“Love XpuHa !”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
LYNCHBURG
“Love XpuHa !”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

30 years ago, during a trip to Playa del Carmen, we saw a cardboard sign on the highway that said XPU HA, with an arrow toward the ocean...we took it, and happened upon the most beautiful beach...we were the only people there and went daily during our stay in Mexico. It is now a resort...BEL AIRS XPU HA...and we stayed there for a week in Feb. It would be a perfect place for a family with young children, as there is small zoo on the grounds! 2 lions, 2 tigers, 2 cougars, chimps, large turtles, and an aviary where you can wander at will. Such a great learning experience for children!
A large , long pool, wandering toward the ocean, to a "beach" that is rocky, so they have transportation to the XPU HA beach thAt we found so long ago!
It seems as though a hurricane destroyed quite a bit of the resort, but what is left is lovely. "Rooms" are individual Round cabanas, one room on the ground floor, and the second floor houses another room with a veranda and a hammock,chairs, and lounge chairs....and in the room proper, is a flat screen tv with a fair number of English channels, comfortable beds, and an in room hot tub!
I never was able to access wi-fi in my room, but could in the restaurant, and lobby.
There was one restaurant, with a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a pool snack bar for drinks and burgers and hot dogs, and a sushi and martini small restaurant.
We had rented a car, so could go to the beach at will, and didn't have to wait for a ride back to the resort.
Met some younger people who were a little disappointed at the lack of entertainment, and shows, but still had a good time.
I would go here again, but I am 64 and happy for the slow pace. As I said earlier, I think this would be a great place for a family with young children, and older folks wanting a quiet place with a lot of character...they have small 8 seat golf cart like vehicles that come frequently to transport you from place to place. The have all inclusive as well as European plans. I loved it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lassue09
Jorge R, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Ms. LYNCHBURG,

Thank you for your review. The details you describe are what distinguish us from other hotels and we are very proud when we read comments like yours. I'll not hesitate to get your comments to all our staff because they are a very important motivation for all who work here.

Also, let me tell you that I have taken note of your comments related to Animation staff and will be taking the necessary to change the activities.

Thank you again for your visit and for your feedback.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Finnish first
Cobble Hill, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I know this is a little late but better late that never, especially with not much information out there on this resort. We went here from Feb 1-12, 2014 as a spur of the moment cheaper holiday. Sorry its so long but there isn't much info on this place
We arrived at night and check in went smoothly. We were taken to our room in the 400 block villas. It was the closest to the dining hall and pools. Each "block" consists of about 8 villas which only have two suites in each one. An upper unit and a lower unit which we found was pretty soundproof. The upper rooms had thatched roofs. Each suite had 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs and a table as well as 1 hammock in its own private deck. Each room also has a jacuzzi tub.
Once we got settled into our room we noticed we did not have a TV or phone. We went for to the front desk and asked them if we could get one. They said they would. We went for a nice buffet dinner and upon arrival back to our room we noticed we got a TV but no phone. For our first couple days we had problems with our safe which would require us to constantly go up to the front desk as we still had no phone to call them with. I think we finally got that after 6 days. The safe finally resolved itself but or key cards would constantly fail too which required many trips up to the front desk again. Our room was never really cleaned. When we arrived there was a lot of long black hair on the floor throughout the room as well as a used earplug which stayed there for two days before I asked for his broom to sweep my own floor. He did do towel animals for us though.
Now for the food... well we were there for the all inclusive. When we got to the buffet they would always ask you for your room #. Then after your meal would bring you a bill, which you would have to write your room #, print your name and then sign. We were a little apprehensive as were all the new combers. Turns out they off the all inclusive, B&B, and European plan. They keep track that way. The other thing we found out was on the bill you can leave a tip. That tip is split 70% for the server and the 30% is split amongst the rest of the staff, so I am told. If left for the server they keep it all. The first few days we did enjoy the all inclusive buffet meals BUT then things started changing daily. First to disappear was the buffet dinner, only menu food was available. There were always about 5 -6 options of appy's, salad, soups, meals and desserts. The food was good except for the veal. After about the 6th or 7th day the buffet lunches disappeared. They said it was because it was slow and they didn't know when the buffet would be up and running again. Like I said the food was good on the menu but after the same options for a week my husband said I can't believe I could be sick of prime rib. The snack shack offered hamburger, hot dogs with fries, chicken wings and apparently chicken nuggets and tacos which I did not see. The Sushi Bar was good even though I don't care for sushi. It had lots of choices and found most didn't have seaweed, perfect. It is a must to go there.
The Swim up/pool bar was nice. It had seating on both sides so you could follow the sun or stay out of it too. A few of the seats had some missing tiles on them. When we were there the bartender was Job (pronounced Hob). I big Kudos to him. He was very friendly, sociable and always had a big smile. He made the atmosphere around the swim up bar great. He took his job seriously by making sure your drink was drinkable, Very professional. The lobby bar was a little cold and not very inviting. The activation was ok only because of Hector. Another great guy that made it fun to be around the pool. A real bubbly personality and a big smile. The pool also has a whirlpool area inside the pool. There was also a separate kids pool with water park that looked fun. We also enjoyed the mexican music they played.
The beach is small and is not sandy. Out front it is all dead coral. We did crunch along in our water shoes and went swimming. They do have a few options for relaxing by the ocean via loungers and beds. The beach to the left at the Barceló is a nice beach to throw a towel on. We did that and then went swimming and snorkelling. There is some snorkelling out from to the Barceló and under the dock. They also have a beach club a short drive away. You go up to the lobby and every 30 min they would shuttle you back and forth. They did serve alcohol but as for snacks it was either cevieche or a small ham sandwich. We only went once. The beach is nice and they do have loungers. There is also a place where you can go for lunch or for a drink if you want to do that at your own expense.
They have an animal park here as well. Yes, some pens are not fair to the animals but then some have it pretty good. The Chimp's and Panther pens were heartbreaking. The others kind of resembled their habitat. I heard a few comments how they didn't have water but then you have to kind of think, do they have water bowls in the wild. They did look healthy, just small quarters.
Would we go back? Only if they went back to the buffet with the option of the menus on certain days possibly. We enjoy the small resorts, although we did like the option to take the trolley that would come around every so often. We also liked that it was a short walk to the highway to catch the colectivo.

3 Thank lilscape
Dear Ms. Lilscape,

Never is too late to receive valuable feedback from our guests. Comments like yours allow travelers to have a broader vision what they are looking for. In Bel Air Xpu Ha work together to make the stay of our guests an unforgettable experience. It makes me happy to know that a good memory of your trip takes.

I also appreciate the comments kindly makes us the sole purpose of helping us improve our service.

I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

General manage
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at Bel Air the end of February and experienced overall poor service.

First of all, if you are looking for cheap transportation from the Cancun Airport to Bel Air, I recommend using the ADO bus that will drop you off at Playa Del Carmen (about $25 total for 2). The ADO shuttle is located right out of the airport past the people trying to get you to use their transportation. It is a red shuttle bus with a staff on the street that will give you your ticket. When you get dropped off in Playa, use the Collectivo Shuttle that runs 5am-12am. They pick up at the intersection of 15th ave north and 2nd North (about $3-$4 per person).

Upon arrival at Bel Air we were greeted with great service from Aldo. He is very knowledgeable. A majority of the staff seem to have incorrect information and this can be frustrating at times. Many staff gave off the feeling that vacationers paying to stay there were bothersome when asking for any service. Towels in our hotel room were not replaced and had to be asked for (this seemed to be common because staff were looking for a tip), toilet paper had to be asked for, and housekeeping would normally show up in the late afternoon hours. If you do not know Spanish, staying at Bel Air will be challenging.

The resort is very different because of the jungle atmosphere and animals everywhere. That was pretty cool and everything was very pretty. We liked that every room has a balcony and they are laid out more like small condo's. On a side note the complimentary free Wi-Fi only seems to work in the lobby. We could not get it to work in our room.

You will need to take a shuttle that the Bel Air provides to get to their beach. The shuttle runs every 20-30 minutes and is a first come first serve basis. Note that the shuttle stops running at 5pm. The beach is shared with Catalonia Resort. There, Bel Air does have a small bar and offer sandwiches. The service while at the beach was excellent. We did try to walk down the beach back to Bel Air instead of taking the shuttle and this will not work. There was a Catalonia staff there to greet us where their property ends who would not let us continue.

We chose to not spend much time at the pool on the resort because of the service and the atmosphere. One day there was a staff trying to get the handful of people there to play bingo and seemed more like a retirement home environment. The bartenders at the swim up bar were not very inviting. They did not seem to enjoy being there which can make you feel like you are bothering them to get a drink. Also, anytime you order a drink or food you have to give them your room number and sign. This seems like a poor system. There is a beach area by the pool but it doesn’t come close to comparing to the beach you are shuttled to.

The food was so-so. I know Bel Air advertises a restaurant with an Italian Mexican Fusion but what this really is is a buffet with mostly Italian and a little Mexican food. I did think the food they offered was good but was not what was advertised. The service we received from Sebastian was excellent. I never experienced their breakfast buffet so no help there. The snack bar they have by the pool is pretty disappointing. If you like hamburgers, wings, chicken fingers, and fast food quality you will like it. Bel Air advertises 7 restaurants but that too is misleading. There is one main restaurant, the pool snack bar, and a sushi restaurant. I never thought there was such a thing as bad sushi until we experienced this place. The rolls are all rice and the rice mostly resembles a paste. The only sushi that they offer is shrimp and tuna.

The night life at Bel Air is pretty disappointing. The only bar that is open after 5pm (excluding the restaurants) is the Lobby Bar. Basically if you are looking for some more excitement, Bel Air may not be for you. There too the bartender seemed bothered anytime you order a drink. We are 100% positive their bottles of liquor are watered down. I am not one who has a big tolerance but was somehow able to drink double drinks all day with next to no effect until I had a couple beers.

I saw in other reviews that the check out process was poor but I thought it was very smooth and fast. We needed to leave at 4:30am. Bel Air had a taxi ready and staff there 20 minutes prior to pick up luggage.

In my opinion this resort may be better for families and a 50+ crowd.

1 Thank Amanda C
Dear Ms. Amanda,

Thank you for your detailed review. We sincerely apologize for the service issues you experienced during your stay in our Hotel. I have reviewed your comments with the heads of each department involved to ensure this doesn’t happen again. We continually strive to provide a quality service. Read your comments let us clearly understand that we don’t meet your expectations and we offer you a sincere apology for that.

I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at this resort for 7 days in February 2014. It is a small relaxing resort. We found the staff very friendly, the rooms (look like huts) were clean and the beds very comfortable. The cleaning personal spectacular. The balcony was large and had a wonderful hammock. My favorite place! The pool area was very clean and inviting, never had to worry if there were available loungers. The weather was wonderful and the sounds of nature all around you was very intoxicating. The zoo animals were amazing to see everyday. We walked a lot and enjoyed all aspects of the resort. At night you can go and enjoy a drink in the lobby bar. There are no shows, no dancing, no late night parties. This was quite fine with us. We took a bus into Playa and Tulum, always felt very safe. Unfortunately we have a couple of complaints the biggest one being the food. Breakfast was alright as we would have toast, omelet, some fruit.......lunch and supper were either order off the menu or a buffet was sometimes offered. It didn't take long to get tired of the menu food and there weren't many options available in the buffet and the foods were not very appetizing. Also having to take a shuttle to get to the beach was bothersome as they only ran once every hour. On the flip side, once you were on the beach it was well worth the wait. Last is the mystery ATM. We were told it was broken, however I don't think they even have one. When our week was up we were NOT ready to leave the beautiful weather, gorgeous beach and relaxing atmosphere. Would we go again.....yes, however I would probably bring a jar of peanut butter along!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Kris M
Dear Mr. Kris,

Thank you for writing a review and for choosing Bel Air Xpu-Ha for your vacation. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.
As you said, we offer a variety of activities and I am pleased to hear that I enjoy them.

Thank you again for your feedback and for your preference.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 9 days and apart from the food and a few issues with room service I would say that it was an okay hotel. Food was terrible it was the worst ever. Even the Japanese restaurant did not have much to shout about. There was hardly any vegetarian options apart from salad and on most occasions it was mixed with ham or some left over meat from the lunch time menu. Sometimes it was the same old food again and again. On several occasions I requested a safety deposit box and was told by Aldo that I would get one but I did not. On the website it states that there is a money exchange facilities at the hotel but when I asked they informed me that they didn't offer that at all but they did have a cash point however that was out of order and it stayed that way until I left.
The hotel had a free shuttle that took guests to and from the local beach for free but I didn't find this out until the end of my holiday. Maybe they should have put that info on their welcome /information sheet. The zoo at first is amazing especially when u see the vast amount of animals they have but when you go round again you feel sorry for them being cooped up in their small boxes. Room service / cleaners often didn't come until late afternoon by which time I felt as though I had to stay awake to let them in otherwise when I didn't answer the door no one would come. Repeatedly had to ask for my mini bar to be stocked even the basics like tea coffee and water was hard to get. Its not to say I didn't have a good time, I did, the staff were very friendly and I made some great friends but I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a 4* star hotel it needs a lot more to attain that standard.

Room Tip: You can't get a good room I complained about a massive hole in my front door they said all rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an excellent stay at the Bel Air. The staff were friendly and the room was large and comfortable. If we had paid a lot for the accommodations we would have had some complaints (wifi not working in room, animals in ceiling, chewy meat, beeping smoke alarm in restaurant, cold coffee, inconsistent room cleanings, etc.), but overall there was little to complain about...The weather was amazing, the large balcony was lovely, the pools were nice and the beach (via shuttle) was breathtaking! The Bel Air isn't the Four Season's but it's a charming little gem that we will certainly return to. Hey, it's The Bel Air!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Lailalai
Kitchener
Reviewed 24 February 2014

First of all I have to say I am a firm beleiver that wherever you go, there you are. That said, my friends and I have a good time wherever we go because thats just who WE are. This resort does not provide you with shows, entertainers and discos as other resorts do. If thats your thing, you wont find it here. It is a quiet place, full of Beautiful animals, vegetation and a cenote that makes you appreciate the nature of it rather than a party scene. But we still partied and had fun, made friends and were treated excellent.
We stayed for 1 week, all inclusive and arrived around 10:30pm. We were immediatley assigned our room and told to hurry for dinner as the buffet was still open, but not for long. We dropped our bags at our rooms and were driven down to the restaurant. Buffet was good, great choices and we were impressed. Wine was also very good. After that we found our way to the lobby to close the night with drinks where we found Thomas, the usual lobby bartender we shared many conversations and good laughs with every night Then we headed into the gorgeous rooms for our first night. We awoke to sounds of animals roaring, birds and lizards chirping. Exciting! So many animals to see as we made our way down to breakfast it took us an hour to get there due to exploring.
Breakfasts were always terrific with many fruits, hot griddle made-to-order and other good sides and pastries.
Lunches around the pool were wings, cheeseburgers, nachoes, pizza etc. ALL very good.
Carlos was always hopping to make sure we had fresh drinks and whatever else we needed he attended to.
Dinners were sometimes buffet, sometimes menu and the Menu had a LOT to choose from. We allowed our favorite host to order for us and wow did we feast! Several courses later....stuffed. Thank you Genero and we miss your humor and fun as well our favorite waiter Marcelino. We never waited for anything with these guys watching over us and we only enjoyed our dinners when they were serving us. Sebastin also did a good job. Thanks guys!!!
Sushi restaurant was a dud for us, waited way too long and didnt like what we got, so we stayed with what we knew and had a great dinner every night.
Went to the beach via the van, a ten minute ride tops. There was a beautiful beach and an area just for guests of Belair. We had our cold beers and ceviche and sandwiches served either right to us or we went to the little hut. Either way, we were well taken care of and the beach here is gorgeous for swimming and a little action too for shopping, restaurants and music
In the mornings between 6-8am the lobby has some coffee and pastries/fruit out for you and I enjoyed going myself, pouring a coffee and walking the grounds and looking at all the animals. This was great alone time and there is so much here to discover in the lobby and all the grounds. At 3pm everyday, there is a show for free if you are a guest and it was adorable and fun to see. So glad we went. Very informative and interactive, the trainers did a great job.
Now to get around this resort as it is VERY spread out, there are at least 5 or 6 different carts zipping all around and you just have to wave at one or wait for one to come to take you all about. If you are lucky, you will ride with Ricardo and he is the funniest driver and speaks great English. But he is NOT crocodile food. (inside joke) All of the rooms are gorgeous just as advertised in the pics. All seem the same. Always cleaned and restocked daily. Nice to sit on your porch and chill for a bit and comfy beds. Room has a free safe to use also. TV, but who cares about that?
The lobby staff is very helpful, we took many trips off the resort, there is SOOO much to do in this area. We went to the Puerto Aventuras, XCARET and Playa Del Carmen. Had a great time every where we went and we just took taxis to and from. Felt very secure everywhere we went. This is one of the best vacations we have had and weve been going to Carribean for 20 yrs. Why? The resort is beautiful, we love animals, the workers were awesome, food was good, discovered new awesome drinks (try a mango tango) and the entire Mayan Riviera is beautiful itself so much to do. Recommend - yes. But I know people are all different and may not see what we saw as a gem in the jungle. But thats ok, grumpy high expectationstype people can stay away because we plan to return!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same. Top ones can be a little louder as I compared with other guests.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ONYoyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,789 reviews
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
#78 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 12,291 reviews

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!