“You get what you pay for!!”
Review of Highwayman Hotel

Highwayman Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked this hotel for 1 night before we flew from Luton airport. We paid £20 for the night. On the return flight the cost for 1 night stay was over £50 if I had paid this I would have certainly complained but as we only paid £20 like I say you get what you pay for.
Good points: 10 mins from airport, bed was reasonably comfortable, room was clean.
Bad points: The building has a hostel/halfway house feel and look to it people constantly in and out all hours of the day and night if you want sleep then go somewhere else,the fire alarm went off we came out of our room to the very potent smell of cannabis. The fire door banged very loudly and could be clearly heard in our room 2 rooms down , until someone wedged a sponge to stop it thank god no more banging but created a fire risk!! The mould on the window frame was the worst I have ever seen and obviously had not been cleaned in a very long time. This hotel not that it resembles a hotel in anyway is an absolute dump. If you are looking for a cheap place to get your head down and don,t care about anything else then this is the place for you. Otherwise stay away.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Don't go to this hotel.
Go to the Premier Inn just down the road. You know what you will get there.
Stayed in room 35. Damp musky smell on entering. Bathroom door would not shut. My wife had a bath and when the plug was pulled the water went all over the floor. After a long journey we were too tired to complain.
Will never use this hotel again and I advise others not to.

Room Tip: Go to the Premier Inn down the roaf
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Booked in for two weeks by a training company, some staff were friendly, room smell of drains spend night in car, smoke alarm went off at 1am. Second night booked into another hotel just to get some sleep. Only book this hotel if you don't have a sense of smell, don't mind the shower tray filling up while in it, not to fussy about getting any sleep.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel on Sunday 8th because I was flying early next morning at luton airport.
I only paid £18 for the both of us and for that I found my stay absolutely fine! The hungry horse is attached to the hotel, me and the wife had food and drinks there which was lovely then came up to the room and watched a film then slept in a comfy bed.
Yes the room does need little improvements like painting touch ups or better light fittings but seriously we paid £18 and for that I recon I had a bargain!
You get all the tea and coffee facilities, wifi plus free view tv in the room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Husband daughter (19) and I stayed one night here in order to visit the Harry Potter Studio. We were given rooms on 2 different floors. Our room on the first floor was basic but passable, daughter's on the ground floor was very tatty with broken tiles in the bathroom and curtains hanging off the rails. The corridors smelled badly of smoke due, we assumed , to the fact that all the fire escapes were propped open and people were smoking on the fire escapes..We closed the fire doors only to find that they were repeatedly re-opened giving obvious cause for concern for security of both our possessions and frankly ourselves. On returning to our room after dinner we were subjected to some very hostile stares and indeed comments from the lurkers on the fire escape. I suspect that this 'hotel' is mainly used to house claimants who live here full time. Suffice to say our daughter refused to stay in her room on her own and I had to stay with her. We barracaded ourselves in as did my husband but it was hard to sleep given the amount of shouting and general banging about that seemed to go on into the early hours. Dinner was standard Hungry Horse fare and ok but breakfast was very poor and we were treated to the edifying sight on one of the residents taking breakfast in her onesie, very classy!
Never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, don't even consider it with children or if you are a non smoker.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 34nella
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was a Hungry Horse Inn (no I'd never heard of them either). The room, a single was clean and with an ensuite but so hot. I immeditely went to turn off the radiator and discovered that it wasn't on! Noisy floors also made for an unsatisfactory nights sleep. The food was probably the high point. Perfectly acceptable of its kind (burgers, chips etc)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I booked two nights through an internet site. Fair enough, it was not expensive, £35 per night, but I did expect better than I got. Firstly I had travelled for 6 hours, and just wanted to relax in the room. I was given a key, and told my room number. When I got to the room, the bed had been slept in and was not made up, and the towels were dirty and had obviously been used. I complained, and the did clean it and gave me a complimentary drink while I waited. However, the room had four lights, 3 of which didn't work and the fourth, the main central ceiling light did work, but the opaque glass shade was missing, ( see photo) so made it very very bright. I went to put my washing gear in the bathroom, to find that the glass shelf was missing, so had nowhere to put my toothbrush toothpaste etc. Also there were no soap, shower gel etc. I also noticed that there was a tile lying on the end of the bath, where they had been on the wall.(see photo) The reveal at the side of the window was peeling paint badly, and looked as if it had been for years.( photo). The furniture would have been rejected by Oxfam, with the hinge on the wardrobe being broke, so the door wouldn't close. I went to bed, to find that in a room close by, a male and female were arguing as he wanted sex and she didn't, she ended up screaming loudly several times for him to get away from her, eventually after a couple of hours, someone knocked at their door, and after a short discussion the male left, obviously reluctantly and far from quietly. However after a while, he returned and started knocking at the door and at the window. I eventually got to sleep at about 2.30am. I needed to be at an appointment at 9.00 am, and wanted breakfast before leaving. Unfortunately breakfast seems to be timed for the non-workers who I am sure the government pay to stay there, and didn't start until 9.30.
I had paid for two nights, but decided against staying for the second night. I can honestly say this was the most run down and uncared for hotel I have ever stayed in in my 61 years. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mac M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
#16 of 27 in Luton
Thistle Express Luton
Thistle Express Luton
#10 of 27 in Luton

Been to Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!