“Restaurant with great potential - but not on target yet”
Review of Mama Chelly Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Mama Chelly Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Description: Is there some reason you are not letting me do a review on this new restaurant? My wife and I and some friends have noweaten at this new restaurant 3 times and each time I try and write a review - you say you have not heard about it...although this is the 3rd time I have now told you about it......HELP!
Valladolid, Mexico
“Restaurant with great potential - but not on target yet”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Mama Chelly is a less than 2 month old steakhouse, which has opened in a very beautiful former home of a family relative of the owner. They have spent considerable money on very nice comfortable upholstered chairs and decorations. The space is LARGE---maybe too large for the amount of business they are doing presently as it feels a bit strange to only have 2 or 3 tables occupied and the rest empty.

The menu is extensive with 10 appertizers (but no salads) / 2 pastas, a couple tacos and a hamburger on the menu. However, the main entree here is Angus steaks, along with a single grilled chicken entree. New York / Sirloin / Rib Eye / T- Bone and the ever present Arrachera steaks are served in varying sizes from 230 grams to 340 grams - from 90 pesos to 150 pesos. (A very reasonable price structure - if the meat lived up to promise)

We have eaten here several times with friends. Our experiences have been promising, but frustrating.

My wife likes a small dinner salad - but they have none. We have ordered their pasta "a la Boscaiola" and split an order as our appertizer. It is a well prepared dish with thin pasta noodles / ham / sausage/ mushrooms in a light fresh tomato sauce with cheese sprinkled on the top. We have said we might even order it as our main course sometime...it is good!

The steaks, however, have been a disapppointment except the Arrachera - which was tender, juicy, boneless and no fat...and was very tasty both times we ordered it! The New York steaks we tried on two occasions were tough and had too much grissle (spelling?) to be enjoyable.

Their bar staff seems to have not learned yet how to make the most basic of cocktails. Even the margaritas were not well made. We have decided to stick with wine or beer for the time being.

However- on our first visit the owner proudly told us about his plans for a fairly extensive, yet reasonably priced wine list (most bottles at 200 pesos) - but apparently that is on hold.

During our visit the time before last - they showed us only 3 bottles of red wine and one white wine to choose from / and on our most recent visit it was but one red wine / no white wines and one white zinfindel to choose from....take it or leave it. We chose the red cab. and it was quite drinkable, but we wonder if anyone will be ordering more wine in the future or not?!?!

Their desert is flan or ice cream. We ordered our ice cream with a coffee liquor poured over it and a dab of chocolate syrup....quite good. Their coffee is also very good.

All in all - I would encourage people to go to this restaurant, but selectively order until they change providers of their steaks as they are not currently up to par...as they are not tender!

The young owner needs to listen well to suggestions and helpful comments he should be soliciting from patrons to learn "how to get it right". His restaurant has great potential, but is not there yet. We would like to see him be successful, but he needs to do quite a bit of fine tuning to get where he needs to be.

• Visited October 2011