“Great location, lovely hostel”
Review of Hostal del Fraile

Hostal del Fraile
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I certainly had a very different experience from some of the other reviewers on here. I found the place very clean with great facilities, though only one shower. The kitchen was fantastic and brekky was good. I stayed in the private that opened into the courtyard near the kitchen for US$23. The only possible issue with this room would be if you had noisy neighbours; the wall between the two rooms here does not reach the roof. Mosquito nets were provided which was great and the beds were comfortable. Pepe the owner gave us some great recommendations for the area, tho some of the younger staff were less forthcoming. It's right near the tequila and the chocolate factories and only a few blocks from the central plaza. We were able to park the car securely on the property.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqui C

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We arrived and the found the owner working the desk so the initial reception was helpful and curteous. We stayed in the private room up the spiral staircase which was very hot, no hot water and open slats to the street, very noisy and of course no protection against mosquitos. We had too make up the bed ouselves too. The faciities were ok though, internet was ok and there´s a computer you can use.

Room Tip: Don´t get the room above the showers with the spiral staircase.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed in the private room above the dorms. Staff were very unfriendly, beds were uncomfy, Internet was slow, air conditioner in the room kept on making loud and annoying noises every two minutes; sounded like a car starting up! Curtains did no justice, the light poured in like it was 8 in the morning! We also had the unfortunate experience of the Texas chainsaw Snorer sleeping just below us where the dorms were. Breakfast was terrible, and we got kicked out next day (thank god!). We hired their bikes before we left (to ride to the Cenotes), we paid them before we left for our next hostel, then we came for bikes the staff asked us to pay for the bikes when we had already paid. Once we came back he asked yet again for more money! Couldn't tell whether he thought we were stupid or he was stupid. Do your self a favour and don't stay at this place. We also heard from some other girls who stayed there for another night that the next night there was a bunch of backpackers who arrived and proceeded to party extremely loudly till three thirty in the morning! Stay at Hostel la Candelaria, which was a bsolutely fantastic, super clean and a beautiful outside area with hammocks and a much better breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kat_immy
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

bed bugs, clogged bathrooms, a very strange musty smell. This place has severe cleanliness issues. Possibly the worst experience i have suffered in mexico. The owners have to step up to the plate here.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I just stayed one night at Hostal del Fraile and I felt very lucky that it was only a night. The bathroom/shower was not very clean. I stayed in a cabana-like building where I could not even close the window, but at least I had a mosquito net on my bed. I did not get a key to close my room, only a lock and I did not feel completely safe.
The only good point is the location, close to the bus station and in central Valladolid. For one night it is still ok, especially if you are on a tight budget, but I would not recommend it for a longer stay.

Room Tip: I woul rather avoid it if your budget allows it...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Valladolid is a small city, not so much to do or visit. As it was recomended from lonely planet I booked by phone a double room, when we arrived just a young lazy boy attended us; everything seem old and crappy, what they call double room is just a place above the dorm, you have to pass trough the beds, climb a stair and the "room" is a kind of deposit, really hot and without any window!! Are you crazy!!! Bathroom are crappy and outside in a kind of horrible garden.. How can lonely planet suggest this place?
We escaped this junk place as fast as possible!
I really suggest the hotel san clemente in a wonderful location near the cathedral with nice staff low rates and quality room!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed one night in the cabana with two beds and shared bathroom. Everything was clean, just the plastic on the beds made me feel uncomfortable. There is also mosquito nets above the bed, which is good. The guy on reception was friendly and helpful. He and his friends played the pool for quite a long time which makes me feel like if I wanted to go to play, I had to wait for staff to finish, which doesnt seem right to me. There was also TV on, I dont know if it was so loud, but we could hear it well in our room. It didn´t take longer then untill 10 pm though. Breakfast is included, but it´s very simple. The hostel is very well located, 5 minutes walk to the centre. It is good deal for the price but not for a long stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple