“When can we come back???”
Review of Casa Paraiso

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Casa Paraiso
Ranked #2 of 4 Xcalak B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2014

For the 3rd of 4th year in a row we've spent the worst of the winter weeks in Xcalak, at Casa Carolina. And Caroline & Bob never lets you down! I love, love, love the feeling of turning off the access road from the highway, turning into the sleepy little town and driving along until you reach CC! The rooms are big enough, very clean and well kept, with enough stuff if you want to do your own cooking. Which we actually did a bit of this time - we arrived at the end of February and so got to buy the last of the year's lobster-catch from one of the local fishermen. Bliss! But you mustn't go to Xcalak without eating at the Leaky Palapa - they are more expensive than the rest, but it's oh so worth every penny! I had three wonderful trips out with Louis on his boat - looking for manatees at Laguna or Rio Chico (yes, we got to see them!), snorkeling on the flats above the cenotes: that was amazing! Thousands and thousands of fish! And snorkelig out on the reef - a wonderful experience. Just remember how strong the sun is and how hot it gets, make sure you have a good tan before you go out in a boat. The days floated by, Bob made sure the evenings got off to a flying start in the palapa, making us excellent cocktails! We met old friends and also made new ones - that's part of the charm of staying at CC - so many great people there! I will need to go back next year, as I have made a promise to get my diver's certificate. PS - the road was the worst I've ever seen it, but it got fixed just a couple of days after we got there. Don't let the bumps stop you, but make sure you have a car with good ground clearance. A rental. I would cry if I had to use my own...

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My first trip to Xcalac, and definitely not the last. Casa Carolina with Caroline and Bob taking care of me will be my choice the next time for sure. Their superb hospitality and beautiful place, combined with good knowledge of the area and people, gave us the best fishing and holiday experience yet. Truly caring hosts. Not to mention magnificent nature and of course fishing witch is my forte. It is complete relaxation, solitude and peace, with the cool breeze of the pacific at your terrace, you will wake up with the sunrise shining in your room every day. The rooms have all the luxuries one can expect at a place so far from the beaten path. In the evening bob will serve you bloody marys and tequilas in their combined bar and breakfast hut. If you don't get a room with caroline and Bob and have to stay at some other place, be sure to come to their bar for happy hour between 17.00 and 19.00, as everyone is welcome for a drink. Hola C&B

Room Tip: Top floor would be my choice, but all rooms are good
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ScandiAndy
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This was the first trip to the Yucatan for my husband and me, and we were a bit apprehensive about what it would take to get to Xcalak---could be a great adventure or a mess. We took the plunge and followed the advice we were given both by Caroline and Bob, and by reading on travel forums, and it was SOOOOOO worth it!
Casa Carolina is clearly a labor of love for the owners, and it shows in every detail. We were warmly welcomed by Caroline, who showed us to our beautiful room and familiarized us with how to use everything conscientiously so that there would be electricity and water enough for all. I read another review of someone complaining about this, but it is essential!! I don't know about anyone else, but we don't live in a place where we ever have to give any thought to how I'm going to get my water or power--they are just there when we expect them to be. It is a different way of living when you are off the grid and depend on rain water and solar power. Get over it and enjoy it! ( or choose not to vacation in remote locations--stick to the congestion and skyscraper hotels....)
Ok, sermon's over. We felt very comfortable in our room, loved that we had a full kitchen, roomy shower for two, slept like babies with the sliding door open and the breeze blowing off the ocean about 20 yards away. Watched the gorgeous sunrise literally from our pillows each morning, what a way to start your day. Caroline made breakfast (wonderful muffins, eggs, toast, and fruit), and in the late afternoon, Bob conducted a happy hour with various beers and mixed drinks and his justifiably renowned margaritas. Both were social gathering times for everyone there to chat, discuss either their plans for the day or how everything had gone that day, and great sources of local info, restaurant recommendations, etc. We greatly enjoyed the company of the other guests as well as our hosts, and we even all went out to dinner together one evening for huge platters of amazing paella.
Snorkeling right off the dock we saw a panorama of fish and sea life that I have previously in other places had to take boats to see, and we enjoyed paddling around with the kayaks also. It's an easy ride into town on the bikes to explore Xcalak. There are also readily available local fishing guided trips, snorkel trips, manatee watching--- all of those arrangements will be kindly made for you by Caroline, and you will be picked up and dropped back off right at the dock--so easy and convenient. On the other hand, and maybe best of all, if you're tired from all your activities or want to just relax and do nothing but enjoy this lovely place, there are hammocks and beach lounge chairs dotted around the grounds, as well as on your own patio. It's a quiet, beautiful, peaceful, very very well-run and cared-for destination. We loved the setting, our hosts who made everything so easy, and really everything about this gorgeous place off the beaten path. We have absolutely no hesitation in giving it our highest rating. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms face the ocean and have the same unbelievable view, 2 upstairs with decks, 2 downstairs...
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This was our second visit to Xcalak, so we knew how much we liked the town, the environment, and the restaurants. The first time we wanted to stay at Casa Carolina, but they were already full when we tried to make a reservation, so we stayed at another hotel up the road. Take our word for it, you don't want to have to drive up and down that road all the time. Every time we drove past Casa Carolina, and knew we had another 20 minutes or so to go to our hotel (it seemed like forever), we thought to ourselves, “If we were staying here, we would be home now,” and vowed, “Next time...” Because we knew there would be a next time. So this time we planned a little bit better, and got a reservation at Casa Carolina. It far exceeded our expectations. The grounds were even more beautiful than they looked from the road. It was nice having the hotel building set so far back from the road, and not right on the road. Bob and Caroline were terrific hosts. Breakfast in the palapa was a treat every day. We felt so pampered being picked up right at the dock for fishing and snorkeling trips. Last time the boats wouldn't pick us up so far north. We had to go into town to meet our boat and guide. More time on that road! It was far more relaxing to be picked up at Casa Carolina and brought back there than to have to drive that road before and after an excursion. But what we loved most was our room at Casa Carolina. It was spacious, beautiful, and had everything we needed, without being cluttered. Casa Carolina provided us with so much space to spread out and put our things that we were able to move right in and feel like it was ours. We have found the vacation destination we will return to again and again—it's Xcalak. And we have found the hotel we will return to—it's Casa Carolina.

Room Tip: Stay in a room at Casa Carolina and you'll have a good room.
1  Thank J0Mull
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I suppose it would be giving Bob and Caroline too much credit to think that they could be responsible for how amazingly beautiful the full moon over the Caribbean is in front of Casa Carolina. But they definitely do get the credit for the wonder we enojoyed every night viewing it from the end of their dock. The moon—a great, big orange ball rising over the horizon--looked completely full for four nights. Each night my husband and I took a bottle of wine, and wine glasses, out to the end of the dock. We dangled our legs over the water, sipped our wine, and watched the moon rise over the sea. I can't begin to describe how magnificent it was, and how privileged we felt to be there. You have to see it for yourself.

And beyond that, we loved everything about Casa Carolina. The kitchen was so well designed and equipped with everything we needed that we never even went out to dinner. It was just too easy to stay right where we were. We hear we missed some really good restaurants but, oh well...next time. Our room was comfortable, bright, and cheery, with just the right amount of appointments. Breakfast in the palapa was lovely, as was enjoying a before dinner drink with other guests. We have never had better hosts than Bob and Caroline, or a better vacation.

Room Tip: Just come here...they're all great
1  Thank Katcar2014
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Just got back from Xcalak with my girlfriend, and can`t wait to get back! I`ve been to Casa Carolina 4 times, simply because Casa Carolina is paradise! Caroline and Bob are just the coolest hosts u can imagine, and the place is just a dream! I could written all in details, but it would be the longest review ever! So I`ll stick to the facts! FANTASTIC!

Kai Finbråten
Norway

2  Thank Kai F
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I just left after 6 nights, and wished I could have stayed longer. I can't remember how many times I've been back...but I'm amazed at how well kept the grounds and rooms are, how the gardens have grown and matured. This was the first time I've stayed in a ground floor room, and loved being able to walk right out on to the beach. One thing that I don't think has been emphasized enough is that Casa Carolina has one of the few docks in the area that will allow you to get beyond the turtle grass into water deep enough to swim and snorkel. It also means that if you want to go fishing or diving or take a trip to see birds or manatees you get picked up right there...no need to drive anywhere. As I was writing this, I noticed a poor review from someone who didn't even stay there! I think some misstatements need clarification. Being asked to make sure a toilet isn't running when you leave the room is a simple request that if not done could have serious consequences, like no water left for showers! And, by the way, there are no sewers or municipal water sources. There is plenty of shade on the property, in the porches, under trees, by the table and chairs behind the rooms, and in the big palapa. It would be great if margaritas were free, but that is not the first thing I look for in a place to stay. I love the friendly meetings in the palapa for breakfast and for happy hour. I have met so many interesting people from all over the world there, and have made new friends that I enjoy seeing there every year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Elizabeth S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
El Secreto
El Secreto
#41 of 55 in San Pedro
Almaplena Eco Resort & Beach Club

Been to Casa Paraiso? Share your experiences!