“You haven't lived until you have been to the Mayan Beach Gardens”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 23 Mahahual B&B and Inns
“You haven't lived until you have been to the Mayan Beach Gardens”
Reviewed 16 November 2009

My husband found the MBG site while browsing for some place other then a large resort to stay on the Yucatan. We took a bus from the Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen. You can purchase the ticket right at the airport and buses run every hour for about $5.usd. We spent the first night in Playa del Carmen at an inexpensive hotel. In the AM, we went back to the main bus station on quinta and traveled to Mahahual. The ADO bus was so comfortable, watching movies. We arrived in Mahahual (get off at the second stop near the ocean). We were able to take a taxi for $20. usd to MBG, which is about 30 km. From the moment we arrived, it was heaven. This is remote but right on the water. If you are looking for a very quiet spot where you can truly learn what the word “relax” means then this is your place. The cabanas are roomy, comfortable beds, bottled water, solar showers, beautiful tile work and western toilet. The grounds are nicely landscaped. The food was beyond good. The communal meals and conversation with other guests and owners Marcia and Kim, was great. After 3 days, we ventured back to Mahahual to shop and ended up renting a car so we could travel to areas suggested by Marcia. We traveled to ruins and remote beaches, snorkeling and just enjoying everything. After a week, we returned the car and took a bus back to Playa del Carmen for another 3 days before returning to the US. I have suggested MBG to many travelers and I know of one co worker who went to MBG and could not stop talking about the trip. This was the most wonderful vacation of my life. You have not lived until you have visited MBG. You will be dazzled by its charm, the Caribbean, the owners and listening to the adventures of other guests and I guarantee you will be pleased. I have already booked another trip and encourage you to be adventurous. Avoid the large resorts that cater to Americans and visit the real Mexico, you';; be glad you did.

2 Thank Acmeflower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Sherman Ct.
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My wife and I just spent a week at Mayan Beach Garden. I was here three months ago
with a friend on a fishing vacation and liked the place so much I came back with my wife.
Pros
Great beach for swimming
Short walk to snorkeling ..
Food was incredible. My wife is a Vegan and I'm not and yet every meal was individually
created to satisfy the both of us. The best meals I've had in Mexico and she thought so as
well
The owners are very knowledgeable and will direct you to the best place for the activity
you desire
Shore fishing
Rooms are immaculate, roomy and have great views. We stayed in a beachfront cabana
A short drive to enter the Siaan Kaan Reserve.
This is a five star hotel without the five star prices
The staff couldn't be nicer.
You won't regret staying at the MBG

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fish3d
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Our stay at the Mayan Beach Garden could not have been any better. Marcia and Kim treated us like family. So much so, that we took to thinking of them as our long lost Aunt and Uncle. The resort, our room, the food and the company were the highlights of our trip and hope to come back as soon as we can afford it.

Everyday there was an amazing little surprise waiting for us, from Lupe's divine concoctions in the kitchen for both me and my wife (she is a vegetarian and Lupe made every meal a meal to be cherished and remembered, something not even the best places in NY can do) to seeing the Milky Way at night to snorkeling a few hundred yards out from their beach to find one of the healthiest coral and reef formations we have ever seen.

Meal times were a family affair, which I was at first skeptical about (being a crusty New Yorker), but by day 2 of our stay, we were looking forward to it, racing home from our day-trips to make sure we could participate and eat together with everyone else.

Definitely opt for the meal plan, it's so worth it. Again, I was skeptical about not being able to choose what I wanted to eat, but I quickly realized that by doing so, it alleviated yet another decision to make...bliss.

The Mayan Beach Garden is a great, little hide-away that I would recommend to anyone wanting to get away from it all and looking to escape one's hectic, crazy modern life. It is remote enough to immediately feel relaxed, grab a book and do nothing. Yet, they have easy internet access for those who absolutely must connect to the real world.

But the real highlight of the trip is Marcia and Kim. They were amazing. Marcia was there to make sure you had everything you needed and Kim was there to regale us with his stories during dinner...think of this place as the beach house that your friend always invites you to, but you never get a chance to take advantage of. When you do, you will not be disappointed, I promise.

To all our friends at Mayan Beach Garden, Marcia, Kim, Lupe, Martin and Raphael...thank you for an amazing time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alassane S
Cape Cod
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Thank you Marcia..thank you Kim. Your wonderful, warm, welcoming accomodations on the beach are the best! We stay here every time we go back. It's the best "find" ever..on the best beach..with the best food..with the best staff!! Kick back, relax, snorkel, read, nap. Don't expect any night life! There is no such thing. This place is for relaxing...true, laid back relaxing. Go and enjoy!!

1 Thank Tisha50
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We just returned from a visit to the Mayan Beach Gardens and as usual, it did not disappoint!!

Kim & Marcia are the perfect hosts & do everything possible to make their guest's comfortable & happy.
I cannot list everything that leaves us always wanting to return, but to name a few:

As I said wonderful hosts, friendly staff, very comfy mattress, tasty meals (Gracias, Lupe), wonderful banana pancakes for breakfast, windows on each wall of the beachfront cabana or lovely upstairs room which not only allow for wonderful breezes and the sound of the ocean to put you asleep or you can just sit up & check out all the stars (& you do see millions of them) or the moon shining on the sea. Oh, did I mention the Banana pancakes, I have to mention these twice since they are so delightful.

I truly love to wake up early to the cheerful sound of the chirping birds & the gentle waves hitting the beach - grab a cup of coffee, walk back to my cabana & sit on the lanai & gaze at the sea while enjoying it. Can't ask for a better way to wake up!

Then after breakfast, a long walk on the beach or some early morning snorkling, a nap in the hammock on our large lanai is a must!
Then lunch & whatever we feel like doing. No clocks, no timetable, but they do have WiFi, if you feel the need to use the internet.

I have to mention Raphael & thank him for all he does at MBG, be it taking your luggage back & forth to your car, serving our meals, keeping up the grounds & rooms of MBG - all with a smile!

There are just many ways to just be lazy on the beach or hammock or jump in your car & check out other interests in the Costa Maya. The beach is perfect for walking, waves not too strong so you can take a dip to cool off & also some great snorkeling. As Marcia, she knows the best areas to snorkel, one of them being right in front of MBG.

We enjoy having cocktails before dinner while meeting the other guests & then great conversation during a delicious dinner with Kim at the head of the table joining in with some great stories or some good jokes.

Marcia does her best to try to provide all the comforts & conveniences, either in your room or at the main house , bottled water in the room, refrigerator in your room, being sure that any requests for your meals are attended to, i.e. allergies, dislikes,etc. We always take the meal plan because we do not want to miss dinner there, but also a nice lunch, snack & cold water will be packed in a thermal bag for us to take with us if we drive around the Costa Maya.

I have included some photos in my review, not enough room for all of them. Kim & Marcia with Bridget, Raphael with Eric (Raffy's always smiling) the Mooster (MBG greeter) & of course, the lovely beach.

In our opinion, this is one of the best places to stay in the Costa Maya!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bridymc
Cedar Crest, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We stayed here a couple of years ago, before the devastating hurricane, and returned for a week recently. There are now only 3 beach front cabanas but Marcia and Kim have added a huge front porch to each...esthetically and practically very pleasing. There are 3 other very nice units with good views, 2 upstairs in the main bldg and one across from the main bldg. The food was terrific and I definitely OD'd on the homemade salsa...gimme more! Along with a couple of other guests I participated in a tortilla making class which turned out to be SO much more than just tortillas and SO much fun. Our efforts (that which we didn't scarf down during class) provided dinner that evening....or was it lunch...We ate so much so often that I couldn't keep track.

If you want Solitude on a beautiful beach in Mexico, THIS is the place. Of our many trips and adventures, Mayan Beach Garden and it's gracious owners and staff rank right up there as one of the best travel values ever (for us). By the way, altho 5 hours from the Cancun airport, this area is too beautiful to stay unknown forever. Mexico is building an airport in Tulum and there is an international airport in Chetamal (sp?). Sooo don't wait too long! Oh yeah, I hauled home sea beans and shells...My husband is a patient soul.

3 Thank anniejet
Glendora, California
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This review is very late. We stayed here in June of 2008.

My wife and I drove down to Mayan Beach Garden from Playa Del Carmen. We had stayed in Playa for a week in a time share and wanted to get out of the touristy areas for the remainder of our trip. After a lot of research, we chose Mayan Beach Garden. Their web-site is great, by they way, even if you don't choose to go there, the website is filled with useful information. Before we arrived, it was clear that the owners, Kim and Marcia, were passionate about the area and about facilitating their guests to experience it as well.

Ok, so as we are driving down to Majahual the weather starts getting worse and worse. As the roads got more rural and the rain and wind picked up we began to wonder if we were going to make it in our little economy rent a car. We made it without any problems, but it sure was an adventure. Turns out we were driving through the first named storm of the season, Tropical Storm Arthur. I still have fun telling the story of how we drove there down a long sand road during a tropical storm.

We have been told that such storms generally blow right on by but Arthur was determined. He stuck around for at least 3 days. We were frustrated because we really wanted the sunshine and snorkeling. However, we still had a great time. Kim and Marcia bent over backwards to give us the best time possible, considering the weather.

Have you ever heard of "sea-beaning"? Marcia is quite the expert. Well basically curious and beautiful seeds from plants all over the world float into the Caribbean and land on the beach. Majahual is one of the best places in the world for this, I understand. My wife and I spent days looking for seeds on the beach during that stupid storm. Again, quite an adventure.

When the weather finally cleared out, Marcia took us snorkeling. It was great! There were large schools of tangs and large brain coral colonies. We didn't see any reef sharks, unfortunately (my wife would disagree with that adverb), but I did see the largest barracuda of any place I've been snorkeling/diving. This guy had to be pushing 6 feet! What a rush! They, of course, are harmless but they sure look menacing.

The food was amazing! I highly recommend you just pay the extra cash to get the all-inclusive meals. We ate family style, all at one table. But, I'm certain you can request to eat alone with your significant other if you wanted something more romantic. They have a nice rooftop balcony that would be very romantic. But not during a tropical storm... If Marcia has it in stock, make sure you try her tamarind margarita! SO delicious, and a great taste of Mexico. I've tried to find the tamarind margarita mix here in the States, but no one has heard of it, not even to special order it. Get it while you can!

The rooms were better than we anticipated, considering the place is off the grid. We found them to be very comfortable with 2 beds, a reasonable kitchenette, fridge and bathroom with shower. Each unit has a very large covered porch with hammocks on it. They all face the ocean and are right on the sand. Under normal weather, I'm quite certain you would have no problems with the electricity in the rooms. It gets pretty cool at night and with the screened windows and the ceiling fan, you should be quite comfortable.

As you must know, a hurricane went through and destroyed almost everything in the area in fall of 2007. I'm certain it will take a long time still to recover fully from that, but progress is being made and while it certainly wasn't a lush tropical forest while we were there, we didn't find it distracting either. We actually found it fascinating to see the effects of the hurricane.

We would absolutely recommend this place to anyone looking to experience real Yucatan. If you want a posh hotel, a sparkling pool, and a manicured beach, just go to Miami. I wish we could have stayed their longer, especially since the weather was just clearing out when we had to leave. But, I certainly hope we can go again some day.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple