“Great Value although sleep disturbed”

Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Norfolk
“Great Value although sleep disturbed”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had an overnight stop here on a Friday night. An absolute bargain at £45 twin room, flexible rate, including breakfast.

The room was basic, but comfortable. Everything modern and modular – No drawers, and just a few hangers [no wardrobe], large desk, TV, & great Wifi.

The included breakfast was not marvellous, but did the job. All self service and clear your own table.

Parking was easy and plentiful. The hotel is on the edge of Dunstable, with building taking place opposite.

We ate at the hotel in the evening. Menu limited, but food was good quality, and the price was around normal for a hotel restaurant. You order at the bar, and are given a number so the waiting staff can find you. We had to ask for the “mood” lighting to be made brighter, so we could read the menu. All the staff were friendly and approachable.

Unfortunately our sleep was disturbed by shouting and banging early in the morning by some drunken guests. After a while I phoned reception, and complained . They sent someone up, and the noise stopped for a while. Reception called back, and apologised, and offered a £20 refund.

A little later the noise and banging restarted, so I called again, and they sent staff up again. When we came to check out they discounted all of our food and drinks from the bill, without any prompting, and were extremely apologetic. Obviously they cannot be blamed for the behaviour of other guests, and they did their best to solve the issue, so I would probably use them again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear gorby321

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us after your recent stay. I am delighted that you found our team to be friendly and helpful - we proud ourselves on delivering great service.

I am very sorry that your stay was disturbed as we do expect all of our guests to get a great night's sleep. I am glad that my team were able to help and your feedback will certainly help us to prevent this happening again.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the very near future.

Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Norwich
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here the night before we visited the Hell Fire Caves
It was quite a new hotel and upto the usual Holiday Inn Standard.
Staff were very friendly and polite and the carp park was easy and free.
Will use this one again when maybe flying from luton.
My only gripes are the usual for a Holiday Inn express and thats the beds are too small and the free breakfast is always a messy affair :(

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Stevie T

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay. I hope you enjoyed the Hell Fire Caves - a fantastic attraction!

I appreciate your feedback on our breakfast and the hotel beds. We are working hard to relaunch our breakfast and improve standards so all input from our guests really makes a difference.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Thank you to holiday inn for making it a pleasurable stay as this is my first time to a holiday inn I found it great that all the staff where very kind and helpful And their was free wifi in the room for you to use and it was in a good location and very quiet.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Smart1140,

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback - I am delighted that you enjoyed your first stay with our hotel and our brand. It is a pleasure to read that the team were helpful and kind and I will certainly share your comments with them at our next meeting.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Colchester, Essex United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Easy to find on the edge of a new housing development about 1.5 miles outside Dunstable town centre. Easy check in, asked for and got a quiet room overlooking the car park (room 04). Parking was free.
Considering the price of the room, the room was fabulous, very clean and spacious and the bathroom and shower, wow, really great. Tea and coffee facilites in room. I was there on business, but I think would also be good for families as it is very close th Whipsnade Zoo.
Everything was spotlessley clean, not even a watermark on the huge glass door of the shower. Bed was really comfy and I got a good nights sleep once I had worked out how to set the air con/ heating unit!
The review would have rocked a 5, but Breakfast was really poor, not much choice and the orange juice machine only pumped out water and the coffee ( well ,thick brown liquid) had no milk and was un-drinkable, I understand that things run out and that the hotel was busy, but the staff made no attempt to re-fill the machine. It was self-service, but no-one around to meet and greet. They advertise the Breakfast as Free, but that shouldnt be an excuse for a poor quailty offer. It was such as shame as otherwise it was a great stay.

Room Tip: the road at the front was busy
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear LFK,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us after you recent stay. I am really sorry to hear that our breakfast offering did not meet your expectations and I would like to reassure you that this is not the normal standard of service which we take pride in. Guest feedback on our Free breakfast is invaluable to ensuring we constantly improve. Thank you for your kind words about our lovely new rooms – I will certainly pass on your comments to my house-keeping team.

I really do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Regards,

Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, we stayed in the hotel whilst on business in the area with a view to returning over the next couple of months. Good location to the project facility & value for money. We where both greeted by really friendly staff, a big hearty thank you xx to both Emma & Jade for advise & guildance provided during the stay in Dunstable. The bar in the hotel is limited which is expected from a express hotel. The bed was rare firm is the only complaint. Breakfast was adequate, not being a full english person it's easy to please a tea & toast executive.
Thank you! Recommended
GCD "Project Director Abbey Group"

Room Tip: Standard rooms, no issues apart from the bed!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Gordon C D

Thank you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your comfort is our priority so we will definitely pass on your comments regarding the bed in your room.

Many thanks for your kind words regarding the staff you had the opportunity to meet – Emma and Jade are delighted to hear your praise and I am extremely proud of the service our team delivers.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I know this is a HI Express and they bill breakfast as free but ore of an effort could be made. The hot options are baked beans, poor quality sausages and what can only be described as powdered scrambled eggs. There are limited cold options, bread, tinned fruit, pastries and yoghurts.
I didn't eat in the hotel, looked at the menu and found it to be pricey, nearly £15 for a microwaved curry when you can go for an authentic one in town and get much more for the same money.
The bedrooms are perfect for what you need for a short stay, there isn't an iron / ironing board in the rooms, you have to request one and then collect it from reception. One negative, the duvets are small and thin, they just cover the bed.
All the staff I interacted with we're professional and smart looking.
I'm booked to return to this hotel in April.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Russeboy
Louise T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Russeboy,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us after you recent stay. I am really sorry to hear that our breakfast offering did not meet your expectations. Our guest feedback on breakfast and food offering is invaluable in ensuring that we constantly improve. I hope that you notice a difference when staying with us in April. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team – we pride ourselves on delivering a professional and welcoming service to all and I have passed on your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a Friday night, booked our room about a month prior and paid a very good price. Free parking, wifi and breakfast was a plus. It was in a great location for our purpose, could not fault this hotel. Our standard double room was massive, very clean and modern and the same goes for the bathroom! The bed was comfy with the option of firm/ soft pillows. Plenty of plug sockets and a full length mirror which is great when getting ready for a night out/ party! There was an in-room heating/ air conditioning system which you can set to your own preference. Pleasant view of fields out the window. Staff friendly and helpful, booked us a cab and called taxi firm again when we were waiting in reception to chase without us asking. Breakfast was pretty standard but did the job and bearing in mind it was included in the price! 24hr reception and bar. Overall great stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
Premier Inn Dunstable South A5 Hotel
Holiday Inn Luton - South M1, Jct 9
Premier Inn Dunstable / Luton Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dunstable? Share your experiences!