“Loved everything, especially our room”
Review of Casa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Casa Paraiso
Ranked #3 of 4 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Oak Park, Michigan
“Loved everything, especially our room”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was our second visit to Xcalak, so we knew how much we liked the town, the environment, and the restaurants. The first time we wanted to stay at Casa Carolina, but they were already full when we tried to make a reservation, so we stayed at another hotel up the road. Take our word for it, you don't want to have to drive up and down that road all the time. Every time we drove past Casa Carolina, and knew we had another 20 minutes or so to go to our hotel (it seemed like forever), we thought to ourselves, “If we were staying here, we would be home now,” and vowed, “Next time...” Because we knew there would be a next time. So this time we planned a little bit better, and got a reservation at Casa Carolina. It far exceeded our expectations. The grounds were even more beautiful than they looked from the road. It was nice having the hotel building set so far back from the road, and not right on the road. Bob and Caroline were terrific hosts. Breakfast in the palapa was a treat every day. We felt so pampered being picked up right at the dock for fishing and snorkeling trips. Last time the boats wouldn't pick us up so far north. We had to go into town to meet our boat and guide. More time on that road! It was far more relaxing to be picked up at Casa Carolina and brought back there than to have to drive that road before and after an excursion. But what we loved most was our room at Casa Carolina. It was spacious, beautiful, and had everything we needed, without being cluttered. Casa Carolina provided us with so much space to spread out and put our things that we were able to move right in and feel like it was ours. We have found the vacation destination we will return to again and again—it's Xcalak. And we have found the hotel we will return to—it's Casa Carolina.

Room Tip: Stay in a room at Casa Carolina and you'll have a good room.
1 Thank J0Mull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I suppose it would be giving Bob and Caroline too much credit to think that they could be responsible for how amazingly beautiful the full moon over the Caribbean is in front of Casa Carolina. But they definitely do get the credit for the wonder we enojoyed every night viewing it from the end of their dock. The moon—a great, big orange ball rising over the horizon--looked completely full for four nights. Each night my husband and I took a bottle of wine, and wine glasses, out to the end of the dock. We dangled our legs over the water, sipped our wine, and watched the moon rise over the sea. I can't begin to describe how magnificent it was, and how privileged we felt to be there. You have to see it for yourself.

And beyond that, we loved everything about Casa Carolina. The kitchen was so well designed and equipped with everything we needed that we never even went out to dinner. It was just too easy to stay right where we were. We hear we missed some really good restaurants but, oh well...next time. Our room was comfortable, bright, and cheery, with just the right amount of appointments. Breakfast in the palapa was lovely, as was enjoying a before dinner drink with other guests. We have never had better hosts than Bob and Caroline, or a better vacation.

Room Tip: Just come here...they're all great
1 Thank Katcar2014
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Just got back from Xcalak with my girlfriend, and can`t wait to get back! I`ve been to Casa Carolina 4 times, simply because Casa Carolina is paradise! Caroline and Bob are just the coolest hosts u can imagine, and the place is just a dream! I could written all in details, but it would be the longest review ever! So I`ll stick to the facts! FANTASTIC!

Kai Finbråten
Norway

2 Thank Kai F
Loreto, Mexico
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I just left after 6 nights, and wished I could have stayed longer. I can't remember how many times I've been back...but I'm amazed at how well kept the grounds and rooms are, how the gardens have grown and matured. This was the first time I've stayed in a ground floor room, and loved being able to walk right out on to the beach. One thing that I don't think has been emphasized enough is that Casa Carolina has one of the few docks in the area that will allow you to get beyond the turtle grass into water deep enough to swim and snorkel. It also means that if you want to go fishing or diving or take a trip to see birds or manatees you get picked up right there...no need to drive anywhere. As I was writing this, I noticed a poor review from someone who didn't even stay there! I think some misstatements need clarification. Being asked to make sure a toilet isn't running when you leave the room is a simple request that if not done could have serious consequences, like no water left for showers! And, by the way, there are no sewers or municipal water sources. There is plenty of shade on the property, in the porches, under trees, by the table and chairs behind the rooms, and in the big palapa. It would be great if margaritas were free, but that is not the first thing I look for in a place to stay. I love the friendly meetings in the palapa for breakfast and for happy hour. I have met so many interesting people from all over the world there, and have made new friends that I enjoy seeing there every year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth S
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My wife and I booked 3 nights at Casa Carolina, having read great reviews on Trip Advisor. Earlier in the week, we had stayed nearby at another B&B and we had been treated so magnificently that we were sad to leave. This all served to bring into stark clarity the contrast between the two establishments. Upon arrival at Casa Carolina you are greeted warmly and shown to your room. An orientation then ensues during which the complexities and sensitivities of lodging at an eco resort are communicated (in detail) - the low point being a requirement to watch over the toilet cistern as it refills to ensure that 3000 litres of water are not unexpectedly lost to the sewers. As you look around your room, you realise that it is clean, but very, very small and rather sterile. There is the beach right outside your door, but no beach palapas and no shade for my wife to relax in while I go fishing. The orientation over, (we were not offered a welcome drink, or help with our luggage) my wife looked at me and her face said it all. We had come half way around the world and yes, we could put up with this for 3 days, but in comparison to where we had come from where margaritas were free and we were treated as part of the family… there was no comparison. Se we called Caroline back and apologised, told her she could keep our money, checked out and went back up the road to see if we could have our old room back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Gregory M
VirginiaThorpe, Owner at Casa Paraiso, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Although each offers different features, for such a remote location, Xcalak has a number of hotels that people like very much. Evidence of this can be seen in the reviews. Most people who come to Xcalak like where they stay the first time and return to the same property, unless they desire different features or a different location. When this couple requested a reservation, we did not have availability for all the days they were seeking. So they made a reservation at another hotel for the first few nights, until we had a room available for them. Apparently they are another example of people liking where they stayed first.

This review was a big surprise. We are glad they had a good time in Xcalak but it is disappointing they did not stay at Casa Carolina long enough to experience all that is offered—apparently not even long enough to notice that there are shaded areas, in addition to their covered terrace. When they told us they were leaving they insisted everything was lovely, but that they were leaving because they had friends at the other place and wanted to go back. That was okay with us; we only want happy people at Casa Carolina. Living “off the grid” does require some different efforts than what most visitors are used to. We believe our guests are entitled to understand the reasons. Most of our guests are the kind of people who are interested in and value the explanations. But, to review so negatively a place you "stopped in to" for about 15 minutes, that you say was clean but you would have liked more decoration in the room, we do not understand.
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Casa Carolinas. There were really fantastic rooms and the hosts were really hospitable. You can often see birds on the beach in front of the houses, and the snorkeling was also pretty good. The only small issue I have is that there is a small amount of garbage in front of the beach and a small amount of effort could change this.v All in all though it was so fantastic there!

Room Tip: If you like to cook your own meals get the upper floor of the reef house.
Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jax D
Moss, Norway
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Our new found paradise! We came there to relax for a few days after touring the Yucatan for a week. We had high expectations after reading reviews on the net, but it was even better than expected. Run by the very friendly and hospitable couple Caroline and Bob from Philadelphia, it was just the perfect, relaxing, beautiful place we dreamed about. Four nice, good sized rooms with a kitchen and a large fridge, ceiling fan, mosquito net and even good reading light by the bed. Amazing, considering they depend on solar power and rain water. Right on the beautiful tropical beach. The beach itself are no good for swimming as the water is extemely shallow and covered with weed. If you walk out to the end of the pier. though, you have just enogh watwr to swim further out. If you snorkel, there are even some colourful fish to see around the pier. Drinking water is provided in the room, breakfast is included. The breakfast was a bit unusual for us Norwegians (cupcakes, selfmade and tasty as they were, is not exactly our "cup of tea" for breakfast), but it worked fine. I must add that fruit and hard boiled eggs and bread also was provided. In the afternoon/early evening Bob made us som really good margaritha's. After leaving Xcalak, we stayed 3 nights in Tulum, regretting that we didn't spend those 3 nights in Xcalak as well. We would really love to come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndisMoss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club
Matachica Resort & Spa
Matachica Resort & Spa
#8 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to Casa Paraiso? Share your experiences!