“Great way to spend a day in while in Progreso”

Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Telchac Puerto
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My mom and I spent a day here as part of a cruise ship excursion with Autoprogreso during a stop in Progreso. I believe we paid $35 and this included drinks and food. I can't comment on the rooms because all I experienced was the beach and other outdoor areas. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had a great day! The water isn't the pretty turquoise blue that you will get in Cozumel, but it was a greenish color and I had no problem spending several hours in it. The ground were very clean and offered massages(for an additional price) and showers you could use before heading to the pool area where the food was served. I loved the beach bar, it looked like a shipwrecked boat! Our waiter came around several times to get our drink orders. I don't think the drinks were very strong, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them. Everyone we came in contact with was pleasant and we ouldn't mind going to back.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank h_blond2

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I actually visited this property in Oct. 2011 while on a cruise, and I only now realize that I never wrote a review about my interesting day-long experience there. I vividly remember the experience. Our cruise got caught up in bad weather (the pitfall of cruising during hurricane season). Two stops were cancelled, and in their place, we were sent to Progreso. Progreso has to be the most uninteresting port of call I've ever encountered. We knew we weren't in the Caribbean, but we foolishly decided to spend money on a beach excursion and thought all-inclusive sounded like a good idea. I think the food & drinks were probably worse than what is available on any cruise I've sailed on, including Carnival. The beach, of course no fault of the resort, was so unappealing that we felt we would have had a better time at the Jersey shore (which, we don't think too highly of). We took one step on the beach and quickly backtracked to the pool. The service around the pool & bar area was adequate. I personally can't evaluate the rooms, but the people staying at the resort seemed to be enjoying themselves. Of course, I did wonder why they went there and not to, oh, I don't know, an island or the Caribbean areas of Mexico! Maybe Hotel Reef is super cheap in comparison? I'm being very generous by giving the average 3-star rating because I don't have the full guest perspective of the resort. I have absolutely no desire to obtain that full perspective.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mdgrl79
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed from Dec 21-Dec 23 and there were maybe 40 people max in the hotel and the majority of these people were "conventioners" from a local mexican company. Our room was large, had decent beds and was clean. We lost hot water in our building on the 2nd day and the hotel decided to close down that building and move everyone rather than fix the problem which was pretty annoying. The food is average. The mexican salsas were delicious, fresh fruit from the area, nice omelette's in the morning, but some of the other items like ham or meats, we avoided. Because it is all-inclusive, they give you a wrist-band and towel tickets which seem unnecessary since there are so few people. There is no mini-fridge and they do not provide water or drinks in the room, you have to either get the 8 ounce cups from the bar or buy your own. Speaking of, all bar drinks, including beers are served in 8-ounce plastic cups. 3 days was plenty at this resort.

Room Tip: There are no elevators.
1  Thank amydgbrooklyn
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed in the Hotel Reef during the last week of December, and although it is a 30-40 drive from the beautiful city of Merida, the service received in the hotel is worth it.
The service from the waiters, cooks, bellboys is simply amazing. They work extremely hard to make your stay unforgettable.
The hotels facilities are very simple especially the furniture in the cafeteria and in the rooms but the swimming pools, the extremely well cared for beach are and amenities like a children's play area or a mini golf course make it a comfortable and fun to be in.
The food has good variety and dinners vary night to night going from delicious classic Yucatecan food to hamburgers.
I really enjoyed my stay and if possible will return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the beach, preferably on the second floor where the palm trees leaves don't...
2  Thank CaroWright
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were only there for the day for our excursion through Carnival Cruise. Miguel, our beach waiter, was awesome! He even got us fresh coconut off the property to drink. The beach and resort was beautiful and super clean. The water wasn't clear at all, but I had heard that was to be expected so I wasn’t too disappointed. The food was buffet style and just ok. I don't know if the tour guides on the bus were associated with the resort, but our guide (wish I could remember his name) had us laughing the whole way. Our guide also checked on us throughout the day and even came and got us when it was time to head back to the cruise ship!

1  Thank Candice870
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We went for the day and it was wonderful ,great drinks and food. The beach was even pretty. We are thinking about staying there for a week instead of a cruise. Just go back from a Carnival cruise and it will be my last with them....But the Reef was the best part. The people that worked at the Reef were happy you were their unlike the cruise ship.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angela t
Reviewed 27 June 2013

First, I cannot comment on the rooms just the amenities as we visited this resort as part of a shore excursion from our cruise.

It was clear that we were the only people there, I saw no other guests. So if you are staying here for your vacation be prepared to be regularly invaded by cruise ship passengers. It is also not a very big resort, we pretty much over ran the place.

The beach is OK. The water is not quite the clear Caribbean waters I would have liked and the sand is very coarse and full of sea shells so wear your flip flops. The kids enjoyed playing in the water and a kayak ride. The beach is secluded which is nice. There are only a couple of huts for shade, so if you didn't get out there first you're out of luck. There were no beach umbrellas available at all.

The pool was clean but very basic (no slides or other attractions). The staff did set up several games in the pool which everyone enjoyed. The staff was extremely attentive and the facilities were very clean.

The food however was very mediocre and the drinks were downright awful.

We had a pretty good day just playing in the water and collecting shells but the rest was pretty forgettable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Hacienda San Francisco Tzacalha
Playa Linda Hotel
Playa Linda Hotel
#3 of 14 in Progreso

Been to Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center? Share your experiences!