“Nice meal in a beautiful, ancient building”
Review of La Chispa

La Chispa
Ranked #41 of 112 Restaurants in Valladolid
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This restaurante was recommended by our hotel desk for local food, late evening dinner. The restaurant has been there since 1910, and the building looks like it's been there much much longer. It was quite beautiful and romantic. Many Mexican revolution themed decorations, like a giant Poncho Villa wanted poster... Picture earthy red color walls, small enclosed courtyard area open to the stars. Seating was garden patio styled, thin wrought iron with cushions.

The food was very good, local cuisine. Really loved sorbet thing we ordered for dessert. The waiter spoke very decent English and could explain everything on the menu and answer most questions. We paid in cash, I'm not sure if they took credit card.

They're located on the block just west of the main plaza, on calle 41 (the street in front of the cathedral).

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Food is good enough, staff is polite, place is clean. It's a bit tourist-trap like but, considering the low price and the fair quality, we would recommend it.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We went to this restaurant tonight because -to be honest- we couldn't find any other restaurants open. But we had a nice meal! We had chicken with coriander sauce and steak, and they were both really nice! We were pleasantly surprised as the restaurant looked really touristy and the menu seemed somewhat 'snacky' (lots of nachos and quesadillas on the menu). If you go here, I definitely recommend our two meals and you won't be disappointed! (Especially the steak was amazingly tender and yummy).

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Went here based on the good reviews but this turned out to be a bit of a disappoinment. Actually the food turned out to be nothing out of the ordinary and you could have got the same dishes from a street vendor, only by half of the price. Food was lacking flavors and as they were lacking taste, they were also lacking presentation. Also the waiter who served us was notably drunk. Seemed like he forgot half of our order on his way to the kitchen. F.ex. we waited for the limes for our beers for a good fifteen minutes or more.. So overall, overpriced compared to the food they served. Service was poor as also was the interior with antique TV sets hanged on the walls eveywhere around the restaurant. I have just two words: Don't bother!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Not often do we go we take advantage of flyers being distributed on the street. What got us to go this time was that there was a free margarita being offered. Now that's not unusual but we had just been talking about wanting margaritas a few seconds before receiving the flyer offering us a free one at La Chispa. Fate often delivers in a big way and this was one of those times. Greeted at the door, walked to our seats, menus provided, flyer handed over and the waiter was off to get our margs. The setting was very nice in a hacienda type setting. A few minutes later a new person walks up with our drinks and asks where we are from. That started a conversation with Eduardo, the owner and self proclaimed, manager, waiter, cook, bartender, bus boy and whatever else he needed to be in order to ensure that his patrons are treated well and have a very enjoyable time. Trust me when I say he delivers in a big big way! Since he was the "jefe" I asked for his recommendation and it was the arrachera (marinated flank steak). Superb! It melted in my mouth. His other suggestion was the queso fondido (melted cheese) with longaniza sausage. Longaniza is a specialty of Valladolid. Even though I didn't order it he brought me out a small bowl to try. It was the best longaniza I ever had! My wife is a vegetarian and lactose intolerant and sometimes has a hard time finding something to eat as Mexico is a very meat intensive culture. She asked Eduardo about getting some ingredients on a couple of the menu items changed to accommodate her wants and he said that they would do whatever she wanted. Eduardo suggested a change and my wife said the dish was very good! Oh, and the margaritas were top notch!
Eduardo and La Chispa were a very nice experience that will happen again for sure!