“Excellent budget business hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent budget business hotel”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Spent the weekend on a hobby conference at this new Holiday Inn and was well impressed. Everything is spick and span. Someone has (at last) twigged that WiFi is expected as a basic facility these days; guests do not want obstacles like membership logins and supplementary charges. Here there are no barriers at all! Just fire up the laptop, connect and you're away at a respectable 6Mb/s (nurdishly I measured it).

My room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Only complaint was a rather noisy aircon/heating unit in the ceiling, but aren't they all? The controls were unusually clear and responsive.

Couple in the next room had a blazing row that went on for hours, yelling, banging and screeching. I put Reception to the test by mentioning it to the two young ladies on the front desk. Straight away they asked if I would like to change rooms. Well done them. I said no, don't worry (I'd already unpacked) but would they please ask the couple to shout a bit louder so I could at least hear what they were arguing about :-).

Conference facilities were adequate and the coffee machines served a decent brew in china mugs. Why do other places find this so difficult? Main disappointment was exactly the same buffet lunch on Saturday and Sunday - the dreaded breaded chicken finger/nuggets and chips. That said, the sandwiches they also put out were excellent. I gather we were paying a highly competitive rate for the catering so can't grumble.

Breakfast was HI's standard offering, a decent continental fare alongside a token attempt at cooked English in the shape of sausage, scrambled egg (almost certainly egg powder) and baked beans. Better than nothing...

The reception, bar and eating areas are pretty soul-less but, all in all, this is a good example of a modern, convenient, budget-priced business hotel. Only those nuggets keep the 5th star away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear PaulHowardChambs,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us after you recent stay. Our guest feedback on breakfast and food offering is invaluable in ensuring that we constantly improve.

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was disturbed by the guests in the next room and have passed your praise for handling of the situation on to my team.I too have to confess to using a savvy app to check the Wi-Fi speeds and I am glad you were able to avail of our Free Wi-Fi service.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on Friday 17 jan as a stopover on the way to London we arrived at 8pm staff were friendly room was fine (room 101) sofa bed mattress was a bit lumpy but a quick adjustment with the quilt helped my son settle in (age 7)
Breakfast was self service and more than ample although not sure why there was sausage but no bacon ?!?!
Room was 39 for the three of us including breakfast so was really affordable
We would definitely go back it took us 40 mins to get to central London from there which was perfect
Free wifi is always a bonus although FaceTime was a bit hit and miss for some reason

Stayed January 2014
Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had booked for one night, arrived about 3 hours early, tired from driving through the night. Checking in early meant a surcharge of £ 10 on top of a very agreeable price of £ 39 for the night. It was fully worth it. I had the opportunity to freshen up and take a nap of a couple of hours before my appointment that day. A comfortable and spacious room awaited me and the bathroom had a rectangular, and therefor extra spacious shower. Everything spic & span. Good bed with a choice of soft or firm pillows. A window that can be opened in spite of the room having air conditioning (which I see as a bonus compared with the hotels where windows can not be opened). I had a very good night. Breakfast is possible at early hours (07.00) and is self service. Alas, no fried eggs, just scrambled eggs of the "instant (powder) variety", no bacon but exceptionally good sausages, no tomatoes, no mushrooms so basically not a full English breakfast. Orange juice machine ran out of the concentrated juice so gave a glass of bitter fluid. Staff came out of the kitchen just to get themselves a mug of tea and had to be pointed at the problem. Soon rectified however! The girl at the reception desk on check in has to learn to express herself in proper understandable English as I at first couldn't understand a word she said. (not every guest is English, remember) can't tell her name, but I checked in on January 17th at , say, about 11.30 AM or thereabouts. I had room 307, a room on the third floor, elevator provided. Fine hotel, but express yourselves in clear and crisp tongue to foreigners. Friendly staff, that must be said! I will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Kent, England
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst visiting family in Dunstable. The rate was great at £35 and was booked only a few days beforehand. As a new build, the hotel is very clean and modern. It has plenty of car parking and is only a short distance from the town and easy to find from the M1 motorway straight along the A5. The room was clean and comfortable. The TV remote wasn't working when we arrived but one call to reception and someone came and changed it straight away. The rate included a good breakfast with plenty of choice - my favourite being the sausages which were really tasty. The staff were helpful and polite. We will definitely book here again when we visit Dunstable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear ajcory361

I was pleased to read that your stay with us was a great experience. I was so pleased that you found our staff to be polite and service to be helpful. As you have mentioned we are in the perfect location for a trip to Dunstable and have some great rates on offer. Your feedback is very much valued and I am delighted you have decided to stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

York, UK
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Easy booking process and a good price considering free wifi and breakfast is included. A good sized room. Everything new and clean since the hotel is brand new. Modern design. Large shower, flat screen TV and two types of pillows. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was varied and well presented. Overall, could not fault it and will be using them again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon Kevinyork,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable. I am delighted you have mentioned our Free Wi-Fi and Breakfast - our guests really do love these. Thank you very much for your kind words about the staff - I will pass your comments on to my team.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We booked this (1 night stay) through late rooms, we paid just £34 and we have certainly got a bargain. The staff have been absolutely superb ( so far) on booking in, we were shown the way to the lift or if we preferred stairs the direction to the stairs, I noticed and found it good evidence in the use of E & D, usually the stairs are indicated first with the statement " and if you need a lift there's one just there" the receptionist also noticed I had a tissue on my thumb and asked with a casual caring tone, "what have you done, can I get you a plaster and wipe?" Very nice welcome, I thought. Looking forward to the rest of our stay, have you any comments from your experience with the Holiday in group?

Room Tip: Special requests are considered and if possible allocated as required, don't be afraid to ask! W...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear WDPEaK02,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially that you found such good customer service. We pride ourselves on being a friendly hotel and my team were delighted when I shared your comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us here at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 8 nights for work related matter as this was the best price we could find in the area. Typical HI express breakfast and free Wifi, newspaper was included. Wifi reception is excellent even though it blocks access to skype probably through a firewall. Skype calls gets connected but quality is poor even through a VPN. When a mobile broadband is used it connects to skype as usual. View through the first floor room window is nice. Room is spacious but no place to keep the clothes except for 5-6 hangers. Room is warm and temperature control works fine. Always had ample free parking irrespective of the day or the time. There is a KFC, ASDA and Dunstable shopping centre about 2 miles down on A5 London road to the right.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
The Leaside
#3 of 25 in Luton
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North
Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dunstable? Share your experiences!