“4th Time Back”

Catalonia Royal Tulum
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We went over the Thanksgiving holidays and needless to say we have a great time. The staff was wonderful like always. I've never had an issues with the room or restaurants. The beach was a little more crowded than what we are custom to seeing there but we were able to find a comfortable spot. Overall you can't go wrong with this resort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Araceli F
Write a ReviewReviews (7,610)

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Context: We are in our mid-30s and travel to the Caribbean, usually to Riviera Maya, once or twice per year. We do not have kids and prefer to stay at adult-only resorts (or at least in an adult-only section). We tend to split our time half on the beach, half by the pool. We enjoy good food but we are not serious foodies. Features important to us include decent liquor, respectable gym facilities, and fitness classes (Zumba, yoga, etc.). We have vacationed previously at Breezes Curacao, Catalonia Riviera Maya, Catalonia Royal Tulum, Great Parnassus, Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay and Ocean Coral & Turquesa.

We have stayed at Catalonia Royal Tulum twice – first in October 2009 and then in April 2011. This review will cover both of our visits.

Room: We stayed in basic rooms on both visits and they were fine, but not spectacular. All rooms at Catalonia Royal Tulum face the interior of the resort. They have nice, large balconies which overlook the “jungle” walkway that brings you from the lobby and restaurants at the front of the resort to the pool and beach at the back. You will see and hear lots of interesting birds. The bed is comfortable, the room was cleaned well every day, and the fridge was stocked with sodas, beer and water.

Food: We liked not having to make reservations and not having to go to a buffet for dinner – a big plus for us. We enjoyed most of the food here, especially at the Mexican restaurant for dinner (they have an outstanding, very hot habanera salsa). The buffet off the lobby was good for breakfast – fairly typical of AI resorts. The buffet closer to the beach was good for lunch – very convenient to the beach and the pool. The snack bar just off the pool was excellent – great pizzas, burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc. They also had a snack menu that you can order off of. The tapas restaurant was interesting, but didn’t blow us away – it has great atmosphere but be sure to bring strong bug repellent. We felt a bit disappointed by the steakhouse and the Italian restaurant was OK.

Drinks: Drinks were generally very good. They make very good Cheladas (Presidente on tap) and margaritas. Brand name liquor (Bacardi, Malibu, etc.) is available but you have to ask for it. Their good tequila is Sauza Hornitos, which my wife and I both enjoy.

Beach: The beach is beautiful. Very few towel games. We never had trouble finding two seats together – one in the sun and one in the shade. Snorkeling in front of the resort is pretty good. Drink service on the beach is minimal if not non-existent.

Pool: The main pool is very pretty and relatively quiet, not drowning in blaring music or loud games. There is no swim-up bar, but there is a bar nearby. There are some very cool Jacuzzi tubs under a pergola, they are not hot but they are warmer than the pool water. There is no shade in the pool, but shade is readily available in the chairs around the pool. Again, we never had trouble finding one chair in the sun and one in the shade. There are also some low key but fun entertainment games (like bingo). Also nearby the pool is the “chill area”, which is a great place to get some sun or read your book in the afternoon, or enjoy a pre- or post-dinner drink in the evening.

Grounds: The grounds of the resort are very pretty but not mind blowing. They are tropical and traditional, not ultra-modern. The resort is connected front to back by a main pathway through the center of the resort, which is densely covered with jungle foliage. Small hidden speakers play soft music throughout. It only takes a few minutes to walk the entire pathway (from the lobby to the beach), which is lined on both sides with the buildings containing all of the guest rooms. Along the way you will cross bridges over lagoons and a cenote. You will see coati, birds, and many iguanas.

Fitness: There is a very small, very minimal gym just off the spa, near the pool. There were no yoga or zumba classes when we visited.

Entertainment: The shows did not leave a big impression, although we tended to catch the show in the theater every night after dinner. The theater itself is nice. There was no problem with the shows, they are just fairly standard AI fare. The theater is very close to the cenote so be sure to wear strong bug spray.

Staff: The bartenders at the pool bar and the servers providing drink service around the pool did a good job keeping us topped off. Unfortunately, the drinks sometimes were made with rail liquor despite specifically requesting otherwise.

Summary: We really like the CRT and feel it is a very good value. We have stayed at one of their other resorts, the Catalonia Riviera Maya, and feel that this was a very, very big step up. We also enjoyed the adult-only atmosphere as this was our first AO resort. For the right price, we would consider going back to this resort. There are certainly nicer resorts, but you get a lot at the CRT for a relatively small price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank John B

me·di·o·cre
/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
adjective: mediocre1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
"a mediocre actor"synonyms: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish;
This resort was beautiful. The beach and ocean were superb. The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff were amazing and detailed. Tip them well! The drinks were just okay and varied from day to day! The only 2 places I would reccomend to eat is the Italian and Mexican restaurants. On day three of our 7 day trip my friend fell and broke her knee in the lobby and not one staff member ever checked on her to see if she was okay or if she needed anything. A trip to the hospital and $3000.00 later we were back at the resort. We had to take a taxi as they provide NO transportation to anywhere! They did nothing for my friend! I had to push her around in a wheelchair for four days! What fun for me! Make sure you purchase travelers health insurance when going out of the country as it was a rude awakening to what it will cost! I think this resort could be amazing if it fired it's existing management team and started over with new staff and better training! It's really a shame a little compassion could have gone a long way here!

Room Tip: It really don't matter which room you stay in! Your only there to sleep and bathe. The beach is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The CRT is as most people have already said in a stunning location. However, beware the hotel only have a small part of the beach and the beds are very close together. We moved beds every day away from the crowd but had to sacrifice shade. We had a deluxe room in block 5 on the ground floor which was really lovely and very recently refurbished. Food was mixed but you could always find something you liked. Salad in the lunchtime buffet restaurant were amazing. However, where CRT falls down is in the service. Unfortunately, as many reviewers have said Italians get preferential treatment, served first at the beach bar and buffet restaurants. Breakfast and lunch were an interesting experience as this was the first all inclusive hotel we have been to where you cannot select where you want to sit in the buffet restaurant. It took the full 2 weeks for us to get a window seat and my husband had to be quite forceful. Service at breakfast and lunch was the worst, they couldn't cope with any influx of guest and quite often we were waiting 25 minutes for a cup of coffee in the morning while the waiters were fetching expresso,latte etc for the Italian guests. I never managed to get a pot of tea but saw plenty of italians with them. Same at lunch time could be waiting 20/25 mins for a drink. Some of the staff are amazing everyone in the Margarita bar, everyone in the Tapas, Gabriel in the Italian and Aris in the Mexican. The worst experience was a few days before we were due to depart when I waited almost 25 minutes to get served at the beach bar and no less than 5 people arriving after me were served first - yes no prizes for guessing they were Italian. The same evening we tried to eat at the Thai, our names were taken just after 7, we were given no indication there was a long waiting time so we thought all was good. After 45 mins one of the waitresses came to check names/room numbers, shortly after that a steady steam of guest who arrived and put their names down after us were taken in for a table. After 1 hour and 30 mins my husband went to see what the problem was and was told there were still 3 tables before us, even though we could see other guest seated who had arrived after us. My husband asked for the list and sure enough could see guest names below us on the list all ticket off and seated and pointed them out but was still told we had to wait for the other 3 tables to be seated. After 1 hour and 50 mins we gave up and went to the Steakhouse. No apology was given by the staff at the Thai and given our earlier experience in the day it was the nail in the coffin. Thankfully, when we said we had been waiting 1 hour and 50 mins at the Steakhouse and weren't willing to wait again we were seated in 2 mins and had a great experience. Unfortunately, it didn't take away the bad experience at the beach bar or the Thai restaurant. Also Italian's were allowed to smoke at the bars despite the no smoking signs, only saw one waiter enforce the rule. Overall, great location, lovely hotel, amazing beach if you move down the beach a little away from the crowd but service needs to improve massively.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms def the best close to the beach and very recently refurbished.
5  Thank BladeMoya
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at Catalonia Royal Tulum resort. We arrived quite early and as the room wasn't yet ready, the concierge took our luggage while we went to have lunch and walk around the resort.
The first room we got (2nd floor of building 6) had a moldy smell and I called the concierge to request another one since I have allergies. They moved us very promptly to the 3rd floor of the same building and we had no issues there.
The whole resort seems to have a very environmentally conscious attitude which was refreshing:
There were reminders at the bars to opt for no straw in your drink to prevent plastic waste.
There were notices in the shower to encourage re-using the towels and that they will only be replaced if you put them on the floor (although we found that ours were replaces as soon as we used them anyways)
They also had a Christmas tree made of the used plastic water bottle that they collected on the territory, which I thought was an interesting reminder to be mindful of environmental pollution.
The grounds of the hotel are very jungle-like with a path that connects all the buildings to the lobby, restaurants and the beach. There is also a lot of wildlife on the territory, like the coatis, iguanas, all kinds of birds and butterflies and lots of fish both in the ponds and in the sea. There are also notes throughout the territory reminding the visitors to be respectful of the animals and not to feed them.
Coatis and iguanas are quite harmless, but you must remember that they are not pets and may not appreciate if you try to pet them or grab them to pose for a photo. They are wild animals and will not tolerate you invading their personal space.

The Beach was absolutely stunning, much better than at another resort I stayed at (just north of Catalonia). There was plenty of shade and there were always lounge chairs and shady spots available at any time of the day, even though there was quite a number of people on the beach.

The restaurants - we liked them all, food was excellent, service was great with a few hiccups, but they were minor, so we didn't mind much. The hiccups being: on our first day, we went to the lunch buffet restaurant and sat down, but were soon asked to leave as apparently there was a line to get in. We did not realize that because there were lots and lots of empty tables, so that was odd, but never happened again. We then proceeded to the snack restaurant. The service there was a bit slow and the nachos we ordered there were served with cheeze whiz which we also found a bit odd. The seafood, however, was really good there. Like I said, this only happened on our first day and did not repeat again.
All other restaurants were great, we tried them all and the food was delicious and service - excellent.
Also, try the juice bar - Ma Loo, it was the highlight of the resort! Freshly made juices and smoothies right on the beach. I forget the name of the guy that worked there but he made the best fruit smoothies ever!
Location:
it's an hr drive from the Cancun airport, but closer to the various Mayan ruins in the area (Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza). Also, being closer to Tulum it's located on the gorgeous white sandy beach which is not too shallow and not too deep, but just perfect.
People mention lots of smokers on the territory, which is very true, but it did not bother us because we didn't spend much time in the lobby but were rather on the beach and it was quite windy there, so the smoke wasn't an issue. It might be a nuisance if you plan to lounge by the pool all day.
Overall it's a great hotel and we would definitely recommend it to anyone traveling to the Mayan Riviera.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room, they have better ventilation and don't have moldy smell.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia M
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I returned here for a week's holiday Nov. 10-17 after enjoying our first visit about the same time last year. (You can read last year's review here: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g499455-d220209-r145904888-Catalonia_Royal_Tulum-Xpuha_Yucatan_Peninsula.html)

I won't repeat what I wrote in last year's review except to say that all the things we loved about this resort were still there this year: the wonderful jungle path through the resort with coatis, iguanas, fish, birds and agoutis; the fantastic stretch of sandy beach with wonderful swimming and decent snorkelling almost right in front of the resort; and the friendly, hard-working staff.

We noticed a few differences this year, both good and bad.

First, the quality of the food seems to have improved. Last year, we thought that some of the meals we had lacked flavour and/or tasted simply reheated. This year, I had only one meal — at the Mexican restaurant — that didn't taste freshly prepared. We tried every restaurant except for the tapas, and all our other meals were good. Mindful of the couple of disappointing meals I'd had last year, I twice asked waiters to recommend entrees this year instead of just choosing from the menu. Both times I did this, the meal was good. I complained last year about the desserts lacking flavour, but the few I tried this year were better. Foods that I really enjoyed and looked forward to each day at the breakfast and lunch buffets were the ice cream, which is rich and flavourful, breakfast crepes with melted chocolate (the chocolate is excellent!) and the fresh fruit, which generally was ripe and flavourful. A new restaurant this year is the Asian one. We ate there twice. It's small, seating only about 20 people, so be there at opening time if you want to get in.

We had requested a room with a king-size bed on the second or third floor in Buildings No. 3 or 4, which are non-smoking and in the middle of the resort, so you don't have to walk far either to the restaurants or the beach. We were initially disappointed on our arrival to discover we had been given a ground-floor room — 3015. But this room turned out to be just fine. My guess is that they tried to give us a quiet room (we are light sleepers), as I think at least one of the rooms next to us sat empty during most of the week. A couple of nights, we were awoken by people arriving at the room next to us after midnight and then talking loudly or arguing, but otherwise our sleep was undisturbed. And while we were aware of traffic noise from the highway on our second-floor room last year, we heard no traffic noise in our ground-floor room this year. We got the king-sized bed we requested, but while the mattress was comfortable last year, ours had noticeable depressions this year. I checked the label and it was a good-quality, name-brand mattress. It simply was tired and should be retired.

Our maid service last year was excellent, and we found it excellent again this year — during the week. It was substandard on the weekend even though we tipped. On our arrival on the Sunday, I found several black hairs on the shower wall from a previous guest, and on the Saturday before we left we were shorted towels.

Last year, we didn't take in much of the resort "night life," so we decided to give it a try this year. We enjoyed the nightly music in the lobby. There was a different performer or group each night. The funny Mariachi group was a highlight. We attended a couple of the nightly shows afterward but left each after a short time. The entertainers were enthusiastic, but the productions were amateurish. That's OK. I don't expect professional-quality shows at an all-inclusive resort, and it's certainly not the reason I go to this one.

Other reviewers have noted that there seem to be a lot of smokers at this resort, which caters to Europeans. I am a non-smoker and was bothered by the smoke this year though I wasn't last year. There's no smoking in the restaurants or your non-smoking room, of course, but people smoke everywhere else. It may have been more noticeable for me this year due to the weather. We had rainy weather for half of our holiday and so spent more time in the lobby instead of at the beach or pool. Also, humidity was at 100 per cent for most of our stay, and smells carry more in moist air.

The few negatives we experienced this time — even the rainy weather, which was the worst of them — weren't enough to spoil our holiday. We enjoyed it and hope to return next year. We will just try to choose a time of year with a better chance of drier weather.

6  Thank Stratusphunk
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Holidayed @ CRT from 10 to 24th November 2013 as a couple.
From the refreshing fruit juice and cold towels that greeted us on arrival, our stay @ CRT was a delight. Check-in was quick and we were off to our room in moments (large cases were brought a few minutes later by the bellhop). The grounds are beautiful with plenty of jungle foliage and local wildlife to observe. We had requested a top floor room due to issue of darkness in room due to the outdoor foliage, we were disappointed to be allocated a ground floor room, but as it gets dark at 17:00 Hrs this time of year, we were still lounging by the pool or in the beachside Jacuzzis with a cocktail so made no difference in the end as it was dark for all floors by the time we got back to our room.
The bedrooms are a very good size, with wonderful HUGE comfortable bed. Plenty of storage space for clothes, only issue would be the suitcases had to live on top of the tall dresser unit where the TV is as would not fit anywhere else. Bathroom has lovely marble counter with large well-lit mirror and a shaving mirror that extends away from the wall, large walk-in shower cubicle with new towels provided every day (4 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 beach towels a day meant never a soggy towel after a shower, blissful). Every evening the towel art was beautiful.
We ate at La Selva (main buffet) for breakfast each day, omg what a selection they have... everything you could possibly imagine for breakfast and more! Pancakes, French toast, crepes, a whole table of different kinds of bread, cheeses, cooked meats, fresh fruit, cookies, omelettes and fried eggs cooked to order, plenty of selection of hot food... OK so there wasn’t bacon every day, but they had different kinds of sausage, beans, hash browns, fried green banana so plenty there. There were also filled croissants and sandwiches, yoghurts, mimosas and bloody marys, fresh coffee (also cappuccionos etc to order), tea or herbal tea, you could help yourself to fizzy water or sodas from the pumps located on the island where the coffee machine is. I am sure I am missing something here, but you get the idea that there is plenty of variety. If you have an early start, there is coffee, OJ and pastries available in the main lobby.
Lunchtime buffet at the Palapa restaurant near the pool – could be a queue at times... funny to see people waiting for them to open as surely after such a breakfast spread you can’t be that famished? They would take your name and room number and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for a table. Plenty of choice, sushi, salads, soups, cerviche, always something fresh on the grill with chef on hand to cook it, lots of selection for mains, yummy desserts and fresh fruit. Ice cream.... I never did see coconut variety that comes so highly recommended.
As for the a la cartes, we ate at Tao Cat (asian) several times, Tapas place was closed a few evenings due to rain but I highly recommend the chocolate martini from their bar. We ate there once but a few ants did keep getting onto our table off the floor.... price you pay for a location amongst the foliage? Food was lovely, then we went to the Selva restau for a dessert away from the pesky ants. Steak house by pool (is Palapa buffet by day).. we were not overly impressed with the food or service the evening we went there. Mexican was not to our taste... I think they do not have the most inviting selection of Mexican cuisine on the menu, so maybe they could improve on this. We did not eat @ the Italian restau.
Pool bar is great atmosphere. Servers come down to the beach and around the pool to take your orders... does take a while to get your drink but if you don’t want to get off your lounger/ out of the pool it is a great option. There are 2 jacuzzis overlooking the beach, great place for a cocktail as the sun goes down. One is ambient temperature, one is warmer.
Wildlife: you will see many coatis (racoon type cute things), iguanas like to bask in the sun on the paths sometimes, little geckos on the rails of the bridge to the pool.. too quick for photo ops most of the time, beautiful butterflies and birds in the trees. Nothing that will harm you (apart from the mozzies)... I highly recommend you buy a can of “off” in the hotel store as the stuff we brought from the UK was not much use (we had sprays, bands, vit B1 and garlic tabs, cactus juice lotion and still got some bites)... once I had the local stuff hardly got any bites at all.
The towel game is in play over there... but more annoying was people having one bed under a palapa each, and another one each in the sunshine... it’s not too difficult to move a sunbed is it? Or they had 2 beds for people and another one for their shoes and beach bag. Resort can’t control this, but was annoying when they could see people looking for spare beds on busy days and did not volunteer to give up any of theirs. My other half got up early to put our towels out on beds by the pool between 7 + 8, but we only did this on days we would be down there all day, and only took 2 beds. Pool beds have mattress so are more comfortable than beach ones we found. There were usually empty beds by the pool even in the afternoons so you won’t have a problem to find somewhere to lay your head for a snooze in the sunshine.
Lovely selection of cocktails... my fave was Mango Coco (non alco one).. with a nice slug of rum added to it. Nothing is too much trouble for the bar staff down by the pool or in the main Margarita Bar by the lobby.
Vendors selling their wares on pathway few evenings a week. They do start off with silly prices, but the bartering process is all part of the fun on holiday isn’t it? Do be prepared to threaten to walk away and they will be more amenable to negotiations ;-0)
Dive school is excellent. I did the PADI Cavern Diver course with them and some ocean dives too off Puerto Aventuras and the 2-dive day trip to Cozumel (Cozumel trip is good as it is open to snorkelers and divers so my other half was able to come along for the snorkelling too which was a nice change from being left behind @ the resort while I am diving).
Overall a wonderful first holiday in Mexico... and we will be returning in the future for sure.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you do not get a top floor room.... is gets dark really early so we did not use o...
4  Thank tamaraoconnor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
1 mi away
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!