“Magical place” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Magical place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Incredible Caribbean beach, very friendly staff and great food. Peaceful place to really enjoy vacations. There are several a-la-carte restaurants which are also included in the fare. I highly recommend the Spanish Tapas, just make sure you are covered with mosquitos repelent because it is close to a "cenote". Hotel itself is in the jungle, so you will see many cute local animals like iguanas, wild cats and so but they are completely inoffensive.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Georgi_Tsvetanov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a great time at this resort from Feb. 25 - March 3. The resort was at capacity but we were able to upgrade our room to deluxe so that we could be closer to the beach. The front desk is horribly understaffed, but they worked hard to honor our requests. We were greeted with a cold drink and moist towel on arrival.

The restaurants were not crowded and we only had to wait for a table one evening at Tapas. We found the Buffets to be the best food in the resort for all times of day. The crepes were excellent at the breakfast buffet and the mexican specialties on the lunch and dinner buffets were always great. The coffee is nice and strong and they make cappuccinos and espressos as well. They even made me a soy cappuccino (after a little tenacious repeat requesting). The staff here works very hard and tipping is always appreciated. Make sure to bring lots of small bills with you because you can't get change here. They do have an ATM, but it will only dispense pesos.

The winding path through the resort is so charming! It makes your walk to and from the dinner buffet magical. Don't even pack high heels though. We saw some ladies struggling to walk on the stone path and felt sorry for them. This resort is so casual, flip fops at dinner are fine anyway. They allow vendors to set up booths along the walkway in the evening a couple nights each week. We found that this was a great way to find souvenirs for family but we felt a little stressed by the necessary dickering over price. In the end, we got a good deal and nice souvenirs though.

The beach is truly amazing. My friend and I were looking for a very calm and relaxing resort to just sit on the beach all day and read while being served frozen drinks and taking a snorkel now and then to cool off. This was the PERFECT resort to meet our needs! Ingrid was our beach server and she was magnificent! She kept the drinks coming and was very helpful with suggestions for other drinks to try. The hot tub was really nice at the end of the day when the wind picked up and we were feeling chilly, but not quite ready to leave the beach yet (very smart design and location for the hot tub). We didn't use the pool very much, but it it really beautiful and the perfect temperature. We liked the small wading pool with loungers but there was construction nearby and the noise and dust was bad in that area. I'm looking forward to seeing the new area that they are working on when I return next year.

Our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff had fresh towels for us every morning. Then fresh beach towels were delivered every evening while we were at dinner. The only complaint with the room is that the mattress, although brand new, was very firm and gave me a backache. It's probably not too bad if you sleep on your back, but stomach sleepers beware.

If you walk south along the beach a short distance, you will find a very small hotel that has some booths on the beach offering massage (highly recommended! and very inexpensive) and one offering kite boarding. Directly out from that hotel is a very nice reef.

We LOVED this resort and will definitely be back next year! I hope we can bring more family and friends along too.

Room Tip: All the buildings are nice, choose based on preferred location. Buildings 1&2 are near the din...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank karstgeobug
TORONTO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Great resort with one downfall.

Happy with our room, beach, pool, food, overall service and resort grounds.

Complaint - when something goes wrong (people slipping and falling in the buffet due to water dripping from the ceiling) there is no real sense of urgency. To be fair, the leak appeared to be new (no stains on the ceiling) from the afternoon/evening rain, but unfortunately action wasn't taken in a timely fashion. A second person fell within minutes. Afterwards, a simple "How are you?" or "Can we get you anything?" by staff would have gone a long way.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SHARINGmyOPINION
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My friend and I went here for my birthday and it was magnificent. I loved it. For once in my life there were no hangups that were the resort's fault. The resort was beautiful and well kept. We had free wifi in the room. The room, my God the initial impression was awesome. It was so romantic and well kept and clean. I am one of those people who check the sheets and the mattress so yes it was clean. Im so ocd about getting bed bugs in my luggage or me. The grounds were well maintained the beach was a little walk from the room but worth it. Everyone was so friendly and the shows were awesome. The bars were so spot on. All you had to do is tell the exactly what you want. Also we tipped the maid and got the cutest little towel animals and real flowers. AWESOME. The beaches had plenty of seating with covered loungers. The pools were clean and the drinks and food plentiful. I have nothing but great memories from this place. The mariachi band were so nice and wow they were just really talented. I was very impressed. They sang us a couple of songs and took pics with us. I found nothing to complain or be unhappy about and trust me thats a tall order. Read my previous reviews..thats all im saying. Now I rate all other resorts up to their standards. We drank all day there were no limitations, we ate we snacked. No one pestered us about timeshares just nice. It was everything I could ask for.

Room Tip: Dont feed those little raccoon things. I was told they bite. Also if you are surrounded by a group...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rherb27
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was our first time to the Rivera Maya let along the Catalonia Royale Tulum and I must say we loved it. The mix of foliage and ocean was breathtaking. The grounds are kept very clean as it the entire resort. Even the pool bathroom was very very clean with freshly laundered cloth hand towels. I have traveled extensively and been in many AI as well as standard hotels and I don't recall ever seeing cloth hand towels in public bathrooms before and as clean as they were kept.

We arrived on Wed. Feb 26th for a relaxing 7 days to a fruity drink and cool towel. Without them even asking we upgraded to a jr. suite, for no reason but because we were on vacation and wanted to. With that we received a free couples massage , welcome fruit basket, on the third day cheese, fruit and a bottle of tequila. Fourth day fruit and chocolate with sparkling wine with one of the bed loungers reserved.

After checking in we were escorted to our room. For the cost, it was nice, but not what I expected a "true" suite to be and we agree that the mini bar could have been stocked with a little more variety of beers and maybe add some liquor, like rum or something because room service will not deliver drinks, we had to go down to the bar. Nonetheless, still loved it.

The beach / oceanview wasa beautiful but I think that the beach/ oceanview in Negril, JA is takes the prize.

Met some wonderful, fun people during our stay from our home state of MN to Canada to the East Coast. I had read about the Italians being very stand offish, but I don't think that was the case. They would nod in passing or say their hello. They have their culture and we have ours.

Food was great and so were the servers/bartenders. Hats off to Carlos, Fransisco and Jonathon. Thanks for everything.

Had the couple massage. The spa was fantastic as was the massage

The pool was awesome. Perfect temp. That is were we sent most of our time during the day. A couple of walks on the beach but preferred the pool. The towel game is standard as I have seen all other places that I have been. Get up early and secure your spot or take your chances. Most days we had a good spot. If you have a good sense of humor it is funny to watch how territorial people can get though when it comes to their pool location.

All in all we would definitely come back. It takes a lot for me to be able to unwind, and there was no effort in doing that here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Beachy5856
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our second trip to Catalonia Royale Tulum. We enjoyed this stay more than the last. The food is still great. We still haven't tried the Tapas or Italian restaurants. The waiters for breakfast were a little slow with our water and coffee. But we noticed they had a lot of new staff. We tipped them a few dollars and those waiters would make sure we got what we needed. One even got me a teapot full of hot water and milk so I didn't't have to keep asking. We didn't see the coat is for a couple days so thought they'd gotten rid of them. We stayed longer this trip and were so relaxed. We were up early to get sunrise pictures so putting the towels on chaise wasn't't a problem. Drinks are great. Mexican restaurant is the best....I had their corn soup. It was very good. Another night I had the shrimp tacos and they were very good. My husband ordered the appetizer queso.
The Italians were there this year, but they seemed to be a happy group. There seemed to be more Americans and Canadians during our stay. Beach is great. The pool had warm water this year, where last year it was cold. There were no problems this year. If you want a nice quiet relaxing trip to distress go to the Catalonie Royale Tulum. We decide to venture out a little more on our own this year so took the collective to Playa del Carmen twice, and Tulum once. It was lots of fun and cheaper than a taxi. It like I'd you up right in front of hotel on the highway, drops you off on the opposite side of highway when you come back. It's $3 or $30 pesos per person. If you take the collective tAke the one with orange or yellow strip. The blue stripped one charge me more. That's ok, I didn't't give them my business after that. We're going back next year and staying longer. I would recommend the upper rooms. You get better views. I have never smelled a musty smell in either room we've stayed in. But having lived in Hawaii for 5 years, that is pretty normal for tropics. My husband and I were even lucky on two evenings to have the hot tub all to ourselves. What a wonderful place. Now if they would only sell me a permanent room.

Room Tip: Aqua rooms....closer to beach and you'll appreciate the shorter walk aft all day in the sun.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Iluvmexico2014
tampa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

we stayed february 25-March 2nd. We had last stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach and would have returned there but the cost of that resort was out of our range... so we decided to try CRT as we love the beach and from what we read on tripadvisor this resort had a beautiful beach. And oh it is the most beautiful beach.... white soft sand, crystal clear blue warm water... light waves.

We arrived at the resort around 2:00 p.m. and we had taken a van with 2 other couples that were staying at other resorts. We were the last to be dropped off and after seeing the other 2 resorts at drop off... when we saw CRT we were a bit apprehensive... not that great when you pull up. The other thing I noticed was when we dropped the other 2 couples off there were people ready to take their bags, drink was being brought over to them... at CRT we did have that.. we had to meander up to the lobby desk and it didn't appear that they wanted to look at us. But soon enough someone sat us down brought the drink and told us that they wanted to offer us an upgrade to the honeymoon suite ... for $400 usd extra. We said we weren't interested and they said well we are at full capacity so we don't have your room right now go have lunch and come back in an hour. A little annoying but ok. I actually had to ask her "where do we go for lunch" and she said oh just go straight you'll find it... A little annoying but ok.

The buffet lunch restaurant is right by the beach; just beautiful and the food was good .. no complaints; something for everyone. The service is very good.

We went back to the lobby and they ended up giving us the honeymoon suite for no extra charge because that was the only room they had... bags were delivered and the room was very nice ... 6203 building 6 top floor. The rooms here can't compare to Secrets Maroma Beach though. But we were satisfied... clean comfy and good location.

This resort is all about the beach... its awesome; there are sea kayaks, catamaran, snorkeling equipment all free of charge which is great. The pool is just beautiful and it's right near the beach. Beach bar is located right there also good location between pool and beach. Drinks were fine and service was great.

We ate at all the restaurants and the food overall was good not excellent but they try. and the service is really great. We liked the steak dinner and the italian the best. The meandering path through the hotel is so beautiful and we loved the jungle feel.

The crowds seem to ebb and flow here. When we got here it was so crowded and then after 2 days it settled down. Not sure they deal with that very well at the front desk. By day 3 here we both felt absolutely so relaxed and I think the small, quiet nature of this resort helps you just feel wonderfully relaxed and happy.

We probably won't go back as we would like to try different resorts in the Riviera Maya but for the price this one I would recommend to try...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank 414traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#55 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,966 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!