“"Does what it says on the tin"”
Review of Highwayman Hotel

Highwayman Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
“"Does what it says on the tin"”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We booked a weekend stay at the Highwayman , 2 nights for £50.... a bargain !
Upon arriving at the hotel we were given keys to our room and were not told of any check out times or anything really ,the corridor to our room was in poor condition with wall paper coming off the walls and a mouldy smell ....not very inviting ....our room was very poorly furnished and there were half used shower gels in the shower ( obviously an oversight by housekeeping ) but seemed clean ! The only saving grace was the bed which was white linen and upon peeling the sheets back it was spotless and very comfortable so we could ignore the poor decor.
The housekeeper the following morning was very polite and supplied us with plenty of extra coffee and milk which is nice .
The morning of departure at approximately 11:15am we had two managers banging on the door telling us very sarcastically we should have checked ou at 10.00am so i explained we were packed and on arrival no one had said so we presumed like most places it would be 12.00am ....their attitudes did stink a little upon departure but we were glad to leave anyway !
All in all if we had paid more we would have been dissapointed but as it was we just wanted a bed to lay our heads in and cheap and that is what we got .
If your bothered about service and a nice stay book elsewhere this is a very low budget Hotel .
All in a an OK stay .

1 Thank Katrina T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

sorry to say but the Highwayman is not what it used to be. I accept that it was cheap but only the same as Premier Inn or Holiday Inn. The building is tired with areas of wall paper pealing from the wall signs of mold around the windows, bath rubber, bathroom cieling and the box in of the extractor system. The pipe in the corner of the room that errupted into song at 5am was the final straw. When I raised these issues it was treated with the response I was expecting upon which my suggestion that the scrap of paper it was written on would go to no one and just find its way to the bottom of the bin and never be dealt with received an appropriate response and as I looked over my shoulder I saw the paper finish the final part of its' ark into the bin. A cheap hotel with an ok ish breakfast frequented by sales guys trying to prove they are the next big thing and a quality of finish that leaves alot to be desired.
The only good feature was the staff in the serving at breakfast, however I would prefer staffing issues to be discussed out of ear shot of customers.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Malln2

Travellers are raving about these Dunstable hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

My partner & I have been staying at Highwayman couple of times & we never disappointed with the service provided. Good, wholesome pub foods, variety of choice from the menu, cooked well, could not fault anything. We are highly recommend if you are in that area.

• Stayed May 2012
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We weren't robbed at the Highwayman for one night.
Pleasant hotel attached to a lively pub providing decent meals at good prices.
Check in was quick and easy, lady was helpful and answered questions.
If in the area would stay again, room was clean and had good shower,

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Ok the price was really great...........But! I have had to take photographs of the dismal bad bad quality of the room as I intend to complain higher, the room we stayed in was nothing but a health hazard! I didn't bother complaining to the staff whom were actually really nice and helpful hence the 2stars, the room itself had rips in the net curtain, the main light was hanging off with duct tape round it! The bathroom was dirty, had mould growing, tiles hanging off the wall, peeling Lino and the cold tap span round and round!! The double bed was only marginally bigger than a single but was comfortable and I will say that despite the bathroom the room was clean but a health hazard! The corridors stank of mould and the thinness of the ceiling, walls etc meant that at 3am I was woken by the people upstairs getting ready for the airport!
If you want a real slum dog experience that's really cheap here's your place but if not then spend a tender more and rent a better hotel!!!!!

1 Thank Jakki D
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here on Saturday the 4th of August in order for us to attend an urgent appointment early in London on the Sunday. I looked everywhere and the cheapest accommodation I could find anywhere in London was £180 per night (mainly hotels cashing in on the olympics) so this was a real bonus at only £30 a night and 40 minutes travel to central London on the train. We were happy with the room size and all of the furnishings (flat screen TV, hifi and kettle etc.). We both found that the double bed was comfortable and we both got a good night’s sleep. The hotel provided my fiancé with a hair dryer as she had forgot to pack her own with no problem. I would agree that the room and bathroom needed general updating but unlike a previous reviewer we did not have problems that I would consider dangerous.

On the plus side, the staff were particularly friendly and we had an excellent meal in the pub. We had a very enjoyable one night break and would have no hesitation in staying here again if visiting the area. Don't expect a modern, bright "motel" but an oldie-style friendly pub
All in all for £30 it’s not a bad place to stay.

1 Thank richiehals
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I recently stayed here for a week and found it a fantastic value for money. As the hotel is adjoined to a hungry horse resteraunt there is a huge selection of foods to choose from and fairly cheep for the portions you get. Very friendly bar and hotel staff and always there to help. My room was a double with a double bed and a single, bath and shower room and digital tv, very clean and spacious. I stayed upstairs and can only vouch for the upstairs rooms as they are all the same.would definitely recommend to anyone who wanted a cheap value for money place to stay in the area.so good I've booked ahead for the next 4 weeks as I'm working in the area.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
The Old Palace Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Leighton Buzzard
Chiltern Hotel
Chiltern Hotel
#19 of 25 in Luton

Been to Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!