“Fantastic hotel, all staff deserve congratulating for great service”

The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, all staff deserve congratulating for great service”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My sister and I had a lovely relaxing stay here at the weekend. Very clean room and attentive service. Restaurant and bar food excellent, although chips a little strange. Would definitely come again though. A great find and highly recommended.

Room Tip: No air conditioning in room but not a problem as could sleep with window open but be careful on a Sa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Went there for a week end very nice very friendly food excellent we up graded our room when booking and l must say superb lovely size room and bathroom everything you need right down to a iron and ironing board and was not expensive defiantly will be going again and defiantly recommend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

First time I've stayed at this hotel as I normally stay at the Holiday Inn Express... But have to say the service has been excellent and the food was probably one of the best meals I've had for a long time ! Will definitively be making this hotel my first choice in the future when I have to stay in Dubstable ...

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Have visited this Hotels restaurant and bar quite a few times, very good value and excellent food. They also have lots of promotional nights which are excellent value. Would highly recommend this venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Isle of Sheppey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked the hotel for a family gathering and all of our party were very happy with the quality of the rooms. We were offered a private dining room for an evening meal and a table for the whole party for breakfast.
The staff were all exceptionally helpful and the food was excellent.
Well done to all and thank you for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms possibly best. Especially towards the rear of the hotel as the building fronts a ver...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

OK. I've stayed in Dunstable before & last time I chose a Premier Inn, however this visit I decided to try somewhere else. You know, support the smaller character filled hotels? I went online and found The Old Palace Lodge and had a mooch around their website.

Well the website's a bit of all right isn't it? All very luxurious looking, with 4 shiny gold stars at the top (and I do love a 4 star hotel as well you know), and when I looked at the rates, they appeared greatly reduced. In fact, they competed with The Premier Inn pricing, so I thought, what the hell, I'll book this place. I selected an Executive Twin Room as I was sharing with a friend. The website info said it had an en suite, hair dryer, complimentary wifi, mineral water, a welcome tray (tea making facilities I guess?) TV, DVD player, dressing gowns and gym access. Oh and it also said they would put a 'complimentary bag of Haribo sweets' in the room too. Now my friend LOVES Haribo. SPLENDID! I booked it.

I arrived first. The hotel is set near a busy junction and the entrance is easier to get in to than to exit when you leave (there is often a stream of traffic in both directions meaning you may wait some time before getting in and out of the entrance). The car park is a reasonable size and was almost empty when I arrived. The hotel entrance is welcoming, but when you walk in you soon see that the building is quite old and characterful. Wood panelling and beams. Nice if you like that sort of thing. Check in was straightforward, until it came to paying. I had to put my card into the payment device 6 times. Yes, 6 times complete with PIN input too. I've yet to check my bank to see how many times I have actually paid but I hope it was just the once. I also reminded them I had booked for 2 breakfasts which caused them confusion as they had no record of this despite me booking direct with them, until I had to find the receipt I was emailed to show them this. I was given room 210 and accessed it by a small corridor and elevator.

The room was a decent size with small single twin beds set just one bedside cabinet width apart from each other. It's a good job I like the girl I was sharing with as she was a hairsbreadth away from us being in bunk beds! There was also a sofa bed in the room, a wardrobe with two bathrobes and an ironing board and iron, a chest of drawers (which, after much exploration housed the tray of tea and coffee with a kettle), and a desk and chair. A TV hung on the rather bleak wall next to a DVD player and a mirror was fixed on the wall by the desk, with a full length one on the bedroom door. Lighting wasn't great. Luckily there was natural light, but apart from that we had two small bedside lamps and a row of cobweb laced spotlights by the window (strange place to put additional lighting? By the window? Could be more useful in the middle of the room.).

I found the 'complimentary bag of Haribo' after a bit of a search.… a tiny non brand bag of jelly teddies. The size of the 10p treat bag of Haribo. Oh. *disappointed face*.. Good job we didn't want to share them eh?

The bathroom was a decent size but VERY basic. A bath and an over the bathtub shower with the power of a 6 watering eyes. Or perhaps 3 runny noses? You get the idea, the pressure wasn't great. A loo and a sink. Oh and you had a few complimentary toiletries which looked lovely but I didn't use them.

So here's the thing about this room. It's an 'executive room'. I think that actually means 'has a desk?' rather than is a reflection of the standard of room? It wasn't particularly clean. It was OK, but you didn't want any naked flesh touching any of the surfaces if you know what I mean? You also perhaps wanted to cover the sofa bed with something before you sat on it too, as it felt a tad grubby? There was no air con. None. Just a window that opened up onto the backs of people's houses and a flat roof. The room got VERY warm, and smelled quite musty and stale. This is from me, a girl who always half freezes in 99% of hotel rooms! Oh and there was no fridge in the room either so you couldn't keep anything cool. Here's an interesting fact…it says on the website it's part of the MGM Hotels. I thought that was the group that had the MGM Grand in Vegas, so had high hopes. If it is the same, then they ran out of enthusiasm when it came to lavish decor in Dunstable!

We ate at the hotel that night. We were the only people in the dining room, and we ordered the chicken caesar salad which came with bacon. They even provided gluten free bread for me which was lovely and the salad was bot HUGE and tasty! Yum! Oh and the breakfast was lovely too. We had the omelette which must have been at least 5 eggs worth! Maybe they cater for workmen here? Portions are generous and the food tasty and the waiting on staff attentive.

So, back to the room and that night I got into my bed….fully clothed of course (refer back to my point about not wanting any naked flesh to touch the environment).

Oh. Oh dear.

Now I"m not a tall girl. I'm a smidgen below average height actually yet my feet kept slipping off the end of the bed. I'm not large either, yet turning in bed meant I had to be careful I didn't fall out of it (into the hairsbreadth slither of space between mine and my friend's bed that is). Why did I turn over so much I hear you ask? Well, my friends, because the bed was made of 1000 uncoiled springs that dug into my torso continually the entire night. Remember that game where you attempt to slide a metal hoop along a twisting electrified wire? That was what the bed was attempting to do to my ribcage. Are you also familiar with the Fairytale of The Princess And The Pea? That was me, and someone had spread my bed with a whole Bird's Eye bag of frozen peas! I must have slept just a few broken hours and was awake most of the night and massively uncomfortable. May I suggest the hotel check their mattresses periodically and either turn them or replace when they feel like they've worn out? This one certainly needs throwing out and replacing with something more comfortable, … like loose shale…

All in all this was a disappointing stay. Certainly not a 4* hotel. I would say 3* at the most. It wasn't clean, it was very basic and had poor ventilation too. The only saving grace is the friendliness of the waiters in the restaurant and the food they served.

Would I return? I think this Princess will take her delicate carcass to the nearest Premier Inn next time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vanessa B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

A lovely hotel that should really be best placed in a more rural setting but that's not possible but as soon as you arrive at the Hotel you feel the lovely cosy atmosphere of an old country Hotel. A superb car park at no extra cost at the Hotel is a bonus. The check in was very smooth and the reception staff are lovely and very helpful. The rooms are very nice very clean and a bonus is great lighting to allow a lady to apply make up etc something that most Hotels forget about. Plenty of electric sockets another bonus. We only stayed one night but would have been very happy to stay for a weekend if we had the time. If I was being picky then I would say that the bed mattress was a little thin although we had a great nights sleep so it was more than adequate. The breakfast was by far the best breakfast we have ever had at a four star Hotel and actually much better than most 5 stars that we have stayed at. The breakfast was hearty and all local produce, it's hearty and plentiful, and a great choice of options, even the orange juice was fresh...the breakfast service was wonderful and could not fault a single thing about it. If you are on the area then this Hotel is the best choice you could make....hope to visit again very soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FUSSYTRAVELLER57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North
The Woburn Hotel
The Woburn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Woburn

Been to The Old Palace Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!