“Stopped by to check this place out”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 23 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Eagan, Minnesota
“Stopped by to check this place out”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were in Bacalar in March and decided to check out this establishment. We had emailed the owners Kim/Marcia in advance as a heads up. The day we arrived was very windy. Marcia was not on site and Kim was just pulling out. Note: Cannot comment on the rooms as we were not staying there.

Found the restaurant and Marten was so very kind. We had a couple of beers, chips, salsa, beans and an order of shrimp ceviche. Took a few pics of the grounds and restaurant.

This looks like a great place. Very well maintained with beautiful gardens, ocean front and we would definitely consider staying here in the future.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Mayan Beach Garden
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
How I wished I was here to meet and greet you. I'll share this review with Martin. He doesn't get mentioned by name very often, so I like the opportunity to let him know he did well in my absence. Please stop by again when you are in the area. Thank you for the time to write a review. We don't get too many for only our restaurant and I think many people aren't aware that we are open to the public.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Elgin, Arizona
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Marcia is an unbelievable gracious host and her husband Kim is a hoot. Our balcony room was wonderful, with a great bed and just what we needed after a 14 bus ride from Chiapas and two hours in a hot collectivo.
The breeze and gentle surf- perfect for deep sleep.
Magnificent snorkeling if you know where to go. It's all close and Marcia was happy to show us and in fact one day we actually went with here. We thought Solomon Bay was great, but the reefs here were even better.
We have covered a lot of this part of a Mexico in a month. The food here is hands down the best. Certainly a bit more than you would pay in town, but really no comparison.

Why were we not converts at first? Basura. Specifically plastic trash on the beach. As soon as you leave the pristine section in front of the beach garden, you are shocked and repulsed. This is not a Mexican problem. This is a global problem and as turned off as we initially were, it helped us realize how serious the problem of plastic trash in our oceans really is. So, if you are looking for a pristine beach, where the problem is hidden, go to Cancun or Playa. If you want to enjoy a still wild part of the coastline, with abundant bird life and spectacular coral reefs, book your stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thanks for writing such a kind review. Your photo from the Balcony rooms is the best photo I've seen from that location, congratulations. I think I'll emulate you. We really enjoyed your company, friendly smiles and love of nature here at the hotel. Please come back some day so we can visit some more and go snorkeling together.
Grand Jct., Colorado
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My grown family of 5 spent a week with Marcia & Kim, who own the Mayan Beach Garden. We had a GREAT time and plan to return. They went out of their way to ensure we were doing whatever activity each of us desired and were very knowledgeable about the area. The food was great. Our rooms were large and comfortable. The beach was beautiful and deserted. Fishing was great. However, it is not Cancun. Beach is not swept clean, no TV, no golf, no nightlife other than enjoying the other guests, sea, and stars. It's a long drive there (4 1/2 hrs from Cancun airport- good road). We enjoyed all the other guests many of whom were return customers. It's a little "third world" and off the grid but that was part of the charm. Mark M, Grand Jct., CO

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PeddlePusher
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I have to tell you that after you left, someone took the same little white boat out and caught 20 Tarpon! I know it is luck, but I wanted to let you know so that you have something to look forward to next year. Pedro turns 70 this year, but I expect him to still be around next time.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have to write a good review, but I admit it pains me. This is the kind of place you want to keep quiet and reserve for yourself. This was our 3rd stay at MBG in 4 years. My husband, 2 daughters, and I immensely enjoyed every visit. Marcia and Kim are wonderful hosts. They seem to know everyone in the vast region. Almost any question you could possibly have about Mayan Beach Gardens, or the region, could be answered by searching in one place or another on their FABULOUS website. Mayan Beach Gardens is a small, quiet inn on the shore of Costa Maya near Mahahual, Mexico. It is not a spot with a nightlife or parties. It is a glorious spot to enjoy the ocean and relax. It is probably not for you if your favorite vacations are those spent at a high-end all inclusive resort. If you like a bit of adventure and being outdoors, this is a perfect find. The rooms are lovely and the beds are comfortable. The beaches in Costa Maya are not pristine. The ocean brings up the garbage dumped at sea and deposits it along the coast. Without the beach cleaning equipment and manpower of Playa and Cancun, large strips of beach have a fascinating array of garbage. This should leave everyone with a determination to try and prevent dumping of waste into the ocean and to take care of our natural areas. Mayan Beach Gardens cleans up the garbage that washes up on their property. Even the littered shores do not detract from the peaceful beauty of the coastline. It is hard not to travel here without daydreaming of owning your own plot of land on the Costa Maya. In the past we stayed in the largest cabana. This has a kitchenette and a lovely porch with hammock. Most rooms do not have AC at MBG, but since the cabanas are right on the beach with large windows, the winds cool the room down at night. The last 2 years we stayed above the restaurant in the Tonina room. It has a futon that can be used as a bed for kids. Another fabulous feature is a niche for hanging wet items with venting above and a drain below. There is beautiful mosaic tile work throughout the room and the building. I find it fantastic that each room has a broom. We track in plenty of sand during the day and it is great to be able to sweep it out more often then when housekeeping comes.
MBG has a meal plan option and you would be crazy not to choose this option. In the last 2 years we have travel to quite a few cities around the Yucatan. By far, the best food we had was at MBG. Breakfast and lunch are served to smaller groups, but supper is served family style later in the evening. People gather just after dark for drinks and to chat (Marcia makes divine pina coladas). Then dinner is served at a long table seating everyone who wishes to dine family style. You get a chance to talk with travelers from around the world and pick up great tips on activities in the area or traveling in Mexico. My daughters love this time even though they are 14 and 11. We already miss the fresh fruit and handmade tortillas. Breakfast includes coffee from the Chiapas, fresh juice, fresh fruit, and a choice of entree. Lunch and dinner are a set menu, but they work to accommodate different diet restrictions. They post their menu for the month, but it may change, it does show the types of meals served. They serve fresh chips and homemade salsa and black bean dip with lunch and dinner. The desserts are divine. The staff are helpful and friendly. Conservation of resources is important at MBG. They do not have municipal electricity along the cost in this area. They use the generator for a couple of hours per day and you can charge devices during this time. It is important to be mindful of your electrical and water usage while at MBG. They have to bring all water to their inn. Despite all of this, they provide the hottest water for showers that we have had in Mexico. The have wireless internet available throughout their gardens (again better than most of our other stays in Mexico).
SNORKELING--
Our first snorkel experience was at MBG. We have since snorkeled in Maui, Vieques Puerto Rico, Puerto Morelos, and Paamul, but MBG is still our favorite. You can snorkel in waters in front of their inn or walk down the beach 1/4 mile to some fabulous areas. The areas are easy to snorkel, shallow, seemingly endless, and a huge array of fish and corral. Although the water is fairly warm, a light wetsuit is awesome to keep you from burning. This year the water was warm and we used long sleeve rash guards. MBG rents snorkel equipment and boogie boards. Sunscreen residue is harmful to coral--try Mexitan or Badger. You can drive to a small old shipwreck for snorkeling or take a boat trip to Banco Chinchurro which is absolutely amazing.

MBG has added a Tequila tasting/information night. Fernando provides you with a wealth of information on history and how to determine a quality tequila. And oh how I love the fish tacos they serve as part of the tapas during the Tequila tasting!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 60004Kathy
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for writing such a wonderful and thorough review. I especially liked the shipwreck photos, and the one view of the wreck above water with the water spot is amazing. I've seen lots of pictures of the shipwreck, but that one is unique. We love your daughters. My one regret is that I was so busy this year that I didn't have more time to chat with them. Hopefully they will want to return again! Have a great summer.
Cape Cod
Reviewed 3 April 2014

By all means, head north from town and stay at Mayan Beach Garden. I highly advise taking them up on the "meal plan"...you won't regret it! We've been here many times in the past and will continue to visit Marcia and Kim. The rooms are the so clean, the beach is great and the snorkeling just a bit up the beach is unbelievable. Most of their guests return year after year. It's not unusual for us to meet up with people there we've met in the past. You should have a car, though as it is remote. If you enjoy walking along the beach and not seeing anyone else, then stay here. If you stay once, you will return....guaranteed!

Room Tip: All units face the Caribean and have wonderful breezes. You can't go wrong with any of them. T...
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
I'm so glad you returned to stay with us this year. We miss you here at the beach. No one walks the beaches like you do finding amazing things like sea beans, sea glass, drift wood and scary looking doll heads. You have the eye! hope to see you next year and thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Mayan Beach Garden is simply the finest Inn we have ever vacationed at. Marcia and Kim have created an oasis of calm in an “off the beaten track” beach location in south eastern Mexico. We truly appreciated the friendly ambiance and engaging conversations around the dinner table and of course the food and service were fantastic too. The beach and the water… amazing; if you love snorkeling this is a wonderful location with the easy access to the reef. Other water equipment at MBG include kayaks and stand up paddle boards which we thoroughly enjoyed. Our second floor beach / ocean view room was clean and quiet with a spacious balcony outfitted with two hammocks and reclining chairs, the perfect place to relax, read and enjoy the soft breeze off the ocean. Marcia even arranged for my wife and I to have a couples massage on our balcony with massage therapists from the nearby town of Mahahual, very nice.
One thing we couldn’t help notice in talking with the other guests was that many are repeat customers. There has to be something very special about a place for customers to return time and again. I know we’ll be back. Marcia and Kim make you feel at home, like family. That’s the happy vibe we took away from our stay at the Mayan Beach Garden.

Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
I'm so happy you took a friends advice to come and spend almost two weeks with us. That is a leap of faith that I'm glad turned out well. How did the Mexican tequila tasting go at your house? We look forward to seeing you again and hopefully we find new things to introduce you to. Have a great summer up there in Canada. I think you deserve it after last year.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Mayan Beach Garden is magical. Marcia and Kim are superb hosts, and the staff is the best. We enjoyed meeting other guests and making friends at the family style dinners, but were also accommodated one evening with a wonderful dinner in our room. Our only regret was we hadn't booked more days.

Room Tip: The ocean view upper story rooms were my preference for privacy but there's not a bad room in th...
1 Thank Doug W
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
I looked at the pictures you took - wonderful picture of the upper sunset deck outside your room. I also liked the picture of the sunrise with Pedro cleaning the beach early in the morning . I showed him the picture on the internet. I think that was a first for him. He just turned 19, so I told him that there will be many pictures to come. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and post the nice photos.