“I literally could not recommend this place more” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Tia Micha

Casa Tia Micha
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Valladolid
San Diego, California
“I literally could not recommend this place more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

My three favorite things about my recent trip to Yucatan: Ek Balam, Uxmal, and Casa Tia Micha.

After spending three nights in Merida, we stayed for two nights here in Valladolid, in the San Juan room. Their five rooms are named after the five historic churches in Valladolid. First off, the grounds are beautiful, and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. The bed was comfortable, and the place was quiet at night. When we made the reservation, they asked for any dietary restrictions, and they accommodated my vegetarianness warmly. The breakfasts are EXCELLENT. Maria Theresa cooks breakfast at home every morning and brings it in. The picante salsa served everywhere in Yucatan was best here. I actually emailed and asked for the recipe after returning to the US because I had to have it again.

So in terms of the quantatative aspects of the Casa, they are excellent. As a hotel, it is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone in the area. It is slightly more expensive than other hotels, but well worth the extra.

But the reason that my two nights here will always have a place in my heart is because of the family that runs it. First, they are incredibly kind, warm, charming, and welcoming. They literally treat you like family from the moment you arrive. This extends well beyond your time in the house. My friend had been battling illness since we arrived in Yucatan, and she felt so ill our first morning in Valladolid that we decided to cut our trip short and return to the US after only one night at the Casa. When we told this to the folks at the Casa, Arturo, the uncle and a radiologist, insisted on driving us to a medical clinic and helping my friend get checked out. He did this not to ensure that we stayed another night and that they got paid for the room, but because he knew that we had traveled a long way and had a lot left that we wanted to do. He took two hours out of his day to drive us to the medical clinic, ensure that we got in to see a doctor quickly, and that we felt comfortable with the experience with the doctor. The recommended treatment had my friend feeling much better within 24 hours. This is the biggest example, but there were others where Arturo offered to drive us 20 miles to the Ek Balam ruins (which I HIGHLY recommend (the ruins)), but we declined (the offer to drive us, just too kind). We were offered the recipes of the food that we liked; they took the time to genuinely converse with us and get to know us, despite somewhat of a language barrier. They did this not in a pushy or bothersome way. They didn't force us to talk to them, but they were available if we wanted to talk about anything, from the food or the hotel to the city, or the ruins, or the rest of our travel plans. Everyone there was quick with a smile and this family is one of my favorite memories from this trip, which is remarkable, considering how many amazing things that I did and saw.

So, if you're looking into potentially staying in Valladolid, I implore you to stay with this family. You won't regret it. I also want to personally recognize Julio, Celso, Vily, Emmy Rosa, María Teresa, Rosanelly, and Arturo for their kindness, helpfulness, and for making a great trip unforgettable. I hope to see them again some day, either in Valladolid, or in California if I ever have the opportunity to offer them the same hospitality that they showed me.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

we stay here one night on the way to Chichen-Itza, if you stay there you can arrive to the site early and avoid the large crowd. we stayed at the Honeymoon suite. It is a large, private and comfortable space. the location is great, 5 min from the center of town. we had a fantastic breakfast and very warm hospitality.

Room Tip: we recommend the Honeymoon suite
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank d2008g
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

This is the most amazing, welcoming, charming, and friendliest place you will find around... It's amazing how welcome the staff makes you feel and if you have any problem (not saying you will have any) they are on it .... I would even pay more to stay there the next time we arrive in this charming town .... I have nothing but good things to say about this beautiful place!

1 Thank wayfromhome
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed here one night on route too chitzen itza, and was totally captivated by this place,
rustic rooms really clean, patio ideal for tequila, beautiful garden for fantastic breakfast,
owners amazing and helpful,
what an amazing place away from the tourists and totally safe and welcoming town,
stayed with my beautiful fiance and was totally best place for romantic evenings will stay again but will stay everynight of duration of holiday next time.
thank you the owners of casa tia micha.
keith and ashley

Room Tip: honeymoon suite perfect with outside landing with rocking chairs and water feature.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank keith b
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days with my boyfriend and it was a really good experience ! Great room, very clean, little fridge, huge bed and a really rare thing in Mexico, a shower that worked with hot water ! The staff is really very attentive, asking you what you like for breakfast, etc. Don't hesitate !

Garfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

This place is perfect. Your about 1 block from the center of town and 2 blocks from cenote Zaci. Across the street to the left is two store which you can buy tequila and other items for reasonable prices. Which is perfect because at the hotel their is a small fridge. We also went to cenote Suytum for about 30 pesos on a taxi. Chichen-itza went by ADO which was very affordable.

1 Thank Bonacio C
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

This is a newly opened, family-run small hotel. It's very close to the main square of Valladolid, which is a really pretty town (stay here rather than Merida to visit Chichen Itza).

It's an old colonial house which, if I understand rightly, used to belong to the grandmother of the family. When she passed away they set out to renovate it and make it into a hotel. It was finished in (I think) April/May 2012. Indeed, the renovation is to a very high standard and the final result is a great place to stay.

We especially enjoyed the very high quality coffee and coffee-maker in the room; the amazing breakfasts on the patio; and the helpfulness of the family.

The sons and daughters work here and are very happy to have a chat/help out where they can/share a bottle of Corona or a shot of tequila.

The only criticism I would have is that the price is pretty high end for a guesthouse, especially one in a little town like this. However - the service is incredible and I think you're 100% guaranteed an excellent stay - you won't get that at many other lodgings.

We really liked it and hope the hotel is the great success it deserves to be!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple