“Wouldn't waste your money. (Food only)”
Review of Highwayman Hotel

Highwayman Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend have come down to dunstable for a christening and decided to try somewhere (other than the hotel) for dinner. We walked in with the foodball blaring on, and found the only table that looked secluded. The table was dirty but being an ex waitresses I moved all the stuff away and sat down. My boyfriend went and ordered our meals and drinks, my red wine tasted funny like it had been opened for about two weeks but I ignored it. My boyfriend forgot to order chips with my meal so quickly went back to the bar and tried to add them to the meal...the guy at the bar told him no he cannot order the chips as he already asked him when ordering if he wanted to add chips (boyfriend though the dinner choice included chips) in the end we did get the chips with my meal. Food was bland and not tasty, mixed with my old wine put us both off having desert. We both wish we had tried the harvester now!

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Arrived at the Highwayman hotel on 21/2/14. We were shown to our room. We noticed Wall plaster falling off two walls, mould on the floor by the walls, a crack in the plaster of another wall. Water in the bath, rust running down the tiles in the bathroom, the wash hand basin had a crack in it, The toilet was dirty, as we went to leave the room we noticed a threadbare (torn?) carpet near the bathroom. The room smelt of damp. The Receptionist said he 'had slept in all the rooms of the hotel and not had a problem'. The Manager did offer a meal and a drink, it was not clear if this was free or discounted or full price. We declined, and decided to leave. On the way out we noticed some room doors were very dirty

Room Tip: Don't book in here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Not eaten here before but fancied a local steak and willing to see how the food/value etc was. Had a prawn cocktail starter - happy with the portion, nice bread (but as in many places the butter was hard & not spreadable, easy fix thought) bland sauce also (another easy fix)...onto mains of 14oz Rump steak cooked to my request of medium, the most tasty piece of steak I've had for quite sometime good quality/value & that dish is highly recommended by myself. Would revisit yum!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Booked a single room for £20 . Room was clean , tidy and comfortable bed. Was nice and quiet with no noise from bar coming thought.
When booking in notice on reception asking you to ring ext and some one would be with you shortly ,rung, gruff voice answered Bar. explaining was checking in said would be over in a few minutes. Aprox 15 minutes rung again , this time some one politely answered and came over . Booked in. but whole time there never saw Reception manned.
Needs to be looked at

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ken H
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel room was cheap single 20 pounds for a single breakfast 7 pounds sheets were fresh bath prity clean service brilliant breakfast fresh and well presented allround well worth the time recommend it to anybody

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank jackbeafd
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I booked a single room at the Highwayman for one night for the price of £26.90 including a Full English Breakfast. It was excellent value, the bed was clean and comfortable, with a writing desk, TV, cupboard to hang clothes, kettle (tea and coffee) and with a decent en-suite (the shower was hot and had good water pressure!). The breakfast was great with cereal for starters and a proper breakfast for a main! All the staff that I met during my stay were very friendly and welcoming aswell.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AlecCanwell
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

You never really know what you're going to get here. Good service, ok service, poor service..

So, this is my 3rd time here. The second time was free, due to a courtesy stay, due to a really bad experience the first time. I won't go into it, but it wasn't the hotels fault. Loud chavs and thugs taking over the place, fire engines and fire alarms all night.

One room had a dead fly on the wall and smelt musty. The TV remote was broken and the kettle was dirty. Another room was fine. Clean and tidy. The room I'm in now, is clean and tidy, the tv works, kettle is clean, but no soap and low on toilet roll. There are signs in the bathrooms asking that unused towels should be left on the rail, so they don't have to be washed. Good I suppose, for the electric cost, but not everyone is honest. All towels should be washed regardless. Ok, so that's the rooms.

The staff are ok. Not that professional really. I would not employ any of them. Today, the check in staff member didn't smile or say hello, or even welcome. He just said sign here, and gave me the key.

The average cost for a single room is £20. I think that £8 per room, would be a suitable price, to reflect the service and overall quality

Good Luck

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Carl C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
#16 of 27 in Luton
Redwings Lodge Dunstable
Redwings Lodge Dunstable
#5 of 9 in Dunstable

Been to Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!