“Great weekend, great hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Brough, United Kingdom
“Great weekend, great hotel”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stopped over at the Dunstable Holiday Inn Express whilst competing in a bike race nearby, we were really impressed.
The hotel was clean, new & well furnished, breakfast was really good too.
The staff were fantastic; they were really friendly & made you feel very welcome, nothing was too much trouble & they made the stay at the hotel really enjoyable.
Unlike some hotels where you feel like an inconvenience to staff, here they get the fact that they are there to help you. Will certainly visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Richard M,

Thank you very much for posting a review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable Hotel. All feedback received is used constructively to help us continually improve our hotel services and guest experience.

I am really delighted your stay was a positive one and that we met your expectations. I can assure you that our team really appreciate the recognition that you have provided.

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a two night stay on a business visit to Luton. The location was perfect and when I arrived the hotel reception staff were extremely pleasant, polite and accommodating. However, if you stay in this hotel I wouldn't recommend staying in for dinner the food was extremely overpriced and of very poor quality which is a great shame otherwise I would have given this hotel a 5 star rating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear David F,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable Hotel. All guest feedback is used constructively to continually improve our hotel services and ultimately guest satisfaction.

Thank you for your positive comments relating to the team and the hotel location. All our team work incredibly hard each day to try and deliver a high level of service. Your kind comments are appreciated on all levels and will be passed onto the team.

I apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay and sorry that we did not meet your expectations in all areas. I must point out that if guests are having any problems/queries then they are able to contact our friendly reception team 24 hours a day. We endeavour to resolve all guests queries quickly and efficiently.

Again, thank you for your kind comments relating to the team and thank you for rating us so highly even though you encountered some issues. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A very good budget hotel a few hiccups throughout our stay !! originally booked via a super-break ticket and hotel package !! ( also worth a look ) I decided to extend by one night arriving earlier booked direct to hotel Stuart taking my booking only a few days before !! Arriving at hotel where the parking was free with large car park!! the Check in service was very efficient asked to sign a form I noticed it was only for one person !! Dealt with speedily and wonderfully by Stuart who has taken booking and pleasantly surprised at the room !! Nicely decorated ! Two large single beds awaited in a very airy room with air con Television was free view ! And free wi-fi was welcome the shower was huge and bathroom clean We went out on first night and called in the hungry horse restaurant - the highway man for a reasonable and delicious supper ! Fancying an afternoon snack on Thursday not ready for supper yet we decided to indulge in a coke and crisps ! It was almost the same price as our supper the evening before! But then my young friend noticed after eating the crisps they were a month out of date I returned them to the desk to be meet with strange looks and eventually it was noticed by them not the reaction you would expect ! But on going to the room the key card wouldn't work ! Back to desk to be told it was a different booking !! Hence the disgruntled to of us made our way back to the highway man !! However the overall experience was marvellous with my purchase price of the crisps being refunded the following day at checkout by the ever pleasant courteous Stuart who asked if we had eaten in hotel on Thursday evening and had enjoyed !! And was told why we didn't eat in ! The self service breakfast was very unusually presented but not unpleasantly but my friend was disappointed with no bacon !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Pammy K,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I take on board your comments relating to Stuart and I will make sure he recieves the recognition he deserves.

Thank you for your comments relating to breakfast; our Express Start Breakfast consists of 3 hot options (Sausage, Scrambled Egg and Beans) plus a selection of continental items; they’re also free hot & cold beverages available during breakfast time. All products are selected from an IHG recommended supplier and we find their food to be of a good standard.

I am sorry you picked up an out of date packet of crisps. We check our stock daily and can only apologise but I am pleased that the issue was rectified quickly for you.

We hope this does not affect your view of the Holiday Inn Express and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Coventry
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions since it was built a few years ago and yes it maybe had teething problems when it first opened. I must have been fortunate as none of those affected me in any great way.

I have always found the staff here to be very helpful with any requests I have had or changes that I have needed to make. The rooms I have stayed in have always been clean and everything in them has worked as it should.

The menu choices are limited, but then this is not a 5 star hotel with a huge demand for fine dinning. It caters for the basics and there are numerous local places for those with more adventurous culinary tastes. Again breakfast is fairly basic as I would expect in such a hotel. That said the food has always been hot or cold where appropriate and there has always been plenty of it too.

In short this is hotel is part of a budget chain offering good, clean accommodation at an affordable price, with breakfast and free wifi included (note not all such chains offer this service in the UK). I will definitely be back again when I am next in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear TommyDPS,

Thank you very much for posting a review regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Dunstable. All our feedback both positive and negative is analysed to help ensure hotel procedures are continually being improved.

We are delighted to read of your experiences at our hotel; we aim to make the breakfast experience as enjoyable and comfortable as possible and will definitely take on board your comments. Your positive feedback regarding our team is appreciated on all levels and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team.

Again, thank you for your kind comments, I hope you continue to use IHG Hotels for your travels and we look forward to welcoming you the next time you're working in Dunstable.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here on 7th June 2014, booking was quick and effective, large free car park, staff are very attentive at reception, our room was clean and inviting, the shower is big enough for two!
The room was quiet at night not much noise.
the only issue i had and often do with budget hotels is their lack of choice for dinner menus.
I ordered their signature burger, the meal was delivered fairly quick, the burger was huge, with a cocktail stick pushed through the middle to hold it all together, with a very small portion of chips in a miniature ice bucket and a bit of side salad, I often wonder, when they design these meals, do they actually experiment how to eat them without everything falling out all over the place!
I did order the cheesecake but they had none left, so I went for the apple tart and custard, i would recommend this dessert, the custard was very rich, didnt taste like a packet mix, i actually ordered it cold.
The breakfast is a limited continental breakfast which is free to all guests, however personally, I would prefer to pay for breakfast, to ensure I get what I want.

Dear Steve M,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express York Hotel. All guest feedback is used constructively to continually improve our hotel services and ultimately guest satisfaction. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your comments relating to dinner. I am particularly pleased you enjoyed our Signature burger and took cold custard with your dessert! All products are selected from an IHG recommended supplier and we find their food to be of a good standard.

Again, thank you for your kind feedback and I am pleased that your stay met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Has it been that long since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express? I guess it has. Over past couple of years, I seem to have been staying more often at full Holiday Inns and Crowne Plazas. Maybe that's have I had a slight feeling of disappointment with this property. It's a basic, economy tier hotel, akin to an Ibis, Premier Inn, or Travelodge. Amongst those competitors, it's probably the best of the bunch. I particularly liked the free parking and free wifi. Paying extra for parking and especially wifi, are pet peeves of mine. The free parking and relatively low price are what swayed me to stay here, rather than two IHG properties in Stevenage (one HI and one HI Express), both of which were more expensive and charged for parking. To make matters worse, their parking didn't seem to be on site. While the Stevenage properties were a bit more convenient for where I was going to go, in the morning, price and convenience swayed me. However, upon staying here I'm not sure I made the best choice. The HI Express, Dunstable seems to be in the middle of nowhere. There is a housing estate under construction, next door, but not much in the way of restaurants and shops. For those, you need to travel further down the high street, a mile or two. The building itself seems new an everything worked. I think the room and amenities are competitive, or superior to Ibis, Premier Inn, or Travelodge. Saying that, the bed was a bit small, especially for two. It was a very basic bed and not nearly as comfortable as one usually gets at full Holiday Inns. The TV in the room seemed very small. The bathroom has fewer amenities. It was clean, but only a combination shower gel/soap/shampoo, in wall mounted dispensers, is provided. The check in clerk seemed a bit moody and my clumsy attempt to lighten the mood seemed to fall on fallow grown. All the other staff I encountered were great, so maybe that one was having a bad day. Even though I am an IHG Rewards Gold Member, this wasn't acknowledged at check in, at all. A free breakfast is included and it's not just a cold continental, but includes hot eggs and sausage. That part is good, but the eggs weren't bad, but they weren't great either. Tasted a bit like powdered eggs. Overall, the Holiday Inn Express does economy well. The IHG Rewards loyalty program beats Accour's (the Ibis family brand) hands down, which means I will always choose HI Express over Ibis, when I have the option. I think I have been spoiled by higher tier InterContinental brands, over the past 2 years, which left me feeling slightly unsatisfied at Dunstable. If you need to stay in this area, while keeping the price reasonable, you won't go far wrong with this hotel. I accidentally left my phone charger and a quick call to the hotel led them to find it and hold it for me. I decided to forego the hotel restaurant for dinner and ventured to the Dunstable high street, instead. In the end, I wasn't wowed down there, so maybe the hotel restaurant would have been a better choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dunstable, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Joseph B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold member. I'm delighted to know that you liked our complimentary parking and WiFi. It is regrettable though that we fell below your expectations when it comes to our room amenities and breakfast selection. Please be assured that your comments are taken into serious account as we would like to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
somerset
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was a great place to stay for an overnight stop. The hotel was very clean, and there was excellent WiFi throughout. Breakfast was included & it was certainly enough to get the day started. I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
The Leaside
#3 of 25 in Luton
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North
Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dunstable? Share your experiences!