“More than expected”
Review of Duck Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aquinnah
Duck Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Aquinnah B&B and Inns
“More than expected”
Reviewed 27 September 2005

We just returned from a weekend at the Duck Inn. This was our first visit to Marthas Vineyard, heck, it was our first north of Tennessee (Florida natives).

We we very impressed with the rustic charm of the Duck Inn. We stayed in two of the three rooms in the second floor, both facing the beach. The rooms were very clean, and had a country charm. My wife enjoyed the claw-foot tub in our bathroom. I enjoyed the balcony that overlooked the beach and lighthouse. We left the windows open and enjoyed the cool breeze and the sound of the surf at night.

In the morning, Virginia made us a great breakfast. We tried the omelettes, and the wifes favorite was the portugese French Toast. The fruits and toast were good too. The orange/grapefruit juice was fresh squeezed by our lively host Virginia.

I thought the beach might be a little too far to walk, but the wooded path was very nice. Wildflowers and notive foliage were interesting. It took us less than 5 minutes to walk down to the beach. We walked north to the cliffs and balanced rocks.

The next morning, we awoke to find 3 large whitetail deer munching on a few of the trees just below our balcony. They didn't seem bothered by us. My niece walked right up to a rabbit, that had different colored eyes.

I can't say enough about the place. The atmosphere is what really struck me about the Duck Inn. It was laid-back. I just wished we would have spent more time at the Duck Inn instead of driviing around the Vineyard. I would highly recommend this B+B if you're into casual, country living.

Stayed September 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 9 July 2005

NOt sure where the previous reviewer from Boston was, but their head was clearly someplace else. Other than a few spiders webs and some sand on the deck outside, our room was clean & sunny. It was an upstairs room with deck & ocean view and gorgeous poster bed with curtains. Even the bathroom has a view! I peeked in at all the rooms, and they all were unique and charming. Only the downstairs suite had no ocean view, but it's own yard area and fireplace, and the closest to the hot tub.
Any area of the East coast is going to be humid, especially right after a rain, and beach towels don't even dry overnight sometimes. There is no AC, but really there are only 10 days out of the summer that get that hot up-island. Oh and the "frog" is actually a cricket, there are lots in the country. To say the whole island is snobby is just ignorant, and there is LOTS of great food, just ask around. Breakfast at the Duck is GREAT! Different muffins every morning, I loved the pesto & goat cheese omelette, the fruit crepes, and the salmon scramblers.

If you like being in a generic hotel in the city, don't come here, but if you want country charm & a quiet soulful beauty, this is IT!

• Stayed September 2004
16 Thank Gabisan
Reviewed 25 May 2004

Nestled along the hillside overlooking the sea and the Gay Head Lighthouse, this is the perfect spot from which to see the famous multi-colored clay cliffs and beaches at the end of Martha's Vineyard. Aquinnah is the original Wampanoag Indian name, and on Martha's Vineyard, this is the natural spot where the ocean meets the cliffs all around you.
The decor is eclectic and funky. Ducks abound, with art and oddities covering the walls like a minor museum. Guests are treated like old friends rather than strangers. This visit was our first time, but the other guests were "regulars", who come through the years to get away from it all quietly on the Vineyard. We had what I called the Rock Suite, where massive stones made the walls and fireplace. I heard the Duck Inn was originally a sea captain's home. I could see why. The sea rules out at the end of the Island, and the beach is a few minutes walk via hidden, sandy paths.
Breakfast is served family style, made to order.
The Duck Inn is a fine point to fly to... you can kick back for the real, original MV island experience.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 October 2003

This place might be seen different through different eyes, but all I can say is that I loved it very much. I felt so away from the world, like a trip back in time. It was so relaxing and peaceful, you could hear the waves in the silence of the night, it's cosy and pleasant and relaxing. The outside is wonderful! Iloved the wilderness, and the way everything was so natural, I took a trip to the beach (through a wonderful path made up of bushes, it was like heaven to me). The beach is wonderful and you can see some cliffs, and a tranquil view. I can't describe it, it was just amazing! I'm a nature lover, so if you are the outdoors type and a nature lover I'm sure you'll fall in love with this place. The room was cosy and quiet and I enjoyed the old style, I felt soo good over there, all the stress went away for my stay there. Even if I slept outside in a tent in the backyard, I still would have enjoyed it the same much... I just love isolation and peace. The owner is very nice, you feel like in a large family over there. So if you like simplicity, that's the place for you. The Island is a little expensive, but it's worth it. The surroundings are also very nice, simple roads, peace, lots of wild bushes (which I loved to death), I saw deer...in other words it's a little place away from everything. The room was not humid at all, no weeds... just the bushes outside where lots of birds gathered in the morning....just beautiful! The only downside was that I was on the Island for just 4 days...

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 August 2003

We had booked four nights at the duck inn but only stayed one... There are weeds all over the house so bring your plastic boots. The room was very humid and the sheets were actually wet... the shower leaked and there was a frog in the stairs... well I guess you can say this is a "one of a kind" type of place. The owners are nice and the living room/kitchen/playroom is cute and charming. If you are looking for a quiet place to say, this is it... it's lost in the middle of nowhere and the view is pretty. It's also just 5 minutes from the beach. But I don't think we will go back. We spend 200 dollars and it was not clean.
(One note, the other rooms upstairs might be better than ours in the basement...). The island overall is overpriced and snob... and the food is awful!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aquinnah
Mansion House
Menemsha Inn and Cottages
Lambert's Cove Inn
Lambert's Cove Inn
#10 of 47 in Martha's Vineyard

Been to Duck Inn? Share your experiences!