“WOW!”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
North Captiva Island, Florida
“WOW!”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

One of the best meals ever...not exaggerating! Toby's (our chef) met us at the door tired, wet ,and weary from a boat trip from San Pedro. We were the only people there at 3:30 in the afternoon. He opened his kitchen, made us welcome, and brought cold beer and soda. Then we ordered the Day's Special which was Coconut Battered Lion Fish! Delicious! Just scrumptious! Gourmet Caribbean treat! He also prepared the whole snapper which was done to perfection served with fresh lime, avocado, fresh tomato, and butter lettuce. ( the choice was grilled in butter, grilled with garlic, or lightly pa fried which I had and which was "bone sucking good). The chef then personally invited us to a Saturday evening gathering for friends with appetizers and drinks gratis to celebrate his re opening for the season. The best dining experience in the lovely quaint and friendly Xcalak.

• Visited November 2013

Trondheim, Norway
“Not enjoyable for us, unfortunately”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I very much respect that other people might have nice experiences here, but unfortunately we did not enjoy our dinner here so much. It's a very "simple" kind of restaurant of course, I understand that, so we have nothing to complain on the service and the location. I had the coconut shrimp which I did not enjoy at all - just deep fried shrimps with a lot of coconut flakes on them - way to sweet for my taste. My husband had also had grilled scampi, which were better than the coconut ones but just very plain. A plate with 6-8 fried shrimps and nothing else. Perhaps it would have been more enjoyable for us if we had chosen some other dishes, like meat or tacos or something.

• Visited April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fun”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Nice casual place to hang out for beers. Taco night seemed very popular, but nothing for the vegetarian crowd.

Fun customers and staff and great wi fi connection.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank victoriascrimer
Silicon Valley
“Good Service & Food Xcalak”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

It is on the main street in this small town, and you can sit there and watch the locals (and expats) walk by.

When we got there, I asked our server, who's Toby? and he says "I'm Toby!" He proceeded to take our order, and didn't take too long to get our food. It is basically a casual, open air restaurant (to the front) with no real views except out to the street. The service is very friendly and the menu small and manageable. We had fried shrimp with coconut and chicken (a la plancha).

There is a lot of diving and scuba going on, my family and I were only there for the day, coming an hour up north from Majahual.

The street and cars going by are dusty, but drench the dust with some cold brews. Don't expect too much, and you will be fine.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank rcastrojr
Alamosa, CO
“Sloow”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Perfectly adequate fish tacos, but its right on main street (such as it is) with no real view, and took forever to get a couple fish tacos

Visited March 2013