“Complaint ignored”
Review of The Old Red Lion

The Old Red Lion
Ranked #64 of 94 Restaurants in Dunstable
Cuisines: British
Description: From 8am to 11:30 every day we serve our unlimited breakfast £3.99 From 11:30am to 9:30pm we serve our tradional roast from £4.29 There are many options for carvery from 3 meats, 4 on Sundays to half roast chicken to hand battered fish. We take bookings Monday to Saturday just call and speak to a member of staff.
England
“Complaint ignored”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have been to this carvery on a number of occasions and have generally been satisfied with the quality of the food. However, the same cannot be said for the standard of customer service. For on my most recent visit our meal was spoilt by excessively loud music playing throughout the dining area to the extent that we could not enjoy a quiet conversation.
When our waitress - Katie, I believe - eventually came over to enquire if everything was okay I politely asked her if the music could be turned down. She agreed to do so, but the music continued to play at the same volume for the remainder of our stay.
I later complained in writing to Head Office, Mitchell's and Butlers, but despite a follow-up letter I received neither a reply nor even an acknowledgment. For a company the size of Mitchell's and Butlers to ignore correspondence from its customers does surprise me. I can only conclude that this company does not care about its standard of service and for that reason I shall not be returning to the Old Red Lion at Houghton Regis.

Watford, United Kingdom
“A new way to take more of your money”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Ok I have eaten here before but on a lunchtime trip today with my son, I was asked at the bar if we wanted the beef. I asked yes why and was told it's now extra if you want beef with the carvery or you can have turkey and gammon cheaper. I asked what was the price if you just wanted only the beef and it's the same as all three !!! Well I paid the extra as we were hungry but will not be going here again in a hurry

• Visited August 2014
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“Amazing but not in a good way”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The good=nice looking pub from the outside and it wasn't busy

The rest is as follows=arrived at the bar and was told to hang on by the girl behind the bar who l assume was some kind of supervisor as she was busy making coffee for some unfortunate diner. The other two staff members were clearly too busy to serve us as their personal conversation was more important. Eventually the drinks orders were taken by the one working staff member and we asked about the carvery; she told us that we could have a look but one of us had to stay at the bar (wish we had taken this option) did she think we would help ourselves and not pay? Anyway we decided to order without looking and settled for one carvery and one veggie option. We were told to wait in the bar and we would be shown to our table. Some 20 minutes later after being ignored by all staff members I went back up to the bar and was told that the table was ready, we went through and the veggie dish was on top of the hot counter and had clearly been there for some time as it had congealed.
My other half was handed this bowl of mush and the obligatory Yorkshire pudding on her plate and I had a slice of beef turkey and gammon with the aforementioned Yorkshire pudding and we were told to help ourselves to vegetables which were a selection of the sorriest looking specimens ever seen and that we could come back for more when we want ( trust me once is too many) we had to find our own table rather than be shown to it as told at the bar, the dining experience could begin.
The beef was chewy; the gammon fatty and the turkey was so dry that I chewed it for 10 minutes and despite the sips of cider to moisten it found it almost impossible to swallow. The veg was soggy apart from the roast potatoes which were like the ones l had as a child for school dinners.The veggie dish was cold and inedible.

We skipped dessert and I advise you to save your money and skip this place altogether.

3 Thank Beard0
Bedford, United Kingdom
“rubbish”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Absolutely hilarious! Howdy cowboy! Whilst searching for a waitress through the clutter of various cleaning materials on show and dissected high chairs in the middle of the saloon/resteraunt... we found this meal out to be a challenge like crystal maze!!! Was it part of the fun to have to discover that we, the customer should serve ourselves or actually use the cleaning products on display? On a serious note our visit to this establishment was a rare treat for my wife and I to celebrate her birthday. The quaint exterior did nothing but deceive on what we found inside.. which really wasn't much. We waited 15 minutes to be seen by a waitress... instead our ears were witness to a compilation of personal stories and unacceptable banter. Our food that we eventually ate was dry and old. I was totally embarrassed. There was absolutely no staff available to clear away our plates so my wife had to it herself when our intentions were to be waited upon this evening. We then waited a further 10 minutes for our desert bowls that after searching round the entire pub for someone.. we received just one.. that appeared to have the previous users ice cream still in it. We were appauled by this service and would never recommend this resteraunt.

2 Thank Keith D
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Awful food”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

An attractive and traditional looking, red brick pub on the outskirts of Houghton Regis, it looks as though it could perhaps be something of a gastro-pub. As it transpired though, although food is offered, this was far from the case. There is a fair sized beer garden alongside the car park, although it’s essentially just a plain patch of grass. The staff seemed friendly enough, although the young lady serving me had to stop what she was doing several times in order to explain at some length to a colleague what needed to be done with a consignment of tea towels that had recently arrived.

The bar area at the front of the pub is a fairly small room with just the bar counter and a few stools along the wall opposite. Off of this was a reasonably attractive snug area with a beam or two on the ceiling, a red and green colour scheme and a few pictures and gilded mirrors on the wall. Unfortunately this was closed off with a reserved sign attached to a baby’s high chair blocking the entrance way, although the chances of anyone turning up to use it at 9:00pm on a mid-week evening seemed unlikely. Down a couple of steps to the rear of the pub, you are first of all confronted with a large carvery counter with a seating area next to this, and beyond this it opens out in to a more modern extension with plenty of glazing giving a light and airy feel and cream wood panelling cladding the arched roof.

Food wise, the menu concentrated very much on the carvery, with other options being severely limited. In fact the “Pub classics” section of the menu contained just three dishes – Fish and chips, Pie of the day, or half a roast chicken and these were priced somewhere around the £4 mark. I went for a vegetarian option, naively thinking that at £5.99 it was almost double the price of some of the other options and so must be a half decent dish. Sadly I was mistaken. I thought that the Sage Roasted Butternut Squash which the menu described as “Butternut squash and sage layered with a rich tomato sauce topped with creamy spinach and ricotta sauce, finished with breadcrumbs, pecorino regato cheese and pumpkin seeds” sounded quite tasty, but what arrived was something so obviously straight out the micro-wave it was laughable. Served in a soup bowl it consisted of a collapsed pile of food looking something like a rather sorry lasagne. The creamy sauce consisted of no more than a teaspoonful of something that had long since dried up and neither the breadcrumbs, pecorino or pumpkin seeds were discernable. On the plus side, the arrangement was that I then helped myself to vegetables from the carvery counter, and whilst there was a reasonable selection here, much of it was past it’s best having clearly been sat there for some time, with the roast potatoes in particular reminding me of something I used to get at school. Healthy eating would appear not to be high on the priorities here, since quite remarkably almost every desert managed to incorporate toffee, caramel, fudge, butterscotch or treacle. Alternatively the princely sum of £1.99 you could opt for “all you can eat” ice cream.

The solitary beer on tap was Bombardier, although there were two other pumps on the bar that appeared unused, so perhaps on occasions there is more choice. Somehow I doubt it though. The solitary cider was Strongbow unfortunately. All in all, a pub best avoided.

1 Thank Blackth0rn