“They Are Trying”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

As a previous reviewer has already said, cheap and cheerful.

This has been my local pub for 30 years and I really believe they are trying.

Recently it was closed for a minor refurb and it's lifted the place a bit.

It's a pleasant place for a pint and there is usually some form of entertainment there, whether it's comedy, a band, close up magic etc.

Good wise it's a "hungry horse" so their offering is their standard menu. It's not pretending to be Gordon Ramsay.
Food that I have had there is tasty enough and reasonable cost.

Staff are pleasant. My only gripe is that at times the wait to get served at the bar is too long.
The trouble here is that there are 3 sides to the bar.
No side can be directly seen from any other, so 2-3 bar staff SHOULD be the minimum.
Often there is only one.

Other than that, there is really not much to complain about - but nothing much to get excited about either!

1  Thank Simon C

Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you like a brilliantly cheap and filling meal but are not fussed about the venue being posh and peaceful, this is your place! been here a couple of times with family and it's OK. I wouldn't personally choose it as I do like more select venues but I won't knock the place as it's as cheap as a fast food joint, you do get waited on by lovely staff and boy is it cheap! Just not my taste but I am getting old and snobby in my old age tee hee!

1  Thank jo w
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This restaurant offers everything you need! The staff are lovely and look after you well. I think this is why I find it always has a brilliant atmosphere. The food is mega cheap but the portions are massive. The quality of the food is lovely, always served piping hot! Will definately return here and try the challenges they do...i couldnt finish my normal meal let alone one of their massive burgers...I will however enjoy trying.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

After reading the reviews about the chequers i was left astonished when i went there. I really was not expecting much but boy i was wrong! whilst i understand its not michelin starred posh nosh it is however massive portions, good food and really friendly and welcoming staff. As soon as i saw the steak & rib combo on the menu i had to give it a go and it was brilliant, meat fell off the ribs and steak was juicy and tender. I will definetly be visiting again!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Took the team out for lunch on a nice day (Friday 2nd aug)
Ordered pulled pork burrito was cold, then subsequestly reheated in the microwave with the sour cream... didnt eat it... who reheats food that's apparently cooked and then puts it back in the microwave...

Chicken was also not hot and the 89p dessert was simply a joke... in a little pot that you get a dip in... no good

also give the place a clean... can the staff not smell the strong urine smell... everything is sticky and the staff were not really bothered...

On the plus side only one of the team is on the loo this afternoon after our visit...

my recommendation... urmmm we won't be going back!!!

Are all Hungry Horses like this as this is my fiorst experience of the brand.