“Wonderful place to vacation”
Review of Coral Garden Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xcalak
Coral Garden Inn
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I and my girlfriend, along with three other couples went to the Yucatán and stayed at the Coral Garden Inn this May. We rented the entire house and had plenty of space. The cost was great split between the 4 couples. The local diving was good and the snorkeling near the house was wonderful. The kitchen had all the utensils one would need. Agusto, the caretaker, helped us get some great fish from a local fisherman. The house was comfortable. The beach was great. They have a couple wide palapa's that we rested under each afternoon before heading into town for some wonderful dinners at the restaurants they suggested. Ron and Roberta, the owners, made sure the house had everything we needed.

We are already planning our trip for next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Coral Garden Inn

Reviewed 5 July 2012

My husband and I and our 3 small children, ages 6, 4 and 1 ½ years, drove to Xcalak on New Year’s day 2012, after spending a week in Cancun. We arrived in Xcalak during a rainstorm, after dark with 3 sleepy, tired children. We barely ate some food and fell into bed not knowing really where we were. Imagine our surprise the next morning when we awoke to find ourselves next to white sand beach with the beautiful, turquoise carribean ocean directly in front of our windows. The children couldn’t wait to get into the water!! The water was shallow, warm and filled with small sea life, perfect for my children to explore. With a few shovels and a bucket or two, they were in heaven and I was too, as my husband and I relaxed in the shade of the palms with a beer and a book. The caretaker’s children who live next to the Inn played every day with our kids and showed them all the great sea life that abounds in the water. Soon they all had created their own aquariums of interesting sea life.
This was a perfect vacation for our family. The house was comfortable, well furnished and had everything we needed. We could totally relax without worry for our children’s safety or entertainment. We even took a couple of hours snorkeling in the beautiful coral reefs just south of the house. Amazing!
If you are looking for a kicked back, stress free family vacation in an undeveloped, pristine environment... this is the place! The most relaxing I’ve done in 6 years, since the oldest was born.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My wife and I stayed in Coral Garden Inn the last week of March, 2012, and it is hard to imagine a better vacation. It was a long drive from Cancun to Xcalak, but we're frequent visitors to Mexico, and the drive itself was rewarding. Even by Mexican standards, Xcalak is pretty remote. But the friendliness of the local residents - from native Mayans to Gringo expatriates - and the welcome we got from the inn's caretakers made us feel right at home. We were fortunate enough to get the upstairs unit, with its large outdoor balcony overlooking the beach. We spent most of our week there relaxing, snorkeling (the local dive shop offers a host of excursions, but we saw almost as much just off the inn's beach), and dining - either in the several excellent restaurants (we liked Toby's) or prepared by ourselves in the inn's well-equiped kitchen. Every day, different vendors trucks would stop on the road outside and beep it's horn, inviting us to check out their offerings. One day it was fresh tortillas; others it was fruit and vegetables, breads and pastries, or fresh eggs. There's nothing like lying in a hammock on a tropical beach eating fresh watermelon.

The rooms at Coral Garden Inn were clean and well-maintained. The place is totally off the grid; they get their own water from an underground cistern and electricity is collected from solar panels on the roof. We had good internet access throughout our stay. Maybe it was the time of the year, but we didn't encounter so much as a mosquito. We made one excursion away from Xcalak, to the Mayan ruins at Chocchiban, about an hour away. Well worth it.

We visited several of the other resorts along the road. They all know and are friends with one another, including Ron and Roberta. The only unhappy moment of our trip came when it was time for us to leave. I'd go back to Coral Garden Inn without hesitation.

Room Tip: Upstairs or down are equally wonderful. If you're downstairs, you walk out the door onto the bea...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2010

This is my second time staying at The Coral Garden Inn in the quaint fishing village of Xcalak. It's simply heaven here. This is the perfect spot for people who want to enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Coast without having to interact with tons of tourists.

The property only has two units and they are both very similar in design and decor. They come with a fully equipped kitchen, two bedrooms (one master with King bed the other with two queens), nice sized bathroom, large kitchen/dining room area. There is a large wooden dining table with at least six dining chairs and in the living rooms area there is two sofas (one turns into a sleeper). There is free wireless which works perfectly, screens on all the windows and sliding doors and bottled water for drinking/cooking. The property is very 'green' and works off solar energy, so you do need to be mindful about conserving energy.

The beach is literally twenty feet from the property. They have two shady palapa with loungers and chairs. My husband enjoyed a massage from a local therapist, Brittany, under the palapa. It was the perfect setting. There is a lovely family, Juana and Agosta and their sweet children (who my 7-year-old spent more time with than us) who live onsite and provide excellent housekeeping, care-taking, babysitting and laundry services.

The highlights for us: relaxing on the beach without seeing another person for hours, using the complimentary kayaks to paddle close to the reef, watching the local kids playing on the beach, feeling safe leaving our son with the eldest daughter, Paola, when we went for a fantastic dinner in town at The Leaky Palapa.

Things to note: town is about 9 kms away, its not far but the road is a little bumpy. It's really necessary to get water booties to enjoy getting into the water on the beach. Bring bug repellant. Bring your snorkel gear. All in all, we love, love, love it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We had a wonderful trip to Xcalak this February with five of us staying at Coral Garden Inn. This incredible piece of paradise is something hard to share with others because one wants to keep the secret to one's self. However, how can you not share such a great spot?

Each unit, upper and lower, are laid out the same with two large bedrooms and one spacious bathroom. Everything you could want or need in this remote end of Mexico is there if you simply follow instructions about packing and shopping prior to coming. And then once there, there is more than one could ever want.

The owners are easy to communicate with during reservations. The managers (Andy and Ruth) are wonderful people beyond simply handing over the keys. We enjoyed snorkeling in front of their place just a bit down the road. The caretaker's family is delightful and helpful. We enjoyed learning and improving our Spanish language skills with the children. They are great teachers if you care to engage them. And they keep a respectful distance for you to have your quiet time if you are not "into" connecting with people while there.

The improved road makes the drive from the village to CGI a shorter and smooth ride. So much to do! The booklet inside each unit is the best prepared one I've seen in many visits to this area. Kayaks, bikes, snorkeling, fishing, birding, walking, resting, reading, cooking, visiting with the locals and with the expatriates, star gazing, trips "out" to Chetumal and Majahual. The days fly by and it's time to go home. And to plan your next trip back.

If you enjoy visiting remote areas, but having comforts in the remote areas, this is a wonderful choice. Don't wait too long, though. This area will not be considered very remote for too many more years.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2010

My husband and I took our 2,3, and 5 year old kids here 11/10-11/16 2009. We really could not have imagined a more perfect place for our family.

The ocean was no more than waist deep in pockets for as far as you could walk (100-200yards maybe?). The first 50 feet was no more than 24 inches deep- it was like a tropical splash pool for my kids- with fish, squid, coral, giant sun-bleached conch shells, and soft white sand. The water was bath temperature in November. My husband was in seventh heaven with his fly rod- he caught bone fish (off of a de-barbed salt water fly) while I lay under the palapa with my book and the kids splashed around and built sand castles.

This is a place to get close to nature. We snorkeled with the kids, kayaked and saw lots of tropical fish and marine plants. The colors were unbelievable. The ocean here is in the biosphere reserve, so you need to pay to 'use the water' which was a four dollar a day fee- and well worth it. You can tell that it is a protected reef- the plant life is unharmed, and the fish act like they are in an aquarium. Blue crabs crossed the roads nightly, we saw many birds, some giant lizards, a scorpion, and of course the friendly dogs and cats that belong to the caretakers. You can stand on the roof and see jungle as far as you can see on one side of the house, then ocean as far as you can see on the other. There were hundreds of giant sun bleached conch shells everywhere- I wanted to 'smuggle' one home with me for a souvenir, but I didn't.

The house was very very clean, towels were fresh, all the supplies you would want to be there were there. The house has comfy beds, locking safes, closets, a fully furnished kitchen with a 5 gallon purified water jug they refill for you when it needs it. Hammocks, a BBQ, a patio table and chairs, a CD player, a TV you can borrow from the caretakers, nice shower, although hot water comes and goes like most places on the Yucatan.

We cooked all our meals, as I enjoy cooking. We bought groceries from the truck that comes by several times a week- it has chicken, eggs, milk, cheese, fruits veggies, bread tortillas- everything we needed pretty much. There were several kind of hole-in-the wall shops with various groceries. We did end up needing to go down to Chetumal (2 hours south) for medicine one day- which turned out to be maybe as large as Cancun- everything you'd need there including an international airport. (We will consider flying in here next time) The restaurant we tried in Xcalak didn't take credit cards even though one had a giant visa sign painted outside on the road- the internet is intermittent so they say, so get pesos before you get there.

We visited the ruins near Chetumal- it was thick jungle and very cool! So much better experience in my opinion than the manicured Tulum ruins. You can go out to the reef for scuba diving and deeper water snorkeling. Next time we will take the dive shop's trip to Ambergris Caye in Belize which is a day trip chartered out by the dive shop in Xcalak. Mostly we just lay on the beach and relaxed and rejuvenated.

The owners Ron and Roberta were down in Xcalak during our stay, and made every effort to give us the best experience, even offering us some of their BBQ one night and inviting us to go snorkeling. I was impressed with their friendliness, while they still managed to make us feel like we had the entire beach to ourselves.

The caretakers do live at the Inn, they have kids who go to school, and they go about their daily lives there. She cleans the house daily, and he grooms the yard, gets the kayaks for you and bikes if needed. They are more like bed-and-breakfast owners than maids, since they do live there, and you are sharing their home with them. Oh, and they are pretty much Spanish speaking only. They were polite and courteous and stayed out of our business unless we needed something. I found that my kids gravitated toward theirs and became fast friends despite the language differences. There was a mixing of cultures and a few times I wasn't sure if I should let my kids inside their living quarters or not despite them saying it was okay. I didn't want to intrude on their space as they didn't on ours. The kids did play on the beach and in the large side yard together and had fun playing barbies and even a game of kickball using coconuts as bases. The children were very sweet and seemed to have been taught the social cues of when to approach and when not to.

The locals are a mix of ex-pats and Mexicans and Mayans maybe- but everyone is laid back, extremely helpful and happy. They seem to all enjoy their life style and be at peace. There was a sense of community and people all seemed to know each other which was welcoming.

This is a great place for bonding with family and friends, for people who love nature, and for people who want an true vacation literally away from it all. For us it was truly our private paradise.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I have just left Coral Garden Inn after a week with my husband. The drive is long as if you are going to the end of the road and then appears this beautiful two story home facing the flowing palm trees and the blue green waters of the Carribean. Inside is so easy and comfortable with lots of room, everything you need in the kitchen plus great books and movies. It took me a couple of days to slow down and then I found the groove of this place. I like how the wind blows everything away and the heat of the day feels great against the water. I had never snorkeled before and that was fascinating, especially seeing the underwater desert -like plants and the deep purple coral.

The family who caretakes the property is lovely, always helpful and making the outdoors so beautiful with new foliage. The road was being smoothed while we were there and it is easy to take walks now.

It took me getting used to no real village to shop in and instead buy off the fruit truck that came by every few days. It truly is at the end of the road and is a very beautiful place to settle into and be connected to wondrous nature.

I would recommend this as a real getaway from anything resembling a fast pace life.

1  Thank CaliforniaRelaxed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xcalak
Costa de Cocos
#3 of 23 in Bacalar
Posada LULU La Bruja
Posada LULU La Bruja
#9 of 47 in Bacalar

Been to Coral Garden Inn? Share your experiences!