fantastic too. The beach and the water… amazing; if you love snorkeling this is a wonderful location with the easy access to the reef. Other water equipment at MBG include kayaks and stand up paddle boards which we thoroughly enjoyed. Our second floor beach / ocean view room was clean and quiet with a spacious balcony outfitted with two hammocks and reclining chairs, the perfect place to relax, read and enjoy the soft breeze off the ocean. Marcia even arranged for my wife and I to have a couples massage on our balcony with massage therapists from the nearby town of Mahahual, very nice.
One thing we couldn’t help notice in talking with the other guests was that many are repeat customers. There has to be something very special about a place for customers to return time and again. I know we’ll be back. Marcia and Kim make you feel at home, like family. That’s the happy vibe we took away from our stay at the Mayan Beach Garden.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

I'm so happy you took a friends advice to come and spend almost two weeks with us. That is a leap of faith that I'm glad turned out well. How did the Mexican tequila tasting go at your house? We look forward to seeing you again and hopefully we find new things to introduce you to. Have a great summer up there in Canada. I think you deserve it after last year.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Mayan Beach Garden is magical. Marcia and Kim are superb hosts, and the staff is the best. We enjoyed meeting other guests and making friends at the family style dinners, but were also accommodated one evening with a wonderful dinner in our room. Our only regret was we hadn't booked more days.

Room Tip: The ocean view upper story rooms were my preference for privacy but there's not a bad room in th...
1  Thank Doug W

I looked at the pictures you took - wonderful picture of the upper sunset deck outside your room. I also liked the picture of the sunrise with Pedro cleaning the beach early in the morning . I showed him the picture on the internet. I think that was a first for him. He just turned 19, so I told him that there will be many pictures to come. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and post the nice photos.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is such a superb location. The beach, the staff, the food...the reef!

We loved it! The room was quiet, stairs to a rooftop for star viewing and the camaraderie and conversation at the dinner table were a truly enjoyable experience.

Muchas Gracias cooking staff!!

Room Tip: No, because I want that room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

I really appreciate your comment that we have the perfect location. But it isn't perfect for everyone. Its perfect if you want to see the stars at night (all of them) and to walk the beaches alone and to have the peace and quiet that comes with all of nature knocking at your doorstop. Development is coming to Mahahual, but at this moment in time it is a very quiet stretch of beach 30 minutes from traffic and noise. Heaven! Glad you seem to agree. Hope to see you next year.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

MBG is quite simply on a par with the best hotels anywhere. The accomodations are superb, the staff is efficient and courteous, and the food (and service) are top of the line. Be careful or Marcia and Kim will become close friends for a lifetime!

Room Tip: Suggest the second floor if available, overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We just had a wonderful cooling squall come through and I ran out to experience it and I reflected on how beautiful the sea is. I know you love the same things that brought all of us here to this place. Its so lovely to be this close to nature and to see the starts at night with the naked eye. I think of you fondly and hope you can find a way to become our permanent neighbor. Until next time. . .

Reviewed 16 March 2014

As "newbies" to MBG we didn't know what to expect for our 4 night stay, but we've had good luck from Tripadvisor ratings before and that was enough for us. Marcia, Kim, and all the staff were outstanding. They went out of our way to learn our interests and do everything they could to make our stay memorable. Following their recommendations we headed north on the beach road to the tiny fishing village at Punta Herrero. Lots of wildife and endless beaches with nobody around. Another day we went south to the Mayan ruins of Kohunlich. Hardly anyone else there when we visited. Away from the tourist hordes which was exactly what we wanted.

Back at MBG we spent time in our 2nd story room on the balcony in the comfortable hammocks, reading and watching the pelicans float by in formation at very close range. It's nice to see 2 hammocks per room instead of just one that you find in most places. The extra touches in the spacious rooms were great also. Conch shell faucets and personalized tile work for example. In the main building Marcia's undersea mosaics made out of beachcombed footwear are another example of her artistic flair and talent.

Now to the food. Superb! Every dish was excellent and portions were enough to fill without overdoing it. Marcia made sure the dietary needs of one of us were looked after. Tequila night with Fernando was amazing! I learned a lot about Tequila and put that knowledge to good use later in our trip. If you go try to time your visit for Tequila night - you won't be disappointed.

The mote in God's eye is the garbage on the beaches. It's cleaned up in front of the MBG and Marcia hands out bags so guests can do their part. But it's a real shame that humans can't stop dumping their trash in the ocean. The more remote beaches are marred with windrows of plastic and other refuse. At least it's clean. Marcia said that garbage scientists come every few years to see where it all comes from, and Columbia is the main culprit. I look forward to the day when we all stop treating the earth like a dumping ground.

Our last accolade was the camraderie with the owners and the other guests especailly at mealtimes. We enjoy talking with fellow travellers and conversations were engaging and interesting. Bravo to places like MBG that deliberately set up their operation to encourage this. So much better than an impersonal hotel room.

Shuck your shoes and let the sand between your toes take over for good times at MBG.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have pelicans flying by at close range. I spent quite awhile trying to get a good ph...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick B

I loved this review - so accurate about the environment and location. I'm so glad you came our way. Its true about the plastic, it keeps coming up onto the beach. It is a never ending battle, but we'll continue the good fight, especially with help from great guests and a new international awareness. I also want to apologize for waiting until May to write a response to this wonderful review. Shame on me! Hope to see you back again next year.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We just returned from our 6th year in a row @MBG; the experience just improves each time.
Marcia and Kim are always adding new dishes to their awesome menu, Martin has mastered the margarita, and Fernando took us to new heights in tequila tasting! On Marcia's recommendation, we went diving with Dr. Dive in Mahahual and were so happy we did. The reefs are in great shape, the water is clear and everyone is so eager to make your time with them perfect. We've already made our reservation for 2015.

Room Tip: We love the beach cabanas. Starry skies, inspiring sunrises, surf crashing on the beach. Heaven.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

As always, we loved having you here. We have a special place in our hearts for some of out guests and you are way at the top. I loved snorkeling with you and taking you out to see the coral. Can't wait to do it with you again next year.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We traveled north out Mahahual around February 18th on the bumpy but beautiful beach road-still better than some of the roads in Michigan. We did not have a reservation and had heard very nice things about small, intimate boutique resort right on the beach. We lucked out-there had been a cancellation-2 bedroom looking out on the beach and great front porch with hammocks. Excellent breakfast is included and Marcia and Kim go the extra to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Marcia helped my wife call our son in Michigan. Kim gave us insight from his extensive exploration of Mayan ruins. I was directed up the beach a bit where there was some very nice snorkeling just off the beach. My wife enjoyed playing in the waves out front of our room-water was very comfortable for her-near Akumal it is too cold for her. Stars at night were spectacular. Met some very nice people from U.S., Canada and Italy. Dinners were very good and reasonable-we had "small plates" one night prepared by Marcia and I had the best Ceviche ever. If you are looking to relax and enjoy the sea I highly recemmend this gem-all that we hoped for. Blake and Kathie

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you so much for letting us know the things you enjoyed at Mayan Beach Garden. Comments like that help us to know that we are on the right track. I love your comments about the road - I know its rough, but I never get tired of driving it and looking at the stunning Caribbean during the journey. I'll pass your comments along to our staff, they will enjoy them.