“Excellent”

The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Reviewed 30 April 2014

A lovely hotel that should really be best placed in a more rural setting but that's not possible but as soon as you arrive at the Hotel you feel the lovely cosy atmosphere of an old country Hotel. A superb car park at no extra cost at the Hotel is a bonus. The check in was very smooth and the reception staff are lovely and very helpful. The rooms are very nice very clean and a bonus is great lighting to allow a lady to apply make up etc something that most Hotels forget about. Plenty of electric sockets another bonus. We only stayed one night but would have been very happy to stay for a weekend if we had the time. If I was being picky then I would say that the bed mattress was a little thin although we had a great nights sleep so it was more than adequate. The breakfast was by far the best breakfast we have ever had at a four star Hotel and actually much better than most 5 stars that we have stayed at. The breakfast was hearty and all local produce, it's hearty and plentiful, and a great choice of options, even the orange juice was fresh...the breakfast service was wonderful and could not fault a single thing about it. If you are on the area then this Hotel is the best choice you could make....hope to visit again very soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FUSSYTRAVELLER57

Reviewed 29 April 2014

By far and away the best hotel and restaurant in Luton/Dunstable area, yes the rooms may be a little tired in some areas but this is more than compensated by the comfort of the room and the amazing staff who really do go the extra mile to make a stay here as enjoyable as possible. All of the food is freshly prepared and served with care, not as is often sadly the case in many national chains to 'appear' from a freezer.
To qualify this review I travel much across the UK through business needs, the Old Palace Lodge is my hotel of choice when staying in the LU postcode area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan L
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We fixed up for a party of 12. To have dinner on a. Friday evening. The service was excellent as was the food. I would recommend this restaurant. This was the second year we have been here and for food and value it would be hard to beat.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EnglandTourist10
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel on business when in Luton and in the absence of acceptable Luton Hotels in the price range seemed a good bet. It is fairly old fashioned but comfortable in the main and the staff are friendly. I found my room quite tired and needing a freshen up. Staying on the ground floor I was in a corner room next to a car park and it was particularly noisy with cars coming and going and people outside my window smoking and having a laugh fairly late on in the evening. The lighting in the bar/restaurant area was quite dim and difficult to read and breakfast was average. Overall I couldn't have many complaints but at the same time there was nothing really outstanding, just an average hotel which needs a little attention.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for work for a week. The room was spacious, staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful. The food is really good. Try the American pancakes at Breakfast! The only downside is that the hotel was at times quite cold. I rang reception and they brought me up a blow heater. Would recommend!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Niamh M
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We received an absolutely fantastic welcome and the staff really cannot do enough for you. Our room was lovely but the bathroom is a bit tired (which seems to be a general consensus of opinion for most rooms when you read through the comments). Generally, the hotel has a lovely feel, although I personally think the entrance, reception and lounge area are a little bit dingy due to how dark they are from the combination of wood, wallpaper and lighting. However, the furnishings are nice and the open fire is a lovely touch! The selection of magazines and newspapers are also great!

I was extremely disappointed by the menu choices, especially the room service and lounge one as there are no vegetarian options on there with the exception of a lone egg mayonnaise sandwich and not all veggies eat eggs?! Given that up to 10% of people are now veggie it seems extraordinary that a menu in the year 2014 would not reflect this and I really should not have to ask in a 4 star hotel! Granted, I did have what was the most gorgeous Vegetable Mille Feuille one evening in the restaurant but it was insubstantial and I was still hungry after it! My husband had a home made pie which he said was filling and lovely.

On what is more of a downside for me, I cannot wait to go home as I am TOTALLY exhausted after having succeeded in achieving only a few hours sleep each night, which is okay if you are on business or working but not if your aim is a restful stay! It has been the same experience day after day, quiet after all guests have turned in the for the night but I have been kept awake by snorers in the surrounding rooms (it actually sounds like they are in the same room as you). The noise then starts in earnest at about 5.30am where you are awoken with a jolt to the sound of a variety of alarms clocks (this morning's ensemble was the theme from Twin Peaks played three times, a vibrating one twice and what sounded like a glockenspiel no less than four times). Yesterday I was awoken with a jolt and almost screamed because the creaking noise from up above translated (in my head) as an intruder actually in my bedroom! Then begins the cupboard jolting, drawer slamming, coat hanger rattling, floor and bed creaking, head board banging, farting, coughing, talking, burping, breakfast tv, a kid whining/shouting and what I thought sounded like water dripping in my room, not to mention the continuous door slamming! The acoustics are absolutely DREADFUL and you really can hear EVERY single word spoken by anyone in the bedrooms next to you and from the rooms below and above. I absolutely dread to think what the place is like if there was a late night function on (I really would check before booking in)! Even a 'do not disturb' sign on the door with the hope of a cheeky few zzzzs when the business people have finally left the hotel has been ineffective as the house keeping staff then congregate in the corridors. Admittedly, the staff are only doing their jobs and I am quite a light sleeper but this is by far the very worst hotel I have ever stayed at for noise; it is like the whole place has been constructed out of cardboard.

Exercise is also important to me and I was looking forward to visiting the gym mentioned on several websites for the hotel but there is now only a small gym onsite. The gym is around the back of the hotel in a space probably about as big as a portakabin. There was to be fair, a good selection of equipment and I was impressed but I was then disappointed to find no changing or showering facilities and that the heating is switched off so that it was gravestone cold, probably not much more than about 4/5 degrees. The heater can be switched on, but to be fair, the room would take too long to get to a reasonable temperature and when it does, the heating is positioned in such a place it would blow onto you while you were exercising which would not be comfortable. The gym also has an open aspect which is totally exposed to the surrounding houses and car park so there was absolutely no way I would feel comfortable using it anyway as I would not want people looking in at me. There needs to be some voiles etc placed on the windows to stop unwanted attention.

I do feel somewhat guilty at giving a three to such a lovely hotel with such wonderful staff but I would not want to come back to this hotel for an overnight stay or for a meal as it failed to impress me on so many of my own personal 'must haves'! However, if you are not bothered about the gym, do not mind listening to strangers' snoring, are a heavy sleeper or do not mind been woken up when it is still dark, eat meat, want a romantic meal, are on business or having a flying stop over then maybe stay here as your experience and review would not doubt be different to mine.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a belated valentines dinner here.The food and service were both excellent. Staff were both very friendly and very professional at their jobs. We felt very comfortable in the surroundings. The candlelit tables with diamante decorations, soft lighting and single red rose at each table gave it the perfect romantic touch. After dinner we sat by the log fire in the bar with drinks. The cosiness of the hotel and whole evening experience made it an easy decision for us both to stay the night. Our room was very attractive, clean, and had all we needed. The bed was very comfortable. We couldn't fault it. A lovely experience that has made us want to return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank RLC82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Swan Hotel
Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Leighton Buzzard
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor

Been to The Old Palace Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!