“Not robbers afterall !”
Review of Highwayman Hotel

Highwayman Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Ate here with a business party mid week. A table for twelve was created instantly and with no fuss. Despite the name the value for money on the food was excellent to the point where I reluctantly had to leave some due to impressive portion size! Service was blunt but swift and attentive. Well done!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ExecutiveContributer

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Have been to the Highwayman a fair few times now and recently went again , loved the food and our waitress Sophie was a lovely girl , so nice to see the younger generation being so polite and helpful , to be honest they were all rushed off their feet but still all coped very well .

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I arrived at this hotel at 5.00pm on Saturday, 19th July 2014, as I was attending an event in the Town at 6.30, there was no-one at the check-in desk so rang the number for assistance, was given the key to room 38 which is on the 1st floor and when I asked if there was a room on hte ground floor the guy said there were none available as they were all booked up, got into the room and noticed used towels lying around the bathroom, walked into the room and the bed was unmade!!!! I stomped back to the reception desk because I was running on very little time to get ready for my function, had to ring them for assistance again explained the situation and was told someone would be over immediately, which they didn't, I went back to the room thinking they might have gone straight there, found no-one, went to the bar to request immediate assistance as I needed to get ready to leave for my function, the lady I spoke to seemed annoyed that I came to make this reasonabl request and insisted she wanted to inspect the room, giving the impression she thought I was lying or that I had messed up the room or something, her manager came as well after a while and they decided it was the fault of the cleaner who hadn't bothered to clean as the room was occupied when she did her first round, but checkout time is 10.00am, this was now 5.00pm!!! They offered to move me to room 45, again I requested a room on the ground floor and the manager gave me a long scary story of people breaking into ground floor rooms and being a single female it's better to be on the top floor, which I understood. Went to room 45 and I was horrified, it had this tiny little shower that was filthy had broken bits, lime scale all down the tiles to the bottom, which was also filthy and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years, the room itself was in a really bad state, the female staff member tried to explain something about they can't do updates to the rooms because they are always occupied and they need permission from this person or that person, tbh I wasn't listening by that time because that was not my problem, I needed a room to sleep and have a shower and not catch legionnaires or some other disease from the filthy condition. She then offered me ........ wait for it ......... Room 56 on the GROUND FLOOR!!!! Apparently this room had been updated at some point, she implied the update was recent but I think it was some time in the last 3 years, because although it wasn's as disgusting as room 45 it was still not great, the shower stall doors when open left such a narrow openning I had to squeeze myself into it, on account that I'm a larger lady and it was built for a size 10 to comfortably walk in.

I wish I had read reviews before I went so I could have booked the premier inn, for £29 you feel at home, it's clean and accessable to all.

This hotel needs to shut and be gutted, although I guess the pub bit seemed ok.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel at all, never mind a good room, there weren't any!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CynderUK
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've arrived really late at night, but I've managed to catch member of staff before he departed home (it was midnight). Really helpfull staff and pleasant to talk to. We had standard room with all stuff that we needed, maybe except lack of shower gel or shampoo. Despite of that the stay was confortable. Be carefull if you are light sleeper some other neighbours can wake you up since the walls are quite thin.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked this hotel for 1 night before we flew from Luton airport. We paid £20 for the night. On the return flight the cost for 1 night stay was over £50 if I had paid this I would have certainly complained but as we only paid £20 like I say you get what you pay for.
Good points: 10 mins from airport, bed was reasonably comfortable, room was clean.
Bad points: The building has a hostel/halfway house feel and look to it people constantly in and out all hours of the day and night if you want sleep then go somewhere else,the fire alarm went off we came out of our room to the very potent smell of cannabis. The fire door banged very loudly and could be clearly heard in our room 2 rooms down , until someone wedged a sponge to stop it thank god no more banging but created a fire risk!! The mould on the window frame was the worst I have ever seen and obviously had not been cleaned in a very long time. This hotel not that it resembles a hotel in anyway is an absolute dump. If you are looking for a cheap place to get your head down and don,t care about anything else then this is the place for you. Otherwise stay away.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Don't go to this hotel.
Go to the Premier Inn just down the road. You know what you will get there.
Stayed in room 35. Damp musky smell on entering. Bathroom door would not shut. My wife had a bath and when the plug was pulled the water went all over the floor. After a long journey we were too tired to complain.
Will never use this hotel again and I advise others not to.

Room Tip: Go to the Premier Inn down the roaf
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Booked in for two weeks by a training company, some staff were friendly, room smell of drains spend night in car, smoke alarm went off at 1am. Second night booked into another hotel just to get some sleep. Only book this hotel if you don't have a sense of smell, don't mind the shower tray filling up while in it, not to fussy about getting any sleep.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
#21 of 26 in Luton
Pines Hotel
Pines Hotel
#13 of 26 in Luton

Been to Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!