After reading many reviews regarding Bel Air we were very skeptical, however we were out for a quiet adventure NOT the boisterous people and loud music and we got it. You must remember this is an ecopark not a exclusive spa resort. Many complained about the thatched roof (authenticity), leaves and branches (windy), your in a jungle atmosphere, I loved the birds in the morning, some don't, don't stay here. We had a monsoon rain for 10mins at one point, it was an adventure not an inconvenience......the stay was fun.
Our arrival, after leaving in a snow storm, delayed at airport, delayed at entry, long bus drive our check in was a snap. A bell boy transported us to our palapa room (upper room), showed us how everything worked and directed us to the restaurant. It was dark so it was weird following on a lighted pathway through basically a jungle theme, it worked....
Restaurant... Breakfast omelet's were awesome, potatoes, scrambled eggs, beans, pancakes...etc. Fruits always available. Mexican & Italian food was the main event with some American flair included. Each night was different, however every night you could order fish, shrimp, steak and/or pork chop cooked in front of you. We really enjoyed that feature... bread, rolls abundant. 4/5 choices of desserts or take one of each, they were scrumptious. We enjoyed the food and lots of wine. Open from 7 to 12, Lunch 1-5, Dinner 6 - 10.
Rooms... Our room was clean, large, grand jacuzzi, king size bed, great mattress, body pillows along with down pillows, large deck with hammock, 2 beach chairs, 2 cane chairs and a table. Only once did we ever ask for anything....the room was always done to perfection. We always had hot water, not bathroom mishaps, towels etc....great, mini bar refreshed each day too.
Pool... Open 9-5, Hector was the activity coordinator, great guy. Very informative. Snack bar open 10 - 5, serve hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, french fries and pizza. 3 days out of our 7 the chef served poolside mexican dishes....great feature. Thick, plush beach towels were provided each day, music always in the background. Sushi /martini bar was located far end of pool. You could sign out a bike for free and return by 5pm. During your trail walks a small snack bar and gift shop are located in lobby bar area also another shop by front desk.
Lobby Bar... very spacious. Some nightly activity from 8:30 to 11 each night, not a music group, it was fun entertainment for you to join in....salsa dancing, music trivia, casino night....Great service from waiters, we basically had 2 - Saulo and Tomas. Tomas was there the most, he was awesome, very informative and great personality. Very attentive to his job and patrons. Loved the chandelier, astronomy planets, the way of the mayans. Beautiful. Coffee, tea & muffins served for 2 hours in the morning.
Features... ANIMALS....puma, bengal tigers, lion, monkeys ( many types ) gorillas, crocodiles, etc...and this beautiful aviary....the birds were stunning. Igunanas scatter everywhere. Monkey's in the trees and McCaws all around the sanctuary. Kayaking was wonderful, the water is crystal clear and we were lucky, we saw the manatees, ( massive 2-3 meters in length and weighed about 200 to 300kg ) her two babies were there but we could not see them....around the lagoon was part of the devastation from Hurricane Emily in 2005. So being a curious onlooker, we walked around the beach front area towards the other side and the loss was massive. The large hotel itself debilitated, the rooms destroyed.....it's too bad. Not sure why they did not renew the entire area however the animal sanctuary that exists now is smaller area but wonderful. Lots to see! Even a show at 3pm....small but very entertaining.
For beach lovers there is only a rocky water area, you would really need shoes if you chose to go in. There is a shuttle to take you to another beach just minutes away. We did not use this so no info. Beachfront chairs, beautiful waters, 30 degrees, and all the cervaza you can drink and tequilla....and intoxicating cocktails.... we thoroughly enjoyed our time, met some amazing people from all over the world which surprised me.
The hotel is in the process now of doing some upgrading which looks really good. We plan to go back to Mexico, maybe not this resort ( just trying something different ) we would recommend this for a quiet, adventurous vacation. Would love to see it when renos are completed.
Check out - again. a snap....completed a comment card, bracelets cut and we were picked up by bus to return to the airport. Ivan was our bell boy, he was a newby, spoke fluent English and had a great personality.
All this being said, we enjoy the outdoors, nature. I do enjoy being pampered to a degree and the staff were always gracious, prompt and always smiling. That we really liked. When we checked in we received a photo copy of the layout, a little blurry, hard to read.....my recommendation is to hard copy the layout with the hours of operation of each area and also activities that take place. We learned only by word of mouth about some things that were happening & some we missed due to that reason. Maybe a Friday or Saturday night music band. The restaurant....we enjoyed it however it could use more variety, became tiresome. There is a menu and we only found that out the day we left. Transportation on the golf carts, more often....10 -15 sometimes turned into 30 - 45......Consistency...best recommendation for any business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bel Air Xpu-Ha is the newly open Resort of Bel Air Collection at Riviera Maya. Feel with your family the natural environment, the perfect place to rest and delight yourself. A unique place for a romance experience. Enjoy our facilities surrounded by natural beauty in an eco-paradise. A gourmet experience in each of our restaurants, from Mexican-Italian fusion cuisine to sushi & martini delightful Japanese style, all in a la carte menu selection. Premium brand drinks and appetizing snacks in our Bars at Lobby and pool area. A unique layout of a cozy and peaceful guestrooms in liberate getaway with all the luxury and comfort of a five stars resort, refurbished indoors with jacuzzi and branding amenities; a relaxed exterior and a spacious terrace with hammock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya Hotel Xpuha
- Xpu Ha Palace Xpuha
- Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya Mexico - Xpu-Ha