“Honeymoon Bliss” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalonia Royal Tulum

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Honeymoon Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Wow! What a gorgeous hotel and location. My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon here for an 8 day stay and absolutely loved every second. The resort is located about 1 hour and 20 min away from Cancun airport. The ride was enjoyable and went by quickly.

The lobby is large, open air and beautifully decorated. The check in staff was exceptional, they comped us a VIP room with a honeymoon package in the 6000 block which is closed to the beach just because we were celebrating our honeymoon! Everything is conveniently located on the resort and within a 5-7min walk. Rooms are large and spacey with a private bathroom area. Only issue we came across were the beds are very short and certainly not accommodating to taller folk. However, this really wasn't an issue. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very clean. We also appreciated the flat screen tv, daily stocked mini fridge and in room safe. Everything was in good working condition. Biggest bonus there is free wifi everywhere in the resort including the beach and pool areas as well as room!

The pool is stunning and large very clean with lots of chairs.

Breakfasts and lunches were mostly buffet style and satisfying. Dinners at the a la carte restaurants were exceptional! David, Julio and one other female worker who I cannot recall at the Mexican restaurant were excellent! Also Adela the lobby waitress remembered us and always had drinks ready and in front of us before we could even ask!

Finally, the beach. Speechless. Simply gorgeous. Paradise! Very clean, clear water. No rocks or seaweed. We never had issues finding good beach chairs even when we strolled down around 10am. There were lots of beach chairs available at this resort. We were extremely satisfied and are considering returning to this resort or their sister resort with family. I would highly recommend this resort for anyone looking for a romantic getaway!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jules1186

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (945)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have waited over 3 months to collect a just opinion to write about this resort. As a prior guest to the now abandoned Club Maeva Resort, this was a deja-vu visit to the beach we always adored. And sorry to say, this is for the most part this resort offers. I can see a repeat visitors especially the friends, that established this little all-adult place as a meeting grounds, where they enjoy repeat customer attention by well known staff. Well I have my close friends where I live, but when I spend 2000.USD for a couple for a week in Riviera, I expect at least nice bacon for a breakfast and some variation for lunch and diner. No, I am not a foodie, only someone that enjoys cooking and has a educated idea what fresh fish and fruit costs in Mexico. So if you hardly pay enough to staff, at least respect your patrons. That does not seem to be the need as so far in this resort, so this unfortunately was our one time visit. Beach is absolutely gorgeous, I would venture to say with its extension to the fronts of abandoned hotels I rated it as the best in Maya, hands down. But the large majority of patrons have no idea what evening attire for restaurant dinner means. So they can keep this glorified McDonalds to themselves and I will book some place, where I would not look silly wearing long linen slacks for dinner walking into a restaurant, instead Harley shirt and shorts. As much as I appreciated the wonderful staff, hard working, always polite and in the good mood, I will take my 1000 tipping pesos elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
5 Thank Ivan B
Kamas, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort definitely exceeded our expectations. In fact we hope to return again someday soon. This was my perfect idea of a relaxing and beautiful vacation. The resort is beautiful so are the rooms. The food was great. I loved having all the different options for dinner.

The beach was AMAZING! They did a great job of raking the sand every morning. There is such fun snorkeling right in front of the resort. The pools were great, but who wants to spend their time in a pool when they could be in the ocean. This is the place if you are looking for snorkeling, white sand beaches, and beautiful blue turquoise ocean.

The only thing my husband and I didn't like was after hours room service. I think all the food places are closed after 10pm so if you still want to eat something, you get to order room service - cold sandwiches. Which to be honest were great. However, it usually took them about an hour to deliver to our room. Did not love the entertainment, but i didn't come for that.

We visited the Tulum ruins on our vacations. They were awesome to see, if you haven't seen very many ruins before. I recommend planning on swimming in the ocean at the ruins.

Room Tip: Stayed in the building closest to the beach. Can't remember the building number.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
6 Thank JennHarding
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited CRT July 2-13. We didn't do the upgrade or the breakfast for the timeshare and we weren't hassled at all to do so. The first night they put us in room 1208 and wanted to change immediately. It was in building 1 on the 3rd floor right at the top of the stairs. It had 2 queen beds even tho it was only the 2 of us. The ac didn't work right and the theater is very loud at night. They were able to move us the next day to building 3 on the 3rd floor with a king bed! It was perfect! At the bottom of the stairs in each building they have an activity sheet and also the restaurant that will be closed for the night. All of the restaurants we tried were amazing! I really don't get the bad reviews on the food. The mexican, steakhouse and buffet were my favorite. Fajitas at mexican were yummy. I had the tenderloin and my husband had the prime rib at the steakhouse and they were both great! The buffet was great tho because u can try a little bit of everything. Buffet has a Mexican area were he will make u fresh burritos or tacos or anything u want! It also had a pasta area were they make u pasta to order. The ice cream is the best! I found the breakfast to be lacking only because they were usually out of waffles or pancakes and bacon. It did have an omelet station tho so that was nice. Lunch was good at tje snack bar. Pizza, hamburgers, it was all good! Even the room service was awesome! Warm and fresh! It was delicious! Bring bug spray if you are going to the tapas restaurant or the night show. The mosquitos are hungry and they want your blood. They will even get you in the lobby area! The shows were hit and miss but that was ok for us so we can catch up on our sleep. We went to the night show at Xcaret and it was a blast! We did the collectivo to most of the places we went (Xcaret, Akumal, Aktun Chen) and it was so easy to do! 30 pesos per person or $3.50 US so it is cheaper to do pesos. They exchange right in the lobby at an ok rate so that was nice. The atm at the resort is Santander so if you use Bank of America it doesn't charge you anything! We did rent a car one day to go to the Chichen Itza and that was really easy to do. The front desk will put you on the line with the agent and they will come pick you up and drop you off. They use there sister resort right up the street in Puerto Adventura so it was a quick 5 minute drive to get the car. Cars run about $80 per day. Not bad! The only tour we did was the whale sharks and it was amazing! If you get really sea sick take Dramamine the night before and the day of and you should be ok. It was a long day. Pickup at 6 am and drop off at 4 30 pm but it was amazing! I found that the stuff in the gift shop was actually priced good. They have 15% off on Tuesdays and Thursdays so do your shopping then. The vendors that come and set up are a little pushy but I enjoy bartering and if you don't like it just keep walking and it's all good. We never had trouble finding a chair at either the pool or beach. The beach you might have to drag a chair were you want it but no biggy. The drinks are plentiful and delish! House vodka they have Stolis! Whiskey selection not so good but oh well. There were loud times and quiet times at the pool and beach area. Bingo gets annoying after a while. Over all a beautiful resort and of course the beach is the best!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 777EmLo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this hotel and have waited several weeks to write my review because I wanted to think through my overall experiences before putting them out there.

First, the hotel property and beach are some of the best I've ever been to. Fine white sand and perfect water temperature are what make this place! That being said, I'll definitely return to the area, but not to this hotel.

When you're on vacation at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico, there are certain things you come to expect:

1) fresh fruit - choices were minimal, and one morning they didn't have any, not even a banana. We were sad to see mostly canned fruit instead of fresh. I've never been to Mexico where this was an issue.
2) drinks - piña coladas didn't come in a pineapple, or coconut, and it was made from a box, not fresh. Margaritas were also made with a pre-sweetened mix and included very little tequila.
3) dining - I've always enjoyed fresh grilled fish whenever visiting Mexico...that was not the case at Catalonia Royal. The steak restaurant was the only place that offered grilled fish, and there was just the one choice. Most restaurants here had steamed or broiled fish in some of sauce or with a heavy side - again, where is the "fresh" food?
4) staff - not terrible, but not four star either. Could really use some training in people skills - nothing felt "special" and if anything, we felt like we were a bother. Bartenders completely ignored us and even helped other guests when we asked about special drinks he might like to make (c'mon, we're on vacation...have some fun with your guests!).
5) rooms - clean, nothing over the top. We would have loved to take advantage of the "dial-a-pillow" feature, but our phone didn't work. We let the concierge know about our phone, but four days later, it was still out of service and nobody followed up.
6) special requests - make sure you let them know if/what you are celebrating when you check in...we were celebrating our 40th birthdays and even though we had communicated that when we made the reservation, it went ignored - the concierge that we spoke to about the phone did have a banner put on our door the last night we were there, and he sent us a piece of cake (this wouldn't have been the case had we not talked to him about our broken phone).
7) outside trips - don't book through an outside source! We booked and paid in advance through our travel agent and Lomas Travel don't EVER use Lomas). We spent 3 of our 5 days trying to get our Xel-Ha trip set up...it would have been much easier and less time wasted had we just gone through the hotel!

Overall, our trip was a wonderful getaway and we are so happy to have had the experience. Even though we will not spend our money again at Catalonia Royal, we will definitely return to the area...perhaps at a boutique hotel, or a different all-inclusive without the color bracelets (on the last night, when we asked for a specific brand of vodka, we were informed that we didn't have the right color of bracelet for that kind of vodka)!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Jessica Ö
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our 5th holiday to Riviera Maya, but the first without kids. We were looking for a smaller hotel that catered more for adults and this seemed to fit the bill.

We flew from Birmingham with First Choice and upgraded to premium (this is about equal to/very slightly better than BA or Virgin basic economy). We had a hassle free journey and on arrival we were checked in very quickly with a cold drink.

Now it's at this point that the only negative occurred, and it's well documented here on trip advisor. For some really unknown reason now, given all of the negative feedback here, after a 16 hour door to door journey, we were put straight into the hands of a time share salesman by the receptionist before we'd had a chance to finish our drink. He wanted to show us around the hotel and was quite pushy,negative and stroppy when I said I wasn't interested and just wanted to get to the room, get our swim kit on and go for a dip. Management, you must stop this practice now as it really does spoil the first impression of the hotel - it's a massive negative. Anyway, with that over we went to our room.

Room - We booked and paid for an upgraded superior junior suite and it was well worth the extra. It was a large corner room with a large balcony, four poster, living area, tea and coffee, fully stocked fridge with beer, pop, nuts and snack bars. It looked as though it had just been decorated. We were really pleased with it. Also, because we had booked the upgraded room, we had a number of "treats" over the week including a fruit basket, cheese platter, bottle of red and a bottle of tequila. We also had a free him and her 30 minute massage at the spa with unlimited use of the spa facility (sauna and steam room), and, we were able have a la carte breakfasts by the sea and room service. I'd recommend spending the extra on the upgrade. It doesn't really matter which building your room is in, all six look similar, they all face into the jungle, no sea views, and the hotel isn't that big anyway. For example, it took us around 2 minutes to get to reception and 4 to the beach.

Food - Not one bad meal. For breakfast the buffet is great with everything you'd expect. As I said above, the upgraded package enables you to have a la carte breakfast by the sea, we did this a couple of times, all good. Lunch at the buffet, or table service at the pool bar. Dinner at the buffet or one of the speciality restaurants which include Mexican, Steak, Asian, Italian and Tapas. We tried them all and they were thoroughly enjoyable, the great thing is, you don't need to book, you just turn up. If you're really hungry, go to the buffet.

Bars/drinks - The all inclusive seems to cover everything except champagne. We enjoyed numerous beers, cocktails and other alcoholic concoctions at the lobby, pool and martini bars. Our favourites were the pool bar during the day and the martini bar at night - special thanks Jorge for educating us on the art of going through the entire martini menu!

Beach/pool - The pool was nice but you go here for the beach - it's superb. We've been to the best beaches in the world, and this rates right up there. White sand, that turquoise sea, fun waves, sandy bottom, and empty in either direction. It must be a mile long and the hotel sits right in the middle.

Getting around - As we've been to the Riviera Maya so many times, we've done all of the organised trips including Xel Ha and Xcaret (well worth going to). In the past we've also hired cars. This time we used the local colectivos. These are mini busses that travel up and down the main road between Playa del Carmen and Tulum stopping at all the main stops along the road and costing only a couple of pounds. We used these to go to Tulum to see the ruins and go swimming in the sea below them - a must do, followed by watching Mexico win a World Cup group game in a local bar. We also used a colectivo to go to Akumel where we went snorkelling off the beach and swam with ten turtles and stingrays. Both of these trips cost a fraction of the organised trips. We did one organised snorkelling trip to Cozumel that we booked through the on site dive centre. This was a fantastic day trip, an adventure as you travel to Playa del Carmen, then take the fast ferry across the sea to Cozumel, and then board a boat to do two snorkel sessions. There is better snorkelling to be had closer to the hotel, but the whole trip was great and well worth doing. Get some Mexican pesos in the UK before you go to pay for stuff when you're out so as not to get stiffed with exchange rates.

General - The whole ambiance of the hotel is relaxed. It's been very well planned out and you really are staying smack in the middle of the jungle, wild life and all. It's a fairly unique experience for a package hotel on the Riviera Maya. It never seems crowded, and although it's small compared to most other hotels, it is of high quality and has all of the required amenities to have a fantastic beach holiday.

Final words go to the staff. With the exception of the aforementioned time share man, everyone was helpful, polite and efficient - a real credit to Catalonia Hotels - so much so that we may try another Catalonia group hotel in the future.

We will return one day!

Room Tip: Top floor upgraded junior suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
21 Thank ChrisB0
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the CRT from July 4-10. I researched what I could before going. Mainly on this site. Carolyn also sent me a copy of her tip sheet which helped know what to expect.
We arrived via private transportation because we didn't want to stop at other resorts and save that time since it was a little further from the airport. It took about an hour and the cost was a little more but worth it.
When we arrived at the resort after being up for way too many hours we were greeted with a fruity drink and promptly checked in. We were on the look out for the sales guys in white shirts that we had read about. They were there in the front lobby to the right on the front desk. One of these guys nice enough) approached us and started telling us about the resort after he got us both a much needed margarita. He transitioned into something that sounded like a time share that he insisted was not. He was trying to get us to attend a breakfast were we would learn more. We told him we would not return bc we like to go to different places each time. He was a little pushy but backed off once he learned we would not go. Not as bad as I expected and he left us alone the rest of the stay other than a friendly greeting.
Room
We upgraded to the Junior suite and requested an upper floor which they gave us in building 3. Not too far from either the beach or the restaurants. Buildings 5 and 6 are reserved for a further upgrade. Our upgrade did include some extras (fruits one night, wine and cheese one night, and a 30 min massage) which was nice especially the spa which we were allowed to use part of anytime (steam room, hot tub). The room was nice and roomy . The bed was comfortable. We had a pillow menu but never ordered a different one. Shower was big and bathroom was nice. One thing about the upper floor is that we found it a little warm at night. Maid service was very good. Make sure you carry back your beach towels to your room at the end of the day and the maid will come by and exchange it for a fresh one. One day this happened at 10:00pm...
The Italians outnumbered the English speaking people probably 3 or 4 to 1. I've read where some people had one issue or another with them. We did not, except for not being able to converse with them. They do seem to smoke a lot which I don't like being around, but I guess because most everywhere is open to the outside it didn't bother me or my wife.
The staff was eager to please and always greeted me with a smile. They worked hard to make a pleasant experience for guest. We get up early and they were up sweeping, cleaning everywhere. I think they were understaffed at times. On one morning we could get a cappuccino at the pool bar at 7 other days we couldn't. They would also get backed up during busy times but this didn't bother us. The staff kept a friendly attitude through it all.
The food was pretty good. We had the buffet most of the time and had Mexican a la carte twice. The buffet was quick and pretty good with lots to choose from, b'fast a little better than lunch and dinner but still good. It would be nice to have posted some kind of info about what places are open daily and not. We stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya last year and every day the maid would leave a little newsletter about whats going on the next day around the resort. This small thing was nice and useful and could be done at the CRT, I understand all can't be open all the time. We called the front desk each afternoon to find out. It may be posted somewhere but we couldn't find it. We didn't try the room service and didn't have a menu in our room. We could have called for one but spent little time in the room anyway.
Pool/beach
The pool was good size and quiet with lots of thatched umbrellas for shade. The beach was where most congregated. Fine sand and scattered palm trees if you want shade. Sometimes if you show too late its a little hard to find a place. We always were able to find somewhere. A couple of times we gathered empty lounge chairs and drug them to where we wanted to be. The beach was awesome and I couldn't have asked for any better. The water on the beach was relatively calm (yellow flag) and nice enough to cool off or swim if you wanted. The service on the beach and at the pool depended on how many people were there. We got up to get drinks if we needed but a few times somebody would come around and bring us one back within 10-15 minutes or so. There are abandoned resorts/hotels on both sides down the beach. There is one about 1/2 mile down if you walk to the right that we explored some. Empty, abandoned buildings with glass everywhere. plant life overtaking most everything. You could tell at one time it was a decent place. Probably not quite as nice as CRT. Kind of creepy.
Wild life was found all throughout the walk ways in the resort. Coatis where seen every time we were out on the walkway. We saw some people feeding them and in no time a herd of them showed and a few were trying to climb up a lady's beach towel. I heard but didn't see that one bit someone while we were there. Its pretty thick jungle where the rooms and walkways are located. There were also iguanas sunning during the day and some rodent looking animal about the size of a house cat. The grounds were well taken care of and always somebody working on landscaping somewhere on the resort.
We tipped in USD. $1 for a couple of drinks and $2-$4 for lunch and dinner. $3-$5/day for maid depending on our mess. They appreciate the tips. The last day we tipped the lady at the beach $3 for a couple of drinks bc she was so nice and pleasant, from then on she watched how much drink we had and came by with one when we got low. Thanks Aremy!
We really enjoyed our time at the CRT. We were made to feel welcome and appreciated by the staff. Some of the things that I've heard people complaining about were minor and a little picky. If we were this kind of people that frequented the same resort we would come back to CRT but we like the newness of a place and like to explore.

Room Tip: None of the rooms were in a bad location. I think we would have been happy with any of the rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
7 Thank Marcus_Tracey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,866 reviews

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!