“A good for you dollar spot of relaxation”

Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Telchac Puerto
Kitchener, Canada
“A good for you dollar spot of relaxation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent 2 nights here,price was fair,food unfortunately was mediocre ,selection was boring,and it was served in the same building day and night from breakfast on,the variety of food was very Mexican and not much else ,the drinks were great ,good selection and brands,you could have drinks with lunch or at the wet bar which also has a lunch buffet in it till 5 pm,or hit the conference room / disco/ theatre for a drink,later at night till 2 am,the beach is nice ,water is very swimmable for anyone,it also has 2 pools that are very nice,a spot for the kiddies,and activities also for them,the rooms are basic but clean,nice beds tv with limited channels and not bad water pressure,they could some more interior furniture and better hot water but it does work,the staff is friendly and some speak English very well,if you go Ricardo is an excellent person to talk to,he works hard ,but finds the time to say hello to everyone and chat,they have some great waiters in the buffet area,my only beef is having reception people who cannot speak any English at all,same for the towel and recreation staff,some did some stared at you not understanding,we liked our stay but were glad it was time to move ,but like always ,you go and see for yourself ,chow

Room Tip: Either by the pool or ocean view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank daniel f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wroclaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Pros: Extremely helpful, friendly staff. Premises very clean and well-maintained (except for beach chairs which were dirty and many of which had broken slats.

Average: 1. Room was clean, no fridge, no coffee maker, no stopper for the bath drain (wife was disappointed), in-room safe, nice balcony, A/C was marginal - probably due to large gaps around the front door, no wi-fi reception 2. Buffet was large, food average.

Cons: 1. Beer is served poolside in ridiculously small glasses. 2. There are two very large speakers permanently installed at one end of the pool. The staff blasts hideous disco, techno, electronic music (noise) over these speakers at incredible volume throughout the day. This "music" is so loud it destroys what would otherwise be nice poolside ambiance. You can't get away from it. The system seems to be under the control of teenagers, however an appeal to the wait staff (with a tip) resulted in slightly lowered volume. If you are an adult at this resort trying to relax this is a huge problem that management needs to fix.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PhrixusPrime
houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

we visited this resort while on a carnival shore excursion. the beach was clean, staff very friendly, cocktails were awesome, and the food was great. they had a mexican snack style buffet with nachos, fajitas, taquitos and fresh fruit. if you didn't want that, there were also burgers and hotdogs. i was worried with the mixed reviews from both trip advisor and carnival, but i'm so glad we went. our friends have been her several times before on previous cruises and they had nothing but good things to say. don't let the 30 minute drive detour you. it was nice to be away from seeing the pier. i felt secluded. also, there were no vendors walking along the beach to sell you things. i felt very safe.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank alexis m
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel with our family five times over the last twelve years. It has always been clean, organized and the staff friendly and professional. The food has always been above average. The most recent visit was a complete disaster. The rooms were dirty; both mornings loud music began playing between 6:30AM-7:15AM; workers were yelling in the pool area (outside our room) beginning at 6:00AM; both days groups from cruise ships filled the pool and beach areas beginning at 9:30AM (we were not informed this would happen); and lastly, my husband and brother-in-law got food poisoning from the hotel food (pork chop). We complained while we were there and I wrote a letter after returning and we still haven't received any sort of apology. The food poisoning resulted in my husband being sick the remainder of our stay in Mexico and the first couple days back in the States. We are very disappointed in the experience and lack of response. We will not be staying at Hotel Reef again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Andrea Z

Travellers are raving about these Telchac Puerto hotels

Malden, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My mom and I spent a day here as part of a cruise ship excursion with Autoprogreso during a stop in Progreso. I believe we paid $35 and this included drinks and food. I can't comment on the rooms because all I experienced was the beach and other outdoor areas. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had a great day! The water isn't the pretty turquoise blue that you will get in Cozumel, but it was a greenish color and I had no problem spending several hours in it. The ground were very clean and offered massages(for an additional price) and showers you could use before heading to the pool area where the food was served. I loved the beach bar, it looked like a shipwrecked boat! Our waiter came around several times to get our drink orders. I don't think the drinks were very strong, but that didn't stop me from enjoying them. Everyone we came in contact with was pleasant and we ouldn't mind going to back.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank h_blond2
Ringwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I actually visited this property in Oct. 2011 while on a cruise, and I only now realize that I never wrote a review about my interesting day-long experience there. I vividly remember the experience. Our cruise got caught up in bad weather (the pitfall of cruising during hurricane season). Two stops were cancelled, and in their place, we were sent to Progreso. Progreso has to be the most uninteresting port of call I've ever encountered. We knew we weren't in the Caribbean, but we foolishly decided to spend money on a beach excursion and thought all-inclusive sounded like a good idea. I think the food & drinks were probably worse than what is available on any cruise I've sailed on, including Carnival. The beach, of course no fault of the resort, was so unappealing that we felt we would have had a better time at the Jersey shore (which, we don't think too highly of). We took one step on the beach and quickly backtracked to the pool. The service around the pool & bar area was adequate. I personally can't evaluate the rooms, but the people staying at the resort seemed to be enjoying themselves. Of course, I did wonder why they went there and not to, oh, I don't know, an island or the Caribbean areas of Mexico! Maybe Hotel Reef is super cheap in comparison? I'm being very generous by giving the average 3-star rating because I don't have the full guest perspective of the resort. I have absolutely no desire to obtain that full perspective.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mdgrl79
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed from Dec 21-Dec 23 and there were maybe 40 people max in the hotel and the majority of these people were "conventioners" from a local mexican company. Our room was large, had decent beds and was clean. We lost hot water in our building on the 2nd day and the hotel decided to close down that building and move everyone rather than fix the problem which was pretty annoying. The food is average. The mexican salsas were delicious, fresh fruit from the area, nice omelette's in the morning, but some of the other items like ham or meats, we avoided. Because it is all-inclusive, they give you a wrist-band and towel tickets which seem unnecessary since there are so few people. There is no mini-fridge and they do not provide water or drinks in the room, you have to either get the 8 ounce cups from the bar or buy your own. Speaking of, all bar drinks, including beers are served in 8-ounce plastic cups. 3 days was plenty at this resort.

Room Tip: There are no elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Hacienda San Francisco Tzacalha
Playa Linda Hotel
Playa Linda Hotel
#3 of 14 in Progreso

Been to Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center? Share your experiences!