Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Telchac Puerto
“Ruined Vacation”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel with our family five times over the last twelve years. It has always been clean, organized and the staff friendly and professional. The food has always been above average. The most recent visit was a complete disaster. The rooms were dirty; both mornings loud music began playing between 6:30AM-7:15AM; workers were yelling in the pool area (outside our room) beginning at 6:00AM; both days groups from cruise ships filled the pool and beach areas beginning at 9:30AM (we were not informed this would happen); and lastly, my husband and brother-in-law got food poisoning from the hotel food (pork chop). We complained while we were there and I wrote a letter after returning and we still haven't received any sort of apology. The food poisoning resulted in my husband being sick the remainder of our stay in Mexico and the first couple days back in the States. We are very disappointed in the experience and lack of response. We will not be staying at Hotel Reef again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Andrea Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Malden, Missouri
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My mom and I spent a day here as part of a cruise ship excursion with Autoprogreso during a stop in Progreso. I believe we paid $35 and this included drinks and food. I can't comment on the rooms because all I experienced was the beach and other outdoor areas. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had a great day! The water isn't the pretty turquoise blue that you will get in Cozumel, but it was a greenish color and I had no problem spending several hours in it. The ground were very clean and offered massages(for an additional price) and showers you could use before heading to the pool area where the food was served. I loved the beach bar, it looked like a shipwrecked boat! Our waiter came around several times to get our drink orders. I don't think the drinks were very strong, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them. Everyone we came in contact with was pleasant and we ouldn't mind going to back.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank h_blond2
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I actually visited this property in Oct. 2011 while on a cruise, and I only now realize that I never wrote a review about my interesting day-long experience there. I vividly remember the experience. Our cruise got caught up in bad weather (the pitfall of cruising during hurricane season). Two stops were cancelled, and in their place, we were sent to Progreso. Progreso has to be the most uninteresting port of call I've ever encountered. We knew we weren't in the Caribbean, but we foolishly decided to spend money on a beach excursion and thought all-inclusive sounded like a good idea. I think the food & drinks were probably worse than what is available on any cruise I've sailed on, including Carnival. The beach, of course no fault of the resort, was so unappealing that we felt we would have had a better time at the Jersey shore (which, we don't think too highly of). We took one step on the beach and quickly backtracked to the pool. The service around the pool & bar area was adequate. I personally can't evaluate the rooms, but the people staying at the resort seemed to be enjoying themselves. Of course, I did wonder why they went there and not to, oh, I don't know, an island or the Caribbean areas of Mexico! Maybe Hotel Reef is super cheap in comparison? I'm being very generous by giving the average 3-star rating because I don't have the full guest perspective of the resort. I have absolutely no desire to obtain that full perspective.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mdgrl79
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed from Dec 21-Dec 23 and there were maybe 40 people max in the hotel and the majority of these people were "conventioners" from a local mexican company. Our room was large, had decent beds and was clean. We lost hot water in our building on the 2nd day and the hotel decided to close down that building and move everyone rather than fix the problem which was pretty annoying. The food is average. The mexican salsas were delicious, fresh fruit from the area, nice omelette's in the morning, but some of the other items like ham or meats, we avoided. Because it is all-inclusive, they give you a wrist-band and towel tickets which seem unnecessary since there are so few people. There is no mini-fridge and they do not provide water or drinks in the room, you have to either get the 8 ounce cups from the bar or buy your own. Speaking of, all bar drinks, including beers are served in 8-ounce plastic cups. 3 days was plenty at this resort.

Room Tip: There are no elevators.
1 Thank amydgbrooklyn
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed in the Hotel Reef during the last week of December, and although it is a 30-40 drive from the beautiful city of Merida, the service received in the hotel is worth it.
The service from the waiters, cooks, bellboys is simply amazing. They work extremely hard to make your stay unforgettable.
The hotels facilities are very simple especially the furniture in the cafeteria and in the rooms but the swimming pools, the extremely well cared for beach are and amenities like a children's play area or a mini golf course make it a comfortable and fun to be in.
The food has good variety and dinners vary night to night going from delicious classic Yucatecan food to hamburgers.
I really enjoyed my stay and if possible will return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the beach, preferably on the second floor where the palm trees leaves don't...
2 Thank CaroWright
Harrison, Arkansas
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were only there for the day for our excursion through Carnival Cruise. Miguel, our beach waiter, was awesome! He even got us fresh coconut off the property to drink. The beach and resort was beautiful and super clean. The water wasn't clear at all, but I had heard that was to be expected so I wasn’t too disappointed. The food was buffet style and just ok. I don't know if the tour guides on the bus were associated with the resort, but our guide (wish I could remember his name) had us laughing the whole way. Our guide also checked on us throughout the day and even came and got us when it was time to head back to the cruise ship!

1 Thank Candice870
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We went for the day and it was wonderful ,great drinks and food. The beach was even pretty. We are thinking about staying there for a week instead of a cruise. Just go back from a Carnival cruise and it will be my last with them....But the Reef was the best part. The people that worked at the Reef were happy you were their unlike the cruise ship.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Hacienda San Francisco Tzacalha
Playa Linda Hotel
Playa Linda Hotel
#3 of 13 in Progreso

Been to Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center? Share your experiences!