“Weekend break”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Dunstable
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel as it was near to Luton Hoo where we were attending a function. Our room was adequate with very comfortable clean beds, but the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The shower leaked so we could not use it but there was a bath. The bathroom looked tired and could have done with a makeover. Although the bedroom overlooked the carpark we were not disturbed by any noise.
We had one evening meal in the restaurant which was nothing special but reasonably priced. There were a lot of families eating during the evening so it made it quite noisy with children running around. Staff were attentive.
Breakfast was served in the same restaurant in the morning but not until 9.30 am on the Sunday morning. You had to help yourself to tea/coffee which was not that hot and make your own toast with the toaster supplied. The full English breakfast was good and well served and value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer block on 1 st floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night as I was working in the area for two days. I booked via their website on Sunday and submitted my debit card details for the £50.00 bill. On arrival, I was asked for payment again. When I suggested that I had payed when booking, I was told rather tersely that they wouldn't have taken payment at that time. Not sure why they ask for debit card details than?
Room was clean enough although rather dowdy and tired. Bathroom had a fair bit of mildew together with an old bath sponge someone had left behind.
I asked about breakfast (which wasn't included although I though I was booking a BB from the AA recommendation site. Told restaurant opened at 7.00 which I confirmed with the bar staff at dinner. By 7.25 the restaurant still hadn't opened for breakfast so I had to leave it as I was dupatta site by 7.45
Quite disappointed and I doubt I would book this chain (Hungry Horse) again. In any event, I have misgivings at ANY restaurant offering TWO twenty ounce rump steaks with chips, mushroom, etc etc as a dish on the menu when so many people rely on food banks.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Dunstable hotels

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Ate here with a business party mid week. A table for twelve was created instantly and with no fuss. Despite the name the value for money on the food was excellent to the point where I reluctantly had to leave some due to impressive portion size! Service was blunt but swift and attentive. Well done!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ExecutiveContributer
dunstable england
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Have been to the Highwayman a fair few times now and recently went again , loved the food and our waitress Sophie was a lovely girl , so nice to see the younger generation being so polite and helpful , to be honest they were all rushed off their feet but still all coped very well .

Stayed August 2014
London
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I arrived at this hotel at 5.00pm on Saturday, 19th July 2014, as I was attending an event in the Town at 6.30, there was no-one at the check-in desk so rang the number for assistance, was given the key to room 38 which is on the 1st floor and when I asked if there was a room on hte ground floor the guy said there were none available as they were all booked up, got into the room and noticed used towels lying around the bathroom, walked into the room and the bed was unmade!!!! I stomped back to the reception desk because I was running on very little time to get ready for my function, had to ring them for assistance again explained the situation and was told someone would be over immediately, which they didn't, I went back to the room thinking they might have gone straight there, found no-one, went to the bar to request immediate assistance as I needed to get ready to leave for my function, the lady I spoke to seemed annoyed that I came to make this reasonabl request and insisted she wanted to inspect the room, giving the impression she thought I was lying or that I had messed up the room or something, her manager came as well after a while and they decided it was the fault of the cleaner who hadn't bothered to clean as the room was occupied when she did her first round, but checkout time is 10.00am, this was now 5.00pm!!! They offered to move me to room 45, again I requested a room on the ground floor and the manager gave me a long scary story of people breaking into ground floor rooms and being a single female it's better to be on the top floor, which I understood. Went to room 45 and I was horrified, it had this tiny little shower that was filthy had broken bits, lime scale all down the tiles to the bottom, which was also filthy and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years, the room itself was in a really bad state, the female staff member tried to explain something about they can't do updates to the rooms because they are always occupied and they need permission from this person or that person, tbh I wasn't listening by that time because that was not my problem, I needed a room to sleep and have a shower and not catch legionnaires or some other disease from the filthy condition. She then offered me ........ wait for it ......... Room 56 on the GROUND FLOOR!!!! Apparently this room had been updated at some point, she implied the update was recent but I think it was some time in the last 3 years, because although it wasn's as disgusting as room 45 it was still not great, the shower stall doors when open left such a narrow openning I had to squeeze myself into it, on account that I'm a larger lady and it was built for a size 10 to comfortably walk in.

I wish I had read reviews before I went so I could have booked the premier inn, for £29 you feel at home, it's clean and accessable to all.

This hotel needs to shut and be gutted, although I guess the pub bit seemed ok.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel at all, never mind a good room, there weren't any!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CynderUK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've arrived really late at night, but I've managed to catch member of staff before he departed home (it was midnight). Really helpfull staff and pleasant to talk to. We had standard room with all stuff that we needed, maybe except lack of shower gel or shampoo. Despite of that the stay was confortable. Be carefull if you are light sleeper some other neighbours can wake you up since the walls are quite thin.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked this hotel for 1 night before we flew from Luton airport. We paid £20 for the night. On the return flight the cost for 1 night stay was over £50 if I had paid this I would have certainly complained but as we only paid £20 like I say you get what you pay for.
Good points: 10 mins from airport, bed was reasonably comfortable, room was clean.
Bad points: The building has a hostel/halfway house feel and look to it people constantly in and out all hours of the day and night if you want sleep then go somewhere else,the fire alarm went off we came out of our room to the very potent smell of cannabis. The fire door banged very loudly and could be clearly heard in our room 2 rooms down , until someone wedged a sponge to stop it thank god no more banging but created a fire risk!! The mould on the window frame was the worst I have ever seen and obviously had not been cleaned in a very long time. This hotel not that it resembles a hotel in anyway is an absolute dump. If you are looking for a cheap place to get your head down and don,t care about anything else then this is the place for you. Otherwise stay away.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunstable
Holiday Inn Express Dunstable
Travelodge Toddington M1 Southbound
The Leaside
The Leaside
#3 of 25 in Luton

Been to Highwayman Hotel? Share your experiences!