“Not a four star hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flitwick
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Not a four star hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night and although the hotel itself is nicely situated, the surrounding grounds are not particularly attractive.
Good points:
* Courteous staff
* Attractive hotel and clean
* Room and en-suite well appointed
* Comfortable lounge and warm
* Free wi-fi thank goodness - all hotels should have this.

Bad points:
* disjointed dining arrangements
* power of the shower quite useless
* Food was the most disappointing aspect. We were the only people eating yet it took 80 mins to serve three courses. Had we not been on half board we would never have paid the quite ridiculous prices on the menu. The food was probably the most bland and certainly the worst we have ever had in a hotel. We have had better at the local pub. It was bland, devoid of any flavour and we actually had a laugh about it as it was really that bad - avoid. Breakfast was exactly the same too - how can you muck up a breakfast for goodness sake?? It was all served so you couldn't go back for another orange juice or yoghurt - good way to save money I suppose.
* Facilities, or more like the lack of. How does a hotel like this obtain a four star rating when it has absolutely no facilities? It mentions a croquet lawn (small) and free car park - whoopy doo!!!

All in all, nice staff, sack the cook, get a pool or a sauna or 'something' that rates as a 'facility' becoming of a four star hotel. Won't be going back.....

Stayed February 2012
2 Thank tardis1956
braunston, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Many thanks for your feedback and on the positive aspects of your visit it was pleasing to hear that you found the hotel very clean and the team professional and friendly. Apologies for the problems you encountered over dinner. We were having the Brooks Restaurant refurbished on the week of your visit and I am pleased to report the dining room is re-open and looking splendid. I have discussed your meal with my catering team and it is fair to say they were a little perplexed with your feedback as you specifically ordered, (not from the menu), a very plain chicken breast with chips. The chef on duty obliged your request and cooked to order your chips and a plain supreme of corn fed chicken. I am finding it difficult to align your feedback with the comments from the team that looked after you.
We are a small, country house hotel set in four and a half acres of lovely grounds and gardens and do not promote a host of spa or swimming pool facilities. I am a little surprised you selected our hotel if you were looking for a hotel with a leisure complex. I perhaps think that on this occassion you have selected the wrong hotel for your needs. We are very popular with many companies and individuals that like us for what we are and what we promote - a very good, quiet and charming four star Country House Hotel.

Steven Essex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed here recently on a residential course. I had no expectations but left with only good things to say.

The food was great and freshly made. Bedrooms were spacious and the service outstanding!!

Thanks to all the staff for an excellent stay.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was a pleasure to look after your party for two days in February and I know Tom and his Operational team are thrilled with your lovely feedback.
You have summed up well very the essence and character of the hotel and it is always very re-assuring to hear we have achieved our goals and your feedback is a great motivator to the whole team. Thank you.

Look forward to seeing you both on your first anniversary (or sooner)

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We booked Flitwick for the weekend of our wedding on 3rd and 4th February, for our family and friends. From entering the front door and being welcomed by the wonderful staff not to mention the roaring fire was the beginning of a fantastic weekend. Although we were not get married at Flitwick we were treated like VIPs! All our wedding guests stayed at Flitwick for 2 nights as the wedding was early on the 4th Feb. On the Friday evening we had the most delicious evening meal served to us in our own dining room, beautiful white linen table with candelabras, superb ambience. The staff were fantastic really pleasant and professional. All the rooms are delightful, oozing character and charm. We had the honeymoon suite which is just amazing and was a fantastic room for wedding photos. The morning after our wedding all our guests were sent invites to their room to join us for breakfast, again in the lovely dining room. It was the perfect way to end the wedding weekend enjoying breakfast together before we all set off home. All this was orchestrated by Tom Brierley, who was always at hand to ensure everything ran smoothly, we wanted for nothing. All our guests have said they had a wonderful time at Flitwick and I have to say we are truly grateful that we were able to stay there, it was the perfect place for such a special occasion. We can't wait to return! The grounds are beautiful, it snowed while we were there so we got to see it as two landscapes, absolutely gorgeous! The location is so easy to get to from the motorway or rail. We love Flitwick!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Flitwick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We booked afternoon tea at Flitwick Manor to celebrate my daughter's birthday. After seeing the advertisement on the internet, we thought what could be nicer than having a full cream tea in peaceful and beautiful surroundings.

Although we enjoyed the actual cream tea itself, the surroundings were very faded and worn and generally tired. That room could certainly do with a make-over.

And to make matters worse, while we were enjoying our tea and conversation, forty people appeared from a conference in the room opposite, and proceeded to invade every space in the room while taking their coffee break. The noise was unbearable, and completely spoiled our afternoon, and we were unable to hold even a basic conversation.

When we complained to the young man at the front desk, he apologised, but said he had no control over where these people took their coffee. Surely it would have been better to have served the coffee in the conference room, then everyone would have been happy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Jenny C
Many thanks for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the disruptions during your afternoon tea visit to us. We did have a group with us that were due to have their afternoon refreshments in their meeting room but decided without notice to break into the lounge causing this problem for ten minutes or so.
I am pleased to report the lounge has been fully refurbished and is looking delightful with new wallpapers and furniture. We are shortly introducing a new range of twelve loose leaf teas which will be served in individual self diffusing tea pots which will further enhance our reputation for serving a marvellous afternoon tea. I would like you to be one of the first to experience this new afternoon tea with my compliments. Please contact me at the hotel and I will kindly make all the arrangements.

Look forward to seeing you shortly.

Steven
Chobham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Lovely grounds and house. Staff very friendly and helpful. Second time I've stayed, classically furnished. Food good, only had breakfast this time, but served efficiently and beautifully cooked. Bed is harder than I like, would benefit from a mattress topper, but I still managed to sleep through the night, so couldn't have been that bad :-)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your lovely feedback following your recent second visit to the hotel.

Very pleased to report that we are nearing the end of an extensive refurbishment and as part of this programme we have taken the opportunity of replacing all our beds with new, very high quality beds with a very comfortable mattress 'topper' which further enhances the 'sleep' experience.

Look forward to seeing you for your third visit.

Steven
Brecon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Im torn between giving this place between an average and very good. Beautiful building and grounds and a very good and warm welcome on reception. I decided to eat in my room as the menu in the resturant didnt really give you the option to chose light options that were reasonably priced, and the room menu has a fair choice on offer. The room I was in was individually decorated and the hotel at the time of the stay was undergoing a redecoration throughout. I had twin single beds seperated by wooden beams and made it akward to watch telly from the furthest away bed. The problem with watching it from the nearer bed was that this was adjacent to an interconnecting door to next doors bathroom and it seemed that this bathroom was constucted of some sort of stud wall, which basically meant that you could easily hear and determine what was happening in the toilet, and the guest next door didnt seem to be self aware or concerned about what they did or who heard it...... Room service was fine arrived within 20 minutes, with the only slight gripe that they failed to send any condiments with the tray. Left early the next morning (making sure I made as much noise as possible to repay the person next door) so didnt experience breakfast, but check out was efficient and friendly Overall a nice place that may have been better if the room I had been allocated was different Will possibly tryagain in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 unless of course you enjoy listening to strangers in the next door room use the toilet...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank oscorp
braunston, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thank you for the review and you have raised an issue regarding the noise between your bedroom that has not been raised or mentioned before. I will have a good look at this and during our forthcoming refurbishment we should be able to address this issue. The room you refer too is being upgraded shortly and will boast a six foot double bed and will have the flexibility of being a double or twin room with a zip and link bed.
Our lounge menu is available in the music room if you would prefer to dine 'down stairs' as opposed to room service.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Flitwick Manor and I look forwarding to meeting you.

Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Booked NYE for dinner and disco. £79pp. Gorgeous hotel, public rooms were lovely. Staff were fantastic. Good champagne and canapes. Now the gripes. When we first enquired we were told 25 people had booked and they could cater for max. of 50. When we booked a week before it was still 25 but they may get late bookings. On the night only 18 guests which I feel was not enough for a 'party atmosphere' especially with the disco which struggled with so few people wanting to dance. Now the meal. The menu had just one starterand one fish course, a choice of two mains, one desert (chocolate) and cheese and biscuits. I feel that this is a poor show for an Hotel of this calibre. There could at least have been a good soup and nice ice cream option especially as the max they were catering for was 50! I do not eat chocolate and had to ask for ice cream. The waitress could not say if I could but had to ask the Chef especially, and I had no choice, just vanilla! Next small gripe is the Christmas Crackers! On four tables were rubbish crackers, really cheap. On a table for six were expensive Tesco crackers (I know because I bought the same for Christmas!) and the guests on that table loudly praised their lovely crackers which drew our attention to our rubbish ones! Now surely it was better to have no crackers on NYE if you haven't enough decent ones in a 'good' hotel. Once again I must say the staff were great and joined us at midnight for auld lang syne and the service was second to none but unless the menu is improved and there is more incentive to attract guests then we won't be returning next NYE. (I believe the cost for a couple for NYE plus b & b was over £400!)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your candid feedback on New Years Eve and I take all of your comments on board for next year and have discussed with the team to establish where and how we can make improvements. We did enjoy a very busy Christmas season, however we were a little dissapointed in the late pick up for our NYE event.
I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your NYE with us and the team looked after you well.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel throughout 2012.

Steven Essex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flitwick
The Woburn Hotel
The Barns Hotel
The Barns Hotel
#2 of 17 in Bedford
BEST WESTERN Moore Place Hotel

Been to Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor? Share your experiences!