“The pros and the cons”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bethany, Oklahoma
“The pros and the cons”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First off, I would recommend booking your travel to and from the hotel through Super Shuttle. The hotel is about an hour from the Cancun Airport. I prepaid for the round trip transportation and they had a man with a sign waiting out front of the airport. I waited about 10 minutes before they loaded me on a van and off we went. It was a shared van, but we only had one other stop. AND THEY WERE CHEAP! They picked us up on time and had us back to the airport on time.

Now as for the hotel. My stay was for 7 days.

I would rate this hotel no more than a three star hotel by Mexico standards. I have stayed at better hotels in Mexico for the same price or less. I would rate this hotel lower, but the beautiful beach and the monkeys you see made me give it an extra start.

The ROOMS are clean and good sized. There was no bath tub in the room, but a large shower. There was plenty of hot water.
The balcony had a white string hammock on it. The hooks moved and I was scared at times they would pull out of the wall and that I would fall, but they did not.

The bed was actually okay. The pillows were also okay. There was a safe in the room. There was also a refrigerator that was "stocked daily" as part of the package. 3 bottles of water, one 7 up, 1 orange soda, 2 pepsi colas, two beers, peanuts and a granola bar. That's all you got unless you went to one of the bars.

I was on the third floor. It was hot in the room during the day without the ceiling flan blowing. During the night it would cool off.

The FOOD was hit or miss. There was always a buffet, but at night there was also a Mexican, Asian, tapas, Italian, and steak restaurant. Some were with air conditioning and others to the open air. You need to spray down insect repellent before heading to the tapas restaurant. It sits next to a small pond and there were lots of mosquitos. Be careful to look over the menu as I saw many people order food and then took small bites and didnt want to finish it.
I have been all over Mexico and have stayed at lots of all inclusive hotels. I wasnt really impressed with the variety or taste of the food. The fruit selection was the worst I have ever encountered. There was watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon most days. One of the seven days they had papaya in place of honeydew. On several days it was just watermelon or cantaloupe and on occasion some pineapple appeared.

The LIQUOR was low end, but worked. The biggest disappointment was the artificial mixers they used. The strawberry daiquiri had no real strawberry in it. It was like a cool-aid daiquiri, very artificially sweet. I actually never saw them put real fruit in any of the alcoholic beverages. There was a "smoothie" bar in which they did make several real fruit drinks. I dont understand why they couldn't do the same with the alcoholic drinks.

The POOL was average. It had lots of strange black stuff in places where there was suppose to be white grout. I did scrape at it and it came off. You wont notice it unless you look. The was a limited number of lounge chairs and most were taken by beach towels by noon.
There was one hot tub that was really hot and another that was full of cold water.

The BEACH was awesome the first three days we were there. The water is clear and there were several shades of blue you could see. Then on the third day came the wave of green kelp. It started collecting on the beach and churned at the entrance of the water. Once you waded through it you were once again in beautiful water. The last day we were there the red flag was up. The waves were much higher. I went out into the water and the sand on the bottom of the seafloor must have moved. The swim area was hard to be in without shoes. Rocks or coral became exposed and everywhere you touched the sea floor you felt a sharp rock under your footing.

I was a stupid person and bought the $150 ROMANTIC DINNER ON THE BEACH. First off, it was suppose be be at 7:30pm and the plato principal didnt come out until 9pm. (no, it wasnt suppose to be that way. they had some confusion) You couldnt see your food to eat it or the beach!!!!!!!!!! Some of it came out cold and the starter tasted like they opened a can of Chicken of the Sea and spread it on a piece of lettuce. The LOBSTER was grilled on a very used grill. So, I hope you like carbon...because that is what your lobster will taste like.

At 9:30pm, the had different "themed" performances. I went to the lipsync/dance off to Broadway hits. Um....I needed more to drink that night.

There was a "Nighclub" on premise. Sorry, but I was in bed before it got going.

The hotel is is not far from Coba, Tulum or many Cenotes. It is also close to XPLOR. City wise you are a ways from anything.

Room Tip: No elevators...just saying. If you dont like stairs, avoid the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank avelonokc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (977)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was a beautiful hotel nestled neatly in a typical jungle forest of the Yucatan peninsula. The hotel and especially the staff exceeded our expectations. We rented a car from the Cancun Airport and we strongly recommend that. Word of warning, make sure you can drive stick shift vehicle, since most of the cars there will NOT be automatic. The drive from Cancun airport to the hotel is very pleasant and takes about 2 hours. You can stop for quick snack on the way in Playa del Carmen or Puerto Aventuras. The car rental gave us the advantage of visiting several sight seeing spots without depending on tour groups or buses. We were on our own schedule and took several short trips to Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza.
The hotel is designed very nicely. There is a short walk to the actual beach but it is great way to enjoy the jungle setting and the numerous wild creatures (coati, iguanas, and even a small capybara). The restaurant options are enough for this type of resort with plenty of options. The entertainment in the hotel was limited and geared mostly towards an Italian group of tourists whose tour operator is one of the bigger accounts for this hotel. The rooms are great and comfortable. The most impressive room quality was the lack of noise anywhere. The employees are the best part of this property - always polite and friendly. The only caveat for us was the check-in procedure where you are shown to a "guest-service" representative, who basically is trying to sell you a time-share deal. These reps will target primarily married American couples, so you can avoid this by saying that you are not married or non-Americans. They will leave you alone and will not try to push their hotel-stay, time-share type of product. The restaurants are very clean and some of the wait staff is very knowledgeable and extremely courteous. Tipping is not allowed usually but it will be a nice gesture if you decide to give couple of bucks here and there. We tipped our room attendant for being very efficient and extremely nice person. The beach is absolutely gorgeous. The pool is also great, but you'll be missing if you don't enjoy the waters and the sand of the beach. Definitely bring bug spray since you will be literally in the middle of the jungle. Another word of advice if you rent a car, please bring some cash because from all our daily trips we learned that almost all the gas stations will accept only cash and no credit cards.

Room Tip: The best rooms will be the ones located in the middle, because sometimes you will hear loud music fr...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Google U
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Wow! What a gorgeous hotel and location. My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon here for an 8 day stay and absolutely loved every second. The resort is located about 1 hour and 20 min away from Cancun airport. The ride was enjoyable and went by quickly.

The lobby is large, open air and beautifully decorated. The check in staff was exceptional, they comped us a VIP room with a honeymoon package in the 6000 block which is closed to the beach just because we were celebrating our honeymoon! Everything is conveniently located on the resort and within a 5-7min walk. Rooms are large and spacey with a private bathroom area. Only issue we came across were the beds are very short and certainly not accommodating to taller folk. However, this really wasn't an issue. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very clean. We also appreciated the flat screen tv, daily stocked mini fridge and in room safe. Everything was in good working condition. Biggest bonus there is free wifi everywhere in the resort including the beach and pool areas as well as room!

The pool is stunning and large very clean with lots of chairs.

Breakfasts and lunches were mostly buffet style and satisfying. Dinners at the a la carte restaurants were exceptional! David, Julio and one other female worker who I cannot recall at the Mexican restaurant were excellent! Also Adela the lobby waitress remembered us and always had drinks ready and in front of us before we could even ask!

Finally, the beach. Speechless. Simply gorgeous. Paradise! Very clean, clear water. No rocks or seaweed. We never had issues finding good beach chairs even when we strolled down around 10am. There were lots of beach chairs available at this resort. We were extremely satisfied and are considering returning to this resort or their sister resort with family. I would highly recommend this resort for anyone looking for a romantic getaway!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jules1186
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have waited over 3 months to collect a just opinion to write about this resort. As a prior guest to the now abandoned Club Maeva Resort, this was a deja-vu visit to the beach we always adored. And sorry to say, this is for the most part this resort offers. I can see a repeat visitors especially the friends, that established this little all-adult place as a meeting grounds, where they enjoy repeat customer attention by well known staff. Well I have my close friends where I live, but when I spend 2000.USD for a couple for a week in Riviera, I expect at least nice bacon for a breakfast and some variation for lunch and diner. No, I am not a foodie, only someone that enjoys cooking and has a educated idea what fresh fish and fruit costs in Mexico. So if you hardly pay enough to staff, at least respect your patrons. That does not seem to be the need as so far in this resort, so this unfortunately was our one time visit. Beach is absolutely gorgeous, I would venture to say with its extension to the fronts of abandoned hotels I rated it as the best in Maya, hands down. But the large majority of patrons have no idea what evening attire for restaurant dinner means. So they can keep this glorified McDonalds to themselves and I will book some place, where I would not look silly wearing long linen slacks for dinner walking into a restaurant, instead Harley shirt and shorts. As much as I appreciated the wonderful staff, hard working, always polite and in the good mood, I will take my 1000 tipping pesos elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ivan B
Kamas, Utah
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort definitely exceeded our expectations. In fact we hope to return again someday soon. This was my perfect idea of a relaxing and beautiful vacation. The resort is beautiful so are the rooms. The food was great. I loved having all the different options for dinner.

The beach was AMAZING! They did a great job of raking the sand every morning. There is such fun snorkeling right in front of the resort. The pools were great, but who wants to spend their time in a pool when they could be in the ocean. This is the place if you are looking for snorkeling, white sand beaches, and beautiful blue turquoise ocean.

The only thing my husband and I didn't like was after hours room service. I think all the food places are closed after 10pm so if you still want to eat something, you get to order room service - cold sandwiches. Which to be honest were great. However, it usually took them about an hour to deliver to our room. Did not love the entertainment, but i didn't come for that.

We visited the Tulum ruins on our vacations. They were awesome to see, if you haven't seen very many ruins before. I recommend planning on swimming in the ocean at the ruins.

Room Tip: Stayed in the building closest to the beach. Can't remember the building number.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JennHarding
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited CRT July 2-13. We didn't do the upgrade or the breakfast for the timeshare and we weren't hassled at all to do so. The first night they put us in room 1208 and wanted to change immediately. It was in building 1 on the 3rd floor right at the top of the stairs. It had 2 queen beds even tho it was only the 2 of us. The ac didn't work right and the theater is very loud at night. They were able to move us the next day to building 3 on the 3rd floor with a king bed! It was perfect! At the bottom of the stairs in each building they have an activity sheet and also the restaurant that will be closed for the night. All of the restaurants we tried were amazing! I really don't get the bad reviews on the food. The mexican, steakhouse and buffet were my favorite. Fajitas at mexican were yummy. I had the tenderloin and my husband had the prime rib at the steakhouse and they were both great! The buffet was great tho because u can try a little bit of everything. Buffet has a Mexican area were he will make u fresh burritos or tacos or anything u want! It also had a pasta area were they make u pasta to order. The ice cream is the best! I found the breakfast to be lacking only because they were usually out of waffles or pancakes and bacon. It did have an omelet station tho so that was nice. Lunch was good at tje snack bar. Pizza, hamburgers, it was all good! Even the room service was awesome! Warm and fresh! It was delicious! Bring bug spray if you are going to the tapas restaurant or the night show. The mosquitos are hungry and they want your blood. They will even get you in the lobby area! The shows were hit and miss but that was ok for us so we can catch up on our sleep. We went to the night show at Xcaret and it was a blast! We did the collectivo to most of the places we went (Xcaret, Akumal, Aktun Chen) and it was so easy to do! 30 pesos per person or $3.50 US so it is cheaper to do pesos. They exchange right in the lobby at an ok rate so that was nice. The atm at the resort is Santander so if you use Bank of America it doesn't charge you anything! We did rent a car one day to go to the Chichen Itza and that was really easy to do. The front desk will put you on the line with the agent and they will come pick you up and drop you off. They use there sister resort right up the street in Puerto Adventura so it was a quick 5 minute drive to get the car. Cars run about $80 per day. Not bad! The only tour we did was the whale sharks and it was amazing! If you get really sea sick take Dramamine the night before and the day of and you should be ok. It was a long day. Pickup at 6 am and drop off at 4 30 pm but it was amazing! I found that the stuff in the gift shop was actually priced good. They have 15% off on Tuesdays and Thursdays so do your shopping then. The vendors that come and set up are a little pushy but I enjoy bartering and if you don't like it just keep walking and it's all good. We never had trouble finding a chair at either the pool or beach. The beach you might have to drag a chair were you want it but no biggy. The drinks are plentiful and delish! House vodka they have Stolis! Whiskey selection not so good but oh well. There were loud times and quiet times at the pool and beach area. Bingo gets annoying after a while. Over all a beautiful resort and of course the beach is the best!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 777EmLo
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this hotel and have waited several weeks to write my review because I wanted to think through my overall experiences before putting them out there.

First, the hotel property and beach are some of the best I've ever been to. Fine white sand and perfect water temperature are what make this place! That being said, I'll definitely return to the area, but not to this hotel.

When you're on vacation at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico, there are certain things you come to expect:

1) fresh fruit - choices were minimal, and one morning they didn't have any, not even a banana. We were sad to see mostly canned fruit instead of fresh. I've never been to Mexico where this was an issue.
2) drinks - piña coladas didn't come in a pineapple, or coconut, and it was made from a box, not fresh. Margaritas were also made with a pre-sweetened mix and included very little tequila.
3) dining - I've always enjoyed fresh grilled fish whenever visiting Mexico...that was not the case at Catalonia Royal. The steak restaurant was the only place that offered grilled fish, and there was just the one choice. Most restaurants here had steamed or broiled fish in some of sauce or with a heavy side - again, where is the "fresh" food?
4) staff - not terrible, but not four star either. Could really use some training in people skills - nothing felt "special" and if anything, we felt like we were a bother. Bartenders completely ignored us and even helped other guests when we asked about special drinks he might like to make (c'mon, we're on vacation...have some fun with your guests!).
5) rooms - clean, nothing over the top. We would have loved to take advantage of the "dial-a-pillow" feature, but our phone didn't work. We let the concierge know about our phone, but four days later, it was still out of service and nobody followed up.
6) special requests - make sure you let them know if/what you are celebrating when you check in...we were celebrating our 40th birthdays and even though we had communicated that when we made the reservation, it went ignored - the concierge that we spoke to about the phone did have a banner put on our door the last night we were there, and he sent us a piece of cake (this wouldn't have been the case had we not talked to him about our broken phone).
7) outside trips - don't book through an outside source! We booked and paid in advance through our travel agent and Lomas Travel don't EVER use Lomas). We spent 3 of our 5 days trying to get our Xel-Ha trip set up...it would have been much easier and less time wasted had we just gone through the hotel!

Overall, our trip was a wonderful getaway and we are so happy to have had the experience. Even though we will not spend our money again at Catalonia Royal, we will definitely return to the area...perhaps at a boutique hotel, or a different all-inclusive without the color bracelets (on the last night, when we asked for a specific brand of vodka, we were informed that we didn't have the right color of bracelet for that kind of vodka)!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Jessica Ö
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Maya Royale
Ocean Maya Royale
#48 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!